Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #1
keaton
Human being with feelings

Default Scrolling issues in macOS (SOLVED)

EDIT: Have found a fix in reply below

Hello,

I am evaluating Reaper and have a weird scrolling issue on Mac OS (11.6.4) where for some reason the view keeps wanting to snap back to the playhead as demonstrated here:

https://i.imgur.com/IWDU9JQ.mp4

I've searched some older threads for scrolling issues previous versions of Reaper but it seems to be a graphics issue that was fixed. I don't think in my case it's a graphics issue as there is perfectly smooth and responsive scrolling elsewhere in the interface. No issue on Windows.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by keaton; 06-11-2022 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Link to solution
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
mlprod

Options menu: turn off "auto scroll view during playback".
Old 05-10-2022, 01:21 AM   #3
keaton

Hello.

Thanks for the response. Hasn't made a difference i'm afraid.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
nepenthe

This is something that you need to configure yourself in the Actions section.

Open the Actions list and search for the "Transport" actions. What you're describing is Transport: Play/Pause (default: control+space). You can modify this to use the space bar if you'd like. You can test these functions by pressing the "Run" button in the lower right of the Actions window.

Grab your favorite beverage and spend some time scrolling through this section as there is an unbelievable amount of stuff you can and should set up. This is also where one often must go to set up whatever new features have been added during an update as these often lack default bindings.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
keaton

Thanks for the reply. Am actually not talking about stop/start of playback. Just scrolling. Seems like a bug rather than a preference issue?
Old 05-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #6
nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton View Post
Thanks for the reply. Am actually not talking about stop/start of playback. Just scrolling. Seems like a bug rather than a preference issue?
Omg sorry didn’t see the link. That’s a weird issue. Definitely not the snap back that I thought you were talking about! :-)

What sort of input devices are connected to your computer?

Edit: it almost seems like the “ key for scrolling to the cursor is being held down.

Last edited by nepenthe; 05-11-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
keaton

No problem! No input devices connected, just using the trackpad on my MacBook air. Will double check the " key isn't being held and get back to you. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:25 AM   #8
dennech

Quote:
Hello,

I am evaluating Reaper and have a weird scrolling issue on Mac OS (11.6.4) where for some reason the view keeps wanting to snap back to the playhead as demonstrated here:

https://i.imgur.com/IWDU9JQ.mp4

I've searched some older threads for scrolling issues previous versions of Reaper but it seems to be a graphics issue that was fixed. I don't think in my case it's a graphics issue as there is perfectly smooth and responsive scrolling elsewhere in the interface. No issue on Windows.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have the same problem, and I have not yet found how to fix it. It's only on the trackpad when scrolling horizontally. The cursor comes back the same way as in your video.
dennech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:42 AM   #9
keaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Edit: it almost seems like the “ key for scrolling to the cursor is being held down.
Just checked and this key is not being held down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennech View Post
I have the same problem, and I have not yet found how to fix it. It's only on the trackpad when scrolling horizontally. The cursor comes back the same way as in your video.
Interesting. Does it qualify as a bug I wonder?
Old 05-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #10
nepenthe

Quote:
Just checked and this key is not being held down.

Interesting. Does it qualify as a bug I wonder?
I am not able to reproduce this with my MacBook Pro trackpad. What sort of troubleshooting steps have you tried?
Have you tried plugging in a mouse? Or changing your Mac OS input setting or the gesture settings in Reaper?
Old 05-14-2022, 01:26 AM   #11
keaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
I am not able to reproduce this with my MacBook Pro trackpad. What sort of troubleshooting steps have you tried?
Have you tried plugging in a mouse? Or changing your Mac OS input setting or the gesture settings in Reaper?
I don't have a mouse to try unfortunately. Mac OS trackpad settings are (I think) the default but tried messing with those to no avail.

Having a play around with the Reaper options but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'll keep trying, perhaps the solution's in there somewhere.

Interesting that you're not having any issues with your Mac trackpad. I've deleted the Reaper user folder to reset everything to default and re-installed but it's still the same. Will post back if I find a solution. Presumably this is not something other mac trackpad users are experiencing.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #12
nepenthe

Quote:
I don't have a mouse to try unfortunately. Mac OS trackpad settings are (I think) the default but tried messing with those to no avail.

Having a play around with the Reaper options but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'll keep trying, perhaps the solution's in there somewhere.

Interesting that you're not having any issues with your Mac trackpad. I've deleted the Reaper user folder to reset everything to default and re-installed but it's still the same. Will post back if I find a solution. Presumably this is not something other mac trackpad users are experiencing.
I'm a bit surprised that none of the dev team has stepped in yet. But maybe post a bug report or post to the Q&A forum. This Mac forum doesn't get the most visitors TBH.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:36 AM   #13
keaton

Ok, cheers for the help. I'll try cross-posting to a busier forum before I post a bug to see if it's something with my set up.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:52 AM   #14
keaton

Hello,

I have found the issue! By default, Reaper has Vertical Scroll set to Horizontal Zoom. This works fine for using a mouse but with a trackpad (at least in my case with a Mac, which is quite sensitive) it is causing the odd stutter described in my first post because when looking to scroll across with two-finger swipe, a slight move down/upwards is triggering the zoom.

To fix:
1. Hit '?' to show Actions
2. Search for 'View: Zoom horizontally (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)'
3. Delete 'Mousewheel'. Zoom can still be achieved with multitouch gesture (as enabled by default in Preferences > Keyboard/Multitouch)

Optionally, (as I have done) you may want to add 'Mousewheel' to the action 'View: Zoom vertically (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)' and now you should find that using the trackpad behaves as it does in other Mac apps where you can two-finger swipe and the arrange view pans in both dimensions.

The other alteration I've made is to switch the HorizWheel trigger to 'View: Scroll horizontally reversed (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)' so that Reaper how my trackpad works in other apps (I'm not sure if this is the default Mac setting or if i've altered the Mac preferences in the past).

Am surprised this hasn't been reported by other Mac trackpad users but am glad to have it fixed and hope this may help others.

Last edited by keaton; 06-11-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:27 AM   #15
interestica

Quote:
Hello,

I have found the issue! By default, Reaper has Vertical Scroll set to Horizontal Zoom. This works fine for using a mouse but with a trackpad (at least in my case with a Mac, which is quite sensitive) it is causing the odd stutter described in my first post because when looking to scroll across with two-finger swipe, a slight move down/upwards is triggering the zoom.

To fix:
1. Hit '?' to show Actions
2. Search for 'View: Zoom horizontally (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)'
3. Delete 'Mousewheel'. Zoom can still be achieved with multitouch gesture (as enabled by default in Preferences > Keyboard/Multitouch)
Confirmed that this fix works on macOS 12.6 (Monterey) + MacBook Pro (2020) + Magic Trackpad as well as built-in trackpad. Thanks for this!
interestica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:21 AM   #16
keaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestica View Post
Confirmed that this fix works on macOS 12.6 (Monterey) + MacBook Pro (2020) + Magic Trackpad as well as built-in trackpad. Thanks for this!
You're welcome. Glad it helped you!