Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-05-2021, 06:02 AM   #1601
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsazsi View Post
Hi Everyone!

First I would like to thank You Geoff and all who contributed to the project so far all the great work. I recently (2 days ago) bought a Behringer X-Touch Mini, my config can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/matezsolt/x-touch_mini_csi

It's a work in progress but hope that someone find it useful.

regards

Zsazsi
Nice work! One small point, the rotary encoders on the Mini only have 7 acceleration values, so the definition would be:
Code:
Widget Rotary1
	Encoder b0 10 7f [ > 01-07 < 41-47 ]
	FB_Encoder b0 10 7f
WidgetEnd
I'm not sure how much difference this would make in reality, but it doesn't hurt to be accurate.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #1602
zsazsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Nice work! One small point, the rotary encoders on the Mini only have 7 acceleration values, so the definition would be:
Code:
Widget Rotary1
	Encoder b0 10 7f [ > 01-07 < 41-47 ]
	FB_Encoder b0 10 7f
WidgetEnd
Feels more responsive! Updated https://github.com/matezsolt/x-touch_mini_csi with it and more fx zones.

Thank You!
zsazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #1603
UNdark

Quote:
This is the same as me, with the slight difference that the FX menu (along with sends and receives) appear on my C4 when a track is selected.

Have you tried something along the lines of:
Code:
        SomeButton      FXMenuSlotBank -1
        SomeButton      Reaper "_S&M_SELFXPREV"
        SomeButton      GoCurrentFXSlot
I have been trying that one thanks man - works correctly, as in, the correct plug zones work with the correct plugins, but no fascia shows up.. ( which was actually very interesting!) i wiggled the commands a bit to get the fx chain window and tog up and down the fx but the fx are out of sync with the zone on the MCU. I haven't applied enough time to it yet, but i will. Floating FX working well, but this could be one button press less Still focusing on the FX template for synths and getting the synths up and going. Love it though. Nothing else does this
Old 10-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #1604
majnu

Default Custom Encoder Tick Size

Hi,
I am getting most things to work really well! But since I switched to CSI 1.1 I can't set the custom encoder tick sizes anymore (or at least they are being ignored).

I use this:
Code:
Rotary1 FXParam 0 "Speed" [ (0.01) ]
but the knob in the plugin does not turn any faster than without the delta.

Steps do work:
Code:
Rotary1 FXParam 0 "Speed" [ 0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0 ]
The .mst has:
Code:
Widget Rotary1
	Encoder b0 60 7f
WidgetEnd
And this is the output when I turn the knob one tick:
Code:
IN <- D400 Rotary1 0.007937
IN <- D400 Rotary1 -0.007937
I use CSI 1.1(uploaded on August 21, 2021 at 12:24 AM) and Reaper (6.36).

Any ideas about what could be wrong?
majnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #1605
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNdark View Post
I have been trying that one thanks man - works correctly, as in, the correct plug zones work with the correct plugins, but no fascia shows up.. ( which was actually very interesting!) i wiggled the commands a bit to get the fx chain window and tog up and down the fx but the fx are out of sync with the zone on the MCU. I haven't applied enough time to it yet, but i will. Floating FX working well, but this could be one button press less Still focusing on the FX template for synths and getting the synths up and going. Love it though. Nothing else does this
Yeah, they go out of sync too easily Much like the XOR toggles, there's no hard link between the selected FX in the FX chain and the plugin that's mapped with the SelectedTrackNavigator.

However, if you were to use the FocusedFXNavigator c/w the FX menu, whatever FX you select in the FX chain will be the FX that maps. It sounds like Geoff has been doing some work on the FocusedFXNavigator and the focus/unfocus thing has improved. Could be time to give it another look....
Old 10-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #1606
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by majnu View Post
Hi,
I am getting most things to work really well! But since I switched to CSI 1.1 I can't set the custom encoder tick sizes anymore (or at least they are being ignored).

I use this:
Code:
Rotary1 FXParam 0 "Speed" [ (0.01) ]
but the knob in the plugin does not turn any faster than without the delta.

Steps do work:
Code:
Rotary1 FXParam 0 "Speed" [ 0.0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0 ]
The .mst has:
Code:
Widget Rotary1
	Encoder b0 60 7f
WidgetEnd
And this is the output when I turn the knob one tick:
Code:
IN <- D400 Rotary1 0.007937
IN <- D400 Rotary1 -0.007937
I use CSI 1.1(uploaded on August 21, 2021 at 12:24 AM) and Reaper (6.36).

Any ideas about what could be wrong?
What does the raw MIDI from the Asparion rotary look like? Is there any acceleration?

To see the raw MIDI data, temporarily move the .mst file out of the CSI folder and restart Reaper (or use the Exp build of CSI, which has this as an option). Then monitor the input from the surface as normal.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:35 AM   #1607
CBowling

Just wanted to post an update for those of you who were helping me out a few days back:

Behringer agreed that it sounded like my device was faulty, so they approved a warranty return via Amazon. A new unit is already on the way (to be delivered tomorrow) and I will be returning the old one.

Will report back once I have the new unit, but hopefully shouldn't have any issues with the faders not working!
CBowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:59 AM   #1608
majnu

Quote:
What does the raw MIDI from the Asparion rotary look like? Is there any acceleration?

To see the raw MIDI data, temporarily move the .mst file out of the CSI folder and restart Reaper (or use the Exp build of CSI, which has this as an option). Then monitor the input from the surface as normal.
Hi, I used the experimental version of CSI and get this for one click to the right and one click to the left. I did not activate acceleration.

Code:
IN <- D400 b0  60  01 
IN <- D400 b0  60  41
Thanks for trying to help me out!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:38 AM   #1609
MixMonkey

Quote:
Hi, I used the experimental version of CSI and get this for one click to the right and one click to the left. I did not activate acceleration.

Code:
IN <- D400 b0  60  01 
IN <- D400 b0  60  41
Thanks for trying to help me out!
Try putting those values into the .mst:

Code:
Widget Rotary1
	Encoder b0 60 7f [ > 01 < 41 ]
WidgetEnd
Do the rotaries have acceleration? If they do, you should include the acceleration values in the above definition.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #1610
majnu

Quote:
Try putting those values into the .mst:

Code:
Widget Rotary1
	Encoder b0 60 7f [ > 01 < 41 ]
WidgetEnd
Do the rotaries have acceleration? If they do, you should include the acceleration values in the above definition.
I tried it out but now the knob only makes tiny, slow movements. (I don't use acceleration).

EDIT: sorry, I did have acceleration on at that moment. Now that I have turned it off, the knob does turn, but it still ignores the custom encoder tick sizes. What is funny, is that the CSI output now shows this for both a left and a right turn of the encoder:

Code:
IN <- D400 Rotary1 0.000000
IN <- D400 Rotary1 0.000000

Last edited by majnu; 10-06-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #1611
MixMonkey

Quote:
I tried it out but now the knob only makes tiny, slow movements. (I don't use acceleration). What do the values [ > 01 < 41 ] mean?
They're the values that (should) be output from your rotary when it's turned CW/CCW. I just wondered if the reason you couldn't rescale the rotary was because they weren't present in the .mst.

For instance, my MackieC4 rotaries output these values as they are turned faster:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 15 7f [ > 01 04 08 0C 0f < 41 44 48 4c 4f ]
	FB_Encoder b0 15 7f
WidgetEnd
..and in an fx.zon, my 'default' scaling is this:

Code:
DisplayUpperD1 FXParamNameDisplay 0 "Thresh"
DisplayLowerD1 FXParamValueDisplay 0  
RotaryD1 FXParam 0 [ (0.001,0.005,0.025,0.05,0.1) ]
RotaryPushD1 NoAction
There's one scaling value for each of the 5 accelerations.

What happens if you change your scaling value from 0.01 to 0.5?
Old 10-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #1612
majnu

Quote:
They're the values that (should) be output from your rotary when it's turned CW/CCW. I just wondered if the reason you couldn't rescale the rotary was because they weren't present in the .mst.

For instance, my MackieC4 rotaries output these values as they are turned faster:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 15 7f [ > 01 04 08 0C 0f < 41 44 48 4c 4f ]
	FB_Encoder b0 15 7f
WidgetEnd
..and in an fx.zon, my 'default' scaling is this:

Code:
RotaryD1 FXParam 0 [ (0.001,0.005,0.025,0.05,0.1) ]
RotaryPushD1 NoAction
There's one scaling value for each of the 5 accelerations.

What happens if you change your scaling value from 0.01 to 0.5?
Thanks, I understand the values now. Did you see the edit of my last post? Maybe that gives a clue.

Setting [ (0.5) ] or [ (0.01) ] makes no difference. It seems like the Asparion device ist configured correctly (also in the .mst), but that CSI somehow does not transform the values. Again, I can set discrete steps, only the deltas don't work.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #1613
MixMonkey

Quote:
Setting [ (0.5) ] or [ (0.01) ] makes no difference. It seems like the Asparion device ist configured correctly (also in the .mst), but that CSI somehow does not transform the values.
I dug a bit deeper into this and as far as I can tell, CSI V1.1 won't use the deltas unless there's more than one entry in both the .mst and fx.zon.

So the delta works with this:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 18 7f [ > 01 01 < 41 41 ]
	FB_Encoder b0 18 7f
WidgetEnd
Code:

RotaryD1 FXParam 0 [ (0.1,0.1) ]
RotaryPushD1 NoAction
....but not this:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 18 7f
	FB_Encoder b0 18 7f
WidgetEnd
Code:
RotaryD1 FXParam 0 [ (0.1) ]
RotaryPushD1 NoAction
See if you get the same results.

UPDATE: It turns out you can have a single value in the .mst:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 18 7f [ > 01 < 41 ]
	FB_Encoder b0 18 7f
WidgetEnd
...but you still need two values in the fx.zon:
Code:
RotaryPushD1 NoAction

Last edited by MixMonkey; 10-06-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #1614
majnu

Quote:
I dug a bit deeper into this and as far as I can tell, CSI V1.1 won't use the deltas unless there's more than one entry in both the .mst and fx.zon.

So the delta works with this:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 18 7f [ > 01 01 < 41 41 ]
	FB_Encoder b0 18 7f
WidgetEnd
Code:

RotaryPushD1 NoAction
....but not this:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 18 7f
	FB_Encoder b0 18 7f
WidgetEnd
Code:
RotaryD1 FXParam 0 [ (0.1) ]
RotaryPushD1 NoAction
See if you get the same results.

UPDATE: It turns out you can have a single value in the .mst:
Code:
Widget RotaryD1
	Encoder b0 18 7f [ > 01 < 41 ]
	FB_Encoder b0 18 7f
WidgetEnd
...but you still need two values in the fx.zon:
Code:
RotaryPushD1 NoAction
Yes, this works!! It also works if I write "Encoder b0 60 7f [ > 01 < 41 ]" and "[ (0.1,0.1) ]". Great, thanks! Now is this a bug or a feature? And I wonder if this only happens to me for some reason?
Old 10-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #1615
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yes, this works!! It also works if I write "Encoder b0 60 7f [ > 01 < 41 ]" and "[ (0.1,0.1) ]". Great, thanks! Now is this a bug or a feature? And I wonder if this only happens to me for some reason?
Ah, good This is a (little) bug. It probably hasn't come to light before because most surfaces have acceleration, so it's not an issue.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:49 AM   #1616
UNdark

Default large synth templates..

I was thinkin.. something like the arturia V3 is basically two different synths, hence too many controls to assign. I don't believe or understand how, to get reaper/csi to recognise which of the synths i'm using, as they are integral, so can't write a file for each synth..
Is there a way i could use pages (1 page for each synth) to select a new set of assignments within csi?
This might not seem a well constructed question, my apologies..
I need to create an alternate set of commands for one plugin, depending on which of two internal synths are being used..switched by a "page button" or some other idea..
Possible?
cheers
Old 10-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #1617
FenixSyd

Default Platform M+ with CSI 1.1 Help Please

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Icon Platform M+ and am looking into CSI. I tried the default reaper MCU and it was ok. I also tried out DrivenByMoss and it had one or two nice things but was pretty much the same as the default MCU setup.

I (for the life of me) can't figure out how to setup CSI. I've downloaded CSI 1.1 and have these files in these folders:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\CSI

I downloaded the surface and zone files from this thread and place them in \CSI\Surfaces\Midi\QconPlatformM.mst & \CSI\Zones\PlatformM\QconPlatformM.zon

I goto reaper Control/OSC/Web, add CSI. HomePage is the default, add midi, give it a name, choose the PlatformM+ v2.15 for Midi In/Out, QconPlatformM.mst for "Surface" and PlatformM for "Zone Folder"... save it all in and nothing happens. I've reset the controller, restarted reaper, all the faders are just level, nothing works.

Is there anything I need to do to make these work with CSI 1.1 or something? I've read through hours of these forums and I'm still lost!

TIA
FenixSyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:48 AM   #1618
MixMonkey

Quote:
I was thinkin.. something like the arturia V3 is basically two different synths, hence too many controls to assign. I don't believe or understand how, to get reaper/csi to recognise which of the synths i'm using, as they are integral, so can't write a file for each synth..
Is there a way i could use pages (1 page for each synth) to select a new set of assignments within csi?
I need to create an alternate set of commands for one plugin, depending on which of two internal synths are being used..switched by a "page button" or some other idea..
Possible?
cheers
In circumstances where a single plugin embodies multiple, discrete modes, what I usually do is create a multiple FX chains, each containing the plugin, set to a different mode in each. Within each FX chain I rename the plugin (usually indicating the mode) and save each FX chain separately.

This means that I can have a separate fx.zon for each FX chain and hence each plugin mode.

For instance, with the Relab LX480, I created 3 FX chains: 480Rev, 480Amb and 480Dly. renaming the LX480 within each chain. I created 3 fx.zon files for the 3 modes of operation.

Now, when I want to use the plugin, I load the appropriate FX chain onto the track (if there are already FX on the track, the FX chain is added to what's already there). The renamed LX480 plugin in each chain calls the appropriate map.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:50 AM   #1619
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixSyd View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up a Icon Platform M+ and am looking into CSI. I tried the default reaper MCU and it was ok. I also tried out DrivenByMoss and it had one or two nice things but was pretty much the same as the default MCU setup.

I (for the life of me) can't figure out how to setup CSI. I've downloaded CSI 1.1 and have these files in these folders:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\CSI

I downloaded the surface and zone files from this thread and place them in \CSI\Surfaces\Midi\QconPlatformM.mst & \CSI\Zones\PlatformM\QconPlatformM.zon

I goto reaper Control/OSC/Web, add CSI. HomePage is the default, add midi, give it a name, choose the PlatformM+ v2.15 for Midi In/Out, QconPlatformM.mst for "Surface" and PlatformM for "Zone Folder"... save it all in and nothing happens. I've reset the controller, restarted reaper, all the faders are just level, nothing works.

Is there anything I need to do to make these work with CSI 1.1 or something? I've read through hours of these forums and I'm still lost!

TIA
Are you sure you're using the correct .mst and Zone files for CSI V1.1? ZIP up your CSI folder and I'll take a look if you like
Old 10-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #1620
CBowling

Another update:

Received a new unit and everything appears to be working as intended with CSI. Faders are working, and it no longer seems to be glitching out/maxing out with the motors.

Loving the new controller. Thank you guys for all your help!
CBowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:07 AM   #1621
FenixSyd

Quote:
Are you sure you're using the correct .mst and Zone files for CSI V1.1? ZIP up your CSI folder and I'll take a look if you like
Honestly nothing would surprise me at this stage if I've used the wrong files. I downloaded some off the wiki, then tried to get the latest ones here. It's very possible I got them jumbled in the end. Here's what I had in my folders.

Thanks!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSI.zip (104.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #1622
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBowling View Post
Another update:

Received a new unit and everything appears to be working as intended with CSI. Faders are working, and it no longer seems to be glitching out/maxing out with the motors.

Loving the new controller. Thank you guys for all your help!
Excellent news!
Old 10-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #1623
MixMonkey

Quote:
Honestly nothing would surprise me at this stage if I've used the wrong files. I downloaded some off the wiki, then tried to get the latest ones here. It's very possible I got them jumbled in the end. Here's what I had in my folders.

Thanks!!!
Give this CSI folder a try (just swap it with the one you have) and see if it gets things moving.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 01-30-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #1624
Funkybot

Quote:
Possible?
cheers
Are you talking the Arturia Prophet V3? The other way you can handle that is by creating SubZones.

You start with a typical fx.zon file but you're going to have a section called SubZones (just like IncludedZones in a Home.zon file). Then you also need to create some "GoZone" commands to alternate between the various zones. Each .zon file just gets a suffix of [plugin name]-1.zon, [plugin name]-2.zon, etc.

So here is a simple 2 zone setup I use for Softube's American Class A. The first file is named: VST__American_Class_A__Softube_.zon
Code:
Zone "VST: American Class A (Softube)" "American Class A"
SelectedTrackNavigator
     SubZones
          "VST: American Class A (Softube)-1"
     SubZonesEnd

BankB         GoZone "VST: American Class A (Softube)"
BankBDisplay  FixedTextDisplay "EQ"
BankC         GoZone "VST: American Class A (Softube)-1"
BankCDisplay  FixedTextDisplay "Comp-Gate"

DisplayUpperA1 FXParamNameDisplay 14 "Low Gain"
DisplayLowerA1 FXParamValueDisplay 14 
RotaryA1 FXParam 14
etc....
Then the second .zon file is named VST__American_Class_A__Softube_-1.zon and it looks like this...
Code:
Zone "VST: American Class A (Softube)-1" "American Class A"
/
MainDisplay1 FXNameDisplay  
MainDisplay2 TrackNameDisplay  
/
BankB         GoZone "VST: American Class A (Softube)"
BankBDisplay  FixedTextDisplay "EQ"
BankC         GoZone "VST: American Class A (Softube)-1"
BankCDisplay  FixedTextDisplay "Comp-Gate"
/  
DisplayUpperA1 FXParamNameDisplay 29 "Threshold"
DisplayLowerA1 FXParamValueDisplay 29 
RotaryA1 FXParam 29
etc...
You can do make as many of these sub-zones as you'd like.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #1625
FenixSyd

Quote:
Give this CSI folder a try (just swap it with the one you have) and see if it gets things moving.
Thanks, I zipped/deleted my CSI folder and used your one and its the same result (nothing). I've included a photo of my /UserPlugins folder as well just in case I've done something odd. I must have something not setup somewhere, doesnt make sense that I'm just getting no feedback from the unit with CSI arrrrgh.
Attached Images
File Type: png userplugins_folder.PNG (18.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #1626
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Thanks, I zipped/deleted my CSI folder and used your one and its the same result (nothing). I've included a photo of my /UserPlugins folder as well just in case I've done something odd. I must have something not setup somewhere, doesnt make sense that I'm just getting no feedback from the unit with CSI arrrrgh.
That folder looks good. As long as you are running windows 64 bit

Is your device disabled in reapers midi devices (both input and output)? (Pretty sure it's supposed to be disabled)
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #1627
FenixSyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
That folder looks good. As long as you are running windows 64 bit

Is your device disabled in reapers midi devices (both input and output)? (Pretty sure it's supposed to be disabled)
They were enabled, disabling and restarting/reaper got it working!

Something must still be out of whack cause none of the track control is talking to reaper (all faders are at 0, none of the select/solo/mute etc are working). Play/Stop/Arm/Loop/Jogwheel & One Zoom now work, so at least the fundamental connection is working now.

I'll go back to those original mst/zon files and try a few combos and report back later tonight.

*Edit*
I updated the config in Pages --> Surfaces to have "8" channels. I thought by selecting the PlatformM+ it would know the hardware has 8 channels but I guess not. Track back and forth is there.

I'm keen to dive into the config files now to tweak to taste. I'm new to the PlatformM+ but I really like how MCU does track multi select as opposed to this config's select one at a time setup. I'm sure there'll be many personal tweaks I can find, excited to get this all going!
Old 10-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #1628
cjewellstudios

Quote:
I'm keen to dive into the config files now to tweak to taste. I'm new to the PlatformM+ but I really like how MCU does track multi select as opposed to this config's select one at a time setup. I'm sure there'll be many personal tweaks I can find, excited to get this all going!
I took a look at the zones you are using.

Shift+Select is TrackRangeSelect. So using shift and select should get what you want. If you wanted to change that behavior you could swap them in the "Channel" zone.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #1629
FenixSyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
I took a look at the zones you are using.

Shift+Select is TrackRangeSelect. So using shift and select should get what you want. If you wanted to change that behavior you could swap them in the "Channel" zone.
It was originally TrackUniqeSelect, I tried TrackRangeSelect and it was a bit off so I tried TrackSelect and it worked perfectly. A good little test to try a change in isolation. I basically want to get it working exactly like the default MCU integration and then build ontop of that.

The Platform M+ doesn't have any free buttons really but my utopia would be repurposing the pan encoders + click cause once my pans are set I dont need the control really. There's probably 3-4 other buttons I can repurpose so it's going to be a juggling act.

Thanks again!

Last edited by FenixSyd; 10-07-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:37 AM   #1630
cjewellstudios

Quote:
It was originally TrackUniqeSelect, I tried TrackRangeSelect and it was a bit off so I tried TrackSelect and it worked perfectly. A good little test to try a change in isolation. I basically want to get it working exactly like the default MCU integration and then build ontop of that.

The Platform M+ doesn't have any free buttons really but my utopia would be repurposing the pan encoders + click cause once my pans are set I dont need the control really. There's probably 3-4 other buttons I can repurpose so it's going to be a juggling act.

Thanks again!
If you have a phone/tablet laying around you could put your modifiers there using TouchOSC

DM me if you do that as there are some workarounds needed but we've sussed them out.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:43 AM   #1631
cjewellstudios

Do any of you know of any compressor plugins that expose gain reduction as a host parameter?

Itd be nice to be able to map it for metering purposes on our surfaces.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #1632
UNdark

Quote:
In circumstances where a single plugin embodies multiple, discrete modes, what I usually do is create a multiple FX chains, each containing the plugin, set to a different mode in each. Within each FX chain I rename the plugin (usually indicating the mode) and save each FX chain separately.

This means that I can have a separate fx.zon for each FX chain and hence each plugin mode.

For instance, with the Relab LX480, I created 3 FX chains: 480Rev, 480Amb and 480Dly. renaming the LX480 within each chain. I created 3 fx.zon files for the 3 modes of operation.

Now, when I want to use the plugin, I load the appropriate FX chain onto the track (if there are already FX on the track, the FX chain is added to what's already there). The renamed LX480 plugin in each chain calls the appropriate map.

That's a clever way man, thanks. I'm adding that technique to the arsenal Cheers old boy!
Old 10-14-2021, 03:21 AM   #1633
UNdark

Default FX zon...

Hi - I've been trying to abbreviate the text in my FXzones.... and failing..!
Rather than write "per channel" (and all the modifiers) I was hoping using the pipe would save a lot of text:

Control+Shift+Fader| NoAction
Control+Shift+Option+Fader| NoAction
Alt+Option+Fader| NoAction
Alt+Shift+Fader| NoAction
Option+Fader| NoAction

This doesn't prevent the faders operating or keep the display blank, which is what i was trying for..

Also selecting next/previous preset, I've tried many iterations - this being my last:

ChannelLeft Reaper _S&M_PREVIOUS_SELFX_PRESET //Previous Preset
ChannelRight Reaper _S&M_NEXT_SELFX_PRESET //NEXT PRESET

(this is what I've added per fx zone) - though i tried in the mains FX zon, like this:

ChannelLeft| Reaper _S&M_PREVIOUS_SELFX_PRESET
ChannelRight| Reaper _S&M_NEXT_SELFX_PRESET

I do have this working in normal midi, but would really like this integral to all FX zones

My last request for help towards my cockups is:

Scrub+FaderTouch| reaper 41923// set volume to 0.0

(tried without the pipe/_XENAKIOS_RESETTRACKVOL1..)

To hold scrub (while in the FX zone), touch a fader and it zero itself. I have this working in the main global (using CTL as modifier) but I need CTL for another thing within the FX.

Many thanks
Mike
Old 10-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #1634
MixMonkey

Quote:
Hi - I've been trying to abbreviate the text in my FXzones.... and failing..!
Rather than write "per channel" (and all the modifiers) I was hoping using the pipe would save a lot of text:

Control+Shift+Fader| NoAction
Control+Shift+Option+Fader| NoAction
Alt+Shift+Fader| NoAction
Option+Fader| NoAction

This doesn't prevent the faders operating or keep the display blank, which is what i was trying for..
In my experience, the | shortcut only works under certain specific navigators. I don't think it will work under the FocusedFXNavigator or the SelectedTrackNavigator.

Quote:
Also selecting next/previous preset, I've tried many iterations - this being my last:

ChannelLeft Reaper _S&M_PREVIOUS_SELFX_PRESET //Previous Preset
ChannelRight Reaper _S&M_NEXT_SELFX_PRESET //NEXT PRESET
Not sure why this wouldn't work in an FX zone. I'll try it out and let you know.

Quote:
My last request for help towards my cockups is:

Scrub+FaderTouch| reaper 41923// set volume to 0.0

(tried without the pipe/_XENAKIOS_RESETTRACKVOL1..)

To hold scrub (while in the FX zone), touch a fader and it zero itself. I have this working in the main global (using CTL as modifier) but I need CTL for another thing within the FX.

Many thanks
Mike
Scrub isn't a modifier. You can only use Shift, Option, Control and Alt as modifiers.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #1635
Cragster

Quote:
Yeah, they go out of sync too easily Much like the XOR toggles, there's no hard link between the selected FX in the FX chain and the plugin that's mapped with the SelectedTrackNavigator.

However, if you were to use the FocusedFXNavigator c/w the FX menu, whatever FX you select in the FX chain will be the FX that maps. It sounds like Geoff has been doing some work on the FocusedFXNavigator and the focus/unfocus thing has improved. Could be time to give it another look....
Hey dont know if what your discussing here is what im thinking which is having the FXMenuSlot staying in sync when banking through and showing the correct plugin window when mapping ? If it is here is what ive been using .Its kinda complicated and tailor made to how i like it but here it is...

The FXMenuSlot... This zone is for the surface you want the FX to actually map to
Code:
Zone "TrackFXMenuSlot"
     TrackFXMenuSlotNavigator
     DisplayUpper| TrackNameDisplay 
     DisplayLower| FXMenuNameDisplay
     Select| TrackUniqueSelect
     Select| Reaper "_S&M_SELFX1"
     RotaryPush| Reaper "_S&M_TOGLFLOATFXEL"
     RotaryPush| GoFXSlot   
ZoneEnd
This zone is for surfaces you dont want it to map but still see the slot menu
Code:
Zone "TrackFXMenuSlot"
     TrackFXMenuSlotNavigator
     DisplayUpper| TrackNameDisplay 
     DisplayLower| FXMenuNameDisplay 
     Select| TrackUniqueSelect
     Select| Reaper "_S&M_SELFX1"
     RotaryPush| Reaper "_S&M_TOGLFLOATFXEL"
     RotaryPush| GoFXSlot
     RotaryPush| UnmapSelectedTrackFXFromMenu
     RotaryPush| MapTrackFXMenusSlotToWidgets
ZoneEnd
This in your Buttons zone
Code:
ChannelLeft FXMenuSlotBank "-1"
ChannelLeft Reaper "_S&M_WNCLS3" // CLOSE ALL FLOATING FX
ChannelLeft Reaper "_S&M_SELFXPREV"
ChannelRight FXMenuSlotBank "1"
ChannelRight Reaper "_S&M_WNCLS3" // CLOSE ALL FLOATING FX
ChannelRight Reaper "_S&M_SELFXNEXT"
This also mapped to a button
Code:
F1L2 MapTrackFXMenusSlotToWidgets
F1L2 Reaper "40297" // UNSELECT ALL TRACKS
F1L2 Reaper "_S&M_WNCLS3" // CLOSE ALL FLOATING FX
F1L2 Reaper "_S&M_SELFX1"
So to try and explain lol. i Have one surface just for FX control. Then MCU and 2 XTs for normal channel tracks. the FXMenuSlotBank and The 1st zone i have listed goes on the FX only surface.The 2nd FXMenuSlot zone i have listed is for the MCU and XTs.
Only thing you need to do when entering the FXMenuSlot is to start out your banking on FX1 (Havnt found a way around this yet-Kind of wish it would automatically go back to FX1 when leaving and re entering the slot zone) and select the track which will put you on FX1.
As long as you do that you can bank through the slots and stay in the SlotMenu all day and bank through and the correct FX will float into view and stay in sync.I have it mapped so when you bank to a plugin the one that was opened before will close out.
I know its kind of complicated but works great. I really like using the slot style FX. So if this is what you guys were talking bout have at it and good luck dissecting this mapping mess i have here haha. but it works.

Oh and obviously need to Broadcast and Receive between the surfaces for all this to work. If only using for one surface maybe you can strip this down and make it work for your needs.
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #1636
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
Hey dont know if what your discussing here is what im thinking which is having the FXMenuSlot staying in sync when banking through and showing the correct plugin window when mapping ?
Yep, that's exactly it The issue is really that it's too easy to break the sync between the current FX slot within CSI and the selected FX as SWS understands it. There's no hard link between the two.

I have a setup very similar to yours, with the exception that I use the | symbol to start them off in sync regardless of which FX is selected on a channel, it doesn't have to be FX1:
Code:
Zone "SelectedTrackFXMenu"
        SelectedTrackFXMenuNavigator
        RotaryPushD|        Reaper "_S&M_SELFX|"
        RotaryPushD|        Reaper "_S&M_FLOATFX|"
        DisplayUpperD|      FXMenuNameDisplay
        DisplayLowerD|      NoAction
        RotaryD|            NoAction
        Shift+RotaryPushD|  Reaper "_S&M_FXBYP|"             //Bypass FX Slot
        Option+RotaryPushD| Reaper "_S&M_FXOFF|"             //Offline FX slot
        RotaryPushD|        GoFXSlot 
ZoneEnd
...and in the C4 Buttons Zone:
Code:
        SlotUp              FXMenuSlotBank -1
        SlotUp              Reaper "_S&M_SELFXPREV"
        SlotUp              GoCurrentFXSlot
        SlotDown            FXMenuSlotBank 1
        SlotDown            Reaper "_S&M_SELFXNEXT"
        SlotDown            GoCurrentFXSlot
This will quite happily cycle round and round the FX and stay in sync, but can be easily tripped up by selecting another FX slot on screen.

What would really lock it down would be to have access to the current CSI FX slot index (in a similar manner to the | character) so that it could be used within an SWS action. If it was possible to represent this index within CSI using say, the # character, you could write something like:
Code:
RotaryPushD|        Reaper "_S&M_FLOATFX#"
...and then the FX window that appears would always correspond to the mapped FX, under the SelectedTrackNavigator.

Of course, if you were to swap windows on the screen, you could end up looking at a different FX to the one mapped to the surface, but any FX selected from the surface using FXMenuSlotBank would always show the correct window. If you need to click on FX windows on screen and have them map accordingly, then that's a job for the FocusedFXNavigator
Old 10-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #1637
UNdark

Quote:
In my experience, the | shortcut only works under certain specific navigators. I don't think it will work under the FocusedFXNavigator or the SelectedTrackNavigator.

Not sure why this wouldn't work in an FX zone. I'll try it out and let you know.

Scrub isn't a modifier. You can only use Shift, Option, Control and Alt as modifiers.
Thanks for these replies. was clutching at straws hoping to have another modifier, i know. I still can't get to the bottom of the inability to select patch up or down... similar to cragster's comment below, i'm still using a separate controller to control plugins, though i'm wading through those being programmed to CSI and the MCU, The other controller is still midi not CSI. As far as i know, there's no template for sl25 though there was a discovery of info from novation earlier in the thread? Thanks for all your help and ideas
Old 10-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #1638
binbinhfr

Hi,

Great tool !

Trying to make my own adaptation of the XtouchMini template, but I wonder if there is a way to debug / to see if the files are correctly parsed by CSI, or to monitor MIDI input/outputs ?

BTW, is it normal that in the Wiki, some pages have dead links ? (like TrackVolume in https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...tion-Reference)

Is there another location where to find detailed information about CSI ?

Last edited by binbinhfr; 10-22-2021 at 12:30 AM.
binbinhfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:27 AM   #1639
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbinhfr View Post
Trying to make my own adaptation of the XtouchMini template, but I wonder if there is a way to debug / to see if the files are correctly parsed by CSI, or to monitor MIDI input/outputs ?
Type "CSI" into Reaper's Action list search field and you'll find the monitoring tools.
Quote:
BTW, is it normal that in the Wiki, some pages have dead links ? (like TrackVolume in https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...tion-Reference)

Is there another location where to find detailed information about CSI ?
Red links in the Wiki just haven't had their description/explanation written yet
Old 10-22-2021, 06:59 AM   #1640
binbinhfr

Thanks a lot for your help.

Quote:
Red links in the Wiki just haven't had their description/explanation written yet
Ok, and there is no other source of information ?

In the XtouchMini MCU template, I still not really understand how the simple line "Rotary| TrackVolume" can generate the correct feedback on the LEDs around the rotary (using the correct type of SINGLE display, and not a FAN or SPREAD or TRIM display). Behind TrackVolume and TrackPan, the feedback is always assumed to be a MCU type display ? Even when the device is not in MCU mode ?

Does it mean that I cannot use the rotary feedback to display non-MCU values ? If I want to use an encoder to change zoom or scroll ? Is it possible ?

Other question :
is it possible when I press a widget to light another widget ?
For example, I would like to naviguate between 8 zones using the ctrl key + upper button 1-8. As soon as I press and hold Ctrl, I would like the button corresponding to the actual zone (1-8) to be lightne, before I change to another zone. And when I release Ctrl, the new zones light buttons will be updated. Is it possible ?

By the way, I have a little "bug" with the XtouchMini template : the Shift latching is working (shift light remains ON, after a short press), but the Ctrl latching is not : if I press long and release teh Ctrl button, it remains lightened. Is it normal ?

Last edited by binbinhfr; 10-22-2021 at 07:13 AM.
binbinhfr is offline   Reply With Quote