Old 08-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Default v6.35+dev0829 - August 29 2021

v6.35+dev0829 - August 29 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
  • * Includes feature branch: media item lanes
  • + Actions list: match synonyms when next to various non-alphanumeric characters
  • + Actions: improve the naming of various selection related actions
  • + Preferences: enable apply button when toggling 'allow space key to be used for navigation' option [t=256970]
  • + VST: detect changes to window size on Linux bridged VST2
  • + VST: fix UI idle processing for bridged VST2 on Linux
  • + VST: prevent calling effEditClose twice on Windows bridged VST2 plug-ins
  • + macOS: improve default focus of various windows
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
tonalstates

Default Just noticed this

If you have a fixed lanes track minimized, press play, then expand the track, the lane numbered tags don't appear until you pause again. Don't know if this is designed this way, seems unlikely to me.

https://i.imgur.com/OKCVOmS.mp4

Also, when copying items from one fixed lanes enabled track to a new one, it doesn't copy the fact that they're in lanes until you toggle them again and I think IMO that it should be a default or at least an option to pass the items as they are (in lanes) in the last track. Also notice how it adds an extra lane but not using the first one.

https://i.imgur.com/otciSlF.mp4

Last edited by tonalstates; 08-29-2021 at 04:55 PM.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
Lannister

Latest pre's, and current 6.35.

Version 6.60 Kontakt VST3i stuck notes when triggered by MIDI input with any instrument (but not by clicking the Kontakt keyboard with the mouse).

Doesn't occur with the VST2 version, and the VST3 version works as intended in Studio One 5.

Running Windows 10.

Last edited by Lannister; 08-29-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
Latest pre's, and current 6.35.

Version 6.60 Kontakt VST3i stuck notes when triggered by MIDI input with any instrument (but not by clicking the Kontakt keyboard with the mouse).

Doesn't occur with the VST2 version, and the VST3 version works as intended in Studio One 5.

Running Windows 10.
That’s confrmed to be a bug of native instruments vst3 VSTi (both Kontakt and Super8).
Not a Reaper bug.
Check this thread for further information and workarounds

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...uck+notes+vst3
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:08 AM   #5
EvilDragon

I think the bug with note off (or should I say note on velocity 0) is somewhere between NI and Cockos, since it only happens in Reaper and it cannot be reproduced in other DAWs.

Reaper still handles note ons with vel 0 incorrectly in MIDI editor event list (you shouldn't even be able to enter velocity value of 0, since there's the note length parameter which automatically generates a proper note off, yet you're allowed to).

Also related thread: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=256283

Last edited by EvilDragon; 08-30-2021 at 12:13 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:17 AM   #6
Phazma

Can’t try the pre-releases currently but glad to see some work on window position and focus. There is this problem (on macOS, in my case high sierra) of some windows which can disappear but keep waiting for input and force the user to force-quit Reaper because nothing is possible until the input is given.

For example I open the color picker for a track color, click somewhere other than the color picker (e.g. arrange), the arrange gets focus and the color picker disappears and is nowhere to be found (not even behind Reaper) and Reaper doesn’t allow any further action as if it was frozen.

Perhaps you could address this along the other window focus improvements?
If you decide to do so I apologize in advance that I won’t be able to test until next week. But I guess now is the right moment to bring this up..?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:32 AM   #7
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I think the bug with note off (or should I say note on velocity 0) is somewhere between NI and Cockos, since it only happens in Reaper and it cannot be reproduced in other DAWs.
Thanks for clarifications, since people keep telling me it's not a Reaper issue i accepted the statement as true, but you confirm what i wrote in the very first post of the thread i linked.

Something must be done by cockos or native.

But at this point i think Reaper should definitely be able to deal with this.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #8
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
v6.35+dev0829 - August 29 2021
[list][*] * Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
[*]+ macOS: improve default focus of various windows

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Dont know if this is related, but when I start reaper on my M1 Mac mini and there are floating plugin windows loaded in the start up project, the main windows does not get the focus. I cant press space and play right away for example without first selecting the main window. Tested on this pre release.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
benf

Quote:

Reaper still handles note ons with vel 0 incorrectly in MIDI editor event list (you shouldn't even be able to enter velocity value of 0, since there's the note length parameter which automatically generates a proper note off, yet you're allowed to).

Also related thread: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=256283
For sure, a note on with a velocity value of 0 is a physical nonsense. 0 note on values should at least be put to 1.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #10
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
For sure, a note on with a velocity value of 0 is a physical nonsense. 0 note on values should at least be put to 1.
Note ON with velocity 0 in the receiver is to be mapped to Note OFF with the velocity, the previous note ON for this note was received with.

This is a very old definition in the Midi standard. AFAIK all old Yamaha equipment works that way (at least my DX7, TX216 and KX 88).

I used the keyboards with Roland equipment and with many VSTs (including Kontakt VST2) without any problems.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #11
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

This is a very old definition in the Midi standard. AFAIK all old Yamaha equipment works that way
I have a brand new Yamaha MODX that is not old at all, it’s a fairly new model and sends Note On with velocity 0 instead of note offs.
Also a lot of master keyboards does just the same.
It woth mentioning that VST2 version of kontakt works perfectly well with every keyboard, the problem happens only with VST3 native instrument plugins.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
schwa
Administrator

REAPER handles note-ons with velocity 0 as note-offs everywhere, of course. I think the issue here is that VST3 does not handle MIDI as MIDI, instead hosts have to translate MIDI to the VST3 "event" specification. I would guess that some plugins are not handling the VST3 note-on velocity-zero event as a note-off, even if that same plugin properly handles VST2 MIDI note-on velocity-zero events. We could maybe convert those events to note-offs before handing them to plugins, but that does have some potential side effects, we'll have to look at it.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
VST3 does not handle MIDI as MIDI,
I in fact did some experiments with writing VST3s using JUCE.

JUCE VST3s do offer Midi Streams to their developers just like with VST2. (Hence it "Midi".)

I in fact found a completely different issue with VST3 Midi with Juce in Reaper, which they claim does not show in other DAWs). See other discussion on that here, in the "script" and in the "Bugs" forum.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:01 AM   #14
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
REAPER handles note-ons with velocity 0 as note-offs everywhere, of course. I think the issue here is that VST3 does not handle MIDI as MIDI, instead hosts have to translate MIDI to the VST3 "event" specification. I would guess that some plugins are not handling the VST3 note-on velocity-zero event as a note-off, even if that same plugin properly handles VST2 MIDI note-on velocity-zero events. We could maybe convert those events to note-offs before handing them to plugins, but that does have some potential side effects, we'll have to look at it.
What would be the potential side effects?

Also, don't you agree that in event list, we should NOT be able to type velocity value of 0 for a note on event, because Length parameter exists there already that already creates a note off event?
Old 08-31-2021, 05:27 AM   #15
Funkybot

Quote:

Also, don't you agree that in event list, we should NOT be able to type velocity value of 0 for a note on event, because Length parameter exists there already that already creates a note off event?
Check out the latest build. This may have been resolved.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:07 AM   #16
juan_r

Quote:

One effect that comes to mind is potentially losing note off velocity info when a controller does transmit it.

I'm getting a Roli Seaboard soon. If that controller sends proper note offs, with velocity, I will be able to check what happens.
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:23 PM   #17
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
One effect that comes to mind is potentially losing note off velocity info when a controller does transmit it.

I'm getting a Roli Seaboard soon. If that controller sends proper note offs, with velocity, I will be able to check what happens.
But in that case the controller already does NOT use note on with velocity 0 to denote note off - they use proper note off messages, so there will be no problems there.

This note hanging issue relates only to controllers which do not use native note off messages. In this case, converting note on with velocity 0 to note off with velocity 64 (default value according to MIDI standard) should really not be a problem.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:12 AM   #18
juan_r

Right, @EvilDragon. I was in slow wit mode, as Justin too noted replying to a similar post by me in another pre-release thread.

Code:
wit_speed = wit_speed * 1.5
Juan, repeat after me: "0x90 note offs are NOT affected. The problem is only for 0x80 note offs".

Sorry
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote