Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 11-20-2020, 06:28 AM   #41
PVinKC
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiramallo View Post
Relax, it's only a fail!
Give time to Daryl my friend!
Yeah I thought better of it and edited my post. However, not soon enough to avoid someone reacting and quoting it, making it come back after I had "lightened up"! Ugh!!!
Old 11-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #42
PVinKC

I would like my accidently guided vote to be expunged so that I can vote again once you get this fixed please!!! I wish I hadn't left the page because my notes will be all gone I'm assuming. I don't have much time to listen and type out notes given my job and family situation currently.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #43
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVinKC View Post
Yeah I thought better of it and edited my post. However, not soon enough to avoid someone reacting and quoting it, making it come back after I had "lightened up"! Ugh!!!
Solved.
javiramallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #44
darjama

The flacs zip is uploading now, sorry about that.

Sorry for any confusion, but to make it easier to vote I broke the voting process into 2 rounds. There's some text about this on the page, and I posted here about it, but I probably should have made it clearer.

In the first round each person votes based on 4 options. This is on purpose. I feel it's too hard to meaningfully analyze what's best between so many tracks.

In the final round (Starting on Nov 23rd) you will vote on the top 4 (or more if there's a tie) from the first round.

You can still offer comments on all the tracks.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #45
WaveTrans

Quote:
Hi WaveTrans.

My judger method:

I download all the submissions.
In reaper I use the action, "normalize Loudness of selected items to xxLUFS" in orden to get a equal loudness for all of them.

After That, listen carefully each of them in my monitor, in my head phones and finally if I have time enought in my car.

Of course this method is posible only while the number of submitions reamain low.

The best for all of you.

Javier.
Cheers, downloading and normalizing is a good idea.
Will try it so this time. Thanks.
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:38 AM   #46
javiramallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
The flacs zip is uploading now, sorry about that.

Sorry for any confusion, but to make it easier to vote I broke the voting process into 2 rounds. There's some text about this on the page, and I posted here about it, but I probably should have made it clearer.

In the first round each person votes based on 4 options. This is on purpose. I feel it's too hard to meaningfully analyze what's best between so many tracks.

In the final round (Starting on Nov 23rd) you will vote on the top 4 (or more if there's a tie) from the first round.

You can still offer comments on all the tracks.
Uhmmm!!
I think that I don't understand.

At this moment I only can vote for mixes 11 12 13 and 14...

So, should I pick up 3 of these 4?

And

I must understand that this four tracks are different for each one of us?

Thanks in advanced
Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #47
PVinKC

SMH...I'm out then. I respect your decision but I don't agree at all and if there isn't going to a completely fair and impartial way to do this then I guess I don't want to be involved. Please remove Mix 05!
Old 11-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #48
darjama

Quote:
Uhmmm!!

And

Thanks in advanced
Yes and yes.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #49
PVinKC

Quote:
Uhmmm!!

And

Thanks in advanced
I was ONLY given the opportunity to VOTE for something like 6,7,8 & 9. So yes they appear to be different for everyone. The problem is, after listening to ALL 16...what if you got 4 tracks that you wouldn't have voted for in the first place!? I DID!!!

I know this was a completely unintended side effect. But I honestly feel like we are in a facist state and being told that we will vote for only THESE four options. We are not allowed to have an opinion. Oh, we can post notes on them. But we can't vote for the ones we actually LIKE!?

Doesn't make sense @Darjama and I hope for the sake of the contest that you seriously rethink this decision. Otherwise I fear this is a dead subject.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #50
darjama

Quote:
SMH...I'm out then. I respect your decision but I don't agree at all and if there isn't going to a completely fair and impartial way to do this then I guess I don't want to be involved. Please remove Mix 05!
My goal here is to make it fair and less of a burden to vote. Please reconsider. Weren't you saying it's hard to find time to judge everyone's submissions? That is in large part what this meant to address.

This is an experiment, if everyone hates it I can revert back. But I ask that you give it a try.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #51
darjama

the flac zip file is up, but something odd is happening in chrome on download. You might need to right-click and select save as. Looking into it.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #52
javiramallo

Quote:
Yes and yes.
Ok.

Now I understand.

Each one of us have four different mixes to pick up. Then you collect all data a make a one last round with the four mixes best valorated.

Come on to try. Later we'll comment.

In any case, Daryl thanks for the effort.

Javiramallo
Old 11-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #53
PVinKC

The problem with this type of sorting is just this that I and MANY others can't vote for the track we like most. The only thing of value left from this type of hijinks is the feedback. In my opinion you may as well forget about the contest altogether and just have people comment on each other's mixes.

Kinda takes the whole fair competition element out of it for my tastes.

But the ALARMING thing is, that tracks that don't deserve votes or deserve them less will get points because we can't vote for the ones we feel deserve it.

Let me lay it out for you...think of the ranking at the end. Do the math in your head...it won't make sense...tracks with poor mix decisions will most certainly be ranked above other tracks with better mixes. Mark my words...this is a mistake.

I'll go ahead and (if I'm still welcome) leave my hat (so-to-speak) but I won't expand on my remarks unless asked by the mixer directly, either on the forum or by PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #54
bFooz

Quote:
This is an experiment, if everyone hates it I can revert back. But I ask that you give it a try.
The maths of fairness does not sum up.

But I have a feeling of reinventing the wheel here. I would propose another method of voting. Here is an example:

https://www.csfd.cz/film/231230-dabluv-sluha/prehled/

It's a Czechoslovak film database. Each user assign 0..5 stars to a movie, you can see red stars with each comment. The final percentage of the movie is calculated as an average of these stars.

We could use it the same way. Each voter would have to mark each mix with 0..5 stars. For each mix the percentage would be calculated. The final order would be based on these percentages.

Easiness comes from the fact that no one would be required to make a personal order of preference. But every voter would need to mark each mix. Also it comes from using just 5 star values.

If this cannot be decided or implemented for this month, at least go back to the previous system.

Last edited by bFooz; 11-20-2020 at 12:46 PM.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #55
PVinKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
The maths of fairness does not sum up.

But I have a feeling of reinventing the wheel here. I would propose another method of voting. Here is an example:

https://www.csfd.cz/film/231230-dabluv-sluha/prehled/

It's a Czechoslovak film database. Each user assign 0..5 stars to a movie, you can see red stars with each comment. The final percentage of the movie is calculated as an average of these stars.

We could use it the same way. Each voter would have to mark each mix with 0..5 stars. For each mix the percentage would be calculated. The final order would be based on these percentages.

Easiness comes from the fact that no one would be required to make a personal order of preference. But every voted would need to mark each mix. Also it comes from using just 5 star values.

If this cannot be decided or implemented for this month, at least go back to the previous system.
I like it...simple, yet effective. Nobody is picking a favorite per say...just giving a star rating. Nice!

I agree, if you can't do this then I prefer the old system.

But I'm willing to let you see how it turns out. I'm afraid that we have a really great amount of entries that may be run off if this goes sideways the way I think it will. Only time will tell.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #56
darjama

I think it should work as long as there are a high number of votes in the first round. If not it will be a mess.

Okay, I'm leaning toward reseting it to work the usual way for this month. Sorry for causing chaos. Yes there's a high number of songs, but at least it's a short song. If it was as long as last month's (6:11 instead of 3:35) it would take over an hour and a half just to listen thru everything once.

I'll revert it back tonight and send out an email to everyone explaining and apologizing.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #57
PVinKC

Quote:
I think it should work as long as there are a high number of votes in the first round. If not it will be a mess.

Okay, I'm leaning toward reseting it to work the usual way for this month. Sorry for causing chaos. Yes there's a high number of songs, but at least it's a short song. If it was as long as last month's (6:11 instead of 3:35) it would take over an hour and a half just to listen thru everything once.

I'll revert it back tonight and send out an email to everyone explaining and apologizing.
Dude, you are doing your best at a monumental task. There's a reason that Dave couldn't keep this going and concentrate on his studies too!

No apologies necessary brother. I know you love this contest as much as we all do!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #58
javiramallo

Quote:

Hey Darryl, no apologizing dude! there is no motive!
Your are working hard in this and all what the rest of us must do is say Thank you!
I am sure that every of all us know that all you try to do is to try get a better contest!

Not always ones get what ones want and not always things are so pretty or effective like one have in mind!

My only advice is: keep it symple! The key of this amazing contest is the symplicity. we shouldn't lose this essence!!

Cheers!!
Old 11-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #59
StrumminSteve

ok...im late to the conversation here...i was online listening to all tracks n started voting and quickly noticed i couldn't vote for all of the first round. I look forward to the reset tonight to complete my share. Interestingly ...and I'm excited of this.. a couple entries are extremely close to sounding like my entry..ive noticed listening to all with normatize off reveals a lil more clarity for my end here...all fair though so no matter. Has been very cool to hear all the versions and really nice you do this...Huge thanks!...😉😎
StrumminSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #60
StrumminSteve

I meant to also add im not 100% which entry was mine between the few similar...lol.... which is cool in my book...😎
Old 11-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #61
PVinKC

I always try to do something that I can hear that helps me to know which mix is mine. So far it's working like a charm.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #62
StrumminSteve

Quote:
I always try to do something that I can hear that helps me to know which mix is mine. So far it's working like a charm.
Yeah....i heard a few "tells" here n there and thought about that after i uploaded...but I'm delighted that a couple others at least hear a bit as i do. I hope it means im improving... lol... but really as im sure it's been discussed before... beauty is in the ear of the beholder.. and beholden by the audio source of reference...😎
Old 11-21-2020, 01:03 AM   #63
darjama

Okay, voting is back to normal. If you already voted and want to keep your old comments but place different votes, you can vote again and I'll combine your new votes with the old comments.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:15 AM   #64
PVinKC

I am frankly amazed at the number of mixers who completely miss the fact that the Violin is a LEAD instrument!

This is Red Dirt Country folks. It's all about the guitars,violin, and the dynamic between the rhythm and lead instruments. I would say at least half of the mixes fall short of finding and enhancing that dynamic.

I'm happy that we have so many mixers jumping in. So hopefully they won't be discouraged and will find direction in the comments (feedback) to get past the "little" things.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #65
yikelu

I just listened through all the mixes and submitted my votes. Really interesting!

My biggest takeaway from this week is REFERENCE REFERENCE REFERENCE. When I heard my own mix in comparison with the rest, especially the ones I liked better than my own, it was clear that I had tonal balance issues (mine was too dark, could use more high end).

I think half the issues I heard in the mixes just go away if a reference were used.

Edit: I also prefer the idea of using a rating system (X stars out of 10) and sorting the averaged ratings.
yikelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #66
kemalsi

Hello, I'm new. Glad to be here. Just listened to all of the mixes and placed my votes. I'm happy that at the end of the day we were able to place a vote for all of the mixes. May the best mix win!
kemalsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #67
StrumminSteve

Quote:
I am frankly amazed at the number of mixers who completely miss the fact that the Violin is a LEAD instrument!

This is Red Dirt Country folks. It's all about the guitars,violin, and the dynamic between the rhythm and lead instruments. I would say at least half of the mixes fall short of finding and enhancing that dynamic.

I'm happy that we have so many mixers jumping in. So hopefully they won't be discouraged and will find direction in the comments (feedback) to get past the "little" things.
Yes...really all the instruments are solo's at each appropriate "country" moment. So ...depending on familiarity with this style song...its easy to overlook that depending on ones locale of upbringing and history of desired music listened too. I strived to hilight all that sounded good to me. Anyway...nice we have this avenue to converse on all this mix'n around... )
Old 11-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #68
HolyFS

Hi.
I already submit my votes. I really like some of the mixes, well done everybody.
Sadly the last friday Windows Update broke my hard drive and I can´t compare wich is mine, I already recover my files but I need to change my hard drive or buy a new laptop (Black Friday is coming).
I think it would be better and easier for not to vote for your own mix that when you logging to place your vote that your mix is blocked, in that way you could be completly sure that you are not voting for yours.
I can understand the work behind that and I don´t know anything about programing just thinking to future contest.
Good luck everybody.
Cheers!
Old 11-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #69
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyFS View Post
I think it would be better and easier for not to vote for your own mix that when you logging to place your vote that your mix is blocked, in that way you could be completly sure that you are not voting for yours.!
It does work exactly like that already. If you select your username from the list, your own mix is grayed out.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #70
StrumminSteve

I didn't think mine was grayed out.. but after dloading them i figured mine. I liked 3 others better anyhow....😉
Old 11-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #71
LCM!

Mine didn't need to be grayed out for me: it was really easy to find. What, I'm afraid, is not good news... ��
LCM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #72
Trogdor

Hi,

I'm too late for this as I just found out about it and it sounds like fun. I listened to some of the mixes for this month and there are is some good mixes there.

I will submit a mix in the December one, so watch out for Trogdor the Burninator. Gonna burn all of the other mixes away! LOL.

Last edited by Trogdor; 11-26-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #73
darjama

Please take a minute to fill out this survey to help us improve the contest.

https://forms.gle/aAga2oBJZ8mjxZ13A
Old 11-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #74
darjama

Congrats to javiramallo, who wins our November contest and the chance to pick next month's song:

If you haven't had the chance to fill out the survey (link in the post above) please do, it'll help us shape the contest going forward.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #75
javiramallo

Quote:
Congrats to javiramallo, who wins our November contest and the chance to pick next month's song:

If you haven't had the chance to fill out the survey (link in the post above) please do, it'll help us shape the contest going forward.
Heyy!! Thanks friends. I am very happy with this.

thanks to daryl for the effort.

Anyone could have won as the quality of the mixes is getting better and better.

I am proud to participate in this as it seems to me an extraordinary opportunity to continue learning from others.

Thanks for the feedbacks.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #76
jansen

Congrats to Javiramallo for an excellent mix. You had my vote, as well as bFooz and yikelu. I was amazed at the guitar sound you managed to get, mine is puny in comparison. And yet I got votes too, what an honour

As a matter of fact, as soon as I heard the other mixes I realized I had really messed up in the stereo department. Someone in the comments mentioned a mono mix, lol, right on the money. I guess I was unconsciously dragging it towards an "Exile on main street" kind of sound, low vocals, muddy sound, kind of.

Anyway, I would love to check out everyone's reaper files to learn and get better, do you think that it will be possible in the future?

cheers to all
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #77
darjama

Also on the results page, please check out the updated player with selectable start and stop points. That along with the normalization should hopefully make comparisons easier when voting in the future. Feedback is appreciated.

https://reamixed.com/results
Old 11-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #78
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansen
As a matter of fact, as soon as I heard the other mixes I realized I had really messed up in the stereo department. Someone in the comments mentioned a mono mix
I did not hardpan guitars and gave them opposite side reflections which were hardpanned. Someone commented "extra wide".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansen
Anyway, I would love to check out everyone's reaper files to learn and get better, do you think that it will be possible in the future?
Maybe you just overlooked "Download all project files" button on the result page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama
Also on the results page, please check out the updated player with selectable start and stop points.
Nice! I have some ideas but let's wait for the survey results. I'll just repeat the link in case it'll get lost among other posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama
Please take a minute to fill out this survey to help us improve the contest.

https://forms.gle/aAga2oBJZ8mjxZ13A
Old 11-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #79
Fergler

I'll post mine now for fun, I missed the deadline:

https://vocaroo.com/14VKHVHnUXWP

Went for a stadium vibe to cover the weak instrument depths in the recordings

On a completely tangent note, I can't stand the choice of mixolydian walk up for 'got that swing'. It hurts, and also it sounds like they autotuned the vocal extra hard there because it was a post-recording decision perhaps?
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #80
Trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I'll post mine now for fun, I missed the deadline:

https://vocaroo.com/14VKHVHnUXWP

Went for a stadium vibe to cover the weak instrument depths in the recordings

On a completely tangent note, I can't stand the choice of mixolydian walk up for 'got that swing'. It hurts, and also it sounds like they autotuned the vocal extra hard there because it was a post-recording decision perhaps?
I listened to your mix and I thought it was pretty good. I have not listened to any others yet though.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote