Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #241
rouldug
Human being with feelings

Default Problems always problems ;-))))

Hey everybody.
My config is Windows 10 64bits+ Reaper + Komplete 12 + Komplete Keyboard S49 Mark2 + reaKontrol.dll v0.96 and all is up to date and apparently correctly setup in Reaper config Midi device and Control Surface etc...

Everything is ok except lots of things ;-)

- Mute or Solo buttons do not work with "midi error" messages
- Scroll push idem with "midi error" messages
- no plug-in appears if I check "Instance" buttons + buttons tracks
- Track no 1 is affectd to Master, which is unnecessary and crop the intended track 8
- Tempo scrolling does not work (only the "tap" function works)
- Only 5 tracks (including the master) are visible on the Keyboard menu.

Except those points and others I forget, it works !
So please can someone tell me what is wrong in my setup ?

BR and long life to Reaper Community !
rouldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #242
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouldug View Post
... apparently correctly setup in Reaper config Midi device and Control Surface etc...
Please double check the manual that comes with ReaKontrol. There is nothing you have to configure under Control Surface to make your keyboard fully work incl transport control. Do NOT try to use MCU mode in parallel for your keyboard.

Quote:
- Mute or Solo buttons do not work with "midi error" messages
What errors? Reaper MIDI errors?

Quote:
- Scroll push idem with "midi error" messages
What is "Scroll push"?

Quote:
- no plug-in appears if I check "Instance" buttons + buttons tracks
Please read the NI S49 Mk2 keyboard manual. This is normal, there should be nothing visible in Instances when you are using automatic track focus

Quote:
So please can someone tell me what is wrong in my setup ?
It seems there are a bunch of different things not set up correctly. Please try the settings as per ReaKontrol manual, most importantly follow the MIDI device enable/disable settings that are also highlighted in the very first post of this thread. And no parallel Control Surface for the S49 Mk2 (you can of course have as many other control surfaces with different devices as you want. ReaKontrol IS you Control Surface plugin for this keyboard, no need for anything extra, no need to have any explicit settings for the S49 Mk2 under Control Surfaces in Reaper).
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #243
rouldug

OK I will cancel MCU parameters.

PS :
1 - Yes : Reaper mid errors
2 - Push scroll : when you push the scroll button on Native keyboard

Thx.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #244
rouldug

Hello Brummbear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
It seems there are a bunch of different things not set up correctly. Please try the settings as per ReaKontrol manual, most importantly follow the MIDI device enable/disable settings that are also highlighted in the very first post of this thread. And no parallel Control Surface for the S49 Mk2 (you can of course have as many other control surfaces with different devices as you want. ReaKontrol IS you Control Surface plugin for this keyboard, no need for anything extra, no need to have any explicit settings for the S49 Mk2 under Control Surfaces in Reaper).
OK I deeply followed the brochure and it stays the same.

I only enabled+control the Komplete Kontrol -1 in the MIDI devices setup (not the EXT and the DAW ones) and removed the MCU driver in the Control Surfaces setup.
Nothing changes really.

For instance, the Mute or Solo has no effect, even if I try to program them via the "action list" menu (no answer).
And if I try throught the double command Mute + [track no X] it answers by those error messages in the ReaScrit console output :

Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x43 0x1 (---> for the Mute button)
Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x44 0x1 (---> for the Solo button)

If I turn the Scroll button, it answers :

Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x64 0x41 (if I turn left)
Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x64 0x3f (if I turn right)

Only 5 tracks are visible on the kb screens with no vu-meter.

The rotating volume, loop, tempo, metro, play, rec, stop are functional.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #245
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouldug View Post
Hello Brummbear.

... it answers by those error messages in the ReaScrit console output :

Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x43 0x1 (---> for the Mute button)
Hello rouldug! Thanks for providing more information - now I think I understand what is the reason for your problems. It seems you have somehow downloaded an entirely wrong version of the plugin (maybe even from a different site on Github?). The message "Unhandled MIDI message" should not be there in any case unless you accidentally downloaded a VERY OLD version from James Teh.

If you are on Windows:
Please use one of the official ways to get ReaKontrol as listed in the first post of this thread. You have two choices:

a) directly from Github: https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...er_kontrol.dll

or

b) via ReaPack

If you are on Mac (I have not tested it because I do not own a Mac):
a) Please download from Reaper stash (link is also in the first post). This binary is maintained by @terminar.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #246
rouldug

Thanks a lot.
I'll do it.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:50 AM   #247
Appalachik

Default Is the KK61 a good choice for Reaper?

I have spent 10 very frustrating days with a brand new and dreadful Arturia Keylab Mk2. This product and the manufacturer support are poor, at best. It is boxed up ready to return to Thomann.

Every time you hit A4, (no matter where it is even moving it about with the octave keys) there is a pause before any sound!!! It is unplayable garbage. And the arrogance of their support team has to be experienced to be believed. Additionally, rapid pressing of the A4 key will trigger a number of different, useless and random behaviours in Reaper, and in Studio One Professional.

I installed it several different ways (their support had no idea... seemed they were just guessing). I suspect it is a nice looking bit of hardware, with dreadful code and a piecemeal series of software components and drivers cobbled together to make it work somewhat.

I have just found out that my Presonus Faderport 2 works absolutely perfect in Reaper (MCU) so I really only need a keyboard for its keyboard... I had hoped the Arturia would at least provide nice control of the Analog Lab 4, but even that is a complete joke on my setups... even the search box fails to take input from my Macbook keyboard!!!

If there was a.nice keyboard (really good synth feel) rather than a weighty piano action - Arturia was okay in this respect at least... anyway, a decent keybed with 49 keys minimum, and a few drum pads would be a bonus... although I guess a separate device could handle that?

I think this might be my first question here... I have tended to find my own way around Reaper, and we now have our own dedicated Ninjam server and fully encrypted chat platform that work incredibly well for jams, sessions and lessons, so Reaper is The Way Forward in our pro environment as well as in the home studio.
Appalachik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:51 AM   #248
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !
I use Reaper a lot for live playing.

I happily use keyboards by Yamaha and Kawai (and Roli), but I feel that NI keyboards also will do fine, but they are especially crafted for use with the Kontrol software and hence their "interface" controls are in focus.

I seem to remember having read that they use keys by Novation so that might be an option, as well.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-31-2020 at 02:37 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #249
Appalachik

Default Arturia’s Keylab Mk2 NOT Reaper friendly

Thanks for the reply Michael. Arturia even ship a Reaper overlay in the box, and claim it has mappings for Reaper thar can be configured in both their midi manager, and via the keyboard itself. Not True. Every time I set up the keyboard, it decided to change the keyboard mapping to Reason,! And it did this 30 times!

Based on my experience over 10 days, this keyboard has way too many software bugs to recommend on ANY daw. Just as an example... say you want to access rtheir Analogue Lab 4 plugins... and you quite reasonably want to search the 6,500 sounds... but not by scrolling through all of them, so you go to the box labelled “search” and it refuses to respond to keystrokes from the computer - thus, it is practically impossible to search for sounds.

How a company who can come up with a product as well designed as the Keystep can produce this Keylab Mk2 to such a poor standard is inexplicable.
Appalachik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #250
mschnell

I don't have an NI keyboard (but a friend of mine has), And the sound searching via Komplete Kontrol seems like the best available.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #251
briandress

i am stuck. i copied the dll to the user plugins folder and i have the m32 connected successfully message upon opening reaper

i am able to use the fancy transport controls. This is amazing btw.

I am unable to play the instrument with the keyboard. I am not using komplete kontrol vst I am using kontakt vst.

Instrument is Getgood Drums Modern and Massive.

Edit. I got it worked out. I had to enable the keyboard as midi input in device preferences.

Questions about the quantize button. It now just pulls up the options menu for quantize but can it be set to perform the quantize action?

Last edited by briandress; 06-01-2020 at 12:04 PM.
briandress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #252
rouldug

Quote:
If you are on Windows:
Please use one of the official ways to get ReaKontrol as listed in the first post of this thread. You have two choices:

a) directly from Github: https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...er_kontrol.dll
Dear Bear,

IT WORKS !!! Thanks a lot !
Old 06-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #253
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandress View Post
Questions about the quantize button. It now just pulls up the options menu for quantize but can it be set to perform the quantize action?
The QUANTIZE button toggles Reaper's "Quantize Track MIDI Recording" aka "MIDI input quantize" for the selected track (= Reaper action# 42033). You should be able to see this in the Window that pops up (the little check mark in the upper left corner toggles on/off when you press the keyboard's QUANTIZE button). It also shows on the track input in TCP view depending on how you have sized your window panes. Works flawlessly here.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:48 AM   #254
terminar

Default Komplete Kontrol Keyboard detected but failed to connect. ....

@brummbear
I found an issue with the current version of Reaper and reaKontrol,
not sure if this is OSX specific or specific to a Reaper version.

When my Maschine Mikro MK3 + Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 are both connected (and the MMK3 is turned on/initialized as last device after the KK (while booting or just when i switch the devices on manually), reaKontrol finds my KK (setting KK_MIDI_FOUND) but then runs into the timeout (KK detected but failed....).

The callbacks (SetSurfaceSelected, SetSurfaceVolume, SetSurfacePan, SetTrackListChange, ......) are called but the call to _onMidiEvent() with CMD_HELLO is missing (which results in the timeout then).
I even changed the CONNECT_N to 20 for a test.

The only thing that helps is to turn my KK off and on, wait some seconds and then, the connection is successful (which of course is not working with 2 reconnects). If this is done before the reaper start, then it's working as expected.

----
TL;DR: The KK have to be the last device turned on when a Mikro Maschine MK3 is connected. Is this a known issue?

I'm not sure if the MMMK3 is taking over the "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" virtual device?
terminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #255
brummbear

@terminar
Hmmm, no, this is not a "known issue" to me. I have a hunch regarding related issues but this may be not at play in the case you describe.

Are you sure that really no MIDI events are coming in
Code:
MIDI_eventlist* list = this->_midiIn->GetReadBuf();
after the devices were created
Code:
this->_midiIn = CreateMIDIInput(inDev);
this->_midiOut = CreateMIDIOutput(outDev, false, nullptr);
?

This would be very odd.

My suspicion is another one and relates to issues reported by many NI users irrespective of which DAW they are using:
I think what might happen in your case is that NIHIA receives the HELLO command but fails to respond with the handshake. I.e. the MIDI connection is established properly but NIHIA refuses/fails to get into DAW integration mode via MIDI protocol. Again, many people have reported that DAW integration (Cubase, Ableton, Logic, Reaper) fails and can often be solved by restarting NIHIA. My theory is that if another NI application talks to NIHIA via the named pipes / mach ports they can "accidentally" put NIHIA into a state that inhibits the DAW integration via MIDI mode. There is definitely a feature inside of NIHIA which does just that for a good reason: If, for example, you focus Maschine on the keyboard NIHIA will not send any DAW integration MIDI messages anymore until you remove the focus from Maschine. I imagine that the NIHIA code is convoluted enough to reach this state in a situation like you describe. It might even be enough for NIHIA itself to get into this state depedning on the order in which it detects supported devices... One work around is to stop NIHIA and restart NIHIA. This seems to unlock a "mistaken focus" which in turn can inhibit the DAW MIDI integration.

In short: I doubt that MMMk3 captures the "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" device (as this would lead to errors or even cause Reaper to crash). I think that NIHIA simply ignores the request to get into DAW integration MIDI message mode because it wrongly assumes it should somehow give preference/focus to Maschine.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:05 AM   #256
terminar

Default <not present>

Quote:
@terminar
Are you sure that really no MIDI events are coming in
Code:
MIDI_eventlist* list = this->_midiIn->GetReadBuf();
after the devices were created
Code:
this->_midiIn = CreateMIDIInput(inDev);
this->_midiOut = CreateMIDIOutput(outDev, false, nullptr);
?
I investigated a bit today. Yesterday was a little different situation because the Machine2SW was running, but the main problem still exists. But i now have maybe an answer how this happens.
I added some debug code to track the problem and i saw that "getKkMidiInput() jumps out at the "GetMIDIInputName(...) call because the device was not present. I then checked the REAPER Preferences => Audio => MIDI Devices.

I have two "DAW" devices:
- Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1
- Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Maschine Mikro MK3

And now the interesting part. When the MMMK3 is turned on as last device, the "Bome... Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" device is listed as "<not present>" and the "Bome... Maschine Mikro MK3" is listed as "Enabled+Control".
Then, when i turn the KKMK2 off and on (leading to KKMK2 be the last device turned on) and i re-enter "MIDI Devices", The "Bome... Komplete Kontrol - DAW 1" is back (and listed as <disabled> because it have disabled it for reaKontrol) but the "Bome... Maschine Mikro MK3" device is marked as "!!! N/A: Enabled+Control".

It seems that it's not possible to use both "Bome..." virtual devices at the same time.

I used hammerspoon (nice tool on OSX i use for my desktop which has also MIDI+virtual MIDI support) to get the devices. Even that is not listing both devices at the same time.

The following just lists the real and then the virtual midi devices.
At first with the KK turned on as last device, then turning off and on the MMMK3:

Code:
2020-06-07 12:59:34: Midi devices:
2020-06-07 12:59:34: -- Loading extension: midi
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 1	Netzwerk
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 2	Bluetooth
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 3	APC Key 25
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 4	KOMPLETE KONTROL S61 MK2
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 1	APC Key 25
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 2	Anschluss 1
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 3	Anschluss 2
2020-06-07 12:59:34: 4	Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1

Power cycling the MMMK3:

2020-06-07 12:59:48: Midi devices:
2020-06-07 12:59:48: -- Loading extension: midi
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 1	Netzwerk
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 2	Bluetooth
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 3	APC Key 25
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 4	KOMPLETE KONTROL S61 MK2
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 1	APC Key 25
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 2	Anschluss 1
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 3	Anschluss 2
2020-06-07 12:59:48: 4	Maschine Mikro MK3
Woosh and the "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" is gone. I think that has nothing to do with reaKontrol or Reaper but with NIHIA itself, as you expected.

Quote:
In short: I doubt that MMMk3 captures the "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" device (as this would lead to errors or even cause Reaper to crash). I think that NIHIA simply ignores the request to get into DAW integration MIDI message mode because it wrongly assumes it should somehow give preference/focus to Maschine.
I haven't tried the MMMK3 on my windows PC with reaper yet but when i remember correct - the "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG" part is not used on windows systems, meaning: There may be only one "Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" virtual device for both hardware devices. I can give feedback within the next two days about the windows stuff.

Regarding the main problem: Hrm. OK, workaround known - let the KK be the last device switched on before starting reaper - and there is nothing we can do against but writing a bug ticket to NI.

EDIT:
I wrote an entry in the NI KK forums at https://www.native-instruments.com/f...ro-mk3.416305/ - just linking it here for information.

Last edited by terminar; 06-07-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #257
brummbear

Seems like NIHIA deals with the MMMk3 like additional KK keyboards. NI may have chosen the ugly fix to disable one of the virtual MIDI devices to brush over an architectural weakness: if you check the NI forum you will find many posts about the problem of using more than one KK keyboard. One of the two must be in MIDI only mode not allowing KK-SW communication (focus) or DAW integration. Of course this would be totally solvable and would encourage people to buy more NI hardware. But NI has shown to deal with these things very slowly if at all. I think one of their struggles is the automatism they have built into the DAW support scripts (Ableton, Cubase, Logic...). Rather than making the user manually route/connect the DAW or KK-SW instances to the keyboard(s) all of it happens automatically. That is an incentive for the NI devs to bluntly disable a Midi device when NIHIA finds more than one that could take a certain role. I think it is wrong to do that as it limits the possibilities. But it is also true that some users would struggle setting these things up if NI gave them a choice. Sadly.
BTW the reason why I am still holding back on buying an M32 in addition to the S88 Mk2 that I already have. I know that connecting both cripples the functionality of one of them. Just stupid.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #258
terminar

Yes, i completely agree.
It's working with Maschine2/Komplete Kontrol but as we now know - this uses their own protocol stuff.
I think they try to be compatible to their "old" stuff (Hardware and Software) but also try to implement new things which really badly conflict, maybe they also work with different teams or outsourced? I am still confused why they are using two "agents". Whatever.
One more reason to get the "niproto" stuff finished
Old 06-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #259
taphappy

Default Halp

First off -- New KK user, was about to return this thing and call it a brick. Now it's useable, and I'm getting music done. Thanks for all the work!!

However, I'm having similar issues to what rouldug was having. I've followed the thread, and his solution, and still no joy.

Reaper v6.11
ReaKontrol v0.96
S61 MK2 (just purchased from Sweetwater, have no other NKS DAWs to test if it has issues)
"KOMPLETE KONTROL - 1" input is enable+control, output is enable.
All others disabled.
Control/OSC/Web is empty

Below is all I tested -- put in code tag because no spoiler tag.

Code:
No VU in Mixer
Mixer with new project with two KK tracks:
 - 1 master
 - 2 track 1
 - 3 Blank, still controls track 2 volume
Renaming track does not show on Mixer unless Reaper is restarted

Can not mute or solo, either with track selected or using 1-8 pads.
Mute held turns 1-8 pads yellow. Solo held, 1-8 remain white.
With mute or solo held, selecting a 1-8 pad, I get (Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x43 0x3)

Can not activate Ext. Edit mode. Shift+4D depress = (Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x13 0x1)
Shift-Record same error (Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x13 0x1)
Shift-Play works (restart)
Shift-Undo works (redo)

Scroll playhead right (Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x64 0x3f) 
Left (Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x64 0x41)
Loop is lit, sometimes lights up more when pressed. Sometimes laggy response. Sometimes toggles. Sometimes does not.
Metro sometimes toggles. Sometimes stays lit and metro is triggered off.

Set knob 1-8 to volume or panorama works
Coarse Adjust vol/pan 1-8 bank works
Coarse Adjust vol/pan 4D does not (+ Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x64 0xc) (- Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x64 0x74)

Always Unlit:
Undo
Quantize (Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x22 0x1)
Clear (Unhandled MIDI message 0xbf 0x15 0x1)
And Scene/Pattern/Track/Key Mode, but didn't see them used in the ReaKontrol manual.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
taphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #260
brummbear

The fact that you get “Unhandled MIDI message” is a sure indicator that you are not using a binary that I provide via the officially supported channels, I.e. either Github (Releases) or Reapack. Please try the links in the first post. You must have accidentally installed a binary from someone else. I have no idea how this may happen, but the links I provide sure work. Be sure to download from the latest github release (assets) or use Reapack.
PS: if you look at the assets on the github release section I also provide the hashes for the file. Anyway, I suppose you have inadvertently picked the wrong file (from what you write it could be an old file from James Teh). ReaKontrol 0.96 does not create any messages about unhandled Midi events.

Last edited by brummbear; 06-16-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #261
taphappy

Quote:
The fact that you get “Unhandled MIDI message” is a sure indicator that you are not using a binary that I provide via the officially supported channels, I.e. either Github (Releases) or Reapack. Please try the links in the first post. You must have accidentally installed a binary from someone else. I have no idea how this may happen, but the links I provide sure work. Be sure to download from the latest github release (assets) or use Reapack.
PS: if you look at the assets on the github release section I also provide the hashes for the file. Anyway, I suppose you have inadvertently picked the wrong file (from what you write it could be an old file from James Teh). ReaKontrol 0.96 does not create any messages about unhandled Midi events.
Argh. It's even dumber than that. Technically, I had your version. Prior to downloading (multiple copies) of your version, I had tried the Teh version.

Somehow during my struggles, I ended up with:

Appdata/REAPER/UserPlugins - which is where your DLL was happily doing nothing.
Appdata/Roaming/REAPER/UserPlugins - which is where the old Teh version was.

Deleted the non-Roaming folder and put yours in the right spot. Haven't gone through everything, but I've got VUs (snoopy dance), and Ext Edit and all sorts of stuff!

My bad. Much shame.
Thanks for the patience <3
Old 06-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #262
brummbear

No worries - glad it works for you now. Have fun!

You may find some additional hints in ReaKontrol’s manual that can make your workflow super enjoyable with this keyboard in Reaper like settings related to automation etc.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #263
taphappy

Quote:
You may find some additional hints in ReaKontrol’s manual that can make your workflow super enjoyable with this keyboard in Reaper like settings related to automation etc.
Sweet! Will check em out
Old 06-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #264
ToughBigman

Default I'm having trouble understanding how to do this

Hey! Thanks for coding this out. Whenever I start Reaper my Mac won't let me run it. Is there a way I can copy the code you made on the GitHub page and put it in a script program on my computer? Sorry if that sounds weird, I don't know a lot about how coding works. The file that keeps malfunctioning is the dylib file. I'm also using Catalina I'm not sure if that's part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
Hi,

for those who wants to use reaKontrol on OSX (like me) - it's possible now.

I made a small "port" this evening, code is available as pull request (https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol/pull/42).
The resulting shared library for Reaper can be found here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/38633/reaper_kontrol.dylib

Bye
Björn

Last edited by ToughBigman; 06-18-2020 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added more info
ToughBigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:11 AM   #265
Travesty

Hello,

Thanks for doing this. It's very useful.

Would it be possible for the new track functionality to reference a track template?

I don't want to add KompleteKontrol to every track, as it slows down track and project instancing.

Cheers
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #266
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Hello,

Thanks for doing this. It's very useful.

Would it be possible for the new track functionality to reference a track template?

I don't want to add KompleteKontrol to every track, as it slows down track and project instancing.

Cheers
Fair point! It was my original intention but I dropped it to avoid dependencies on extra templates, SWS etc. to spare users from potential installation issues in individual environments.

However, for the next update I will consider a minimal invasive solution (have to test a few alternatives once I find the time).
Old 06-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #267
brummbear

... here is a fun distraction for those who have a Komplete Kontrol keyboard and wonder what "else" to do with the touch strip (this is entirely independent of ReaKontrol):

Check out my latest plugin "LiveScrubberDucky" https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=238590

The plugin is actually meant for "real" scratching but you can also use it for some creative messing around:

Place it after the KK VSTi plugin and then MIDI link your keyboard's touch strip (normally set to CC11) to LiveScrubberDucky's "SCRUB ME" slider. Now you can live scratch the audio coming from your KK instrument onto itself, i.e. play something with your right hand while scratching the same audio with your left on the touch strip. This can be quite silly madness of course...

Works nicely on vocal loops! Maybe also fun on synth pads or hip-hop-ish drums loops.

Recommended settings to start with as per attached screenshot (set Eigen-X-Fade = On, also compare the other parameters)

Attached Images
File Type: png LiveScrubberDucky_Settings.png (56.4 KB, 1213 views)
Old 06-27-2020, 02:16 AM   #268
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Quote:
...for the next update I will consider a minimal invasive solution (have to test a few alternatives once I find the time).
Roadmap outlook:
After playing around with a few alternatives I have settled on a direction: The next release (V1.0, Windows) will add a configuration file reakontrol.ini to the plugin. The configuration file can be edited with any text editor and allows to define custom actions by their action ID and a name you can freely pick. When entering the Extended Edit Mode in ReaKontrol these actions are shown on the display and can be selected via the top row buttons of the keyboard. Initially there will be 8 action slots. For example you can have one action that inserts a new track from a template that contains the KK VSTi plugin, another one that starts a script etc. In this way you can keep Reaper in its standard settings regarding new tracks. And you get some nice new functions that you can tailor to your individual situation via the ini file.

Since file system support is somewhat OS dependent the OSX port may require a bit more tweaking from @terminar once we are there.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #269
Kyleman

Just tried the new MacOS version with my NI KK MK2 S88. My Mac is a 2015 MBP 13'' running Catalina 10.15.5 with REAPER v6.12c/64 rev 8af23c (Jun 15 2020).
When I switch tracks something crashes and my keyboard gets stuck in midi mode I think. Is there something I'm missing, not doing, or is this just really buggy?
once things crash I can still switch tracks and play fine, but non of the nobs speak and I can't browse anymore to change an instrument.
Kyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #270
brummbear

Maybe @terminar has an idea what you could try on MacOS. I don’t have a Mac and thus cannot provide any support. From what you describe it sounds like a driver problem or something inside KK VSTi. On the NI forums there are many reports about huge problems of NI software & hardware with Catalina. According to NI the very latest versions of their products should run with Catalina but some legacy devices will not be supported anymore.

On Windows it runs rock solid for me.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #271
hilluck

Default Thanks a lot from sunny Australia

Just bought my first NI keyboard...and can't thank you enough Brummbear for your work on making the damn thing work properly in REAPER. I had a Novation Impulse before and it integrated better but wanted 88 keys with hammer action so opted for this. Beautiful to play but so much missing...I can't even map an action to a midi controller...unless I'm missing something. Look forward to your next releases. Go well and again thanks!

Quote:
Roadmap outlook:
After playing around with a few alternatives I have settled on a direction: The next release (V1.0, Windows) will add a configuration file reakontrol.ini to the plugin. The configuration file can be edited with any text editor and allows to define custom actions by their action ID and a name you can freely pick. When entering the Extended Edit Mode in ReaKontrol these actions are shown on the display and can be selected via the top row buttons of the keyboard. Initially there will be 8 action slots. For example you can have one action that inserts a new track from a template that contains the KK VSTi plugin, another one that starts a script etc. In this way you can keep Reaper in its standard settings regarding new tracks. And you get some nice new functions that you can tailor to your individual situation via the ini file.

Since file system support is somewhat OS dependent the OSX port may require a bit more tweaking from @terminar once we are there.
hilluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #272
Kyleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleman View Post
When I switch tracks something crashes and my keyboard gets stuck in midi mode I think. Is there something I'm missing, not doing, or is this just really buggy?
Helps to read the docs. I was using the AU Komplete Kontrol virtual instrument not the VST. This might be something worth looking into adding a check for when on MacOS. There really isn't any benefits to using either one over the other, but MacOS will most definitely have both and it would be nice if reaKontrol handled this seamlessly.
Kyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #273
brummbear

Quote:
Helps to read the docs. I was using the AU Komplete Kontrol virtual instrument not the VST. This might be something worth looking into adding a check for when on MacOS. There really isn't any benefits to using either one over the other, but MacOS will most definitely have both and it would be nice if reaKontrol handled this seamlessly.
Glad you figured it out. The VST(i) has another MAJOR advantage over the AU: it can output MIDI. For example, you can use the Arpeggiator and Scale Mode of KK to control another instrument outside of KK! This is not possible with AU which in my opinion is a big shortcoming of Audio Units in general.

Last edited by brummbear; 06-28-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:45 AM   #274
terminar

Quote:
Is there something I'm missing, not doing, or is this just really buggy?
Seems that you have found the reason (the AU) - but just another general information for you:

Are you using just the KKMK2-S88 or additionally other NI products (like Maschine [Mikro])? There are some currently known "stability" problems where the NIHIA/NIHA services (which connect the devices) do curious things due to the virtual midi port which the agents provide and device clashes.
Also i'm not sure about stability on Catalina - i'm still on Mojave.

If that's not the case in your situation i maybe need to add some more debugging.

If you are in that type of crashed situation, try the following:
- Exit Reaper
- Exit every standalone NI software (Komplete Kontrol, Maschine2, ...)
- Power off your KKMK2
- Fire up a terminal and type:
- "killall NIHostIntegrationAgent" and
- "killall NIHardwareAgent"
- "open /Library/Application\ Support/Native\ Instruments/Hardware/NIHardwareAgent.app &"
- "open /Library/Application\ Support/Native\ Instruments/Hardware/NIHostIntegrationAgent.app &"
- Power on your KKMK2
- Start Reaper

Maybe you can reanimate your devices then.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 AM   #275
terminar

Quote:
Maybe @terminar has an idea what you could try on MacOS. I don’t have a Mac and thus cannot provide any support.
On Windows it runs rock solid for me.
Also works really stable on Mojave - but (and that's important) - only when KK is the last switched-on device (as mentioned in this thread above).

I was able to open a bug ticket at NI regarding that problem.

---
FYI: I'm on my way to port the last MR to OSX (trying to use swel) - thanks for the comment mentioning SWEL.
Maybe in the future we can find some more general portable C++ code for such things or do we want to focus on just using WDL/swel and that stuff?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #276
terminar

Quote:
Finished.
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol/pull/47

Please don't kill me.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #277
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
I was able to open a bug ticket at NI regarding that problem.
I am curious what they have to say

Quote:
...I'm on my way to port...Finished.
Lol - That was fast! And thanks for spotting that bug!

Quote:
Maybe in the future we can find some more general portable C++ code for such things or do we want to focus on just using WDL/swel and that stuff?
I thought it was the easiest way for what is intended here, since it is "native" to the Reaper dev approach for cross platform stuff. Apparently it was easy enough for you as well to use WDL/SWELL to be blistering fast with the port.

Quote:
Please don't kill me.
Would be hard to achieve this over the distance Please allow me some time to review cmake - I am very open to this but would like to familiarize myself first before making a switch. I still need to find a few hours to update the manual (requires a few more remarks this time about templates and stuff) and get the next Windows release out. After that I will review your pull request with the goal to merge it into master.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #278
brummbear

Default ReaKontrol v1.0

ReaKontrol v1.0 is here!
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...ases/tag/v1.00

Changes from previous release:
+ added CUSTOM ACTIONS functionality
+ user editable configuration file

Notes:
This release expands the capabilities and allows to enhance your workflow considerably with custom actions and scripts. Please make sure to read the updated manual as some recommended Reaper settings have changed.

To take full advantage of the new capabilities you want at the very least to have SWS installed and make use of the SWS-Resources Editor and its associated actions to insert track templates, fx chains etc.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:52 AM   #279
terminar

Quote:
Lol - That was fast! And thanks for spotting that bug!
You're welcome. But - not my merit in general but clang's. Clang (10(.1)) is much more strict than VS and told me to look at it

Quote:
I thought it was the easiest way for what is intended here, since it is "native" to the Reaper dev approach for cross platform stuff. Apparently it was easy enough for you as well to use WDL/SWELL to be blistering fast with the port.
That - or i am just a terrific coder! But I think you are right.
Correct, I'm just forgetting that Cockos is using WDL itself for Reaper (right?).

But my complains have some reason.
For my taste the WDL code is not in the best shape. Just using specific functions will get more and more compliated. Someday i maybe need to compile WDL/swell as library to link against reaKontrol only to have working OSX support. And it seems that WDL does much more global stuff when using the library (which is not needed for our use case), maybe i can compile it as static library, haven't looked at it any further.

Alternatively if it's just for such small functions i'll maybe implement them in a portable header/source file when needed - we'll see. Not really important now.

Another problem with WDL/swell - it uses deprecated functions on OSX (deprecated since 10.8 which shouldn't even be available on 64bit systems), that's a ticking time bomb. BUT - yes. Since Cockos is still commiting to https://github.com/justinfrankel/WDL we should be safe.

Quote:
Would be hard to achieve this over the distance
Ha. Magical things happens around the world! Mind control! Telepathy! Tomatoes! I don't trust you on this now!

Quote:
Please allow me some time to review cmake - I am very open to this but would like to familiarize myself first before making a switch.
Of course, take your time. I'm also not sure if it's maybe needed to rebase my code on 1.0.0. I also missed one commit to remove the git submodule from git itself (i only removed the .gitmodule file but it's still initialized in the repository).

So if you are fine with the idea itself give me a hint and i'll create a new PR. Or just merge the files from the PR yourself into new separate commits, i'm fine with that.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:10 AM   #280
brummbear

Default New build system in place

@terminar: ok, the switch to CMake is done after making some small changes. Was more painful than expected (silly 32/64bit mess on Windows) but I do see the benefit for cross platform maintenance and the cleaner way of dealing with dependencies. Thx for raising the issue!

I guess it's your turn now to build the OSX binaries. What about publishing those also via ReaPack?