Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #9401
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Not necessary for de-activation, but is there to indicate that the Zones share an FXSlot number, and that number must be passed to the sub Zones.
Ah, I remember now Forgot about the slot numbers. I hear regex calling...
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:10 AM   #9402
andyp24

Hi all

I long ago lost track of this project and any reasonable understanding of what it will do when released.... :-)

But I am in the market for a good DAW controller for mixing. The Softube Console 1/fader units look nice, although I wouldn't really want to be stuck using just their EQ, compressor VSTs etc.

Am I right that with CSI, at some point in the future, I would be able to use the Console 1 and its fader unit as a DAW controller for Reaper and other VST plugins as long as I create the maps for those VST parameters?

Is there a better option for me than the Console 1&fader?

Cheers
Andy

Also, any rough estimate when this might be a stable product for working with rather than a constantly evolving beta test environment? Six months? A year? Two years? I applaud Geoff and all the people who are testing and refining it, but I just don't have the time to do that around my work, although I'd love to use a stable version of it for what it promises to be able to do.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #9403
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Hi all

I long ago lost track of this project and any reasonable understanding of what it will do when released.... :-)
Me too

Seriously, nice to see you.

Make sure you take a peek at the wiki mentioned in my sig -- the red link.

Quote:
But I am in the market for a good DAW controller for mixing. The Softube Console 1/fader units look nice, although I wouldn't really want to be stuck using just their EQ, compressor VSTs etc.
You aren't stuck just using their stuff, I run Console 1 as a midi controller only -- I don't launch their software -- I can still use their supplied Console(s) as VST's just like all my other VST's, so nothing is lost.

Quote:
Am I right that with CSI, at some point in the future, I would be able to use the Console 1 and its fader unit as a DAW controller for Reaper and other VST plugins as long as I create the maps for those VST parameters?
Yes, lots of folks are already doing just that

Quote:
I love the Console 1, but I wish the Fader had scribble strips, that's a show stopper for me, other folks will chime in I'm sure

Quote:
Also, any rough estimate when this might be a stable product for working with rather than a constantly evolving beta test environment? Six months? A year? Two years? I applaud Geoff and all the people who are testing and refining it, but I just don't have the time to do that around my work, although I'd love to use a stable version of it for what it promises to be able to do.
Of course with software it's always a guess, but I would say, once this new architecture is in place -- about another week -- it's getting delayed for a slight eye operation (cataracts) -- after that I would say it will be stable enough to use in a professional environment sometime in the July-August timeframe. My internal goal is to make sure 1.0 is out before the 4 year mark of the project, which is Oct 27, 2020
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #9404
Funkybot

Best of luck with the cataract surgery! Don't rush back on our account.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #9405
andyp24

Thanks Geoff - all sounds very encouraging.

What would you suggest instead of the console 1 fader unit?

I don't know if you remember, back about 4,000 posts ago, I was asking about support for using the Behringer X32 as a fader surface. Is that still a possibility, or is the OSC control of that still a way off?

Then again, due to the layout in my studio, the X32 is off to my side when I'm editing, and can't really be in front of me, so something small like the Console 1 that can go on my desk right in front of me would be great.

I echo Funkybot's best wishes for the op; hope all goes smoothly.

Andy
Old 06-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #9406
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Best of luck with the cataract surgery! Don't rush back on our account.
Absolutely! Make sure you take enough time to recover.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #9407
Cragster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Absolutely! Make sure you take enough time to recover.

Me too Geoff..best wishes. I hope all goes well. Thanks you for everything!!!!
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #9408
phillippeo

Quote:
Hi all

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I just started using the Fader 1 with Console 1 and the Behringer X touch one and yes, it was really weird until..... I realised that you have to think a bit outside the box... split your workflow in to three stages, writing, tracking and mixing. In writing mode, I personally work with the Maschine Mk3 outside of Reaper. Then as I start to piece together a track I go in to Reaper and start tracking. For this, The X touch One works beautifully alongside the Fader 1. Then when I move in to mix mode, You work exclusively with X touch One and Fader One which both work flawlessly together.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #9409
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Thanks Geoff - all sounds very encouraging.

What would you suggest instead of the console 1 fader unit?
A real Mackie MCU is still very good, unless something has changed recently.

The new Faderport 8/16 only has one encoder, so that is a show stopper for me.

I still have some Artist Mix units, they are good - discontinued late lat year, but supported until 2024, you have to buy into the EuCon ecosystem, although, I must say the results are pretty good so far with EuCon being used alongside Midi and OSC in CSI.

I'm sure there are lots more.

Quote:
I don't know if you remember, back about 4,000 posts ago, I was asking about support for using the Behringer X32 as a fader surface. Is that still a possibility, or is the OSC control of that still a way off?
Yes I do remember, OSC has been operational since last summer, here's a short demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byqW...ature=youtu.be

Quote:
IThen again, due to the layout in my studio, the X32 is off to my side when I'm editing, and can't really be in front of me, so something small like the Console 1 that can go on my desk right in front of me would be great.
Andy
Yeah I've rearranged my setup since the video to make things more compact and accessible.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #9410
Geoff Waddington

Thanks for the good wishes all
Old 06-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #9411
andyp24

Quote:
The new Faderport 8/16 only has one encoder, so that is a show stopper for me.
Not sure I understand this... the Console 1 fader unit also has only one encoder, doesn't it?

I still like the look of the original Console 1 for the multi-rotary channel strip, so looking for a fader unit to accompany it perhaps. I'll check out the video on OSC, thanks.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #9412
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Not sure I understand this... the Console 1 fader unit also has only one encoder, doesn't it?
Ok, another reason why it's not for me

Quote:
I still like the look of the original Console 1 for the multi-rotary channel strip, so looking for a fader unit to accompany it perhaps. I'll check out the video on OSC, thanks.
Yeah, the video shows an iPhone and iPad running via OSC and a Console 1 running via Midi -- just in case you don't know you can freely mix and match Midi/OSC/EuCon surfaces simultaneously in CSI, as shown in the video.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #9413
andyp24

Yeah, saw the video thanks.

It all looks very impressive... I just have no idea how long it would take me to get working unless someone else has already done the X32 OSC mst file, which I guess would make it quicker. Seems like there's quite a learning curve for users.

I'll keep checking in a bit more regularly over the next few weeks.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #9414
phillippeo

Default X Touch One files

Hi,

Does any one have a fully configured zone and mst file for the X Touch One? (Including the jog wheel hack)

I'm using the Mossgrabber extension currently which is working very well with the mouse click follow track thing but I want to assign my own actions to the function keys which is currently not available in the Mossgrabber extension.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #9415
80icio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Yes, I've been using the Eucon app for a while now, first with Geoff's older Eucon plugin, and now with CSI. You can add it just like any other Eucon surface. Not all of the features of the app work with Reaper currently, but hopefully that should change as CSI get updated.
Great!
I'm actually thinking on buying TouchOSC...but i just wanted to figure out how Avid control works just for the sake of it.

So, i downloaded all the CSI stuff and Eucon plug in from Reaper stash.
Eucontrol is on, Avid control on my ipad is on,
then i add CSI on control surface preferences and i choose Eucon but nothing really happens.

What am i missing?
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #9416
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80icio View Post
Great!
I'm actually thinking on buying TouchOSC...but i just wanted to figure out how Avid control works just for the sake of it.

So, i downloaded all the CSI stuff and Eucon plug in from Reaper stash.
Eucontrol is on, Avid control on my ipad is on,
then i add CSI on control surface preferences and i choose Eucon but nothing really happens.

What am i missing?
Did you follow the instructions on the wiki -- link to wiki is the red one in my sig below.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #9417
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yeah, saw the video thanks.

It all looks very impressive... I just have no idea how long it would take me to get working unless someone else has already done the X32 OSC mst file, which I guess would make it quicker. Seems like there's quite a learning curve for users.

I'll keep checking in a bit more regularly over the next few weeks.
Make sure to skim through the wiki, it's (mostly) up to date
Old 06-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #9418
80icio

Quote:
Did you follow the instructions on the wiki -- link to wiki is the red one in my sig below.
I guess i've lost some parts while i was reading it! it's working right now!
thanks
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #9419
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeo View Post
Hi,

Does any one have a fully configured zone and mst file for the X Touch One? (Including the jog wheel hack)

I'm using the Mossgrabber extension currently which is working very well with the mouse click follow track thing but I want to assign my own actions to the function keys which is currently not available in the Mossgrabber extension.

Thanks in advance
Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21f9z72djk...evice.zip?dl=0

Note: for the Selected Track version to work, make sure the device is on fader 1 (the address of the fader data starts with b0) before you go into MCU STD mode in the X-Touch One. Once you do that, it should just work.

For Track Bank to work in the SelectedTrack mode, you may have to create a custom action that runs Track: Select Next Track, 8 times. Then assign those custom actions to the bank buttons. Then do the same for the previous track. This is to simulate track banking and just jumps up 8 tracks.

Last edited by Funkybot; 06-03-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #9420
WaveTrans

Quote:
...it's getting delayed for a slight eye operation (cataracts)
Best Wishes for your surgery!
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:54 AM   #9421
phillippeo

Quote:
Here you go:

Note: for the Selected Track version to work, make sure the device is on fader 1 (the address of the fader data starts with b0) before you go into MCU STD mode in the X-Touch One. Once you do that, it should just work.

For Track Bank to work in the SelectedTrack mode, you may have to create a custom action that runs Track: Select Next Track, 8 times. Then assign those custom actions to the bank buttons. Then do the same for the previous track. This is to simulate track banking and just jumps up 8 tracks.
Hi Funkybot,

Thanks so much for this. Can you explain what you mean by "make sure the device is on fader 1"?

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:06 AM   #9422
Funkybot

Quote:
Hi Funkybot,

Thanks so much for this. Can you explain what you mean by "make sure the device is on fader 1"?

Thanks again.
The XTouch One has 8 virtual faders in the MCU modes. So if it's on fader one and you hit next track, internally, it jumps to fader two. This allows the one fader surface to work as a standard MCU device. So you need to get the surface on that first virtual fader for that Selected Track mode to work.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #9423
matthias.matthias

Default How to get back into Pan Mode

I have a QConProG2 with ne QConExG2. In CSI for surface and zone I use an adjusted MCU or the BehringerXTouch one. Both work pretty well. I can even adjust send levels for one selected channel.

BUT the I can't switch back to normal mode with level faders and pan pots for the channels (I believe it is called pan mode) no matter which button I press.

Does anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance!
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #9424
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias.matthias View Post
I have a QConProG2 with ne QConExG2. In CSI for surface and zone I use an adjusted MCU or the BehringerXTouch one. Both work pretty well. I can even adjust send levels for one selected channel.

BUT the I can't switch back to normal mode with level faders and pan pots for the channels (I believe it is called pan mode) no matter which button I press.

Have you tried the set of files in this post?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=9356
Old 06-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #9425
kirk1701

I'm new to the CSI project, so I'm just wondering if anyone has a config file for Faderport 1/Classic?

I'm trying to assign CC#11 to the fader.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #9426
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I'm new to the CSI project, so I'm just wondering if anyone has a config file for Faderport 1/Classic?

I'm trying to assign CC#11 to the fader.
The fader on the Faderport Classic isn't supported in CSI. It's one of the few surfaces that don't play nicely with CSI because of how the fader transmits data. And yes, this is a little ironic considering Geoff wrote the firmware for the original Faderport way back in the day. I believe even he as acknowledged as much.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #9427
phillippeo

Quote:
Here you go:

Hi Funkybot,

I'm not sure if I'm missing a file or something else but the following does not work:

Transport > Click (does nothing)
Transport > Solo (does nothing)

Zoom (doesn't light up or do anything)
Jog Wheel (moves cursor but not play head)

Should this all behave differently or is this how you have your set up working?

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #9428
Funkybot

Quote:
Hi Funkybot,

I'm not sure if I'm missing a file or something else but the following does not work:

Transport > Click (does nothing)
Transport > Solo (does nothing)

Zoom (doesn't light up or do anything)
Jog Wheel (moves cursor but not play head)

Should this all behave differently or is this how you have your set up working?

Thanks again.
Check the included .png for the mapping I used. Then it will all make sense. I'm using an overlay with surface and my mapping is sort of halfway in between the Cubase overlay and halfway in between the Reaper overlay.

Once you understand the mapping, feel free to edit the .zon file to change anything you'd like.

Regarding the button lights not turning on, some are intentionally commented out in my .mst. This was done because some Reaper actions don't report the state correctly to the surface, so depending what you have mapped to a button, you may not want the light to be constantly on. If not, you'll need to comment off the FB_TwoState line, which is what I did for certain buttons. If you change the action however to something that does correctly report the state to the surface, and you want the light back on, find the widget in the .mst file and just delete the "/" at the start of the FB_TwoState line for each widget.

Last edited by Funkybot; 06-04-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #9429
kirk1701

Quote:
The fader on the Faderport Classic isn't supported in CSI. It's one of the few surfaces that don't play nicely with CSI because of how the fader transmits data. And yes, this is a little ironic considering Geoff wrote the firmware for the original Faderport way back in the day. I believe even he as acknowledged as much.
Dammit. Good to know.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #9430
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Dammit. Good to know.
Yeah, new Faderport works. X-Touch One. The ICON Platform Nano. Just not the Faderport Classic. Which totally sucks if that's what you already have.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #9431
mschnell

Maybe there is a way to do an OSCIIBot script to preprocess Midi from/to the Faderport ...
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #9432
Amberience

Scuse my ignorance folks. Is there a repository of MST files for various devices for this yet or are we still not there with it?

Just wondering how far I would get trying to put a CSI surface setup together for my Ableton Push2 (I actually have two of them!) and my Komplete Kontrol S49.

I was using DrivenByMoss but had some performance issues with it and larger projects, so wanted to try this out.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #9433
inertia

Quote:
That's hilarious
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #9434
ramses

Quote:
Hi all

Is there a better option for me than the Console 1&fader? [...]
I'm a fairly recent C1 & Fader adept. I REALLY like the combo for mixing. I've over all been very happy since making the transition from mouse-clicking, making loads of progress, and I've been mixing for nearly 20 years already. I highly recommend it, using Softubes own plugins, though they are fairly expensive.

I've managed to map out a few non-softube plugins for the C1, but ran into problems due to how the potentiometers of C1 are mapped as 7bit faders, not really giving the adequate resolution and control for working with many plugins as is. I've been told that dealing with the C1, and eventual remapping of the 7bit potentiometers is "on the list", so I have confidence that this issue will be solved down the line. And when it is, the C1+fader combo will be hard to beat IMO.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #9435
andyp24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
I'm a fairly recent C1 & Fader adept. I REALLY like the combo for mixing. I've over all been very happy since making the transition from mouse-clicking, making loads of progress, and I've been mixing for nearly 20 years already. I highly recommend it, using Softubes own plugins, though they are fairly expensive.

I've managed to map out a few non-softube plugins for the C1, but ran into problems due to how the potentiometers of C1 are mapped as 7bit faders, not really giving the adequate resolution and control for working with many plugins as is. I've been told that dealing with the C1, and eventual remapping of the 7bit potentiometers is "on the list", so I have confidence that this issue will be solved down the line. And when it is, the C1+fader combo will be hard to beat IMO.
Thanks. I'm pretty sold on the C1 For "channel strip FX" duties. It's the fader unit I'm not so sure about. Something like the Behringer x-touch has scribble strips to show what channel a fader is controlling, and a rotary (panpot) for each fader, which seems like a big advantage. On the other hand, I bet the C1 faders are better quality.

How do you manage the absence of scribble strip and panpot?

Cheers
Old 06-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #9436
phillippeo

Quote:
Check the included .png for the mapping I used. Then it will all make sense. I'm using an overlay with surface and my mapping is sort of halfway in between the Cubase overlay and halfway in between the Reaper overlay.

Once you understand the mapping, feel free to edit the .zon file to change anything you'd like.

Regarding the button lights not turning on, some are intentionally commented out in my .mst. This was done because some Reaper actions don't report the state correctly to the surface, so depending what you have mapped to a button, you may not want the light to be constantly on. If not, you'll need to comment off the FB_TwoState line, which is what I did for certain buttons. If you change the action however to something that does correctly report the state to the surface, and you want the light back on, find the widget in the .mst file and just delete the "/" at the start of the FB_TwoState line for each widget.
Thanks,

I think I've got it configured and CSI makes a bit more sense now to me. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 PM   #9437
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias.matthias View Post

Take a look at the post that Funkybot put. It's got my MTS files and my Zone files. Also feel free to send me a PM and I can provide the latest files. For some reason the G2 console can go into SEND mode or FX
Just fine, but it cannot get out of it properly. You have to hit the SEND button to disengage the mode but then you get caught in Limbo. To get out you have to have a go HOME button. Same with FX button. On one of these I was able to make a hack so it goes back fine but I have to do it on both.
Again, I'll be happy to help. I think tonight bill also make a map of what my commands are. But also when you look at my files I kept a lot of notes so people can understand what each line is doing.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:54 AM   #9438
kram0

Default OSC widgets

Is it possible to accept relative values from endless encoders via OSC?

I'm testing this on track volume.
If I use the "Encoder" type I can see the message is received but the track volume doesn't change.
It looks like the "Control" message generator type is absolute value so track volume will jump to whatever value is sent. To try and get relative values to work I've tried sending combinations of -1/+1, 0/1, 0.4/0.6 and 63/65. Any value between 0 and 1 will respond by jumping the fader to that value and none of the others change the fader.

Thanks
Matt.
kram0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:10 AM   #9439
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Actually, not the firmware, but the driver software.

As to the decision not to support the older protocols like the original Faderport - from the HUI wiki:

"In 2003, the Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol was introduced, combining together functionality from Mackie Control, Logic Control and HUI into a single protocol."

I totally get backwards compatibility, but pre 2003 in the age of computers ?
Old 06-06-2020, 03:14 AM   #9440
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram0 View Post
Is it possible to accept relative values from endless encoders via OSC?

I'm testing this on track volume.
If I use the "Encoder" type I can see the message is received but the track volume doesn't change.
It looks like the "Control" message generator type is absolute value so track volume will jump to whatever value is sent. To try and get relative values to work I've tried sending combinations of -1/+1, 0/1, 0.4/0.6 and 63/65. Any value between 0 and 1 will respond by jumping the fader to that value and none of the others change the fader.

Thanks
Matt.
Right now CSI only supports absolute in OSC, but relative is on the feature list