Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #8201
yardc28
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
The question is which .zon file syntax do you like better, Solution 1 or Solution 2.

Which do you prefer and why ?
Gotcha, ok. I agree that solution 2 would be the way to go. It seems more logical from an end user perspective

And it terms of SysEx vs Note On/Off, you're right the current way makes no difference for the buttons. However I haven't had any luck getting it to work with the LEDs under the knobs, but SysEx commands set them no problem. The knobs are only configurable to send CC commands whereas the buttons I have setup as notes.

So this works:
Code:
90 29 3C  //Note on, user template 0,  note 29 (button), LED to green
But this doesn't:
Code:
B0 31 3C //CC, user template 0, controller 31 (knob), LED to green
I sniffed the data coming out of it when requesting a full PULL to its software - I can see the bytes it's writing that correlate to the knob's LED status but it's not sending MIDI data, it's just sending contents of memory.

EDIT: Honestly for my purposes it's probably easiest to just edit the LEDs from the built in editor on a per-template basis. It's not like those really need to change on-the-fly

Last edited by yardc28; 04-11-2020 at 02:57 PM.
yardc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #8202
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

Added SoftTakeover7BitTrackVolume and SoftTakeover14BitTrackVolume.

Experimental right now.

Usage:

Code:
Zone "Channel|"
        Fader| SoftTakeover14BitTrackVolume
        Rotary| SoftTakeover7BitTrackVolume
ZoneEnd
Tested SoftTakeover7BitTrackVolume here with Console 1, but have nothing with which to test SoftTakeover14BitTrackVolume.

If someone has a 14 bit non-motarized fader surface, could you please check this out and report back.

Note these only work with continuous value controls, NOT encoders.

Encoders don't need soft takeover, since they are always relative.

Also included are:
EuCon optimizations
Possible fix for init Midi/OSC surfaces.
Don't remember if there is anything else in there
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #8203
yardc28

Quote:
New build is up.

Added SoftTakeover7BitTrackVolume and SoftTakeover14BitTrackVolume.
Works great, awesome job man.

As a side note, is there a way to get continuous value widgets to control Action IDs? For example, if I want to control the metronome volume from the same rotary no matter what zone I'm in I've set it to control Reaper "999" but this doesn't seem to be working. Debugging, it seems the rotary just continuously spits out "val=63". Tested it on Reaper set fader volume's Action ID and any movement just sets the fader to mid-way.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #8204
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardc28 View Post
\I want to control the metronome volume from the same rotary no matter what zone I'm in I've set it to control Reaper "999" but this doesn't seem to be working.\
I am both a Reaper and CSI newbie, so I am most likely wrong, but I have a feeling that what you are asking is probably not possible as I haven't seen a way to pass values through to an Action. Although that action is a MIDI/CC only action, and you are using a Midi controller, CSI and Reaper's MIDI are two separated realms.

However, there is a solution, that I think is far better anyway, and that is create a proper Click Track Item in your timeline and the just map your Fader to control that particular Tracks Volume. This is straightforward, use the Menu > Insert > Click Source. It creates a new rendered audio item of your current click settings. You can then Route and process your click as needed.

Nice tip is if you right-click on the rendered click item, you can view the properties, and then if you click the "Take Media Source" properties button you can adjust the Click style and press apply and it re-renders it immediately.

Best of luck.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #8205
ramjet1962

Hi,

I have not posted much on the forum as I am feeling like I am way in over my head. I have an MCU set up to my Mac running OSX 10.11.4. The MCU is connected to my ESU 1808 Audio Interface.
When I have tried to make a simple track in Reaper (I'm moving from Cubase), I only seem to be able to control minimal things with the MCU.
I had more control in Cubase.
Is that what this topic is all about?
I am not sure what to do with the software that I have downloaded that was made by Geoff. i.e. where to put it?

I tried Using the 'Actions" menu to assign different functions on the MCU to things in the list, but a majority of what I tried to do didn't work. i.e. select next track using the Channel left arrow key. Midi monitor shows a signal being sent, but Reaper does nothing. Click one of the buttons at the top of the MCU and that shows up saying Channel 16 (something), but Midi Monitor always shows Channel 1

I am presuming,ing that what Geoff has done is the same work as what Klinke did (another thing I don't understand at this time), but for the Mac?

If this is in the wrong place, if a moderator could move it that would be great.
Other than that, any help would be appreciated.

I see the MCU as a handy tool, but with what I keep running into, I am wondering whether, as other people on here have said, I just have an expensive toy?

Am I trying to understand too much?
ramjet1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #8206
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet1962 View Post
Start here:

https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...i/Installation

MCU works VERY well out of the box with CSI. If you need help setting it up, we'll get you there in no time.

But first things first, start with the installation instructions and get it installed. After that, if you need help, post back here with additional questions/details.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #8207
tdc

Quote:
So, until you Focus a new FX, FocusedFX means the last Focused FX, even though it has disappeared.
One of those frustrating challenges I suspect. Interestingly on my controller, when I close the Focused FX Window, all the parameters on the controller zero out, looking for all intents and purposes like CSI has detected something has changed.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #8208
Funkybot

Quote:
New build is up.

EuCon optimizations
Hi Geoff, EuCon's not working here.

CSI is getting input from the surface, but not actually interacting with Reaper. No track names, faders not moving, no pans, etc. But again, the CSI Input Monitoring is showing a connection to the surface.

Ran the "Restart All Eucon Applications" action in EuControl and nothing. Removed Eucon and readded it in Reaper's Control/OSC/Web section, that didn't do it. Removed Eucon and CSI entirely and readded CSI first, then Eucon, no change.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #8209
tdc

Quote:
I see the MCU as a handy tool, but with what I keep running into, I am wondering whether, as other people on here have said, I just have an expensive toy?
As a musician or professional audio person, you should never be afraid of expensive toys ;-)

As Funkybot says, the MCU is well configured for immediate use with CSI, but the fun will be finding how you can modify the operation to suit your needs, as opposed to what the developers preferred.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #8210
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Oooo. I will pop into the studio and boot it up to check here too.

EuCon: Confirmed, I have the same behaviour as Funkybot on the S3 and Transport. Interestingly though, all my EuControl Soft-Key Mappings still work, and EuControl.app can see all the available Reaper Actions as usual.

MIDI/OSC New version has fixed the Refresh Surfaces issue. MIDI devices now stay online :-)

Last edited by tdc; 04-11-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:51 PM   #8211
Cragster

Quote:
Hi,

I have not posted much on the forum as I am feeling like I am way in over my head. I have an MCU set up to my Mac running OSX 10.11.4. The MCU is connected to my ESU 1808 Audio Interface.
When I have tried to make a simple track in Reaper (I'm moving from Cubase), I only seem to be able to control minimal things with the MCU.
I am not sure what to do with the software that I have downloaded that was made by Geoff. i.e. where to put it?

I tried Using the 'Actions" menu to assign different functions on the MCU to things in the list, but a majority of what I tried to do didn't work. i.e. select next track using the Channel left arrow key. Midi monitor shows a signal being sent, but Reaper does nothing. Click one of the buttons at the top of the MCU and that shows up saying Channel 16 (something), but Midi Monitor always shows Channel 1

I am presuming,ing that what Geoff has done is the same work as what Klinke did (another thing I don't understand at this time), but for the Mac?

If this is in the wrong place, if a moderator could move it that would be great.

Check out this video.it should help you get started
https://youtu.be/T5IC-fuI0E8
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #8212
yardc28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
However, there is a solution, that I think is far better anyway, and that is create a proper Click Track Item in your timeline and the just map your Fader to control that particular Tracks Volume. This is straightforward, use the Menu > Insert > Click Source. It creates a new rendered audio item of your current click settings. You can then Route and process your click as needed.
Cheers, I didn't know a separate click track was a possibility; it's amazing how much REAPER has to offer.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #8213
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardc28 View Post
it's amazing how much REAPER has to offer.
I am not the sort of person who is prone to conspiracy theories, but... The fact that Cockos can pack this entire program into a <20mb download is clearly evidence that the govt does indeed have access to a worm-hole portal. :-)
Old 04-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #8214
tdc

Hi Geoff,

I have started to redesign my setup using MapSelectedTrackFXToWidgets rather than the naughty FocusedFXNavigator.

Have got it working but have a question and a potential loose end.

Q: SetShowFXWindows is working as I imagine. How do I stop the Floating FX Window coming to the foreground? When its in the foreground it steals keystokes. I have played with all the prefs I could and couldnt stop this.

Q: In your setup that you showed yesterday you were using this: Preset GoZone "Home" I have added the same action, mapped to one of my widgets and it isn't pushing the Selected Track's FX off the stack and returning to the Home Zone. Is this a misconception on my part?

Observation: If I have select a track with an FX that has a corresponding Zone file, it shows that Zone on the surface. But, now when I select another track that has no FX in any slot, the Surface still shows the previous viewed FX. This behaviour also happens if the 2nd selected track has an FX plugin that there is no Zone file for. Interestingly, If I deselect the 1st Track, then select the 2nd. The Controller is cleared and no longer controls the 1st Track.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #8215
tdc

Now that this version has the Refresh Surfaces working for MIDI I have made great strides in configuration - thanks Geoff!

Got the Selected Track FX now loading on the surface and Bypass and Wet working. The Toggle for Bypass is also working now, changing the colour of the LED to Red in bypass. Amazing!
Code:
Toggle+Press4   FXParam 24  "Bypass"  { 90 255 0 255 50 0 }
This leads me to wanting to colourise the knobs differently for each class of controller use to aid in the UX. Gains of an EQ band could be a darker green than the Freq etc. But then moving to a dynamics plugin, the colour theme could move to blue, with the shades reflecting the different functions.

How do I achieve this via the Zone files?

Update I have worked out a hack. I assigned each of my Rotary Encoders also have a Press Widget in the MST and setup to have the MFT RGB feedback processor. Then in the Zone file I have a dummy action, (Alt in this case), to have the same colour for both the On and Off state. Messy but works :-)
Code:
Press5          Alt { 255 50 0  255 50 0  } // Sets Encoder LED's to Red
Only issue is that when the FX Zone is pushed off the Zone-Stack and we go back to Home. The LED's stay red, so I will need to explicitly set the LED's in the Home Zone too. (Is there a better way of doing this, as using the Alt Action will bite me down the line I am sure).

Last edited by tdc; 04-11-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:02 AM   #8216
spkr4thdd

Quote:
One of those frustrating challenges I suspect. Interestingly on my controller, when I close the Focused FX Window, all the parameters on the controller zero out, looking for all intents and purposes like CSI has detected something has changed.
I'm not even sure it's as simple as that...

I have a track with a VI in FXSlot1, ReaEQ in FXSlot2 and ReaComp in FXSlot3

When I'm in what I call 'Track' mode (have a track selected and my assignment buttons work for that selected track) I can bring up the available FX on that track by clicking on Plugin.

For those FX I have created an zone file for the names appear in my upper displays, so

'Blank' | ReaEQ | ReaComp | 'Blank' | etc...

If I click the rotary for one of those named FX, it switches to that zone file, setting up the parameters agains the rotaries/faders etc. [I]I'm assuming at this point it 'focusses' on that FX?{/I}

I have Mute1 set to Bypass the selected track's focussed FX and RotaryPush1 to toggle floating the selected track's focussed FX window.

For some reason, regardless of whether I select ReaEQ or ReaComp from the list Mute1/RotaryPush1 always bypass or toggle float ReaEQ and not what I thought was the 'focussed' FX?

So is this linked to the same issue? Or is there something about the order of FX? Or am I looking at a likely zone error on my part?

ReaEQ zon
Code:
Zone "VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)" "ReaEQ" 
	SelectedTrackNavigator
 	Mute1			Reaper	"_S&M_FXBYPSEL"	//Toggle selected FX bypass for selected tracks
	DisplayUpper1		FXParamNameDisplay "0" "Freq 1"
	DisplayLower1		FXParamValueDisplay "0"
	Rotary1 		FXParam 0 "Freq 1"
	RotaryPush1		Reaper	"_S&M_TOGLFLOATFXEL" // Toggles float FX window for selected FX
	Fader1 			FXParam 1 "Gain 1"
	Shift+Rotary1 		FXParam 2 "Q 1"
ReaComp zon
Code:
Zone "VST: ReaComp (Cockos)" "ReaComp"
	SelectedTrackNavigator
 	Mute1			Reaper	"_S&M_FXBYPSEL"	//Toggle selected FX bypass for selected tracks
	Solo1			FXParam	"16"	"AutoRelease"
	DisplayUpper1		FXParamNameDisplay "0" "Thresh"
	DisplayLower1		FXParamValueDisplay "0"
	Rotary1 		FXParam "0"	"Threshold"
	RotaryPush1		Reaper	"_S&M_TOGLFLOATFXEL" // Toggles float FX window for selected FX
Also, is there any way I can change the DisplayLower to show the value being controlled by the Fader, Shift+Rotary, etc. as I use them? I can't seem to change it from the default set initially in my zon file?
Old 04-12-2020, 03:00 AM   #8217
tdc

Hi spkr4thdd,

On first glance it does sound related. I wonder what Geoff thinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr4thdd View Post
Also, is there any way I can change the DisplayLower to show the value being controlled by the Fader, Shift+Rotary, etc. as I use them? I can't seem to change it from the default set initially in my zon file?
Try adding these to your ZON to get your two displays showing the currently changing Parameter Name and Value.

Code:
DisplayUpper1 FocusedFXParamNameDisplay
DisplayLower1 FocusedFXParamValueDisplay
Old 04-12-2020, 03:44 AM   #8218
tdc

Query or Suggestion:

Hi Geoff, when I move from one Zone to another using GoZone, is there a way to add an argument to the action that clears out all previous widget to action mappings, as opposed to just overlaying the new Zone?

Something like
Code:
SomeButton GoZone "HeadphoneMix" 1
Where the "1" denotes an opaque overlay, and a "0" or nothing does as it currently does?

I am currently having to add lots of NoActions in to achieve this Modal design.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:56 AM   #8219
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi,

Note the installation instruction state you need OSX 10.12 or newer, that is the first step.

After that, read the installation instructions that @Funkybot mentioned, get back to us if you have trouble, and very soon you'll be getting WAY more out of your setup
Old 04-12-2020, 03:58 AM   #8220
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
There you go, elusive little creature isn't it ?

Seems like sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, we haven't cracked the code yet
Old 04-12-2020, 04:01 AM   #8221
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post

CSI is getting input from the surface, but not actually interacting with Reaper. No track names, faders not moving, no pans, etc. But again, the CSI Input Monitoring is showing a connection to the surface.

Ran the "Restart All Eucon Applications" action in EuControl and nothing. Removed Eucon and readded it in Reaper's Control/OSC/Web section, that didn't do it. Removed Eucon and CSI entirely and readded CSI first, then Eucon, no change.
Aw geez, clearly I'm losin' it

You also need the new EuCon dylib/dll, which I just now uploaded to the stash for your convenience
Old 04-12-2020, 04:02 AM   #8222
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Oooo. I will pop into the studio and boot it up to check here too.

EuCon: Confirmed, I have the same behaviour as Funkybot on the S3 and Transport. Interestingly though, all my EuControl Soft-Key Mappings still work, and EuControl.app can see all the available Reaper Actions as usual.

MIDI/OSC New version has fixed the Refresh Surfaces issue. MIDI devices now stay online :-)
See my post above to @Funkybot, man, I gotta' slow down

Great to hear the refresh is now working.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:10 AM   #8223
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Geoff,

I have started to redesign my setup using MapSelectedTrackFXToWidgets rather than the naughty FocusedFXNavigator.

Have got it working but have a question and a potential loose end.

Q: SetShowFXWindows is working as I imagine. How do I stop the Floating FX Window coming to the foreground? When its in the foreground it steals keystokes. I have played with all the prefs I could and couldnt stop this.
Careful young fella, you are getting dangerously close to FocusedFXNavigator territory

Seriously, i do think they may be (semi) related.

From what I can gather the state of the window - Active, maybe frontmost etc. - does seem to affect the Focus issue.

Quote:
Q: In your setup that you showed yesterday you were using this: Preset GoZone "Home" I have added the same action, mapped to one of my widgets and it isn't pushing the Selected Track's FX off the stack and returning to the Home Zone. Is this a misconception on my part?

Observation: If I have select a track with an FX that has a corresponding Zone file, it shows that Zone on the surface. But, now when I select another track that has no FX in any slot, the Surface still shows the previous viewed FX. This behaviour also happens if the 2nd selected track has an FX plugin that there is no Zone file for. Interestingly, If I deselect the 1st Track, then select the 2nd. The Controller is cleared and no longer controls the 1st Track.
Sounds like they are related and thanks for the bug report, I just got that behaviour here, wonder how that got in there ?
Old 04-12-2020, 04:17 AM   #8224
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Now that this version has the Refresh Surfaces working for MIDI I have made great strides in configuration - thanks Geoff!

Got the Selected Track FX now loading on the surface and Bypass and Wet working. The Toggle for Bypass is also working now, changing the colour of the LED to Red in bypass. Amazing!
Code:
Toggle+Press4   FXParam 24  "Bypass"  { 90 255 0 255 50 0 }
This leads me to wanting to colourise the knobs differently for each class of controller use to aid in the UX. Gains of an EQ band could be a darker green than the Freq etc. But then moving to a dynamics plugin, the colour theme could move to blue, with the shades reflecting the different functions.
Yup I'm definitely up for stealin' licks from the S6

Quote:
How do I achieve this via the Zone files?

Update I have worked out a hack. I assigned each of my Rotary Encoders also have a Press Widget in the MST and setup to have the MFT RGB feedback processor. Then in the Zone file I have a dummy action, (Alt in this case), to have the same colour for both the On and Off state. Messy but works :-)
Code:
Press5          Alt { 255 50 0  255 50 0  } // Sets Encoder LED's to Red
Only issue is that when the FX Zone is pushed off the Zone-Stack and we go back to Home. The LED's stay red, so I will need to explicitly set the LED's in the Home Zone too. (Is there a better way of doing this, as using the Alt Action will bite me down the line I am sure).
Have to ponder on this a bit...

Meanwhile @MixMonkey will likely swoop in and do it one line
Old 04-12-2020, 04:28 AM   #8225
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Query or Suggestion:

Hi Geoff, when I move from one Zone to another using GoZone, is there a way to add an argument to the action that clears out all previous widget to action mappings, as opposed to just overlaying the new Zone?

Something like
Code:
SomeButton GoZone "HeadphoneMix" 1
Where the "1" denotes an opaque overlay, and a "0" or nothing does as it currently does?

I am currently having to add lots of NoActions in to achieve this Modal design.
If you want a good laugh, start around page 75 where we discuss (at great length) what to do about overlays/stacking, etc.

Turns out it's a real can of worms.

I think there is bug in here though, as you pointed out earlier.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:23 AM   #8226
tdc

Quote:
Just notating in the thread that I have managed to solve this niggling issue by stacking a Reaper action after both the MapSelectedTracksFXToWidgets and SetShowFXWindows.

Code:
OnTrackSelection 	MapSelectedTrackFXToWidgets
OnTrackSelection	Reaper "_S&M_WNMAIN"  // Set Focus to Main Window.
Code:
Press1 SetShowFXWindows { 255 50 0  255 50 0  } 
Press1 Reaper "_S&M_WNMAIN"  // Set Focus to Main Window.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:27 AM   #8227
tdc

Quote:
Yup I'm definitely up for stealin' licks from the S6
Ha! :-)
Old 04-12-2020, 05:29 AM   #8228
tdc

Quote:
If you want a good laugh, start around page 75 where we discuss (at great length) what to do about overlays/stacking, etc.
I have had the forum on my device ready to read from the beginning (again) when I get time, but all spare hours have been in Visual Studio Code and Reaper :-) I shall make it a higher priority.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:24 AM   #8229
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just notating in the thread that I have managed to solve this niggling issue by stacking a Reaper action after both the MapSelectedTracksFXToWidgets and SetShowFXWindows.

Code:
OnTrackSelection 	MapSelectedTrackFXToWidgets
OnTrackSelection	Reaper "_S&M_WNMAIN"  // Set Focus to Main Window.
Code:
Press1 SetShowFXWindows { 255 50 0  255 50 0  } 
Press1 Reaper "_S&M_WNMAIN"  // Set Focus to Main Window.
Nice, you're taking a run at @MixMonkey in the slick/clever department
Old 04-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #8230
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I have had the forum on my device ready to read from the beginning (again) when I get time, but all spare hours have been in Visual Studio Code and Reaper :-) I shall make it a higher priority.
Wow, don't try to read the whole thing.

I tried, confused the hell out of me
Old 04-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #8231
rschlierbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlierbeck View Post
I have tried both Encoder and Encoder Plain. I do get LED feedback on both. Here is a video showing the odd behavior of Encoder.

https://youtu.be/gAKBIX4SYLw

What happens is I get a nice fine resolution when I turn the encoder clockwise and a drastic jump when I turn it counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise.)

Thanks.
Hi Geoff, I think that I am having a problem with the Encoder widget. It seems to wor fine when turning encoders clockwise but falls over when turning them counter-clockwise. From my conversations with MixMonkey I suspect it might have to do with the BCR2000 sending a 7f. MixMonkey's surface sends a 41.

Is it possible that the Encoder type isn't set up for a message with 7f?

Thanks,

Jones
rschlierbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #8232
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlierbeck View Post
Hi Geoff, I think that I am having a problem with the Encoder widget. It seems to wor fine when turning encoders clockwise but falls over when turning them counter-clockwise. From my conversations with MixMonkey I suspect it might have to do with the BCR2000 sending a 7f. MixMonkey's surface sends a 41.

Is it possible that the Encoder type isn't set up for a message with 7f?

Thanks,

Jones
Yeah, I've been following along, hoping you and Mix could solve this within the BCR2000.

If that is not the case I will make a special BCR2000 Widget.

Just trying to keep the specialty encoder Widget count down to a dull roar if possible, that 's all
Old 04-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #8233
rschlierbeck

Quote:
Yeah, I've been following along, hoping you and Mix could solve this within the BCR2000.

If that is not the case I will make a special BCR2000 Widget.

Just trying to keep the specialty encoder Widget count down to a dull roar if possible, that 's all
Sorry to be the outlier here. I was truly hoping it was just a configuration issue on my end. I did try to change the output values for the encoders on the BCR2000 but it seems they are locked at 1 and 7F.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks again.
rschlierbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:13 AM   #8234
tdc

Quote:
Nice, you're taking a run at @MixMonkey in the slick/clever department
Very generous of you - but I think I have a few more thousand forehead slapping moments to go first :-)
Old 04-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #8235
MixMonkey

Quote:
I'm getting the BCR2000 out of the garage to have another look, but I think it's possible you may need to add two more encoder types:

At the moment we have (in Reaper parlance):

i) Absolute (0 - 127)
ii) Relative 3 (65=-1, 1=+1)

Maybe need to add:

iii) Relative 1 (127=-1, 1=+1) - this is the BCR2000 mode.
iv) Relative 2 (63=-1, 65=+1)

Then CSI would support the same types that Reaper does.

Interestingly, @rschlierbeck found that EncoderPlain behaved as expected with the BCR2000, just that it was too coarse to be of use. Any reason why EncoderPlain should work with (127, 1) messages, but not Encoder?
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #8236
Funkybot

Quote:
Aw geez, clearly I'm losin' it

You also need the new EuCon dylib/dll, which I just now uploaded to the stash for your convenience
Checked it out with the latest Eucon build:

1. Eucon is working again.

2. All faders just reset after I closed Reaper - so that's nice! Will keep an eye on this to see if completely resolved.

3. But there was a slight regression: if I open a new Reaper Eucon works fine with the first project. But if I then open another project in Reaper, Eucon does not update to reflect the newest project. The faders/scribble strips will blank out, and not come back up for the new project. I have to run "Restart All Eucon Applications" to get it to pick back up.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #8237
tdc

Few fun things:

Found a better way to arbitrarily colour encoders now , I call it the NoGoZone method.(Colour format is for the MFT, but you could change the to your controllers method I suspect, or just leave the colour out and use this to create a blocking widget.

Code:
Press2 GoZone "NoGoZone" { 0 0 0 0 0 0 }  // NoGoZone Black
By not specifying a zone to go to with a GoZone Action, we can add a colour and also ensure it won't action anything. This is also good for creating Null widgets to either reset or cover prior assignments when switching zones or resolving the current issues with the naughty navigators.

- - - -

Here is a hack to take you from either a SelectedTrackNavigator or FocusedFXNavigator, and ensure the overlain temporary zone is pushed off the stack to gracefully return to Home. This is a temporary UX fix for Reaper's inconsistent reporting to CSI that a track has been left.

Key to this solution is to have all encoders / switches do something in each zone. Messy, and potentially laborious to add to your existing setup but straightforward when starting from scratch. In this example, I have a Rotary Encoder / Press Switch 13 assigned to the HPF Frequency of ReaEQ. When I select a track the MFTwister the FX window is floated and the Encoder turns Yellow and displays the parameter value of the HPF.

I am using the NoGoZone trick here to set the colour of the LED, whilst the standard widget to action assignment is mapping the HPF Param.
Code:
Press13         GoZone "NoGoZone" { 242 255 0 242 255 0 }  // Yellow
Rotary13        FXParam "0" 	"HPF Freq" // HPF Frequency
If I was to now select another track that had no FX instantiated, or perhaps another zone that had Encoder 13 not being used, this encoder's parameter and colour would still be displayed due to the naughty navigator bug. So, we add the following to our Home Zone, and other FX Zones. This will zero out the encoder parameter value, and also reset the colour to our chosen black on the home zone.

Code:
Rotary13 FXParam “999” // Zero Out Encoder Display
Press13	 GoZone "NoGoZone" { 0 0 0 0 0 0 } // NoGoZone Black
Lastly, on each FX Modal Zone we can have a button to return us to the Home Zone without needing to manually unselect or change tracks.

Code:
Press2  Reaper "_S&M_WNCLS5" // Hide All Floating FX for Selected Track
Press2. Reaper "40297"   // Unselect All Tracks  
Press2  GoZone "Home"
- - - -

I must caveat all this, as its a temporary hack that may cause issues, but it has been working all evening here and feels really clean when operating so I thought I would share.

[Edited to include "999" into FXParam.]
Old 04-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #8238
spkr4thdd

Quote:
Try adding these to your ZON to get your two displays showing the currently changing Parameter Name and Value.

Code:
DisplayUpper1 FocusedFXParamNameDisplay
DisplayLower1 FocusedFXParamValueDisplay
Hey thanks!

That almost works... it certainly changes the upper and lower displays on channel 1 to show the focussed FX param. From any channel.

But...

For ReaEQ say, I currently 5 frequencies set out across faders/rotaries/displays 1-5 with the rotary controlling the frequency, the fader the gain and shift+rotary the Q.

I currently see the frequency in lower 1-5 with labels in upper 1-5. When I touch the fader I'd like the lower to show the gain... on the display of the channel selected.

With your tip, I'm almost there so I'll play around a little to see if I can find a fix.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #8239
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr4thdd View Post
Hey thanks!

That almost works... it certainly changes the upper and lower displays on channel 1 to show the focussed FX param. From any channel.

But...

For ReaEQ say, I currently 5 frequencies set out across faders/rotaries/displays 1-5 with the rotary controlling the frequency, the fader the gain and shift+rotary the Q.

I currently see the frequency in lower 1-5 with labels in upper 1-5. When I touch the fader I'd like the lower to show the gain... on the display of the channel selected.

With your tip, I'm almost there so I'll play around a little to see if I can find a fix.

Thanks again for the help.
How about something like:
Code:
TrackTouch+DisplayLower1    FXParamValueDisplay 1
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #8240
spkr4thdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
How about something like:
Code:
TrackTouch+DisplayLower1    FXParamValueDisplay 1
I tried that one first. It appears to do nothing in this context? Having said that, would I have to define within the zon TrackTouch for that to work?