Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-23-2020, 01:17 AM   #7641
airon
Human being with feelings

Faderport 16 update https://stash.reaper.fm/38565/CSI_Fa..._StudioOne.ZIP

v2020-03-23
Track and Send panning now handled via SHIFT+Fader,
pan width(2nd pan) via ALT+Fader for tracks only.

Small rotary encoder on top left is ununsed right now.

FX menu and auto assignment of fx are not done yet.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:25 AM   #7642
WaveTrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Hey WaveTrans and MixMonkey,

thanks for dealing with this weirdo controller. I would also LOVE to see a proper track selection happening. Let me know if I can be of help testing anything related to it.

@WaveTrans: have you been successful untying the two first encoders via iMap?
Well, I found out that it is actually possible to assign some other encoder number to the Main rotary through iMap.

However, the newly assigned encoder did not behave as it was supposed to. The sent values somehow lack "direction".

But that´s not all, I´m afraid.

Further investigations revealed that the Main rotary apparently underlies the same principles as the channel switch system mixmonkey and I discussed recently.

If the MainRotary is assigned to, for instance, CC 78 and Push to note C(9), and you hit channel right, the code is automatically increased, so CC 79 is sent and push generates 79 and so forth until channel 8 is reached.

(There are other things not working either, but that sends pan is not working anymore (only send1 Pan is working but with all rotaries1-8) is apparently not due to the user def mode experiments )

Since this 8 channel scheme seems to overrule everything,
the term user defined does not really apply here

So don´t know yet what to do about it.

Obvious solution is to apply the conclusions from the Channel switch discussion we had, meaning don´t touch the whole left side of the surface especially the channel keys...which is not really feasible because you need the channel keys for switching through sends...

Maybe Geoff has an idea, some CSI based workaround...

If I were a hacker I would hack the Firmware of the Nano and get rid of all this fancy 8 channel *'+?ß

Code:
/Main Rotary on UserDef Note C9=78
Widget RotaryMainPush 
Press 90 78 7f
WidgetEnd

/Main Rotary on UserDef mode CC10=Pan(GM)
Widget RotaryMain 
Encoder b0 08 7f
FB_Encoder b0 08 7f
WidgetEnd
works only if iMap file is created and sent to connected surface

Last edited by WaveTrans; 03-23-2020 at 04:40 AM.
WaveTrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #7643
Funkybot

Hi WaveTrans, sorry that I havne't been following too closely and missed it, but from what I can quickly gather, it sounds like the Icon Nano does the 1 fader = 8 channels thing that other units do. The X-Touch One works similarly, and I don't have issues using it in CSI. I have two different .zon files with two different approaches:

1. Fader|1-8 with TrackNavigator. This works perfectly fine and how the unit wants to be setup: just as a regular MCU device. This is not my preferred approach.

2. Fader|1-1 with SelectedTrackNavigator. This CSI setup basically ignores the other faders entirely. I set the device to Fader1, then that fader always follows the SelectedTrack. To make that work, I'm using Reaper actions to select the next track with Channel Next/Previous buttons (instead of the MCU/CSI TrackBank), and the Bank Up/Down buttons are assigned to a custom action that just runs the Select Next Track action 8 times to jump up or down (to simulate banking).

If you think #2 might be closer to how you want to set the ICON up, you can see my X-Touch One .zon files by clicking the link below. Both .zon's are there, you want to look at the SelectedTrack folder.
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....5&d=1584462637
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #7644
WaveTrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Hi WaveTrans, sorry that I havne't been following too closely and missed it, but from what I can quickly gather, it sounds like the Icon Nano does the 1 fader = 8 channels thing that other units do. The X-Touch One works similarly, and I don't have issues using it in CSI. I have two different .zon files with two different approaches:

1. Fader|1-8 with TrackNavigator. This works perfectly fine and how the unit wants to be setup: just as a regular MCU device. This is not my preferred approach.

2. Fader|1-1 with SelectedTrackNavigator. This CSI setup basically ignores the other faders entirely. I set the device to Fader1, then that fader always follows the SelectedTrack. To make that work, I'm using Reaper actions to select the next track with Channel Next/Previous buttons (instead of the MCU/CSI TrackBank), and the Bank Up/Down buttons are assigned to a custom action that just runs the Select Next Track action 8 times to jump up or down (to simulate banking).

If you think #2 might be closer to how you want to set the ICON up, you can see my X-Touch One .zon files by clicking the link below. Both .zon's are there, you want to look at the SelectedTrack folder.
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....5&d=1584462637
Thanks for pointing things out for me

As you may have guessed from my post I was rather shaken by the Nano last night

I will have a closer look at my navigators, seem to be a bit mixed up now.

My main concern is that every time I open sends and switch to send, say 3, and forget to Channel back to send1 before leaving the send menu, the nano thinks it is on track 3 or so and refuses to do anything till I get it back on track1/fader1 by blindly hitting the channelLeft key until surface function is regained.

Did you observe that behaviour with the X-touch One as well?

Thanks again! I´ll report back after checking if my .zon files are causing this. (Send pan is not working either for sends beyond send 1). Did work previously.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #7645
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTrans View Post
Thanks for pointing things out for me

As you may have guessed from my post I was rather shaken by the Nano last night

I will have a closer look at my navigators, seem to be a bit mixed up now.

My main concern is that every time I open sends and switch to send, say 3, and forget to Channel back to send1 before leaving the send menu, the nano thinks it is on track 3 or so and refuses to do anything till I get it back on track1/fader1 by blindly hitting the channelLeft key until surface function is regained.

Did you observe that behaviour with the X-touch One as well?

Thanks again! I´ll report back after checking if my .zon files are causing this. (Send pan is not working either for sends beyond send 1). Did work previously.
hI'm not using the X-Touch for sends. It only has 1 encoder. So I'm using the encoder for Pan/Pan-Width, then a separate surface for sends on the selected track. If you have multiple encoders you want mapped to multiple sends, try SelectedTrackNavigator there too and see if that helps. Just an idea.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:31 AM   #7646
kram0

Default Console window not appearing

New user here and the project looks great.
I haven't been able to get the console window to appear after adding the midi devices.
I have tried with a nanoKontrol2 and Arturia BeatStep. Both devices send midi correctly and are disabled within Reaper's midi devices.
I've searched the forums but haven't found the answer.
Any suggestions??
kram0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:55 AM   #7647
WaveTrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram0 View Post
New user here and the project looks great.
I haven't been able to get the console window to appear after adding the midi devices.
I have tried with a nanoKontrol2 and Arturia BeatStep. Both devices send midi correctly and are disabled within Reaper's midi devices.
I've searched the forums but haven't found the answer.
Any suggestions??
If you mean by "console window" the "ReaScript console output" window,
this is opened by the Reaper action "_CSIEditMode".

Assign it to a Key or a button for convenience
Old 03-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #7648
WaveTrans

Quote:
hI'm not using the X-Touch for sends. It only has 1 encoder. So I'm using the encoder for Pan/Pan-Width, then a separate surface for sends on the selected track. If you have multiple encoders you want mapped to multiple sends, try SelectedTrackNavigator there too and see if that helps. Just an idea.
Hi and thanks for your input Funkybot,

Coincidentally I own an Icon Nano X+ extender now

I set it up as an extender for the Nano in my IconNano page as second surface using the MCUXT.zon and .mst, removed the SendZone from the Nano.zon, marked "Sync Zones Across Surface"s both surfaces and got sends control on the X+. (Apart from sendsPan)

However, now I´m stuck with FX control.
I adapdted an functional ReaCopm.zon to multiple Faders.
By the logic described above, I took the FXZOne out of the Nano.zon but this doesn´t work. I tried combinations of Navigators but to no avail.

Maybe you got some advice for me, please?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #7649
Funkybot

Quote:
Hi and thanks for your input Funkybot,

Coincidentally I own an Icon Nano X+ extender now

I set it up as an extender for the Nano in my IconNano page as second surface using the MCUXT.zon and .mst, removed the SendZone from the Nano.zon, marked "Sync Zones Across Surface"s both surfaces and got sends control on the X+. (Apart from sendsPan)

However, now I´m stuck with FX control.
I adapdted an functional ReaCopm.zon to multiple Faders.
By the logic described above, I took the FXZOne out of the Nano.zon but this doesn´t work. I tried combinations of Navigators but to no avail.

Maybe you got some advice for me, please?
First, sounds like you made some headway with the Nano so that's great news.

I'm not familiar at all with the Nano X+ Extender. I'm even having trouble finding anything on it when Googling. Not sure what it is, what it looks like, and what it does.

On to the FX...how do you want the FX to work? I like FocusedFXNavigator myself, and stick to that. Particularly with a one channel surface where the FXMenu option doesn't work so great. But remember to check the box called "AutoMapFocusedFX" in CSI Preferences for that device if you're going to use that mode.

If you're still stick, please describe how you want the FX to become activated, and maybe post your suface.zon and fx.zon files I'm sure we can help.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #7650
WaveTrans

Quote:
First, sounds like you made some headway with the Nano so that's great news.
Thanks to all the help I got, the Nano works fine now (accepting that some limitations are hardwired).
But that would have been too easy - I had to have this multi fader controller.

Quote:
I'm not familiar at all with the Nano X+ Extender. I'm even having trouble finding anything on it when Googling. Not sure what it is, what it looks like, and what it does.
Here´s the manual-link for the Icon platform X+
https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.icon...al-English.pdf
It´s a typical extender, 8 channels with fader/rotary/arm,mute,solo,select buttons each.

Quote:
On to the FX...how do you want the FX to work? I like FocusedFXNavigator myself, and stick to that. Particularly with a one channel surface where the FXMenu option doesn't work so great. But remember to check the box called "AutoMapFocusedFX" in CSI Preferences for that device if you're going to use that mode.

If you're still stick, please describe how you want the FX to become activated, and maybe post your suface.zon and fx.zon files I'm sure we can help.

The Nano is the main controller and the X+ as xtender.
Buttons are from the Nano, Sends and FX control on the X+

Sends work as they should.
(except for SendPan where all rotaries move send 1 pan)

Yes, coming from the single channel Nano I naturally tried the FocusedFXNavigator, OnFXFocus MapFocusedFXToWidgets and ToggleMapFocusedFX variant.
The missing ingredient seems to be "AutoMapFocusedFX" in the preferences. For both surfaces!
Seems to work now. Will test and report.

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #7651
Mike@Ossarium

Default Encoder problem

Hi all,

i am prety new to CSI and try to set up everything to work with my Behringer X-Touch.

I started with using the MCU and then move forward to make my own mst and zon files.

The first thing i want to fix is makeng the encoders work better than with the standard MCU setup.
My encoders give the following values:
B0 10 01 for clockwise rotation and B0 10 41 for counterclockwise rotation.

When i use
Widget Rotary1
Encoder b0 10 7f
FB_Encoder b0 10 7f
WidgetEnd

Question 1: What is the definition of the third parameter "7f"?

I need to rotate the encoder to much to get any changes.

Then i tried to use the EncoderPlain:
Widget Rotary1
EncoderPlain b0 00 7f
FB_Fader7Bit b0 00 00
WidgetEnd

This give much better results put is too coarse (increments by 3%).
Question 2: Is there a way to configure for finer increments?

I also oberserve that with that configuration the TrackPan won't work anymore. The single LED stripe stays at the leftmost position and don't move.

Question 3: Is this a bug?

I know the Wiki Page from Malcolm Groves, but it don't help and it very hard to go throught all of the pages in this thread.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

P.S: Iam using Reaper v6.05 with default theme.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #7652
timothys_monster

Quote:
Thanks to all the help I got, the Nano works fine now (accepting that some limitations are hardwired).
But that would have been too easy - I had to have this multi fader controller.
Wow, you went for another Nano product! glad it seems to work a bit better now.

Would you mind sharing your latest mst and zon files for the Nano?

Any chance on getting the 8 rotaries work like send levels?
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #7653
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Ossarium View Post
Question 1: What is the definition of the third parameter "7f"?
7f is normally the max value. I wouldn't mess with it or worry about it. At least, when I have in the past it never had the desired effect so just leave it as 7f.

Quote:
This give much better results put is too coarse (increments by 3%).
Question 2: Is there a way to configure for finer increments?
Right now, I think the only options are to use Encoder (too fine for my taste) or EncoderPlain (I like the weighting personally). Geoff is working on adding encoder acceleration so there's probably some opportunity at that time for fine tuning.

Quote:
I also oberserve that with that configuration the TrackPan won't work anymore. The single LED stripe stays at the leftmost position and don't move.

Question 3: Is this a bug?
Sounds like an issue in the .zon file honestly. If you post the contents, we can help you out.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #7654
Mike@Ossarium

Quote:
7f is normally the max value. I wouldn't mess with it or worry about it. At least, when I have in the past it never had the desired effect so just leave it as 7f.

Right now, I think the only options are to use Encoder (too fine for my taste) or EncoderPlain (I like the weighting personally). Geoff is working on adding encoder acceleration so there's probably some opportunity at that time for fine tuning.

Sounds like an issue in the .zon file honestly. If you post the contents, we can help you out.

Thanks for the comments.
For the zon file i use the a copy of the original MCU.zon

Zone Home
OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
IncludedZones
"Buttons|"
"Channel|1-8"
"MasterChannel|"
IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

Zone "Buttons|"
Send ToggleMapSelectedTrackSends
Track ToggleMapSelectedTrackFXMenu
Pan ToggleMapSelectedTrackFX
ChannelLeft TrackBank "-1"
ChannelRight TrackBank "1"
BankLeft TrackBank "-8"
BankRight TrackBank "8"
Rewind Rewind
FastForward FastForward
Stop Stop
Play Play
Record Record
F1 NextPage

smpteBeats CycleTimeDisplayModes
TimeDisplay TimeDisplay

Read TrackAutoMode "1"
Write TrackAutoMode "3"
Trim TrackAutoMode "0"
Touch TrackAutoMode "2"
Latch TrackAutoMode "4"
Group Reaper "42023"

Shift+Read GlobalAutoMode "1"
Shift+Write GlobalAutoMode "3"
Shift+Trim GlobalAutoMode "0"
Shift+Touch GlobalAutoMode "2"
Shift+Latch GlobalAutoMode "4"
Shift+Group Reaper "42024"

Save Reaper "40026"
Shift+Save Reaper "40022"

Undo Reaper "40029"
Shift+Undo Reaper "40030"

Shift Shift
Option Option
Control Control
Alt Alt

Marker Reaper "40172"
Shift+Marker Reaper "40157"
Option+Marker Reaper "40174"

Nudge Reaper "40173"
Cycle CycleTimeline
Click Reaper "40364"
ZoneEnd

Zone "Channel|"
TrackNavigator
DisplayUpper| TrackNameDisplay
DisplayLower| TrackPanDisplay
TrackTouch+DisplayLower| TrackVolumeDisplay
RotaryPush| GoZone PanWidth|
Rotary| TrackPan "0"
RecordArm| TrackRecordArm
Solo| TrackSolo
Mute| TrackMute
Select| TrackUniqueSelect
Shift+Select| TrackRangeSelect
Control+Select| TrackSelect
Shift+Control+Select| TogglePin
Option+Select| TrackFolderDive
Fader| TrackVolume
FaderTouch| TrackTouch
ZoneEnd

Zone "MasterChannel|"
MasterTrackNavigator
MasterFader TrackVolume
zoneEnd

Zone "Pan|1-8"
TrackNavigator
Rotary| TrackPan "0"
RotaryPush| GoZone PanWidth|
ZoneEnd

Zone "PanWidth|1-8"
TrackNavigator
Rotary| TrackPanWidth "1"
RotaryPush| GoZone Pan|
ZoneEnd

Zone "Send|1-8"
SelectedTrackNavigator
DisplayUpper| TrackSendNameDisplay
TrackTouch+DisplayUpper| TrackSendVolumeDisplay
Mute| TrackSendMute
Fader| TrackSendVolume
TrackTouch+Fader| TrackSendVolume
FaderTouch| TrackTouch
ZoneEnd

Zone "FXMenu|1-4"
SelectedTrackNavigator
DisplayUpper| FXNameDisplay |
RotaryPush| GoFXSlot |
ZoneEnd
Old 03-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #7655
MixMonkey

Quote:

Then i tried to use the EncoderPlain:
Widget Rotary1
EncoderPlain b0 00 7f
FB_Fader7Bit b0 00 00
WidgetEnd
This should be:

Code:
Widget Rotary1
	EncoderPlain b0 10 7f
	FB_Encoder b0 10 7f
WidgetEnd
..assuming you're using the standard MCU .mst.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #7656
Mike@Ossarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
This should be:

Code:
Widget Rotary1
	EncoderPlain b0 10 7f
	FB_Encoder b0 10 7f
WidgetEnd
..assuming you're using the standard MCU .mst.
Yupp. That solves it. Thank you very much.

On Malcoms Wiki the example was a litte bit missleading, but now everything makes sense.. :-)
Old 03-26-2020, 03:13 AM   #7657
WaveTrans

Quote:
Wow, you went for another Nano product! glad it seems to work a bit better now.
Madness, I know, but it was a present
So I don´t need to take full responsibility

And I still have some time to send it back...

However, from what I learned so far there seems to be no controller surface which does not have at least some limitations; the nature of such limitations depending on the personal workflow and preferences in general. (Plus, in my case, that I certainly lack some if not most of the basics).

If you are used to/accept the limitations or find a way to work around them, the Icon products are quite reasonable controllers for the money.

In case of the Nano, it´s the hardwired channel keys; there really should be a way to switch to pure single channel mode, so the automatic 8-channel simulation may be turned off, but, if there is one, I haven´t found it yet.
(I guess the developers see this behaviour as a feature, not a bug )

Taking all I learned so far, I found that channel keys are dismissible for my workflow anyway; with a single channel surface, I find it impossible to replace keyboard and mouse and in combination with keyboard and mouse you don´t really need channel keys.

Quote:
Would you mind sharing your latest mst and zon files for the Nano?
Yes, I will, and I was about to upload them,
when I found some discrepancies I am currently resolving.
Also, I have to improve the commenting a bit.
But they should be ready for upload soon.

Quote:
Any chance on getting the 8 rotaries work like send levels?
To my utter astonishment, this was the first thing i got to work.
I have to do some more testing, but this won´t take long.

Last edited by WaveTrans; 03-26-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #7658
Mike@Ossarium

Default Drop| GoZone MyTestZone

Hi again,
can anybody explain what

[Code]
Drop| GoZone MyTestZone
[\Code]

does?

didn't find anything in the Wiki.
How do i post code snippets in the correct way :-(

Thanks
Old 03-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #7659
MixMonkey

Quote:
Hi again,
can anybody explain what

[Code]
Drop| GoZone MyTestZone
[\Code]

does?

didn't find anything in the Wiki.
How do i post code snippets in the correct way :-(

Thanks
Lose the vertical bar, then the button 'Drop' will activate Zone 'MyTestZone'.

Code:
Drop GoZone MyTestZone
Code snippets use / not \ to close
Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #7660
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

Encoders (not EncoderPlain and EncoderPlainReverse) now have built in acceleration.

This is experimental, and likely needs adjustment.

What should happen is:

Turn slowly for fine adjustment.

Turn quickly for coarse adjustment.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #7661
Mike@Ossarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
New build is up.

Encoders (not EncoderPlain and EncoderPlainReverse) now have built in acceleration.

What should happen is:

Cool. I tried it. Works ok with following config:

Code:
Widget Rotary1
	Encoder b0 10 7f
	FB_Encoder b0 10 7f
WidgetEnd
My values go from "b0 10 01" to "b0 10 06". Is there a way to configure that?

BR, Mike
Old 03-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #7662
timothys_monster

Quote:
New build is up.

What should happen is:

This is a huge one!!! One of the things a liked more in DrivenByMoss than CSI. Will try as soon as I have some spare time. (I know, everyone should have in these strange times but it seems like I got even more work now.)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #7663
timothys_monster

Quote:
Yes, I will, and I was about to upload them,
when I found some discrepancies I am currently resolving.
Also, I have to improve the commenting a bit.
But they should be ready for upload soon.

To my utter astonishment, this was the first thing i got to work.
I have to do some more testing, but this won´t take long.
This sounds amazing!!! Well, I hope the extender will help your workflow now

Thanks in advance for sharing and I will be so happy to try the send pots (maybe even with the newly supported encoder acceleration).
Old 03-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #7664
MixMonkey

Quote:
New build is up.

What should happen is:

Not seeing a massive difference here. Could you make it more extreme?

EDIT: I was trying it on plugin parameters- not seeing a difference there, but definitely diiferent on Pan

Last edited by MixMonkey; 03-26-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #7665
Funkybot

Quote:
New build is up.

What should happen is:

Gave it a quick test using the X-Touch One's encoder...

1. If Pan knob is centered: fine movements do nothing to very little. It stays centered. Like there's a magnet towards center pan (which is good) but one that is not overcome by the fine movements (which is not good).

2. If a pan knob is not centered, fine movements feel good.

3. Really fast movements are good. Maybe too fast. Can feel jumpy.

4. There's not enough "medium" speed movement. I'm either turning slowly for fine adjustments, or making quick jumps, but can't find a nice middle ground.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #7666
MixMonkey

Quote:
Gave it a quick test using the X-Touch One's encoder...

1. If Pan knob is centered: fine movements do nothing to very little. It stays centered. Like there's a magnet towards center pan (which is good) but one that is not overcome by the fine movements (which is not good).

2. If a pan knob is not centered, fine movements feel good.

3. Really fast movements are good. Maybe too fast. Can feel jumpy.

4. There's not enough "medium" speed movement. I'm either turning slowly for fine adjustments, or making quick jumps, but can't find a nice middle ground.
Agree with all of this

One thing I've always wondered about, the rotaries on the Mackie actually send out different messages according to how fast you turn them, actually five different messages:
Code:
b0 10 01
b0 10 04
b0 10 08
b0 10 0c
b0 10 0f
Don't know if this has any impact on the matter in hand.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #7667
Geoff Waddington

@MixMonkey, you are seeing either the built in MCU acceleration, or some kind of data thinning, would need more info to determine which.

Thanks for all the feedback folks !!

i'll continue to tweak this...

[edit] Didn't mention this, but I have no surfaces here with an encoder, so I could use some help with the following:
Could somebody (or more) very slowly turn their encoder 360 degrees and count how many messages it sends out ?
Thanks

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 03-26-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #7668
Funkybot

Each "tick" of the indented encoder of the X-Touch One sends out a message. I count only 24 slow "ticks" messages in one 360 degree revolution. Literally stuck a label on the encoder to make sure I was counting exactly 360 degrees and ran this twice. One, slow, 360 degree rotation is exactly 24 ticks on that device.

Code:
1: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
2: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
3: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
4: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
5: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
6: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
7: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
8: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
9: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
10: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
11: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
12: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
13: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
14: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
15: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
16: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
17: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
18: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
19: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
20: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
21: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
22: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
23: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
24: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
Will try to do the MFTwister soon.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #7669
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Each "tick" of the indented encoder of the X-Touch One sends out a message. I count only 24 slow "ticks" messages in one 360 degree revolution. Literally stuck a label on the encoder to make sure I was counting exactly 360 degrees and ran this twice. One, slow, 360 degree rotation is exactly 24 ticks on that device.

Will try to do the MFTwister soon.
Cool, thanks.

If you're a bear for punishment, turning medium and quickly too would be very helpful in getting this feature to feel right.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #7670
Funkybot

Quote:
Cool, thanks.

If you're a bear for punishment, turning medium and quickly too would be very helpful in getting this feature to feel right.
Medium turn (might be an extra message in there):

Code:
2: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
3: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
4: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
5: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
6: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
7: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
8: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
9: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
10: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
11: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
12: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
13: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
14: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
15: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
16: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
17: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
18: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
19: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
24: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
25: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 01
Fast Turn...
Code:
2: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
3: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
4: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
5: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
6: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
7: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
8: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
9: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
10: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
11: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
12: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
13: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
14: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
15: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
16: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
17: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
18: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
19: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
Really fast turn
Code:
2: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
3: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
4: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
5: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
6: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
7: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 06
8: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
9: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
10: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
11: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
12: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
13: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
14: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
15: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 08
16: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
17: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
18: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
19: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 04
20: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
21: MIDI IN [X-Touch One]: B0 10 02
Old 03-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #7671
MalcolmG

Quote:
On Malcoms Wiki the example was a litte bit missleading, but now everything makes sense.. :-)

Sorry about that. Which one were you looking at? Any suggestions on what what confusing?

Cheers
Malcolm
Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #7672
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

Another approach to acceleration.

Is it fine enough when you turn slowly ?

Is it sluggish when you turn fast ?
Old 03-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #7673
MixMonkey

Quote:
New build is up.

Another approach to acceleration.

Is it fine enough when you turn slowly ?

Is it sluggish when you turn fast ?
This is starting to work really nicely!

Medium and fast feel fine to me, the only thing I would change would be to make the slowest inc/dec always change one 'unit' (where a 'unit' is the amount the pre-acceleration build moved)

At the moment there are a few too many 'dead' detent clicks for me, though I guess if you don't have the detents you won't worry

Pan still behaves a bit wierd (always has) You can turn forever at the slowest speed and it will never move off <C>. If you turn slightly faster it will jump to 3 or 7, never 1 (probably splitting hairs here) Same goes for Width.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 03-26-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #7674
Funkybot

Quote:

Medium and fast feel fine to me, the only thing I would change would be to make the slowest inc/dec always change one 'unit' (where a 'unit' is the amount the pre-acceleration build moved)

At the moment there are a few too many 'dead' detent clicks for me, though I guess if you don't have the detents you won't worry

Pan still behaves a bit wierd (always has) You can turn forever at the slowest speed and it will never move off <C>. If you turn slightly faster it will jump to 3 or 7, never 1 (probably splitting hairs here) Same goes for Width.
Similar feedback (also testing with pans)...

Fast and medium turns feel MUCH better.

Fine turns feel a little too slow now. Takes a like three "ticks" of the encoder to get a single 1% pan move.

Same experience with it getting stuck on pan center. Nothing but a medium speed turn will take it off pan center.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #7675
tdc

Hi Funkybot - I noted in an earlier post you talked about VCA Spill, I have been doing some searching but can't find anything relating to this?

On other systems, VCA Spill is a game changer when mixing large track count projects like film orch.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #7676
kram0

Quote:
If you mean by "console window" the "ReaScript console output" window,
this is opened by the Reaper action "_CSIEditMode".
Thank you WaveTrans!
I was following the instructions here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...i/Installation

It doesn't mention that you need to run that action - (BTW - it seems to automatically associate to Ctrl+Alt+1).
I think that if someone could add that detail it would help us newbies.
Cheers!

Before I found this project I was creating a modular framework of OSCii-BOT scripts. I have spent many, many hours on the scripts but CSI looks very promising and may have functionality I had not yet implemented...
Old 03-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #7677
kram0

This might be a bug...I'm still in the set-up stage.

CSI Edit Mode window will not open. Even from a freshly launched instance of Reaper.

** I CAN open it if I first go to Preferences => Control/OSC/web, Edit the "Control Surface Integrator", then click OK on the edit window.
I can then open the window until I change focus to another application. If I do change focus, CSI seem to stop responding to any midi messages. Click OK on the CSI window in Preferences as per above and it works again. (I do need to close and reopen the CSI Edit Mode if it was still open.)

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Reaper v6.05 (same behaviour in both 32- and 64-bit Reaper)
Latest version of CSI
Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 AM   #7678
Mike@Ossarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmG View Post
Sorry about that. Which one were you looking at? Any suggestions on what what confusing?

Cheers
Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

i was looking at the Encoder page. The normal encoder was to fine for my 'Surcface but when i use the example for the EncoderPlain the TrackPan stopped working beacuase of the FB_Fader7bit. When i switched that back to FB_Encoder everything was fine.

I think a hint on that issue on the Wiki would be nice.

Cheers, Michael
Old 03-27-2020, 03:01 AM   #7679
Mike@Ossarium

Quote:

I totally confirm that. Same on my side with the Behringer X-Touch.
Have worked with EncodePlain till now, but will definitely switch back to the normal Encoder now. Feels much better.

Cheers, Mike
Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 AM   #7680
Mike@Ossarium

Quote:
@MixMonkey, you are seeing either the built in MCU acceleration, or some kind of data thinning, would need more info to determine which.

Thanks for all the feedback folks !!

i'll continue to tweak this...

[edit] Didn't mention this, but I have no surfaces here with an encoder, so I could use some help with the following:
Could somebody (or more) very slowly turn their encoder 360 degrees and count how many messages it sends out ?
Thanks
I got also 24 messages for 360 degree.
But my X-Touch is enoder is probably the same as the "X-Touch One" from Funkybot