Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-10-2019, 05:40 AM   #721
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Wonderful! Long live stupid copyright protection on your paid for products...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #722
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celphor View Post
I'm answering myself. The license data depends on the MAC adress(es) of the (Linux) network interfaces. My Wifi adapter had MAC randomization enabled and therefore killed the licenses on each restart ;-)
Hi, could you mention your wine/distro/version, kernel, and system gui?
I have Korg M1, and an empty partition I'd use just to have M1 in linux!
Love all those multis from the extras cards! It's good anti-stress therapy to play them, with some nice headphones!

Is there a wine registry entry for your serial# ?
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #723
Celphor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Hi, could you mention your wine/distro/version, kernel, and system gui?
I have Korg M1, and an empty partition I'd use just to have M1 in linux!
Love all those multis from the extras cards! It's good anti-stress therapy to play them, with some nice headphones!

Is there a wine registry entry for your serial# ?
Cheers
Wine 4.21 Staging, Gentoo x64, Kernel 5.4.1, Gnome 3.32

The serials are in a file in the wineprefix, I don't remember the name now
Celphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #724
4duhwinnn

Thanks for the info. That's a mighty fresh kernel!
Cheers
Old 12-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #725
RO-mix

Default Omnisphere

I have Omnisphere working under linvstserver.
BUT it has lag after loading patches. Who has it fluently working, what can i do?
Also Serum asked me for registration but now it crashes when i ty to load it.
Had anybody experienced this kind of problems? Any recommendations?
RO-mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #726
4duhwinnn

About the lag, and assuming a Reaper 5.x daw, and wine-staging
4.20 or newer, you might try limiting Reaper to one cpu core.
That option is very beneficial when used with Kontakt.

Is the lag meaning the whole plugin
is slow, or just a time period after loading a sound,
before the plugin is properly responsive?

About Serum, I tried the demo a couple years ago,
and I think it needed a wine over-ride of the
d2d1.dll. Others may have more options, I hope.
Cheers
Old 12-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #727
RO-mix

It also happens in Carla with Omni and has no deal with Reaper itself. Lag happens after selecting sound or switching pages. The rest works...
I`ll try to take native d2d1.dll and try.
Kontakt works well. Serum just hangs jackd...
RO-mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #728
lightnb

Default Can't Compile LinVst?

Not sure if I should post here or in a new thread. I'm running into an issue running make to compile LinVst. The error is:

wineg++ -m32 lin-vst-server.wine32.o remotepluginserver.wine32.o paths.wine32.o -L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine-development -lpthread -lrt -o lin-vst-servertrack32.exe
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine-development/libwinecrt0.a(exe_entry.o)) to format elf32-i386 (lin-vst-servertrack32.0M6XKy.o) is not supported
winebuild: ld failed with status 1
winegcc: /usr/lib/wine-development/winebuild failed
Makefile-embed-6432:40: recipe for target 'lin-vst-servertrack32.exe' failed
make: *** [lin-vst-servertrack32.exe] Error 2

Using the latest stable wine, downloaded from them today and the latest LinVst from Github.

The command is: make -f Makefile-embed-6432

Which is supposed to make it work for 32 bit and 64 bit dlls.

I'm running Mint 19 64bit.

Thoughts?
lightnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #729
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnb View Post
Not sure if I should post here or in a new thread. I'm running into an issue running make to compile LinVst. The error is:

wineg++ -m32 lin-vst-server.wine32.o remotepluginserver.wine32.o paths.wine32.o -L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine-development -lpthread -lrt -o lin-vst-servertrack32.exe
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine-development/libwinecrt0.a(exe_entry.o)) to format elf32-i386 (lin-vst-servertrack32.0M6XKy.o) is not supported
winebuild: ld failed with status 1
winegcc: /usr/lib/wine-development/winebuild failed
Makefile-embed-6432:40: recipe for target 'lin-vst-servertrack32.exe' failed
make: *** [lin-vst-servertrack32.exe] Error 2

Using the latest stable wine, downloaded from them today and the latest LinVst from Github.

The command is: make -f Makefile-embed-6432

Which is supposed to make it work for 32 bit and 64 bit dlls.

I'm running Mint 19 64bit.

Thoughts?
That error happens because it's trying to link 32 bit code with 64 bit code/libraries and it should be linking with 32 bit code/libraries.

32 bit code is needed so that 32 bit vst's can run.

It can run without 32 bit vst support and just run 64 bit vst's which is what the default Makefile does.

I don't know the exact 32 bit packages to install on Mint but on Debian/Ubuntu it's

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386

sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib

sudo apt-get install libwine-development-dev:i386
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #730
lightnb

Quote:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386

sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib

sudo apt-get install libwine-development-dev:i386
I'm reluctant to install any wine related packages because it broke my wine install last time. I removed all the Wine pakages and now have a clean Wine 5 from the Wine PPA.

Two issues:

1. Lib Vst: I've run make clean, then make to try and build just the 64 bit version. The compiler fails with `lin-vst-server.cpp:43:10: fatal error: windows.h: No such file or directory`

I fixed this error by adding system wine packages before (I think the devel packages), but somehow they (or one of them) broke wine and I had to reinstall it. So it would be good to know exactly which package is required for the windows.h header before I install packages haphazardly.

Is there a way to see if a package will come from the system or the Wine PPA? That way I can insure that any packages are matched to the same version.

2. On the second front, I now have Kontakt 5.7 running in standalone mode in wine, and have loaded an instrument into it. (Which is why I don't want to mess up Wine by installing mismatched packages trying to meet LibVst dependencies). This seems to run fine, except the built in keyboard (inside Kontakt) does not cause the instrument to play, or any midi "lights" to blink on the instrument, or any sound to register on the meter. This seems to be an issue with audio setup in Wine? If I run winecfg and click test audio I do hear bleeps. (although after a while the test button plays a square wave version of bleeps instead of smooth bleeps. Winecfg only sees pulseaudio as an option and that's what it's set to.

Is there a guide to setting up and troubleshooting the audio issues in Wine? Is there a Windows .exe that's as simple as notepad that just plays sounds to test with? (ie. Windows Media Player is a bloated pig that probably uses twenty Microsoft proprietary platforms, so not good for a simple sound tester app.) I'm thinking a windows app that can load and play a wave or mp3 and nothing else would prove that sound works. Because this might actually be a midi issue, assuming Kontakt's keyboard generates real midi (like a hardware device) instead of faking it.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #731
osxmidi

Quote:
I'm reluctant to install any wine related packages because it broke my wine install last time. I removed all the Wine pakages and now have a clean Wine 5 from the Wine PPA.

Two issues:

1. Lib Vst: I've run make clean, then make to try and build just the 64 bit version. The compiler fails with `lin-vst-server.cpp:43:10: fatal error: windows.h: No such file or directory`

I fixed this error by adding system wine packages before (I think the devel packages), but somehow they (or one of them) broke wine and I had to reinstall it. So it would be good to know exactly which package is required for the windows.h header before I install packages haphazardly.

Is there a way to see if a package will come from the system or the Wine PPA? That way I can insure that any packages are matched to the same version.

2. On the second front, I now have Kontakt 5.7 running in standalone mode in wine, and have loaded an instrument into it. (Which is why I don't want to mess up Wine by installing mismatched packages trying to meet LibVst dependencies). This seems to run fine, except the built in keyboard (inside Kontakt) does not cause the instrument to play, or any midi "lights" to blink on the instrument, or any sound to register on the meter. This seems to be an issue with audio setup in Wine? If I run winecfg and click test audio I do hear bleeps. (although after a while the test button plays a square wave version of bleeps instead of smooth bleeps. Winecfg only sees pulseaudio as an option and that's what it's set to.

Is there a guide to setting up and troubleshooting the audio issues in Wine? Is there a Windows .exe that's as simple as notepad that just plays sounds to test with? (ie. Windows Media Player is a bloated pig that probably uses twenty Microsoft proprietary platforms, so not good for a simple sound tester app.) I'm thinking a windows app that can load and play a wave or mp3 and nothing else would prove that sound works. Because this might actually be a midi issue, assuming Kontakt's keyboard generates real midi (like a hardware device) instead of faking it.
I've had it happen, where installing the Wine dev packages break Wine and I just reinstall Wine afterwards.

You can just use the LinVst binaries on the GitHub Releases page and bypass compiling it.

The standalone Kontakt would be using Wine audio (which LinVst doesn't use) and setting that up is another thing.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #732
lightnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I've had it happen, where installing the Wine dev packages break Wine and I just reinstall Wine afterwards.

You can just use the LinVst binaries on the GitHub Releases page and bypass compiling it.

The standalone Kontakt would be using Wine audio (which LinVst doesn't use) and setting that up is another thing.
I made progress on the Kontakt front tonight. I'm not sure exactly what happened, since I tried a lot of things that didn't work, and there's lots of bits and pieces floating around.

But What I have now is the ability to play on my physical keyboard, have Kontakt (stand-alone in Wine) receive the notes, produce audio, send it through PulseAudio through Wine, and then PulseAudio sends it to Jack which goes to the sound card and out through the speakers.

Which took about four hours. For anyone else wanting to do this, this is what I did (although I'm not sure if all of these are necessary):

sudo apt-get install qjackctl pulseaudio-module-jack pavucontrol

Run qjackctl

Then click start to start the jack server

Load the kernel module for the ALSA loopback device:

sudo modprobe snd-aloop

add the line:

snd-aloop

to

/etc/modules

Run aplay -l to see if you have a loopback soundcard installed

apt-get install alsa-oss winetricks

winetricks sound=alsa

In Kontakt, Make sure your midi keyboard is set to on (Port A, etc) and choose Out: default under device in the Audio tab of setup.

Run pavucontrol and set "AlSA plug-in [wine64-preloader]" to "Jack Sync". (There's also a Kontakt 5.exe but it doesn't do anything.)

Now I've got to go back and look into the LinVst thing. I'm thinking of writing up a complete how to once we get this working so it's easier to setup the whole stack since there's so much scattered and outdated information.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #733
lightnb

So the package needed to compile the 64 bit only version of linvst is wine-stable-dev, which is the 3rd party PPA version of wine dev headers for Wine 5. Hope that helps someone. It fixes the windows.h problem without breaking anything else.

Still trying to figure out Jack and if I really need it. Is it required to make all this work, or only if I use a bunch of other programs instead of just Reaper+Kontatk? I'm not sure if there's other program on Linux that would be useful. Now though, at least, I've got sound through a Kontakt VST on Reaper on Linux and it's 1:30 so I need to go to bed.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-08-2020, 12:07 AM   #734
4duhwinnn

You can compare notes regarding NI install things at this link,

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...3359&start=150

(3rd post, third paragraph)

Also the deb based distro AVLinux comes preconfigured to launch wineasio,
from a command, (a bit of a different approach) which is important to run windows executables, some of which have more capabilities, and fewer gui issues, than their plugin counterparts. should one exist.

AVLinux also comes with most other important linux audio/video tools
in working order, an RT kernel etc ...some discussion and links at

https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewt...p?f=24&t=20907
Old 02-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #735
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Still trying to figure out Jack and if I really need it.
Thanks for the help!
If you can produce/create completely in a daw with plugins,
you might use Bitwig or Reaper or Mixbus with just alsa.
But I would never want a daw to be more crucial to making music,
than the entirety of the operating system itself.

This is where jackd and linux shine brightly.
mac/win get in the way, while linux makes a way.
Jackd is the patchbay of a powerful OS regardless
of which distros you use. I highly recommend mastering
jackd and it's various patchbay gui's, not very difficult,
but will reward your creativity time and again.

I've never compiled anything in 10 years of using linux for audio,
and seriously doubt I ever will. And in that time,
I've always been able to use high quality tools that come
out straight-forward, as binaries, debian packages, rpm packages
from Suse/Fedora, or have installer scripts, like those from U-he.

Enjoy the ride, wherever it takes you!
Here is a page with many qjackctl videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2nQCW31fNAiVdt
Old 02-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #736
lightnb

Thanks everyone.

After converting my Kontakt SDD to ext4 and moving it to my Linux machine, I'm finding myself in xrun hell and looking for options.

On windows, I had five instances on Kontakt on FX tracks, and was routing about 12 (on average) patches through each one for a full orchestra. (I ran out of RAM, bought 32GB, then found that while my motherboard supports it, Windows won't let me use more than 16GB unless I pay MS more money.) I was RAM constrained but the CPU never broke a sweat.

Now on my Linux machine, which has a faster processor, I start getting audio xruns with three patches loaded into one Kontakt. No other FX, and if I play the keyboard fast (ie an 1/8 note scale), I can get the red CPU 100% blinking in Kontakt.)

Now, the Linux CPU monitor is not showing anywhere near 100% (and there's 8 cores). It is showing more CPU than it ought to be though. But the Linux CPU monitor isn't hitting 100% when the clicks happen. The Kontakt monitor does sometimes. And I've never seen it go that high from just playing notes under Windows.

So I'm hoping it's a mis-configuration or something? Are other people running many Kontakt instruments without CPU /xrun issues?

On the JACK setup, realtime is checked, sample rate is 44100, Frames/Period is 2040, Period/Buffer is 2. Trying to set it any higher won't allow JACK to start.

What can I test or check?
Old 02-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #737
lightnb

I'm also trying out a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio on another partition (dual boot). One thing I've run into so far is that, in jack on the "connections" window, my keyboard is under the ALSA tab, and Reaper's MIDI in is on the MIDI tab.

There doesn't seem to be a way to connect the keyboard on the ALSA tab to Reaper on the MIDI tab...

UPDATE: It looks like you have to set the MIDI Driver in Jack Setup to make midi_capture appear in the MIDI tab, which can then be linked to Reaper. Not sure the difference between seq and raw though for MIDI driver. Also found mention of a a2jmidid online.

UPDATE 2: Got Kontakt working on the Ubuntu Studio (with the low latency kernel) through reaper. Still getting xruns (clicks and pops) once I've added about the third patch to a single Kontakt. Still using Linvst, since the Carla win VST thing doesn't seem to detect the Windows Kontakt DLLs.

Last edited by lightnb; 02-09-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:00 AM   #738
osxmidi

Quote:
I'm also trying out a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio on another partition (dual boot). One thing I've run into so far is that, in jack on the "connections" window, my keyboard is under the ALSA tab, and Reaper's MIDI in is on the MIDI tab.

There doesn't seem to be a way to connect the keyboard on the ALSA tab to Reaper on the MIDI tab...

UPDATE: It looks like you have to set the MIDI Driver in Jack Setup to make midi_capture appear in the MIDI tab, which can then be linked to Reaper. Not sure the difference between seq and raw though for MIDI driver. Also found mention of a a2jmidid online.

UPDATE 2: Got Kontakt working on the Ubuntu Studio (with the low latency kernel) through reaper. Still getting xruns (clicks and pops) once I've added about the third patch to a single Kontakt. Still using Linvst, since the Carla win VST thing doesn't seem to detect the Windows Kontakt DLLs.
Kontakt can have problems with the multiple cpu option when running under Wine, so turning that off might do something.

Also make sure realtime is setup for your device, the rtirq script.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #739
Peevy

Quote:

Are you using outside apps for sounds to add to reaper via jack? Because if not I don't see the point in using jack at all when you can use alsa. I have one particular project running with 17 instances of kontakt (I prefer to use separate instances per instrument rather than multiple inst in one kontakt) some uhe synths & various other fx plugins per track at 128 samples using alsa & the cpu is barely going over 45% use.

I don't even use the realtime kernel, the standard kernel is pretty decent now. Although I'd probably use the RT kernel it I was recording multiple audio sources at the same time. Of course this wouldn't be possible without the great linvst from osxmidi.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #740
Rivereto Esplorado

Location: Mi ne plu uzas REAPER kaj ne plu aktivas en la forumoj.

Have you tried zita-rev1? There's a good reason right there to keep Jack around

I use Jack for a lot of live stuff, say, running a synth through zita-rev1. If I wanted to capture that I could either run a realtime render via Jack (Cadence) or route the audio back into Reaper or similar. Either way, there are plenty of occasions when Jack is necessary for my workflow.

On the kernel front, I love the Liquorix low-latency kernel. Zero x-runs since switching to that (ensuring that "performance mode" is selected in Cadence).
Rivereto Esplorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #741
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivereto Esplorado View Post
On the kernel front, I love the Liquorix low-latency kernel. Zero x-runs since switching to that (ensuring that "performance mode" is selected in Cadence).
How much difference do you see between the Liquorix Kernel and the Linux RT Kernel?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #742
Rivereto Esplorado

Don't bother with RT kernel...most of the stuff has been folded into the vanilla kernel at this point. I believe there are enough tweaks in the low-latency to justify its use. There's one user I came across who tested all the various tweaks system-wide and the only thing that made a tangible difference was specifically changing to the liquorix kernel. I've been doing the same thing for a couple of years at this point. Zero x-runs can't be a bad thing I built my system in 2012 (FX6300 cpu) and these results are with a humble UMC204HD. My usage isn't hundreds of tracks and plugins but still...
Old 02-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #743
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivereto Esplorado View Post
Don't bother with RT kernel...most of the stuff has been folded into the vanilla kernel at this point. I believe there are enough tweaks in the low-latency to justify its use. There's one user I came across who tested all the various tweaks system-wide and the only thing that made a tangible difference was specifically changing to the liquorix kernel. I've been doing the same thing for a couple of years at this point. Zero x-runs can't be a bad thing I built my system in 2012 (FX6300 cpu) and these results are with a humble UMC204HD. My usage isn't hundreds of tracks and plugins but still...
Awesome. Much appreciated. Yeah, I've heard from multiple sources the vanilla is not much different than the RT kernel at this point.

Will give the liquorix kernel a shot. Have had it on the to-do list for a while so now is a good excuse as any.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #744
Rivereto Esplorado

For what it's worth, I just followed the installation directions on the Liquorix website to the letter using meta-packages to guarantee latest version.

In the past I had to install a previous version because it made my mouse laggy but the most recent time I've installed (on two different machines) this has not been a problem at all.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #745
lightnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Are you using outside apps for sounds to add to reaper via jack? Because if not I don't see the point in using jack at all when you can use alsa.
I'm not using anything other than Reaper with plugins. If I stay on Linux (which I'd like to do, but it's unusable at this point, unless we figure out the problem), I'll probably use ZynSubFX and Drum Gizmo and the other FX that are available on Linux. But those all run through Carla or as plugins, so I wouldn't need Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
I have one particular project running with 17 instances of kontakt (I prefer to use separate instances per instrument rather than multiple inst in one kontakt) some uhe synths & various other fx plugins per track at 128 samples using alsa & the cpu is barely going over 45% use.
And when you play 17 Kontakts at once, there are no clicks or pops?

What is your software setup like?

Are you using Reaper on Linux (native) or Windows Reaper running on Wine?

Do you have Jack installed at all, or just a PulseAudio/ALSA only setup?

Are you using LinVST, and does it go through Carla, or Reaper direct through LinVST to the Kontakt SO/DLL?

Is it normal Wine, or one of the commercial ones?

Did you set Kontakt to one CPU only like suggested above?

It's nice to know that someone has this working... I'd just like to figure out what's different with this setup that's causing the issues. Once I get to three Kontakt instruments I get into clicks and pops and 100% CPU on the core running Wine. Didn't see much/any difference between Mint 19 and Ubuntu Studio 19.10. It's probably a configuration issue with the software stack.

UPDATE: Just tried turning Jack off and using Kontakt standalone in Wine, no DAW. About 3 instruments is where it hits 100% CPU (in Kontakt) and gets occasional distortion, which sounds different than an xrun, but it seems to be the same thing. I guess that eliminates LinVST, Kontakt and Jack as the problem. Seems to be an issue with/between Linux and Wine.

Last edited by lightnb; 02-10-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #746
Peevy

Quote:
I'm not using anything other than Reaper with plugins. If I stay on Linux (which I'd like to do, but it's unusable at this point, unless we figure out the problem), I'll probably use ZynSubFX and Drum Gizmo and the other FX that are available on Linux. But those all run through Carla or as plugins, so I wouldn't need Jack.

And when you play 17 Kontakts at once, there are no clicks or pops?

What is your software setup like?

Are you using Reaper on Linux (native) or Windows Reaper running on Wine?

Do you have Jack installed at all, or just a PulseAudio/ALSA only setup?

Are you using LinVST, and does it go through Carla, or Reaper direct through LinVST to the Kontakt SO/DLL?

Is it normal Wine, or one of the commercial ones?

Did you set Kontakt to one CPU only like suggested above?

It's nice to know that someone has this working... I'd just like to figure out what's different with this setup that's causing the issues. Once I get to three Kontakt instruments I get into clicks and pops and 100% CPU on the core running Wine. Didn't see much/any difference between Mint 19 and Ubuntu Studio 19.10. It's probably a configuration issue with the software stack.

UPDATE: Just tried turning Jack off and using Kontakt standalone in Wine, no DAW. About 3 instruments is where it hits 100% CPU (in Kontakt) and gets occasional distortion, which sounds different than an xrun, but it seems to be the same thing. I guess that eliminates LinVST, Kontakt and Jack as the problem. Seems to be an issue with/between Linux and Wine.
I'm running native linux reaper using linvst for kontakt & various other windows plugins from fabfilter & ik multimedia. Now when i say 17 instances they're not all running at the same time but at different parts of the project but the densest section has 9 kontakt at the same time. I only get clicks & pops if I go down to 64 samples but still not too bad. My system specs are in my sig. I havent changed any settings in kontakt that im aware of & i have jack insalled because I use qtractor the very odd time but I've never used jack in reaper.

You dont need jack to run zyn fusion or carla as plugins in reaper, i have them running in reaper with alsa no problem. I actually have been trying to get away from using windows plugins on linux because i have a couple of times had to roll back a wine version because plugins stopped working. The latest problem I've had is the native access intaller not starting up which i worked round by copying over from a vm windows 10. Also ik's custom shop won't load properly. The only windows plugin I've used in my latest projects is sforzando for running a pretty decent free orchestral sfz based library called virtual playing orchestra.

It is a shame because i must have collected about £1000 worth of sample libraries over the years but im just too stubborn to go back to windows & can't afford to go back to macos. Linux in IMO is definitely the best os there is, now if only native instruments would see it that way id be a happy man.

Last edited by Peevy; 02-11-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #747
lightnb

So I tried swapping sound cards between machines, putting the one form the windows machine on Linux, but it still has the same issue. I think it's a software configuration thing,not hardware.

What drivers are everyone using? ie.:

1. In kontakt settins on the audio tab, whats under Driver?
Mine says: WASAPA (Shared Mode)

2. Under that, where it says "Device", mine says "Out: SB Audigy 2 Platinum". I also have a loopback, but it doesn't produce any sound (the meters in Kontakt show sound but nothing comes out.)

3. In winecfg on the audio tab, Selected driver says "winealsa.drv"
Under that, in the defaults section, I have the same options that I have in Kontakt, a loop back, the HDMI on the graphics card, and the Audigy sound card.

Two observations:

1. The High CPU is only in Kontakt... The Linux system monitor doesn't show 100% CPU on any core even when I'm playing many notes fast and LKontakt is continously flashing 100% CPU in red and the sound is distorting.

2. The distortion seems related to the voices count, high voice counts distort, and playing faster triggers more voices. It seems 25+ is where issues occur, the higher the voices the more issues. But it worked fine on the same hardware on Windows, so it seems to be a software issue.

Are there any Wine settings that limit CPU where Kontakt would be getting allocated a limited amount of CPU?

UPDATE: More observations: Kontakt.exe in top shows roughly the same CPU usage as Kontakt's interface. So it's probably being spread out between multiple cores.

I also tried increase the nice value to 19 on Kontakt and wineserver but there was no change. These patches are using way to much CPU under wine, and I don't know why.

Last edited by lightnb; 02-10-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #748
osxmidi

There is the cpu/threading options in Reaper as well.

Search for Glennbo posts like this https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ighlight=rtirq
Old 02-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #749
lightnb

After some experimentation, it seems that the problem occurs when trying to run multiple patches in a single Kontakt instance. This is what overloads the CPU.

I created 24 tracks, each with a separate Kontakt instance via LinVST, and each having only one patch loaded on it, and it seems to work fine.

With 24 Kontakts running on 24 tracks, I get about 40-50% CPU usage on all eight cores when monitoring from Linux.

The problem is, each Kontakt+Wine+LinVst instance uses 400-500 MB of RAM to run a patch that's maybe a 30MB patch. I don't know if there's a more RAM efficient way to do this. So 24 tracks uses 12GB of RAM, where on Windows I had maybe 60 tracks with orchestra articulations and a few piano and choir patches) sitting at 7GB of ram.

I put articulations on separate tracks because I hate key-switches. I'm looking into some plugin scripting options to deal with articulations a different way.

I also wanted to ask about USB interfaces. I've never used one. My sound card seems to be working fine at the moment. But I want to be able to hook up a mic that uses phantom power.

You mentioned you had the NI interface in your signature, so presumably that works OK with Linux. I've also found a lot by Focusrite "Scarlett" that seems to be popular. (I was looking at used stuff on Facebook marketplace. A lot of audio gear for sale in Nashville, which is about a 3.5 hour drive. Probably not worth it vs ordering new, but a good idea of what's out there.)

I also found a Zoom R-24 that looks like it has multiple in/outs and some mixer functionality and can record to an SD card "in the field". It claims to have 24 channels and DAW mixing support, but only 8 inputs, so I'm not sure where the 24 comes from, and if any of that works on Linux or is even useful. But I could take it to the woods or a coffee shop and get an ambient noise track with the built in mic, maybe.

There's so many options and none of them advertise Linux support (of course).

What I'd like to do is create a "no budget" animated web series using Blender and (almost) only free and open source software. So on the audio side, I would need:

1. To compose music with high track counts (full orchestra).
2. Possibly record Foley and other sound effects (I don't know how much sound design vs buying libraries makes sense, but a portable recorder makes sense for any field work).
3. Recording voices for characters. Some voice actors might be remote and use their own system though...)
4. Put it all together in a master mix set to edited picture. Having six outs would allow surround mixing, although I don't know if streaming sites (YouTube, VEMO, etc support surround and I don't know how many people have a setup for it.)
5. The ability to patch in "real" gear? I don't know if this is useful or not, but I do have a Yamaha SPX990 it might be fun to patch into a Reaper channel. It would take two aux outs (not main L/R) and two ins. Not sure if it can be automated via MIDI in reaper either.

So, long question short, do any of you other Linux users have experience with audio interfaces on Linux and know which ones tend to work well and which to avoid?
Old 02-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #750
Klangfarben

Quote:
The problem is, each Kontakt+Wine+LinVst instance uses 400-500 MB of RAM to run a patch that's maybe a 30MB patch. I don't know if there's a more RAM efficient way to do this. So 24 tracks uses 12GB of RAM, where on Windows I had maybe 60 tracks with orchestra articulations and a few piano and choir patches) sitting at 7GB of ram.
There is a separate version of LinVST that loads all plugins into one instance of Wine. Which means Kontakt instances will share memory and not have to load the same patches into memory twice. Maybe give it a try and see if it works any better for you.

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst-X
Old 02-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #751
lightnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
There is a separate version of LinVST that loads all plugins into one instance of Wine. Which means Kontakt instances will share memory and not have to load the same patches into memory twice. Maybe give it a try and see if it works any better for you.

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst-X
I just tried it, but when I rename linvstx.so with the DLL names like before (and delete the other .so's from regular linvst), Reaper doesn't seem to detect these new so's as valid plugins.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #752
clepsydrae

Quote:
So, long question short, do any of you other Linux users have experience with audio interfaces on Linux and know which ones tend to work well and which to avoid?
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and it works great with linux. Second generation (I would avoid the first generation.) I sometimes use the cheaper m-audio equivalent (4 XLR in) and it's fine, too. I used to use the Presonus Firestudio Mobile but I wouldn't mess with firewire anymore.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #753
JamesPeters

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation. It works fine, but you'll want to read this post. Also the 2i2 makes a "click" in the audio output when switching sample rates; it's not loud enough to damage the speakers, and it's only when going from playing MP3 to Youtube (or to Reaper), so it's something that doesn't bother me. (It probably does that in Windows too.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #754
osxmidi

Quote:
I just tried it, but when I rename linvstx.so with the DLL names like before (and delete the other .so's from regular linvst), Reaper doesn't seem to detect these new so's as valid plugins.
Try installing it again and reboot.

Whether Kontakt on Linux can reach a similar performance to Kontakt on Windows, I'm not sure about.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #755
4duhwinnn

A Kontakt frame of reference

Ubuntu Studio 19.10
Linux kernel 5.3.0-24-lowlatency SMP PREEMPT
linux reaper 5.987
wine-staging 5.0-rc3
A LinVst that's around 6 months old
i7 2600 cpu (4 cores/8 threads @ 3.4 ghz

Reaper-prefs 'Audio reading/processing threads' is configured
to use 1 core, and Reaper
'allow live multiFX processing' is set for 2 cpus
(both are on the first prefs panel that opens from
the options menu))

Two instances of Kontakt 6, one using the NI Maverick Grand Piano
and the other using NI Hybrid Keys 'Atmospheric' preset
(consists of 2 sounds + sundry effects)
and lastly, TAL Reverb 1

qjackctl cpu meter varies between 28% and 50%
Playing fast is glitch-free. And the result
is a really nice piano in the headphones
for pennies on the dollar compared
to a real piano of high quality...
Cheers

(It ain't broke, an it ain't gettin' fixed!!!)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #756
lightnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and it works great with linux.
Do you have the clicking issues with the 18i8 JamesPeters mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation. It works fine, but you'll want to read this post.
Thanks for the feedback... So would you recommend Focusrite hardware then?

Can the proprietary settings be set via Wine? And if you configure it on Windows, does it stay that way on Linux?

Do you have any of the keyboards that have extra buttons/sliders/knobs? Do those work right on Linux and with Reaper? I see a lot of the composers on YouTube that have a bunch of boards with buttons and sliders and knobs, but not really sure what they are doing with them... is it just desk bling or useful?
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #757
JamesPeters

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback... So would you recommend Focusrite hardware then?
Only if you think the feature set of the 2i2 is useful to you. And if you decide to get a larger interface which has controls only accessible via the software (in Windows), as of kernel 5.14 those controls are now available in alsamixer and QasMixer.

Quote:
Do you have any of the keyboards that have extra buttons/sliders/knobs? Do those work right on Linux and with Reaper? I see a lot of the composers on YouTube that have a bunch of boards with buttons and sliders and knobs, but not really sure what they are doing with them... is it just desk bling or useful?
If you're referring to a MIDI keyboard, I have one of these:

https://www.donnerdeal.com/products/...ntroller-black

It seems to work well. I use it as a basic MIDI controller.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 08-19-2021 at 10:37 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #758
clepsydrae

Quote:
Do you have the clicking issues with the 18i8 JamesPeters mentioned?
No, but I never change sample rates in linux... in windows, i may have heard a faint sound, but nothing noticeable.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #759
Westrabua

In case anyone ever thought "Would be nice to have a graphical manager application for the various LinVst bridges...", then this might be interesting to you:

https://github.com/Goli4thus/linvstmanager

A.k.a Goli4thus (on github). Donate
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #760
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrabua View Post
In case anyone ever thought "Would be nice to have a graphical manager application for the various LinVst bridges...", then this might be interesting to you
Dude this is awesome! Going to try this asap.