Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
Breeder
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER ReWorked: An elegant and self-sufficient all-around REAPER configuration

This is an out-of-the-box REAPER configuration which should hopefully satisfy most DAW users. Whoever has tried REAPER, knows there is currently no better DAW on the market (functionality-wise at least) - its only problem is the user has to customize it extensively to have it truly shine. REAPER is great, but it being a Linux of DAW programs has made it pretty much reserved for tech savvy people only, so this is my take on encapsulating a lot of functionality into one complete package which should hopefully save you some time if you're not satisfied with vanilla REAPER installation.

This is intended for people doing MIDI work and composing songs/soundtracks that want a DAW for linear music creation with standard MIDI functions available from most DAWs, recording if needed, importing and manipulating samples - standard songwriting stuff coupled with mixing tasks. My inspiration was FL Studio and Cubase and because both of these missed some crucial stuff like MIDI ripple editing, I've simply decided to rearrange REAPER for myself with the goal of creating a clean-cut and final product.

I believe REAPER ReWorked is best suited for people just starting out with REAPER because it simply has more functions than standard installation and it is not just all bashed together but ergonomically planned and tried in practice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current version: 1.362 (what's new) (manual)
Download full installer at https://reaper-reworked.weeblysite.com/

Mirrors: Full installer & Update only

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can support the project by donating or buying the premium content which consists of:
  • More than 900 MIDI drum maps for a lot of popular instruments including Spitfire Orchestra, Native Instruments Komplete Series and many more.
  • A set of programs to convert expression maps and drum maps between REAPER, Cubase and FL Studio BRSO Articulate formats. You can also buy these separately here.
  • Example orchestral template project with more than 600 tracks and example mixer FX rack.

Disclaimer:
Please note that the configuration was tested and developed on Windows 10 x64. There is zero guarantee it will work on other operating systems.

Last edited by Breeder; 11-06-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
Breeder

Features at a glance

REAPER menus reimagined
Menus are completely re-built from the ground up. Everything is sorted neatly and logically so you can easily find what you're looking for. Everything that has a shortcut is somewhere in the menus so you can quickly learn your way around. Action list is great - but less typing means more music making.

MIDI ripple editing
Edit rhythms and have everything shift accordingly when moving, deleting and changing lengths of notes through shortcuts and menu entries. To get the hang for the MIDI editing in REAPER ReWorked, right-click empty piano roll area and go to Editor options -> Numpad editing. Enabling both MIDI ripple editing and step input practically turns REAPER into a notation/tab editing tool similar to Guitar Pro or Sibelius.

Pre-arranged toolbars
Toolbars are populated with the most used functions both in MIDI Editor and Arrange. REAPER ReWorked also makes use of fabulous SWS Contextual Toolbars feature and comes with many pre-arranged toolbars. Just hover your mouse over various parts of REAPER and use Ctrl+Alt+A to show the toolbar for that context.

Mixer FX rack
Press F on your keyboard and a dedicated set of 5 tracks will appear in Mixer window - this is called Mixer FX rack and you can populate it with many useful FXs and then drag and drop all around your project. Once done, just press F again and move it out of the way.

Track visibility management
Every serious composer knows that one can't have too many tracks in the project. REAPER ReWorked has many built-in functions that allow you to quickly and seamlessly show only the tracks you want to see and hide the rest.

Multiple envelopes workflow
Sometimes you want to edit all of the envelopes at the same time. REAPER ReWorked comes with a dedicated set of actions that allow you to apply many common operations to all visible envelopes of all selected tracks.

Track selection follows focused FX
As soon as you select any track FX window and it becomes focused, track to which that FX belongs will automatically get selected. If you use automatic record arm on your tracks, this feature can make your life much easier. The option is enabled by default and can be turned on/off in Main toolbar or in various places in REAPER menus.

Built-in sequencer
We all know of the fabulous JS Megababy Sequencer. REAPER ReWorked allows you to quickly record into it by toggling the feature with Alt+R. Sequencer will get loaded automatically as soon as you start recording into a track and will record only when the feature is on. Once done you can either show pattern selector track and Ctrl-drag items from it to arrange your sequencer patterns or record pattern changes and use dedicated action to create single pattern items with images.

Keep Mixer out of the way
REAPER ReWorked comes with many utility options such as the ability to keep the Mixer window at the bottom at all times so you don't lose the overview of your floating FX and other windows. If you need to see the full Mixer, there is no need to disable the option - simply click the Mixer title bar two times and it will jump in front of all other windows. The option is enabled by default and can be turned on/off in Mixer master track context menu.

Default screensets
REAPER ReWorked comes with a built-in set of screensets (including the popular inspector layout configuration), that make sure all of the available windows are always neatly docked and out of the way while you're busy creating music.

Synchronized shortcuts
REAPER ReWorked makes sure all of the shortcuts are the same across the whole program. Press S in the Arrange to split the items or press it again in MIDI Editor to split notes.

Pre-installed content
REAPER ReWorked comes with many popular extensions and themes already installed and set up so you don't have to go hunting the forums for the stuff. Author of REAPER ReWorked has worked extensively on SWS Extension for years so you can be sure that everything is integrated properly.

Attention to detail
Many of built-in REAPER functions have been polished to perfection. Try double-clicking the track in the mixer window to switch it between normal and sidebar layouts. Do the same in TCP to collapse folder tracks. When switching timebase, REAPER ReWorked will make sure the content of your MIDI items stays put. MIDI input quantize will obey current grid setting, and so on and so forth...

Bunch of other stuff
REAPER ReWorked comes with over 800 custom written scripts that act as a power horse for the whole configuration. It would take many pages to list every possible feature available but since REAPER ReWorked has been made with simplicity in mind, you're invited to dive into menus and find what else it's capable of.

Premium content for our supporters
While REAPER ReWorked is free, it has taken a considerable amount of effort to put it all together. If you decide to show your appreciation, you will get an additional content as a sign of gratitude. Among that content is over 900 hand-made MIDI drum maps that should cover many popular instruments on the market today.

Last edited by Breeder; 09-03-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
Breeder

Frequently Asked Questions - Part 1 (FAQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforssell View Post
In my environment I can't extract some files due to long file names.
I always try to make action names as verbose as possible and windows 10 has this new feature that enables using paths longer than 260 characters.

You can download registry files to enable or disable the feature here:
Win Long Paths - Turn On (Requires reboot).reg
Win Long Paths - Turn Off (Requires reboot).reg

And read more about it here:
https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-1...ort-windows-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone64 View Post
I've been having a really good time with the changes. It's just a bit hard to get used to the right click menus that have more nested menus than before, making workflow slower sometimes.
When it comes to nested menus - this is my cure:
How to Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 10

You can get the registry files to quickly set this up here:
Set Menu Show Delay Time - Default
Set Menu Show Delay Time - Short
Set Menu Show Delay Time - Shorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matv View Post
And any example for MIDI ripple editing
You first need to enable it (Num5 or Alt+A or click this button in MIDI toolbar (image) and then use keyboard shortcuts to move the notes or drag the position of the notes (I couldn't do it for the rest of the mouse modifiers because REAPER doesn't allow it...so ripple editing works with all keyboard shortcuts to move, change length, stretch notes etc...and only works for mouse when selecting and dragging notes to change their position).

It's best to right-click the empty piano roll area and go to Editor options -> Numpad editing and just play with it. I use it in tandem with step input mode (turned on by the button next to ripple edit button (image) or Ctrl+Num5 or Ctrl+-). Using both ripple edit and step input enabled practically turns REAPER MIDI Editor into a notation/tab editing tool similar to Guitar Pro or Sibelius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemarsi View Post
First of all, I'm using a portable version, but I have a problem with the effects rack, that is the effects of my most used chain, but when I touch F to hide it and then recall the effects rack, all the effects are gone with F, where I'm wrong?
If you do any changes to FX Rack and want to save it permanently, select all of the tracks belonging to FX Rack, right-click those tracks and go to ‘Insert… -> Save track template…’. Then, navigate to this folder:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\ REAPER ReWorked - Global Data\internal_track_templates

Once there, overwrite the file ‘FX Rack.RTrackTemplate’. Note that REAPER ReWorked expects to find that exact file there so do not rename it or move it, otherwise FX Rack feature won’t be able to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst View Post
Feels that some stuff overlaps.
That's intentional. The rationale is that I take frequent breaks from music and I pretty much have to re-learn everything so I like to have everything available everywhere - from functions to shortcuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I would like to try it on the side while still have my normal Reaper settings so I can try it out without messing with my configurations.

I used Housofwhitetie and didn't like it and went back to my normal routine. Can I do the same without lots of changes?
The route I recommend in the user guide is using the portable installation.

REAPER ReWorked has been in the works for years and it has all sorts of goodies that are connected with each other to create one complete whole. To separate them would be troublesome to say the least.

Just importing menus, keysets and scripts isn't enough. You would miss custom screensets which are tuned to work with 8 themes that come pre-installed and are also modified so they all preserve various layouts and their sizes when user switches between those themes. Also, REAPER ReWorked uses a few custom JS effects to run some stuff like BPM Calculator, Sequencer (and that sequencer also uses special MCP layouts that are the same for every of 8 pre-installed themes) etc... Then there are startup actions and SWS cycle actions that are needed to make stuff work. And a bunch of other stuff I probably forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirner View Post
I have a problem, that is explained here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....29#post2198629

Keyboard input doesnt't work properly in some VSTi, especially Massive X, and people say it shouldn't be the case with standard Reaper. I installed Reworked und adjusted it a little (menues and added some MIDI controller shortcuts)

Are there some hidden settings, that can solve this problem.

I also noted that Ctrl-S shortcut - "Save all FX as chain" - in the FX window doesn't work. Is it disabled in Reworked?
Yes, some plugins can we wonky when it comes to keyboard input, but thankfully there's a solution for those. REAPER has an option to send all keyboard input to plug-in - it's per-plug-in option and can be set in FX chain window by selecting the desired plugins and then going to Menu->FX->Send all keyboard input to plug-in (image). You can also do it for each plug-in when it's floating by clicking the + button next to the preset selector (image).

Also note that REAPER has an option to determine the scope of the shortcut (so it either works when arrange/MIDI editor has the focus or in the whole program or in the whole program even when some edit field has the focus). But usage of these global shortcuts is rare in REAPER ReWorked (sort actions in the action list by shortcut to see which one are set as global - they have (g) or (g+) prefix)

When you're adding new shortcuts or editing existing one, you can edit it in Edit shortcut dialog (image).

Regarding Ctr+S and saving FX chains from FX windows - there's an option to enable those shortcuts in FX window itself. Go to Menu->Options->Ignore FX chain window shortcuts (send to main window) (image).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus2323 View Post
I want to go back to the regular Reaper looking window. How do you do this? There is no Uninstall instructions.

Thanks....looks nice but way too crowded for me.
Hide the top toolbar I guess? View->Top toolbar.

If you want to remove stuff from the main toolbar, you can also resize it to hide non-default icons (instead of removing them all together by right-clicking the empty space in main toolbar and selecting Customize toolbar...). You will need to resave window screensets thought (ctrl+alt+w) so it sticks (window screensets store the main toolbar length)

You can't really uninstall REAPER ReWorked - you can just install clean REAPER installation and start over without it. To "clean it up", I guess you could reset toolbars/menus to their defaults and do the same with shortcuts. Then you would resave windows screensets and I presume that would make it look and feel as vanilla REAPER, but with all the stuff included in case you want to reuse them.

Last edited by Breeder; 01-11-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
Breeder

Frequently Asked Questions - Part 2 (FAQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
One thing I wanted to ask is, what are those tracks from on 1 to 5, one being a folder of tracks 2,3,4 and 5. I can see them on the Inspector mixer, though not in the TCP (Arranger)?

They are named --RACK-- something. Same thing with the default name of the recorded files ($RACKitem... something), which I changed.
That's mixer FX Rack. You can show it/hide it with the shortcut 'F' or by right-clicking mixer master track and selecting Show mixer FX rack....

I left it loaded in template projects so it doesn't go missed but you can hide it and all these tracks will disappear from your project. You can then proceed to resave project templates so you never see it again.

It's 5 tracks that are meant to hold your favorite FX and instruments. You populate them with FX you want to use and then save them as track template (explained in the user guide), you can see it in action here (image)

I personally have it fully populated and all of my FX are set offline but I key-binded this REAPER ReWorked script:
Code:
Script: Track FX - Set last offline FX in mixer track online and float (show at mouse cursor...).lua
to my mouse so whenever I drag some offline FX from mixer FX rack, I just hover my mouse over the track where I draged FX and run that script once so it puts last offline FX online. Works a treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Built-in sequencer
I would love to maybe see some video about this. Not very clear to me
I've not been using this feature for a long time so I'm kinda rusty but basically just check buttons in Main toolbar (they are next to freeze buttons) or go to View->Sequencer and check menu entries. Basically, when you enable sequencer auto record option, any armed track with MIDI input will get automatically populated with sequencer (which should also automatically pop up) and while it's on (the option to auto record into sequencer) it will not record into track but into sequencer. And that's pretty much it. After you're done, because loaded sequencer preset has predetermined triggers, you can show/hide track that contains all the sequencer trigger items and just control-drag them (to copy them) to sequencer track.

Here's the licecap:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kE...ua4vTAjP_0NkDf

For the rest of the stuff, it's best to refer to sequencer documentation. I've supplied a basic manual for Megababy sequencer and you can find it in Menu->Documentation. The included version of the sequencer is nandy's mod of Megababy sequencer and as far as I know it doesn't have it's own thread - you can find it here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/20869/seq%20megababy%20nm

Here's a short description on how the sequencer works:
https://reaperblog.net/2014/09/js-ef...ncer-megababy/

Remember, the included Megababy sequencer that comes with REAPER ReWorked is even further modded version so it reacts to various REAPER ReWorked menu entries/toolbar buttons that enable/disable record and enable/disable pattern switching.

One last thing I think I didn't explain is that when you record pattern switches of the patterns you recorded into sequencer, you can use one of the sequencer menu entries to convert it to induvidual sequencer midi items. Bonus, hidden feature, is that if you select existing pattern selector in pattern selector track, it will use that color.

Here's a another licecap:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hd...54D26xhnOxsvL7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
Wow, haven't tried it yet but seems pretty incredible. Thanks for your hard work in doing this!

Would this be compatible with Orchestra Template for Reaper?

http://otr.storyteller.im/
I don't see why not if OTR is supplying only templates - REAPER ReWorked is like a basic REAPER vanilla configured to act as a good starting point so if OTR just gives you the templates, there shouldn't be any problems as far as I can tell. The only problems that could arise is if OTR requires you to mod REAPER somehow, but I haven't used OTR so I can't tell at first glance if that's the case.

Quote:
This is some advanced sh¡t... in-fx... retrospective. I do not speak that language.
It records any MIDI in the background so if you improvised and didn't hit record, you can still get what you've played

Last edited by Breeder; 07-20-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
mschnell

IMHO this is a geat idea but by no means a default. Reaper is much more versatile.

Hence I don't like the name ("reworked") at all, as same suggest that the target this thing is aimed to is the only one sensible and the only one anybody might be after.
It should feature a name that makes clear what kind of workflow is going to be addressed.

Nonetheless I feel that it's a GREAT idea to provide an especially crafted setup for Reaper to those who are interested in an "out of the box" decently working thingy, in case they search for exactly the kind of workflow that is addressed by this product.

And supposedly a non free product that features ongoing support by the provider is exactly what a bunch of DAW users need.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-13-2019 at 08:16 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:50 AM   #6
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO this is a geat idea but by no means a default. Reaper is much more versatile.

Hence I don't like the name ("reworked") at all, as same suggest that the target this thing is aimed to is the only one sensible and the only one anybody might be after.
It should feature a name that makes clear what kind of workflow is going to be addressed.
Let's call it all-around then! ;D

Quote:

And supposedly a non free product that features ongoing support by the provider is exatacly what a bunch of DAW users need.

-Michael
Configuration in itself is free. What is not free is my time and website costs - that is remedied by the ability to buy premium content if you wish to support this project.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Let's call it all-around then!
Not better. I do know lots of usage cases for Reaper where this kind of improvement does not help at all.

But a name is .... just a name

I do hope than there will be many clients for the premium content and enable you to provide maintenance and answer their questions.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-13-2019 at 11:39 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Delucci

Wow, that's awesome! I'll take a look, thanks a lot for sharing this, Breeder
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Breeder

Quote:
I do hope than there will be many clients for the premium content and enable you to provide maintenance and answer their questions.

-Michael
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucci View Post
Wow, that's awesome! I'll take a look, thanks a lot for sharing this, Breeder
And thank you guys for checking it out. Hopefully, everything will work all right.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
hopi

Howdy Breeder... just getting into a look around reworked...

have some questions about toolbars:

1-what you call Top Toolbar seems to have all it's actions and icons
doubled... which makes it much to long to fit in the space...

now I fixed this for myself

2- I personally put all the toolbars in a docker, so each one has a named tab in the docker and I put the docker up top where you have the toolbar... I know others like to have them off to one side or floating, etc...
I wonder what you actually intended?

3- just found the same doubled actions and icons for the MIDI Ed. toolbar called MIDI Piano Roll Toolbar....

Last edited by hopi; 09-15-2019 at 07:36 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
hopi

still looking around but so far appreciating what you have done with menus... pretty nifty
Old 09-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
Luster

Respect for all the effort. This is not an easy task.

Who is addressed by this package? Is this worth a look, when you already have a Reaper config found for yourself or more just for starters?
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Howdy Breeder... just getting into a look around reworked...

have some questions about toolbars:

1-what you call Top Toolbar seems to have all it's actions and icons
doubled... which makes it much to long to fit in the space...

now I fixed this for myself

2- I personally put all the toolbars in a docker, so each one has a named tab in the docker and I put the docker up top where you have the toolbar... I know others like to have them off to one side or floating, etc...
I wonder what you actually intended?

3- just found the same doubled actions and icons for the MIDI Ed. toolbar called MIDI Piano Roll Toolbar....
1. It's like that because it indends to repeat the content on the second monitor (presuming your monitor has the width of 1920). But you should only see what your monitor resolution allows you to see so in theory you shouldn't even be aware there are icons there. This is how it looks on my PC (dual 1920x1080 monitors in native resolution): https://stash.reaper.fm/37149/Screen...2020.46.46.png

2. The idea is to use menus and shortcuts mostly - top toolbar has the common functions that usually appear in other DAWs. REAPER of course has much more stuff than most DAWS, and all of that is in the menus.

3. See answer 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
still looking around but so far appreciating what you have done with menus... pretty nifty
I feel MIDI ripple editing and the menus are a cornerstone of this configuration, at least for me. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Respect for all the effort. This is not an easy task.

Who is addressed by this package? Is this worth a look, when you already have a Reaper config found for yourself or more just for starters?
This is mostly for people doing MIDI work, composing soundtracks and want a DAW for linear music creation with standard MIDI functions available from most other DAWs, recording if needed, importing samples, manipulating them - standard songwriting stuff coupled with mixing tasks.

My inspiration is FL Studio and Cubase and because both of these missed some crucial stuff (MIDI ripple editing for me) I simply decided to rearrange REAPER for myself and in the process, I decided I wanted to have a clean looking and final product - not something I want to upgrade all the time. I'm so satisfied with this that I literally don't feel the need to update or add anything to it. For me, it's a complete DAW that can be most closely compared to Cubase but with much more expanded capabilities.

I think REAPER ReWorked is best for people just starting out with REAPER because it simply has more functionality than standard installation and it is not just all bashed together but ergonomically planned and tried in practice.

So unlike things like ReaMenus which are great, but don't differentiate between working SWS features and broken SWS features, REAPER ReWork tries to have everything in the menus working - and because most of that stuff are existing scripts, new users can also quickly learn coding on many examples.

Existing REAPER users are also invited to try it and take out from the configuration what they like or simply use it if it feels good. It would be a shame to have such an amount of effort hidden in my computer - so it's here and hopefully it can help other people do music more smoothly because that's the whole point - to keep the flow going and not having things break down when the inspiration hits.

Last edited by Breeder; 09-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
hopi

ah thanks for explaining your idea for the menus...
Old 09-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #15
Funkybot

I'd suggest including uninstall instructions if possible. I gave it a quick go and really liked some things but found the look of it completely overwhelming so I wanted to try blending it with aspects of my own configuration and totally borked my install in the process.

Another suggestion, if it makes sense at all, consider a more modular type of install. Like if I could import the menus, maybe not the toolbar, but keep things like the custom scripts/actions into my existing configuration with my overall theme and/or key commands, I'd be in a happy place. Someone might want entirely different elements.

Also, I'm on a widescreen monitor and as a potential bug report: the toolbar along the top of the screen began to repeat itself towards the right edge of my screen.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #16
hopi

Funkybot...

suggest using it in a portable install of reaper for testing

also Breeder explained the long toolbar in a reply to me...

Personally I don't like it that way so it's easy to edit out the repeated actions....
Old 09-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #17
matv

Thanks for sharing your great work
trying to understand the default project
Could you explain it a bit?
matv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #18
rforssell

I think you might need to shorten a few lua script names. In my environment I can't extract some files due to long file names.
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #19
Mottemania

I am totally excited, but unfortunately I cant get it to work. I have a fresh portable install und copied all your files, like it is written in the PDF. But here is wether a message box coming up nor any toolbar. Its just a fresh reaper
Mottemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #20
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforssell View Post
I think you might need to shorten a few lua script names. In my environment I can't extract some files due to long file names.
I always try to make action names as verbose as possible and windows 10 has this new feature that enables using paths longer than 260 characters.

Last edited by Breeder; 09-21-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #21
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I'd suggest including uninstall instructions if possible. I gave it a quick go and really liked some things but found the look of it completely overwhelming so I wanted to try blending it with aspects of my own configuration and totally borked my install in the process.

Another suggestion, if it makes sense at all, consider a more modular type of install. Like if I could import the menus, maybe not the toolbar, but keep things like the custom scripts/actions into my existing configuration with my overall theme and/or key commands, I'd be in a happy place. Someone might want entirely different elements.

Also, I'm on a widescreen monitor and as a potential bug report: the toolbar along the top of the screen began to repeat itself towards the right edge of my screen.
Yeah, I too was thinking about the modular approach, but it requires a big amount of effort to code it and prepare it. Might happen in the future, who knows. The problem is that a lot of things depend on each other and to separate it would take a considerable amount of time I cannot afford right now.

But you should be able to import your own toolbars from an existing installation. Menus and scripts/macros are so interdependent on each other that it would not make sense to separate them. Just import your custom actions and custom toolbars from the existing installation and it should all work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mottemania View Post
I am totally excited, but unfortunately I cant get it to work. I have a fresh portable install und copied all your files, like it is written in the PDF. But here is wether a message box coming up nor any toolbar. Its just a fresh reaper
Install fresh reaper - RUN IT ONCE and close it. Afterward, copy files to folder where you installed REAPER and run it again. You should be notified the initial REAPER ReWorked setup has been completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matv View Post
Thanks for sharing your great work
trying to understand the default project
Could you explain it a bit?
You first need to enable it (Num5 or Alt+A or click this button in MIDI toolbar) and then use keyboard shortcuts to move the notes or drag the position of the notes (I couldn't do it for the rest of the mouse modifiers because REAPER doesn't allow it...so ripple editing works with all keyboard shortcuts to move, position, stretch notes etc...and only works for mouse when selecting and draging notes to change their position).

It's best to right-click the empty piano roll area and go to Editor options -> Numpad editing and just play with it. I use it in tandem with step input mode (turned on by the button next to ripple edit button or Ctrl+Num5 or Ctrl+-). Using both ripple edit and step input enabled practically turns REAPER MIDI Editor into a notation/tab editing tool similar to Guitar Pro or Sibelius.

I have no idea how it feels to you people working with this without any proper manual. I'm sure there will be questions and I will try to answer them as I can but please bear in mind that I simply cannot afford the time to write the proper manual and I will probably pay someone with the money earned to do it. IMHO, it would be best to simply list all the menu entries and toolbar buttons and expand on each of those while explaining little corner cases while at it.

As a side note, because I see a lot of people are complaining (and rightfully so, I don't think it was a good decision on my part) about duplication of toolbar buttons, I've removed the duplication now so free to redownload (or just remove double buttons from Arrange and MIDI Editor Top toolbar). I've also updated the manual to explain how to solve "too long file path" errors.

Last edited by Breeder; 10-04-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #22
rforssell

Quote:
Yeah, I always try to make action names as verbose as possible and windows 10 has this new feature that enables using paths longer than 260 characters.

Thanks for the info! I'll try it out!

/Rickard
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #23
rst

Great work, a lot of good ideas to take.
It would be good to have Lite version, without additional scripts. Based only on original Reaper or maximum on Reaper+SWS.
In current version there is too much stuff, looks a bit overcrowded and feels that some stuff overlaps.
rst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:46 AM   #24
Pashkuli
Banned

I'll take a good look over this Modification of Reaper.
If you do not mind, then I will give my critic remarks from my Point of View.

Edit: here is the first one
~ why is the Premium version so expensive (you can find drum maps for free and converters for free)
Quote:
My personal orchestral template project with more than 600 tracks, tons of FX chains and my own mixer FX rack.
Does this mean there are some custom FX plugins included?
If Yes, then the price might be reasonable. But then you should show us the actual included custom FX plugins.
If Not, then a more reasonable price of around US$20~30 would be ideal.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-19-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #25
Breeder

Quote:
Great work, a lot of good ideas to take.
It would be good to have Lite version, without additional scripts. Based only on original Reaper or maximum on Reaper+SWS.
Thanks!

There seems to be not a lot of activity going on in SWS, so I scripted everything I could instead of relying on SWS. If one day something breaks, both myself and the users can fix stuff through scripts instead of going through hoops to fix SWS stuff. However, because SWS is such a huge and useful extension, a lot of things still depend on it.

Because I contributed to SWS for years, I kinda have a feel what works and what doesn't, so I tried to take that into account to make sure REAPER ReWorked ignores non-working SWS stuff. For example, a lot of SWS/BR envelope actions I wrote at some point break when using automation items - so I re-coded a lot of that stuff through scripts.

Quote:
In current version there is too much stuff, looks a bit overcrowded and feels that some stuff overlaps.
That's intentional. The rationale is that I take frequent breaks from music and I pretty much have to re-learn everything so I like to have everything available everywhere - from functions to shortcuts.

Last edited by Breeder; 09-19-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #26
Breeder

Quote:
I'll take a good look over this Modification of Reaper.
If you do not mind, then I will give my critic remarks from my Point of View.

Edit: here is the first one
~ why is the Premium version so expensive (you can find drum maps for free and converters for free)

Does this mean there are some custom FX plugins included?
If Yes, then the price might be reasonable. But then you should show us the actual included custom FX plugins.
If Not, then a more reasonable price of around US$20~30 would be ideal.
No VST included - just an example of how I have set my template - I remember when I started with my orchestral templates how I desperately wanted to see real-life examples - because I couldn't find a lot of examples online, I thought it would be a good idea to include it for kicks. The real value lies in over 1000 midi drum maps and the fact that you are actually showing some goodwill towards the author. A lot of these drum maps aren't available anywhere besides my site and were made exclusively by me. I never encountered drum maps converters available anywhere so I just wrote my own.

The thing is that I do want to share my configuration, but I also want to encourage some sort of donations and I threw everything that isn't 100% needed for REAPER to function in premium content. I agree with your price assessment - I did lower it just yesterday. This is my first "commercial" product so setting the price was part of the challenge. When you buy premium content, you are supporting REAPER ReWorked - website costs, my time, a fee I will pay to a volunteer who wants to write the manual for it etc...premium content is just an additional gift you receive - but you are actually supporting the whole project by buying it.

Thank you for taking the look.

Last edited by Breeder; 07-21-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #27
JHughes
Banned

Very cool. I'm curious why this was was stickied though.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #28
Pashkuli
Banned

Ah, I see. The download is 187MB (~350MB uncompressed). Wow, that is huge I think. Still will try to see what exactly it does and is it really suitable to orchestral composers (I am not a such).
I use only Addictive Drums. I do not see ant scenario where I would use more than 2-3 drum VST, and the 900 maps - that is really some orchestral percussion happening like EastWest, Kontakt, Vienna Assemblies, etc.

Just installed it. The toolbars on the top are overwhelmingly plentiful!
The Menus organisation is extremely well done! (or maybe because I am from Eastern Europe as well...)
Had to change some paths and dismiss the Default Project template as it's bneen set up to your workflow and with Izone MonitoringFX (I use Sonarworks), also delete the C:\ suggested paths (they do not work for me as I only have Windows OS on my C: drive and nothing else... move most of the folders as Symlinks to sexondary hard-drives)...

Overall, I have to say that you have done amazing job with this Mod of Reaper. Will try it for a month and will donate.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #29
Pashkuli
Banned

Hi, Breeder
I noticed that when I was exploding the channels of a stereo file (aduio clip), the output of the action was 2 separate .wv (WavaPack) files.
Is this something a can change, because I couldn't find any appropriate setting for that behaviour?

i think it used to be .wav by default - what the project render settings are. Not sure though how that is by default in Reaper clean install.
Thanks!

Maybe some quirks will pop up in the near future as well, as I plan to use your ReWorked mod.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 AM   #30
Breeder

Quote:
Ah, I see. The download is 187MB (~350MB uncompressed). Wow, that is huge I think.
I too was surprised. But it's interesting to note that one of the selling points of REAPER is low memory footprint, yet when one customizes it fully its size can end up much more.

Quote:
The Menus organisation is extremely well done! (or maybe because I am from Eastern Europe as well...)
Thank you!
Quote:
Hi, Breeder
I noticed that when I was exploding the channels of a stereo file (aduio clip), the output of the action was 2 separate .wv (WavaPack) files.
Is this something a can change, because I couldn't find any appropriate setting for that behaviour?

i think it used to be .wav by default - what the project render settings are. Not sure though how that is by default in Reaper clean install.
Thanks!

Maybe some quirks will pop up in the near future as well, as I plan to use your ReWorked mod.
It's because of the format set in Project settings under Media/Format for Apply FX, Glue, Freeze. But now that you mention it, maybe it would be better to set default projects to use normal wav.

Thanks for giving it a go man! I hope it's super useful to you!

Quote:
as it's bneen set up to your workflow and with Izone MonitoringFX (I use Sonarworks)
Monitoring FX is per-configuration. So if you edit it, it gets edited for the whole REAPER - it's not dependant on the specific project. I've removed the whole reaper-hwoutfx.ini from REAPER ReWorked now so it doesn't clash with existing setups.

Last edited by Breeder; 09-21-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #31
bFooz

Hi Breeder, this is a really good work. I especially like how all menus labels are so polished and consistent with naming and formatting.

I did my own menus as well and wonder if you used the internal menu editor or some other tool.

Also, how do you approach keeping the menus up to date? I found one thing missing in your menus - "Item - Stretch markers", there is only one mode - "tonal optimized", while in the meantime 3 new modes became available.

One observation - while doing my own menus (and being inspired by Dorico menus) I found that it is better to have items which are not clearly categorised or does not have a strong and clear hierarchy or order sorted alphabetically instead of creating "weak" groups or sorting based on "weak" order. The most obvious example would be the "View" menu with all windows grouped and sorted by a key which is not obvious and not quickly understandable. Also e.g. the top level of "Edit", "Track" and "Arrange" menus. As an example of a menu with a "strong" grouping and order would be "Track-Select".
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #32
bFooz

Maybe you would be interested in this - dropdown menus for toolbar buttons https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210482
Old 09-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #33
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Hi Breeder, this is a really good work. I especially like how all menus labels are so polished and consistent with naming and formatting.

I did my own menus as well and wonder if you used the internal menu editor or some other tool.

Also, how do you approach keeping the menus up to date? I found one thing missing in your menus - "Item - Stretch markers", there is only one mode - "tonal optimized", while in the meantime 3 new modes became available.
Thank you - I've created my own mental paradigm - I call it geometrical sorting - I developed my own rules based on experience. The idea is to make eyes move as smoothly so they can instantly lock to a term one is searching for.

The experience has shown that the more you stop to look at menu entries, the more tired you become - so I tried to minimize stopping of the eyes. Eyes supposedly take in around 90% of information from the environment so if one can make economic decisions here, one should be able to minimize energy loss and prolong the flow by conserving mental energy, at least in theory.

I update menus by hand - and thank you for finding this omission - I had a feeling I missed something in stretch markers and you have found it. I have updated the menus so feel free to redownload. Please note that I also keep full menus set configuration in MenuSets folder called REAPER ReWorked Menu and Toolbar Set.ReaperMenuSet

So you don't have to overwrite the whole folder but only take this menu set and import it into your installation of REAPER ReWorked.

Quote:
One observation - while doing my own menus (and being inspired by Dorico menus) I found that it is better to have items which are not clearly categorised or does not have a strong and clear hierarchy or order sorted alphabetically instead of creating "weak" groups or sorting based on "weak" order. The most obvious example would be the "View" menu with all windows grouped and sorted by a key which is not obvious and not quickly understandable. Also e.g. the top level of "Edit", "Track" and "Arrange" menus. As an example of a menu with a "strong" grouping and order would be "Track-Select".
This is quite similar to my way of thinking - I first create groups of items, them make sure they are sorted in a logical way within themselves and then I make sure they are easy to look at - only then will I consider changing the terms used in menu items to make it more readable

What I have found out is that there aren't a lot of rules one can follow exactly to the letter here, but because menus are a visual thing, it seems good to strive for visually appealing configuration. Experience shows our whole universe is fractal and repeats itself within it so if we go by that theory we can deduct that we can approach the end goal in many ways - I personally pick a visual approach first because I find myself to be a visual type and menus visual type of tool.

Quote:
Maybe you would be interested in this - dropdown menus for toolbar buttons https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210482
Nice. I personally like normal submenus because they seem to be the most transparent. When one introduces separate menus for toolbar buttons, one must also take care to remember which buttons have them. REAPER ReWorked has a lot of stuff in it, and I do not want to trouble the user of remembering this kind of quirks so I opted out for normal submenus because this is targeted for a general audience and I want them to be able to learn REAPER as fast as possible!

Last edited by Breeder; 09-21-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #34
bFooz

Thanks for the ideas.

Regarding a technical side of menu creation, do you use just the internal menu editor or some other tool or mean?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #35
Breeder

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas.

Regarding a technical side of menu creation, do you use just the internal menu editor or some other tool or mean?
Internal menu editor together with Sublime Text. For example, if I want to have a submenu available in multiple places, after creating proper submenu in one place, I just insert empty submenus with separators at other places and then copy-paste entries from that proper submenu to these separator-placeholders using Sublime Text.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #36
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
This is brilliant.

Breeder, is there a way (easy) to implement bFooz's script for all your toolbar icons? I guess I will have to do it manually.
I know most GUI elemetns in Reaper have "right-mouse" click extended options, but making those customised or modifying them completely would be fantastic.

You guys should combine forces together in this.
(I read what reddiesel41264 says about his ReaScript and the GitHub repo he has shared, but I am not that skilful to work with developer tools.)

Request (off-topic):
I had a long time (years) request for an option when one chooses to 'Record: Disable (input monitoring only)' the Rec button icon to become a different icon (like restriction sign or X or even a greyed out icon would work just fine). Example:

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-21-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #37
Breeder

Quote:
This is brilliant.

Breeder, is there a way (easy) to implement bFooz's script for all your toolbar icons? I guess I will have to do it manually.
I know most GUI elemetns in Reaper have "right-mouse" click extended options, but making those customised or modifying them completely would be fantastic.

You guys should combine forces together in this.
(I read what reddiesel41264 says about his ReaScript and the GitHub repo he has shared, but I am not that skilful to work with developer tools.)

It IS brilliant. But I personally can't think of a proper usage for it right now - if I get any good ideas and I find them useful, I will probably implement them. Right now, I do not think feature requests will be taken into consideration unless someone is willing to pay properly for my time here - I'm currently in between changing places of residence and I also have my other projects to attend to - REAPER ReWorked is a big project anyway - I think it's smart to let it cool for a while and let people try and play with it. My first priority is, if it takes off, is to get a volunteer to write a manual for it and pay that person with the part of the money earned. I would rather see REAPER ReWorked stay as it is with a superb manual than to develop features.

Collaboration? Why not, if anyone is serious enough, you can always shoot a PM

Last edited by Breeder; 09-21-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #38
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
It IS brilliant. But I personally can't think of a proper usage for it right now - if I get any good ideas and I find them useful, I will probably implement them. Right now, I do not think feature requests will be taken into consideration unless someone is willing to pay properly for my time here - I'm currently in between changing places of residence and I also have my other projects to attend to - REAPER ReWorked is a big project anyway - I think it's smart to let it cool for a while and let people try and play with it. My first priority is, if it takes off, is to get a volunteer to write a manual for it and pay that person with the part of the money earned. I would rather see REAPER ReWorked stay as it is with a superb manual than to develop features.

Collaboration? Why not, if anyone is serious enough, you can always shoot a PM
Yes, I thought it might not be included and the scripted menus have to be made individually. I understand now, because I am not a developer and know almost next to nothing about coding and scripts.

Need more testing (working with and getting used to your mods). Everything looks very promising! I am hyped!

P.s. Regarding a Manual... I am sceptical about that. Truth is, none reads Manuals unless they hit a brick-wall. I know I rarely do. And I've got most of them even printed out on paper. I do not want to discourage you. You will do what you think it's best for the project.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #39
Triscus

I made a fresh install of Reaper and ReWorked, but the when opening Reaper, the welcome message keeps coming and the Paths are reset to ReWorked-Default.

Besides that, I'm stoked about the extension. I've been fiddling around with reaper for quite a while but wasn't aware it's so cutomizable. I really like the little writing tools like the chord pad or scale finder.

Cheers Triscus
Triscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #40
Breeder

Quote:
P.s. Regarding a Manual... I am sceptical about that. Truth is, none reads Manuals unless they hit a brick-wall. I know I rarely do. And I've got most of them even printed out on paper. I do not want to discourage you. You will do what you think it's best for the project.
Really? I always read manuals, maybe not as a book, but to get a general sense for more "hidden" features of the program. Well, I have no idea where this will lead - I'm just happy I finally published it and I will be really glad if this helps us create more music for this beautiful world. I would be as much hyped to see this useful to other people so thank you one more time for giving it a go.

P.S.
For people buying premium content - I'm having problems with Weebly download service so I sorted it by sending you links to dropbox instead. Sorry about the trouble, I hope Weebly fixes it soon.