Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #81
poplomop
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
V5 does exactly the same thing. What has changed here is the resizeable rate fader, and to fix that its going to need to not do what V5 did, one way or another.
Ah okay I vote for #1 or #3 of the 3 options you listed.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #82
poetnprophet

Mixer layout, narrow/strip, with auto width when track rec-armed. There is a visual glitch as soon as you arm a track, see image. When you click another track it goes away, or basically click anywhere else.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #83
krahosk

Default MIDI Editor

Just toggling between the tracks. We can barely distinguish the MIDI CCs from the background. The notes aren't very legible.
Currently at "Source" color mode, the others are quite similar in legibility.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #84
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Just toggling between the tracks. We can barely distinguish the MIDI CCs from the background. The notes aren't very legible.
I believe the midi color map and editor layout will be further revised, but at a later stage. Until then I've made a different color map. Feel free to download and use :

Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #85
Tomm

Quote:
No feature requests in this thread please folks.
Why not call this "beta" then? Alpha suggests new features are still being added.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #86
Triode

Feature requests probably refer to Reaper rather than the skin for Reaper
Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 AM   #87
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
I believe the midi color map and editor layout will be further revised, but at a later stage. Until then I've made a different color map. Feel free to download and use :

How do I download and use that midi color map please?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #88
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
How do I download and use that midi color map please?
Right-click the colormap, insert the file into the theme or go to Preferences->MIDI Editor->Browse... and choose that file. Restart REAPER.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #89
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Right-click the colormap, insert the file into the theme or go to Preferences->MIDI Editor->Browse... and choose that file. Restart REAPER.
Thank you
Old 07-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #90
ivansc

rameses: +
Old 07-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #91
musicbynumbers

Default ARGH! :)

The various settings we can set in the theme adjuster still randomly reset themselves from time to time.

I've tried saving it in every form I know off and nothing works.

It can be fine for quite a few loads of the same project with reaper on and off between and then all of sudden my track names shrink and then I know it's reset.

Is it a bug only devs can fix? should I post in pre release area directly about this?
Old 07-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #92
MRMJP

Is there a simple way to make it so selected items have less of a white haze to them? I don't remember it being that extreme in the previous 6.0 alpha.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #93
Triode

I think that's an edit to the item select bg image. Can't remember the precise name but I'm sure someone will chime in
Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #94
BlackBart

A few notes after using this new theme for awhile:
1) The script is coming along nicely. More useful and way less buggy...Xlnt!
2) Having the track panel folder creation/expand/collapse icons position be scriptable would be great. I miss it being on the right
3) If the color palette will be tweaked, my 2 cents...the backgrounds feel just a bit too dark. I like the softness...especially compared to previous default themes...but contrast and visibility are being sacrificed, especially in the midi editor.
4) The arrange page is starting to look cluttered. The Fx and Env buttons seem over-engineered.
------------------------
All-in-all, great work, and I hope my feedback helps in some fashion.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:42 AM   #95
SubbaseDnB

This is really coming along nicely
Old 07-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #96
musicbynumbers

not sure why but trying to load the theme adjuster now brings up this error...

"Default_6.0 theme adjuster.lua:190: attempt to concatenate a nil value"

Anything I can do to fix this my end?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:04 AM   #97
musicbynumbers

and now it works again today! not sure why..

BUT....

It still doesn't save the settings no matter what I do! argh!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #98
Steven Jay Cohen

I record spoken word projects (including audiobooks) with Reaper. So, my usual workflow may be atypical, but, I just have to say that this theme is a huge improvement for both myself and the talent that I record in studio.

It does a fantastic job of making its functions clear while not demanding too much focus and thus detracting from the script. WhiteTie, I applaud your work on this one!

We had been using your earlier Bespoke theme in studio, but this is a dream theme for our needs. Thank you!

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Old 08-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #99
musicbynumbers

Just to ask again..

Is anyone else finding that the theme settings don't seem to stick for very long (the ones in the script for track name length etc).

Has anyone found a solution to this?

If not. White tie. Can this get brought to Justin's attention as it would be amazing if it reliably kept the settings.

I'm happy if it's just me if someone has a solution though as it's resetting in projects that I set up loads of times so it seems it's a global reset somehow.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #100
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

OK, I've tried this several ways and this seems like the best compromise - the squashing thing, as discussed:

I mean, it obviously looks wrong and bad. However, I feel it is still informative because hopefully the user will realise its doing its best with minimum width and a huge rate fader, and therefore the user should fix one of those two conditions. I feel that is better than hiding things, which preserves niceness of appearance but leaves the user with no clue as to where their elements have gone.

Dissenting voices please speak up, otherwise I'll put this in; there's a still a lot to do to make it work with centred transport etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Mixer layout, narrow/strip, with auto width when track rec-armed. There is a visual glitch as soon as you arm a track, see image. When you click another track it goes away, or basically click anywhere else.
Yes, there are all kinds of redraw glitches. I think we need to put up with these for now, because the theme needs to be further along to be a reliable testbed for these things (which are new Reaper functionality) and because Justin is already very busy with efficiency work on base panel redraw stuff, as you will notice in the pres.

If you could be patient and continue to test around such annoyances, I'd much appreciate it. And sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Everything in the Midi editor is just placeholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
The various settings we can set in the theme adjuster still randomly reset themselves from time to time.

I've tried saving it in every form I know off and nothing works.

It can be fine for quite a few loads of the same project with reaper on and off between and then all of sudden my track names shrink and then I know it's reset.
Quote:
Just to ask again..

Is anyone else finding that the theme settings don't seem to stick for very long (the ones in the script for track name length etc).

Has anyone found a solution to this?

If not. White tie. Can this get brought to Justin's attention as it would be amazing if it reliably kept the settings.

I'm happy if it's just me if someone has a solution though as it's resetting in projects that I set up loads of times so it seems it's a global reset somehow.
While it certainly needs fixing one way or another, it would be useful if you could keep an eye out for why its happening. Please go to your REAPER resource path and take a look at the file 'reaper-themeconfig.ini' - that is where the script stores its values. Do you see anything strange going on with that? If you change values, do they change there? If you then restart Reaper have they changed back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Is there a simple way to make it so selected items have less of a white haze to them? I don't remember it being that extreme in the previous 6.0 alpha.
I am balancing user brightness preferences for selected state. There have been a lot of requests for more obvious selected state; that is what you are seeing. If you could please post a screenshot that demonstrates why you think I have gone to far, that would really help as the counter-position.

Quote:
not sure why but trying to load the theme adjuster now brings up this error...

"Default_6.0 theme adjuster.lua:190: attempt to concatenate a nil value"

Anything I can do to fix this my end?
No, that's definitely a me thing not a you thing. Please let me know more details, because that's a strange one. Have you been moving any files around? Are you on a portable install? Is your house located on the site of an ancient burial ground?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #101
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
OK, I've tried this several ways and this seems like the best compromise - the squashing thing, as discussed:

I mean, it obviously looks wrong and bad. However, I feel it is still informative because hopefully the user will realise its doing its best with minimum width and a huge rate fader, and therefore the user should fix one of those two conditions. I feel that is better than hiding things, which preserves niceness of appearance but leaves the user with no clue as to where their elements have gone.
Totally with you on this !!

Been watching this develop, it's getting really, really, good -- cheers
Old 08-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #102
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Totally with you on this !!

Been watching this develop, it's getting really, really, good -- cheers
It's getting better every day. Amazing work WT!!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #103
poplomop

Thanks for the fix! Lookin good. ✌️
Old 08-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #104
Edison

Quote:
That's not a bug, its just icon I came up with to represent 'play state as text'. Please let me know if you can think of a better one
Hi, White Tie

I thought I'd already sent a suggestion about it, but I can't find it. So here's a suggestion.

Keep [=] and insert lines or line indicating text. Or keep only [ ] because the text in front of this window is enlightening.

What do you think?

Last edited by Edison; 08-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #105
musicbynumbers

Thanks White Tie.

I'll check what's happening with that file when editing the theme and let you know. I don't think it's any of the things you mentioned apart from maybe an admin rights thing and permission in user area... will check

The other bug with loading the theme editor stopped happening after I restarted my pc the next day so a bit weird but gone now.. will let you know if it comes back
Old 08-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #106
Steven Jay Cohen

Quote:
There are some workflows that involve reaper having less than half of the width of a screen. For that use case, I do think that you should consider hiding elements.

In my case, the DAW can share the screen with a manuscript PDF. I am guessing that others may have sheet music up. And, if the PDF needs more of the screen for whatever reason, hiding elements by importance would be helpful.

In my case, it would be nice to still see the current time from the ruler displayed, even when everything else aside from the actual transport controls are hidden.

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Old 08-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #107
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Just to be clear, it already does all of that:

...what we're talking about here is the particular combination of the transport being docked in the main window (so not in a docker or floating), and that main window being teeny weeny, and the user choosing a giant rate fader, and the user not figuring out where all their stuff went
Old 08-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #108
Steven Jay Cohen

Quote:
Just to be clear, it already does all of that:
Odd. This is what I'm seeing. Any idea why?
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (22.0 KB, 501 views)

Old 08-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #109
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jay Cohen View Post
Odd. This is what I'm seeing. Any idea why?
Because I haven't finished & posted the updated version yet
Old 08-08-2019, 05:09 AM   #110
hwhalen

Default Easily modified & quite good looking

I've developed a couple of themes for my own use because I was not a fan of the version 5 default.

I'd like to say that this theme will be excellent.
Not only will it look good, it will be easily modified.

The coding is such that changing the XXX_% layouts to a size that meets an individual need is very clear, and this is only one of the customizable options that theme developers can take advantage of.

Some mods will be available to folks who do not theme while many other customization options will be available to myself and other people who do.

I've only scratched the surface as the theme is in development.
A Tip of My Hat...Congrats White Tie on designing what is proving to be a lovely and flexible theme.

It follows The Reaper mold...gives us a good starting point and allows us to bend it to our desire!
Old 08-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #111
Steven Jay Cohen

DO'OH!!! *sigh*
Quote:

Old 08-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #112
Reflected

my favorite theme by far. finally i can use the default theme and stick to it with joy!

everything looks so clear and attractive
i'm addicted.

keep up the good work WT
can't wait for the next update!
Old 08-10-2019, 02:30 AM   #113
ivansc

Quote:
Old 08-10-2019, 05:20 AM   #114
musicbynumbers

Hi White Tie.

Just to report on my findings with theme not saving.

It seems to not always saved to that file if you are saving a new theme name like adding an increment number on the file name for iterations etc.

I've managed to get it saved to that file now but not sure quite how will try somethings out and let you know!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #115
musicbynumbers

following on from me messing about. It seems like it always takes the initial "6.0" settings at the top from that file and not the ones saved that reference the latest theme save name (at the bottom).

I think it worked when I copy and pasted the settings from bottom of file to the top.

I'll test again but that might be it?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #116
SmajjL

*Doh!* Did not know we had Aware + Ignore, now I can have back small if I like.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #117
pipelineaudio
Mortal

For a lot of people tracking multiple tracks at a time, the meter peak readout is EXTREMELY important!

If there can be things done to keep those from being hidden when sessions are reopened that would be very ,very appreciated
Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #118
Steven Jay Cohen

White Tie,

Have you considered putting the default theme in a folder on the development server?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #119
Otto Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
For a lot of people tracking multiple tracks at a time, the meter peak readout is EXTREMELY important!

If there can be things done to keep those from being hidden when sessions are reopened that would be very ,very appreciated
^^This. Specific use case: 8-12 simultaneous inputs, sound check recording. Here I'm not looking at the relative levels of the tracks as when mixing. I might be walking around the room adjusting mics or whatever, but at the end of the check song I want to see that my highest peaking track is at -5 or whatever. If I want that track hitting even higher than others on straight playback after a second recording, this is crucial information to tell me that I need to turn all the other tracks down at the preamp rather than turning this one up or whatever conclusion I might draw.

Otherwise, using this theme since it came out and find it very intuitive as you get used to it, and love the v6 colors.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #120
pipelineaudio
Mortal

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPR...PkNjJW1gw/live

Tons of mics going on this, so yeah! Peak readouts please!!!
Closed Thread