Old 05-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #121
Michael Willis
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Michael, just to let you know I'm seeing the same thing with the new Dragonfly Room. But as I said before, it's probably a problem my end.

Widows 10 Home 64 bit.
REAPER latest 5.975 (64 bit)
Yeah, sorry about this. I've only had a couple of people report this, I can only guess it has something to do with your video hardware or drivers.
Michael Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #122
Michael Willis

Yet another beta release, 1.9.3 is now available!

I'm really excited about this one, the performance is significantly better on my machine. Please let me know how it goes.

P.S. I got feedback on another forum that the late reverb in Dragonfly Room is a bit more quiet than Dragonfly Hall. Does anybody here have any opinions on that? I haven't really compared them side-by-side much, since I consider them to have different purposes, but I might add a bit of gain to Dragonfly Room if that is really the case.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #123
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post
P.S. I got feedback on another forum that the late reverb in Dragonfly Room is a bit more quiet than Dragonfly Hall. Does anybody here have any opinions on that?
I talked to you a bit via email about Dragonfly Room (sent you a clip with a little blues guitar, if that rings a bell). The late reflection gain seemed fine to me. But maybe it depends on the specific use case.

Thanks again for your work.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #124
hopi

thanks for these... nice verbs and great for free!
You are doing a fine service to the audio community
Old 05-08-2019, 01:11 AM   #125
sub26nico

Quote:
Yet another beta release, 1.9.3 is now available!

I'm really excited about this one, the performance is significantly better on my machine. Please let me know how it goes.

P.S. I got feedback on another forum that the late reverb in Dragonfly Room is a bit more quiet than Dragonfly Hall. Does anybody here have any opinions on that? I haven't really compared them side-by-side much, since I consider them to have different purposes, but I might add a bit of gain to Dragonfly Room if that is really the case.
Thanks Michael Willis, 1.9.3-beta works fine in my first tests.
Dragonfly room sounds good. And DragonFly Hall cost no more cpu than previous release.
Question : why some parameters are in % (Wander, Bass Boost) ?
Once again, thanks a lot.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #126
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
Thanks Michael Willis, 1.9.3-beta works fine in my first tests.
Dragonfly room sounds good. And DragonFly Hall cost no more cpu than previous release.
Thanks for testing! Again, please don't use Dragonfly Room for any serious projects, it's not quite stable yet, I'm still making changes that might break sessions that use Dragonfly Room 1.9.x, it will be stable when I release 2.0.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
Question : why some parameters are in % (Wander, Bass Boost) ?
Spin and Wander are implemented differently in ProG than they were in Hibiki. Specifically, Hibiki measured wander in milliseconds, but ProG's wander is a number from 0.0 to 1.0, which I interpret as being a percentage from 0 to 100.

Similarly, ProG's "BASF" parameter (the bass boost factor) is a decimal number without a specified unit of measurement, so I interpreted that to be a percentage. You can sort of think of it as being similar to the multipliers in Dragonfly Hall, where 0% boost is like 1x, 50% boost is 1.5x, and 100% boost is 2x. It's not quite linear like that, and results are very different depending on decay time and boost frequency.

I'm still experimenting with the boost, please expect some changes to the way it behaves. I found a way to change the frequency range of the boost, so the next release will likely have a new dial called "boost band"
Old 05-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #127
Michael Willis

Beta release 1.9.4 is available, with three new dials in Dragonfly Room: Input LPF, Output LPF, and Boost Band (frequency bandwidth of the bass boost feature).

I've already had somebody report that the LPFs don't apply to the early reflection, I'll see what I can do about implementing that in v1.9.5; please let me know any other feedback, I'm hoping to stabilize this soon and call it v2.0.0.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #128
Michael Willis

Beta release 1.9.5 is hot off the press. Dragonfly Room's Output LPF previously only applied to the late output, now it applies to both early and late.

Also, the following parameters have been exposed to the DAW (They aren't visible in the GUI, as they are considered more advanced features, and I don't think the GUI needs any more complication):
  • Early Send (Dragonfly Hall and Dragonfly Room)
  • Spin Factor (Dragonfly Hall)
  • LFO Factor (Dragonfly Hall)
The latter two will hopefully be useful to increase or decrease the "tape flutter" effect that some people have noticed in Dragonfly Hall.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #129
androo

Wow, this sounds very nice. Thank you very much.
Cheers!
androo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #130
Michael Willis

Beta release 1.9.6 is here.

This one includes several bug fixes, a change in the damper/lpf dials, and a new look for Dragonfly Room:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #131
Xasman

Quote:
Thank you - Love the new look of Dragonfly Room!

One little buglet perhaps - when reloading a project saved in Linux Reaper 5.978 with the previous version of Dragonfly Room, the DelayTime/Frequency Display appears completely white. It's easily solved by re-loading the plug-in but there's then a danger of losing your settings if not saved into a preset.

It's a very minor issue, I know, but just wanted to let you know anyway.

Excellent work you're doing with this, Michael - thanks again.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #132
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Thank you - Love the new look of Dragonfly Room!

One little buglet perhaps...
Oh! I'm sorry, I should have mentioned this. While this is in beta, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to load past sessions. This is a problem with the way that VST parameters work, they have to be arranged in the same order for a previously saved session to load properly. While in beta, I'm still messing around with the parameters, and changing how they work.

I did say:
Quote:
please don't use Dragonfly Room for any serious projects, it's not quite stable yet
...but I should have made it more clear that sessions won't necessarily work between beta releases.

Once I make the official 2.0.0 release, I will take care that future versions of Dragonfly Room remain backward compatible.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #133
Xasman

Quote:
Oh! I'm sorry, I should have mentioned this. While this is in beta, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to load past sessions.
I see. OK - that's perfectly understandable.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #134
philper

Thanks for this--very well thought out, world- class interface.
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #135
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I was using it a mix and when I opened up the project it filled my headphones with loud white noise. Thankfully I wasn't using my monitors.

I traced it back to Dragonfly. Not sure why it happened. I'm on a Mac.
So... uh... better late than never, I *think* that this bug might be fixed. At one point I found a fairly consistent way to reproduce a bug that caused a horrible feedback effect, but I haven't experienced in the latest beta releases, and I had somebody else report that the bug is gone for them too.

Last edited by Michael Willis; 05-17-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #136
JamesPeters

With Linux VST version 1.9.3 of Dragonfly Room, when I was doing comparison testing today (to the latest version), it slowly gained feedback and I turned the plugin off before the sound got too loud and started clipping. The settings I was using were fairly normal.

I would have reported it, but it seems that problem does not happen with 1.9.4 and on.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #137
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
With Linux VST version 1.9.3 of Dragonfly Room, when I was doing comparison testing today (to the latest version), it slowly gained feedback and I turned the plugin off before the sound got too loud and started clipping. The settings I was using were fairly normal.

I would have reported it, but it seems that problem does not happen with 1.9.4 and on.
Ahh, yes, that one. I've experienced that quite a bit during the development of Dragonfly Room. It's a flaw in the ProG algorithm, there are certain combinations of parameters that result in a low hum feedback. You will notice that the first change after 1.9.3-beta is called "Several adjustments to dials, presets, etc.", part of which was trying to eliminate this problem without constraining freedom too much:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dra...commits/master
Old 05-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #138
pingosimon

I don't really have anything to add, but I've been following and updating for the past few betas, and I love this plugin!

About a year ago I fell in love with convolution reverb (it's just better for most of what I do), but Dragonfly sounds so good, it might make me bring algorithmic reverb back into the mix.
pingosimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #139
batcat

Michael, your Dragonfly reverb is fantastic!
I'm getting great sounding results on a snare send.
Dragonfly Hall preset:
Rooms - Bright Room (almost stock settings)
dry - 0
early - 10
late - 50

The only little problem is the eq control section where a low or high cut would be easier to understand. I use an eq before and after Dragonfly on the send to cut the lows and add some highs. And then last some compression.
For the song I'm mixing now, Dragonfly easily competes with my Lexicons, Exponential audio, Fabfilter R and valhalla reverbs. They all sound great in the mix.
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #140
Stringer

Default And in Linux!

And it works in Linux too! It's just lovely!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #141
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingosimon View Post
Dragonfly sounds so good, it might make me bring algorithmic reverb back into the mix.
Thanks! Both convolution and algorithmic reverb have their place, each can do things that can't be done by the other, for example dragonfly has modulation features that wouldn't make sense in a convolution reverb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
The only little problem is the eq control section where a low or high cut would be easier to understand.
Are you talking about the eq controls of Dragonfly Hall or Dragonfly Room? The former does have low cut and high cut.

Dragonfly Room has three damper dials which more or less act as a gentle high cut on different parts of the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
And it works in Linux too! It's just lovely!
I'm glad to hear that you like it! My initial goal with this project was just to have a decent hall reverb available on Linux. I thought it would take a few weekends; how hard could it be? Here we are 18 months later and I'm still puttering about with it.

Last edited by Michael Willis; 05-22-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #142
batcat

Sorry I wasn't clear, yes I meant the Dragonfly Room reverb.
Having the same low & high cut eq section as the Hall reverb would be nice, but that is not any problem at all for me.
In most reverbs which all have different eq sections, I put an eq on the reverb send before the reverb so I have more concistancy of what the eq is doing, like slope and que values.
I also really like the design and looks of the Dragonfly reverbs.
Keep up the great work!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #143
AnalogDomain

I'm really liking the results I get with this reverb, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the modulation portion of the effect.
AnalogDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #144
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDomain View Post
I'm really liking the results I get with this reverb, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the modulation portion of the effect.
For Dragonfly Hall, you can click the UI button in Reaper to hide the GUI and present the controls. A couple extras are there, at the bottom. Turn those down.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #145
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDomain View Post
Are you using the latest beta release? If so, which plugin are you using, the room or hall one?

If you're using the latest Dragonfly Hall, there are two a hidden parameters called Spin Factor and LFO Factor. I'm not sure how to get to them in REAPER as I'm not a regular REAPER user, but most DAWs and plugin hosts have some generic way of manipulating plugin parameters without using the plugin's graphical interface. Try setting one or both of those to zero and see if you are more happy with the results.

Edit: Ha! James and I both wrote the same answer at the same time.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #146
Michael Willis

Beta release 1.9.7 is now available.

I think it's getting close to the point that I can call it 2.0.0 and stop messing around with these dials. Other than addressing any more feedback that I get from the community, the only other thing I'm considering changing is swapping out the "Boost Band" dial for a "Low Cut" dial like Dragonfly Hall has. I kind of like the ability to change the frequency band of the boost feature, but I'm wondering if a low cut dial would be more widely useful.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #147
Michael Willis

Please try Beta release 1.9.9. Several changes since the last update. Both plugins now have a new slider "Early Send" that controls how much of the early reflection signal is mixed into the input to the late algorithm. Dragonfly Room now has both High Cut and Low Cut. Dragonfly Hall has a "Flutter" dial that controls the level of modulation; this will be simply renamed to "Modulation" for the 2.0.0 release in order to better follow existing conventions in other reverbs.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #148
sub26nico

Quote:
Please try Beta release 1.9.9. Several changes since the last update. Both plugins now have a new slider "Early Send" that controls how much of the early reflection signal is mixed into the input to the late algorithm. Dragonfly Room now has both High Cut and Low Cut. Dragonfly Hall has a "Flutter" dial that controls the level of modulation; this will be simply renamed to "Modulation" for the 2.0.0 release in order to better follow existing conventions in other reverbs.
I have already test it and it works nicely (for the few things I've done).
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #149
JamesPeters

Quote:
STOP RUINING IT BY MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES!!!

These are awesome now. Everyone: download them!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #150
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
STOP RUINING IT BY MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES!!!
You're not my mom.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #151
JamesPeters

Quote:
You're not my mom.
You don't know that.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #152
ivansc

Thanks as usual. Find myself reaching for this more & more often.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #153
Michael Willis

2.0.0 release candidate is now available. If no major bugs are reported, this will be promoted to an official 2.0.0 release.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #154
MrMoto

Thank you for your effort, Michael. It is much appreciated. I have followed this thread for a long time, and never commented. That needs to change. Dragonfly is quickly becoming one of my favorite verbs. Great work!
Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #155
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto View Post
Dragonfly is quickly becoming one of my favorite verbs. Great work!
Thanks! What kind of music are you making? I initially imagined Dragonfly being useful mostly for acoustic instruments and virtual orchestration, but I've been surprised at how many different ways people are using it.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #156
JamesPeters

That's the thing with a very good sounding and flexible reverb: you can use it for lots of things. Some of the sounds I want are far less realistic than you'd have imagined it being used, but they're still really good sounds. The increased decay time and improved LPF controls helped a lot for the big/warm "fake reverb" sounds I sometimes like, for instance. I can get "big poofy" exaggerated Lexicon-type sounds or I can get more intimate/realistic room sounds, and so on.

When the reverb doesn't sound as nice in different settings, that's when you tend to use it more for one thing or another.

And that's why I had told you I used ProG for "hall"-type sounds despite Hibiki being more intended for that purpose. ProG's algorithm works really well for hall sounds too, just differently from Hibiki.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #157
MrMoto

Quote:
Thanks! What kind of music are you making? I initially imagined Dragonfly being useful mostly for acoustic instruments and virtual orchestration, but I've been surprised at how many different ways people are using it.
What kind of music? That's a difficult question to answer. I have explored many different musical genres along the way. From classical to Techno and Folk to Ambient. I do agree though that acoustic instruments is where Dragonfly shines, but I have used it on drums and synthesizers too. I like to experiment. :-)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #158
Michael Willis

Getting ready for the 2.0.0 release, I have started working on publishing manuals for both plugins. Thanks to a lot of help from a technical writer named Chris Share, the current draft of the manual for Dragonfly Hall Reverb is here:

https://michaelwillis.github.io/drag...ll-manual.html

Any feedback is welcome. The manual for Dragonfly Room should be available soon. Hopefully these manuals will be helpful in clarifying how to use some of the features.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #159
Michael Willis

I just published a draft of the Dragonfly Room Reverb manual:

https://michaelwillis.github.io/drag...om-manual.html

As always, feedback is welcome.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #160
Michael Willis

Version 2.0.0 is now official, and finally there is a proper landing page: