Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
Steviebone
Human being with feelings

Default Dante, MADI DAW solutions

I currently have my Daw running 36 channels of a ADAT optical using Profire light-bridges. Because of ASIO limitations this limits me to a maximum of 34 simultaneous inputs. So far I've still not found a feasible way to stack units for more inputs and outputs simultaneously. Don't bother telling me about ASIO4All. It is not sufficient for my needs. Neither is WDM.

The ADAT standard is likely going bye-bye anyway. I've been researching Dante and MADI solutions. Although the Dante software is economical there's too much latency for a Daw application. At least that's been my initial experience.

I have computers that run as sound generators and feed the 32 digital inputs of the Daw. To expand I'm going to have to either find a way to stack ASIO devices (not doable i think) or move to a Dante or MADI system. As computers continue to get faster with more cores at some point I will be able to do everything that I need to do in a single box which makes investment in expensive Dante or MADI hardware pointless. In fact, it may be cheaper for me to put my money into building such a system rather than trying to find a way to increase the number of inputs above 34 in the existing system.

While searching for MADI or Dante enabled hardware I only became confused. Very little information out there as it relates to studio Daw work. All of these solutions appeared very expensive, way more expensive than building a massive Daw machine.

Anybody here using MADI or DANTE enabled hardware with their Daw for more than a handful of inputs? If so, what hardware are you using and what are the limitations that you run up against?

It may be time for me to abandon my brute force approach, simplify a bit and simply build an expensive single host that can do most everything in the box. This would also have the added benefit of reduced latency for tracking. What do you think?
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
poetnprophet

What is your current interface? Have you looked into AVB? Newer Motu interfaces have this network audio called AVB, and you get 64 channels per each unit, connect with cat6 cable, can stack devices for more (I am not sure up to how many, I think 384 channels?) and doesn't take any special computer components unlike Dante. And latency is on par with RME and Lynx.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet
doesn't take any special computer components unlike Dante.
It does however require an AVB enabled network switch. Which is more expensive that it should be.

For good latency performance Dante requires expensive hardware in your computer.

One way or another cost is involved. I think AVB is the best option for real time audio. Dante is great for its ability to use commodity hardware if you don't care about latency, but still requires expensive hardware if you do.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
poetnprophet

It does need an expensive switch if you have more than 2 devices, but you can connect 2 motu interfaces together out of the box.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
analogexplosions

I am using a Dante setup right now with Dante Virtual Soundcard. Latency performance is totally acceptable for some uses, but it'd need to be lower if say, I were tracking a whole band.

I'm about to get the RME Digiface Dante to replace DVS. RME's TotalMix software combined with their ARC USB replaces the need for a monitor controller and can do loopback too! I am loving the Dante ecosystem so far. Everything has been totally reliable and I love that I can just use off the shelf cat6 cables and switches.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I had some major showstoppers with Dante Hardware and had to go back to a USB interface, but Audinate and Focusrite have both been able to repro the issue so, fingers crossed they can fix it.

The RME Digiface Dante looks really good as it can run on a laptop, if I had a do over, I'd probably go that route
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
I currently have my Daw running 36 channels of a ADAT optical using Profire light-bridges. Because of ASIO limitations this limits me to a maximum of 34 simultaneous inputs. So far I've still not found a feasible way to stack units for more inputs and outputs simultaneously. Don't bother telling me about ASIO4All. It is not sufficient for my needs. Neither is WDM.

The ADAT standard is likely going bye-bye anyway. I've been researching Dante and MADI solutions. Although the Dante software is economical there's too much latency for a Daw application. At least that's been my initial experience.

I have computers that run as sound generators and feed the 32 digital inputs of the Daw. To expand I'm going to have to either find a way to stack ASIO devices (not doable i think) or move to a Dante or MADI system. As computers continue to get faster with more cores at some point I will be able to do everything that I need to do in a single box which makes investment in expensive Dante or MADI hardware pointless. In fact, it may be cheaper for me to put my money into building such a system rather than trying to find a way to increase the number of inputs above 34 in the existing system.

While searching for MADI or Dante enabled hardware I only became confused. Very little information out there as it relates to studio Daw work. All of these solutions appeared very expensive, way more expensive than building a massive Daw machine.

Anybody here using MADI or DANTE enabled hardware with their Daw for more than a handful of inputs? If so, what hardware are you using and what are the limitations that you run up against?

It may be time for me to abandon my brute force approach, simplify a bit and simply build an expensive single host that can do most everything in the box. This would also have the added benefit of reduced latency for tracking. What do you think?
we've discussed this topic with you extensively in several threads recently (among a few others):

is there anything on the subject you need to know that we didn't cover? What has kept you from doing the transition do Dante in the meantime?