Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 AM   #1
cubic13
Human being with feelings

Default CubicPack3...

Hi, all

CubicPack2 was ageing and probably too complicated to install. So, here is a new version which replaces it, with four updated themes in each of the two packs. The main differences from its predecessor are :

- The audio type of tracks is now the default. There are still layouts to have tracks without header, though.
- The icons graphic files in the official list have been integrated in each theme, this to allow the display of Reaper default main toolbar.
- No more scripts, added commands and .ini files : let’s make things simple, for now. Maybe I'll reintegrate them, at a point...
- The themes have been designed to be used with the -72/+6 dB volume fader range (Preferences>Appearance>Track Control Panels), but there are now duplicated layouts for the mixer that allow the use of a -72/+12dB one.
- Use of some recently released theming features (_norec png files...).
- Numerous graphic and Walter changes, especially on what was the Frema equivalent. I lost the track of all what have been tweaked, edited, redesigned and rewritten during the four last months...

The links :
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2310/CubicPack3.zip
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2309/C...DarkThemes.zip

Hope it will be useful for some of you...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-09-2019 at 03:41 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
+NRG

Beautiful work as always! B)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
johnnynash

Beautiful work!
johnnynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Hi, all

CubicPack2 was ageing and probably too complicated to install. So, here is a new version which replaces it, with four updated themes in each of the two packs. The main differences from its predecessor are :

- The audio type of tracks is now the default. There are still layouts to have tracks without header, though.
- The icons graphic files in the official list have been integrated in each theme, this to allow the display of Reaper default main toolbar.
- No more scripts, added commands and .ini files : let’s make things simple, for now. Maybe I'll reintegrate them, at a point...
- The themes have been designed to be used with the -72/+6 dB volume fader range (Preferences>Appearance>Track Control Panels), but there are now duplicated layouts for the mixer that allow the use of a -72/+12dB one.
- Use of some recently released theming features (_norec png files...).
- Numerous graphic and Walter changes, especially on what was the Frema equivalent. I lost the track of all what have been tweaked, edited, redesigned and rewritten during the four last months...

The links :
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2310/CubicPack3.zip
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2309/C...DarkThemes.zip

Hope it will be useful for some of you...
Very nice. It's what Cubase wishes it looked like. Easy on the eyes, great detail, nice colors. It's the first time I've used your themes, I can't see any meter reading feedback. Which TCP / MCP layout would show that?

Edit: just had to make the MCP tracks taller and the meter readout appears.

Last edited by talustalus; 04-09-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: fixerror
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
cubic13

@+NRG & johnnynash
Thanks to both of you...

@talustalus
Thanks also.
Concerning the "meter feedback", do you mean the peak values ? They appear only for "large" mixer layouts (due to a theming limitation : if the meter width is under 21 pixels, the value display might be truncated, so I disabled the peak values display for "narrow" layouts of CubeX, as well as for the Cube6 themes).
Otherwise, and for the "R" versions of CubeX themes (the ones which have redimensionable mixer panels), the peak values are displayed for every panels height, here, even when shrinking a panel until a knob appear instead of the fader thumb. Let me know if there is still a problem...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-09-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
talustalus

Quote:
@+NRG & johnnynash
Thanks to both of you...

@talustalus
Thanks also.
Concerning the "meter feedback", do you mean the peak values ? They appear only for "large" mixer layouts (due to a theming limitation : if the meter width is under 21 pixels, the value display might be truncated, so I disabled the peak values display for "narrow" layouts of CubeX, as well as for the Cube6 themes).
Otherwise, and for the "R" versions of CubeX themes (the ones which have redimensionable mixer panels), the peak values are displayed for every panels height, here, even when shrinking a panel until a knob appear instead of the fader thumb. Let me know if there is still a problem...
Cool, that describes my experience. Very nice overall.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
LCipher

awesome! I'll have to try this version .

Been using the previous Cubic for years on a daily basis. GREAT theme.

Love the look of Cubasis but REAPER works so much faster - this is the perfect combination.
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
vanhaze

Oustanding Theme work as always, thank you so much for the updates !!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Delucci

Nice!! Thanks for the update, I'll check it.
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #10
talustalus

Quote:
@+NRG & johnnynash
Thanks to both of you...

@talustalus
Thanks also.
Actually, I had re-read your description. I think I'm supposed to see the peak values on any non-narrow MCP layout on the non-X themes, but I can't. Maybe because I'm on a 4k? I don't know.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 10.48.49 AM.png (57.5 KB, 629 views)
Old 04-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
cubic13

Thanks again to you all...

@talustalus
I wrote it in an ambiguous way previously, sorry. Actually, I also had to disable the peak values display for the Cube6 themes range because the meters don't have the necessary width to display the peak values in all cases (14 pixels, as there must be 21).

If you are not afraid to tweak the theme, you can partially solve this on your end (allowing a display on 14 pixels) :

1) Make a copy of the Cube6.ReaperThemeZip theme file in a safe place, change its extension to .zip and unzip it.
2) You should now have both a Cube6 folder (containing all the graphic files) and a Cube6.ReaperTheme file (the one containing the settings adjusted in the Theme development/tweaker window).
3) In the folder, there is a rtconfig.txt file which contains all the Walter instructions of the theme and can be edited with a raw text editor (Notepad or equivalent) : open it.
4) Edit the line #359 which contain this :

Code:
set mcp.meter.readout.color [0 0 0 0 225 32 32 255]
to get this :

Code:
set mcp.meter.readout.color [150 155 160 255 225 32 32 255]
5) Save the modification done.
6) Rezip together both the folder and the .ReaperTheme file, change back the extension to .ReaperThemeZip and reput it in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.

You should now see the peak values, but with only two digits, as there is only 14 pixels to display them and (this is one of the most irritating themeing limitation) we cannot change the font used : it's hardcoded somewhere in the Reaper.exe file, I guess.
You can even go further, though - but with a graphic glitch affecting the mixer panel when selected - to get a full view of the peak values. Still in the rtconfig.txt file, edit the lines #354, 358 & #359, this time, to get this :

Code:
set mcp.volume [39 22 16 237 aTB]
set mcp.meter [58 24 21 233 aTB]
Let me know how things are going...
Old 04-10-2019, 03:08 AM   #12
Chris Hurst Music

Again - these look great!

A couple of questions (one of which we've discussed before):

What Font have you used for the TCP?

What's the best way to try and have longer track names?

Thanks again - really good work. I happen to really like the look of Cubase 10, so this is a great looking theme to me.
Chris Hurst Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:12 AM   #13
talustalus

Quote:
Thanks again to you all...

@talustalus
I wrote it in an ambiguous way previously, sorry. Actually, I also had to disable the peak values display for the Cube6 themes range because the meters don't have the necessary width to display the peak values in all cases (14 pixels, as there must be 21).

If you are not afraid to tweak the theme, you can partially solve this on your end (allowing a display on 14 pixels) :

1) Make a copy of the Cube6.ReaperThemeZip theme file in a safe place, change its extension to .zip and unzip it.
2) You should now have both a Cube6 folder (containing all the graphic files) and a Cube6.ReaperTheme file (the one containing the settings adjusted in the Theme development/tweaker window).
3) In the folder, there is a rtconfig.txt file which contains all the Walter instructions of the theme and can be edited with a raw text editor (Notepad or equivalent) : open it.
4) Edit the line #359 which contain this :

Code:
set mcp.meter.readout.color [0 0 0 0 225 32 32 255]
to get this :

Code:
5) Save the modification done.
6) Rezip together both the folder and the .ReaperTheme file, change back the extension to .ReaperThemeZip and reput it in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.

You should now see the peak values, but with only two digits, as there is only 14 pixels to display them and (this is one of the most irritating themeing limitation) we cannot change the font used : it's hardcoded somewhere in the Reaper.exe file, I guess.
You can even go further, though - but with a graphic glitch affecting the mixer panel when selected - to get a full view of the peak values. Still in the rtconfig.txt file, edit the lines #354, 358 & #359, this time, to get this :

Code:
set mcp.volume [39 22 16 237 aTB]
set mcp.meter [58 24 21 233 aTB]
Let me know how things are going...
Legend! This worked. Thanks. It's great to be able to see the value even if no decimal, as this is sufficient enough for my needs. Thx.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:43 AM   #14
cubic13

@talustalus
You're welcomed...

@CHR
I am using the SegoeUI/Bold/10 for the tcp labels. To get more available characters for them, the easiest way is to use a different font, the place used having a more or less fixed width of 140 pixels. You can set it in the Theme development/tweaker window, by changing the WALTER font 3 setting.

HTWH...
Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
_Stevie_

Great work cubic, thanks for these!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #16
l369

This Theme is awesome!

I use just the Cubase X Theme with my regluar Reaper Setting.

Edit: When i leave the Midi track at default color and set "color midi notes after track", the midi notes always randomoly get at color and it changes if i glue items. Is it possible to just get them always in that turquoise color?

Thanks

Last edited by l369; 04-12-2019 at 05:08 AM.
l369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #17
cubic13

Sorry, for the late answer : I was gone for few days. So, thanks to you both !

@l369
I guess that you are talking about the View>Color notes by...>Track command in the MIDI editor. Indeed, when gluing the edited item, it resets itself to 'Velocity', instead of staying on 'Tracks'.

I have no explanation for this and it doesn't seem to be theme related, as it behaves the same way with other themes, including the default one. Beide this, I see no options that could control this behavior, so I'm unable to help, sorry...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-14-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:09 AM   #18
Phazma

Hello @cubic13

First of all I want to say a huge thank you for your amazing work on this skin!

I tweaked many things to my taste in the theme editor, however as I know nothing about how themes actually work, some things I was not able to adapt and don't know if it's possible or not (or maybe you might even consider integrating some of these things in future updates).

Here a link to a picture of a Cubic user that has integrated some things which I would like aswell in my version of Cubic - I will refer to this picture in some of my points:
https://i.imgur.com/Ca9aXE0.png

1) Indent automation tracks:
The envelope lanes are not indented as in actual Cubase. This in more complex projects makes it difficult to spot instantly what are tracks and what are envelope lanes and which envelope lanes belong to which track. Can I somehow set it up that they are indented (like child tracks)?

2) Change selected track color overlay:
In Cubic when seecting a track there is a gray overlay. I would much prefer it to e brighter/white like in modern Cubase. In the theme editor when changing the color of the selected track it changes only the header but the track remains grey (btw also if someone wants to change the color of unselected tracks it works only for the header). I s there a way to change the selected/unselected TCP color overlay?

3) Change selected item color overlay:
I admit that the way it has been implemented is just like cubase, items become dark and item contents bright when selected. However for me personally a selected item must be brighter than an unselected one, with colors inverting I get confused. I managed to set this up to work well by tweaking my media item background colors to a specifc blue and setting "media item background fill mode" to "add": But whenever I add items that do not use the default color they become darker instead of brighter, so I am forced to use just 1 color. Is there a way to make selected items brighter instead of darker? In my case this would allow for much more freedom when coloring items. Also choosing to have a box around selected items would help a lot (but probably is on Dev's side rather than thememaker's).

4) Insert slots:
As you can see on the picture of the other user, the mixer has graphically defined insert slots. I find that visually a lot more appealing than just a blank pane to click on anywhere and add FX. How can I set that up t have those insert slots/blocks in the mixer?

5) Insert Bypass Button:
All other DAWs I used have on the left or right side of the insert effects a button which toggles the bypass state. Having to do it with shift-click is annoying, for example I want to play a MIDI note with one hand and quickly turn an effect on/off is not possible because I need to move my left hand to the keyboard. Is this possible to change with a theme or should this become a feature request for Dev's?
Another cool thing would be have on the other side a button that opens the replace window (like in other DAWs) or even a better idea: have a handle like for sends, which you can drag to determine wet/dry of the insert (tough that would not be like Cubase).

6) Mixer Scale:
As you can see the other user has some horizontal lines that devide the mixer fader into sections. While that would just be IMO visually a bit more appealing (not just on the fader but also within the meter) I think it would actually be useful like it is in real Cubase to have some numbers at the fader lines which show the dB of attenuation/boost and at the meter lines which show the dBFS scale.
The latter one (dBFS inside meters) is also included in Reaper's default theme, so I guess it should not be too hard to integrate.

7) Different Color MIDI/Audio items:
Is there a way to set items to be by default one color (example purple) until you add MIDI notes and they turn to another color (example green) or Audio files and they turn to a third color (example blue)?

8) Change track mute overlay:
I find it very annoying that muted track turn black (would prefer only the items getting darker or at least having it less obvious). Is there a way a themer can change this or is this hardcoded into Reaper?

9) Slider instead of Pan Knob:
Would it be possible for a future version of the theme to have a slider (like in the mixer, just smaller) instead of knob for the pan on the TCP?

Hope you can help with some of my issues, however if you can't, rest assured you already did a huge lot by providing this theme!

Cheers
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #19
cubic13

Hi, Phazma

The first problem I have is that the image shown in the Imgur site is from CubicPack2 (the previous version). This said, let's take things in their order :

1) No, you can't, but I probably can do something about it on my end. Once done, I might add as an attachement here the modifications done as graphic files. I'll explain how to integrate it to the theme at the same time, as I don't want to change what is already existing in the pack, unless there are bugs that need fixes. So, stay tuned, even if it's not going to be in the few days to come...

2) Same as 1)

3) Same as 1)

4) Same as 1)

5) Sadly, it's not possible. At the present state of theming features, we are not allowed to add a button which could trigger an action in the insert slots.

6) The problem is this one : there are two mixers behavior. The first one doesn't allow a vertical redimensioning of a mixer panel (I'm not talking about the extended area which includes the insert, parameters and send sections, just the panel). The only reliable way to implement horizontal lines is using this one, and this is what I did with the the themes that don't have a 'R' in their name. Again, there is a theming limitation, here : either I choose to implement a redimensionable panel, but then the user cannot see horizontal divisions to the fader, or I stick to a non redimensionable one and then, I horizontal markers can be done. In both packs, chack the themes that have (or not...) a 'R' in their names.

7) It's not possible, AFAIK, as Reaper is based on an all purpose track paradigm.

8) A never ending feature request which has been ignored by the devs through the years. Sadly, I can't do anything about it...

9) I could, but then I would have to rewrite all the Walter management of the TCP panels, as faders would take more place. Honestly said, it's not possible : too much work...

Overall, stay tuned. I'll try to implement what I can in the following weeks...
Old 07-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #20
Phazma

Wow, that you consider working on 1) - 4) on your side just because of my request is huge! Take the time you need of course! Will be very happy once the update is online

About 6) I should have thought about that earlier. I have now done all my theme tweaks in the XR theme and it will be a hassle to do all from scratch. Is there a way to import my tweaks to the X theme? If not I guess I will just stick without the lines.. in the end it doesn't change a lot.

About 9) if it's much work then no need to bother.. it was just an idea to make it visually even more sweet in case it was something easy and fast to do - the other things you said you will be working on are much more important (at least to me) anyway.

But given that you will work on the theme in the following weeks I have another idea related to the panner, which maybe is easier to implement:
The space in the tcp where the panner is seems to have a very limited amount of pixels. Whenever selecting a slightly bigger font for the label, part of it is cut off. What if you made the text shorter by using the same abbreviations like Cubase? It would change as follows:
100%L -> L
50%L -> L50 (stands for any number from 1-99)
center -> C
50%R -> R50 (stands for any number from 1 -99)
100%R -> R
As there are less characters it would allow for setting a bigger font and thus be more easily readable as well as visually nicer.

Thanks again for all the past and future work and for the comprehensive answer to my questions. Looking forward to the update
Old 08-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #21
cubic13

Hi again, Phazma

So, you can find the modifications that could be done here. Be sure to read the bundled pdf file to use the patch, especially if you are not used to modify themes. If everything is going as expected, you should get something as following :

You'll probably have to tweak the color of the Mixer FX knob text parameters in Reaper Theme development/tweaking window to get something readable for the fxparm area in a tcp selected panel. This is a theming limitation, as we have only one color at disposal for both the tcp and mcp...

Concerning your request for the pan/width text format : it is sadly not possible also, as the one existing is hard coded somewhere in reaper and is not tweakable. Another irritating limitation...

Hope that the modifications done will match what you were expecting.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #22
Phazma

Wow thanks a lot for your work, this looks amazing! However I can't get it to work.. I was using the CubeX theme and tried following your steps using first the files from the new CubeX archive and the second time tried with the files from the CubeXD archive but both times when loading the theme it reverted into a very odd looking white theme (I think it's actually the Reaper Classic_1.x theme). What could I have done wrong?
Old 08-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
cubic13

Indeed, something has gone wrong, but it's difficult to put the finger on it, as such a thing never happened to me. So, let's start again from the beginning and take the CubeX theme as an example :

1) After having unzip the CubeX.ReaperThemeZip file, you should have find a CubeX subfolder and a CubeX.ReaperTheme file. Can you confirm this ?

2) In the CubicPack3_ModPatch.zip, once unzipped, there are 10 files in the corresponding CubeX folder : the 9 following files should have gone in the CubeX subfolder in which there are all the graphic files, as well as the rtconfig.txt one :

envcp_bgsel.png
envcp_hide.png
envcp_hide_ol.png
item_bg_sel.png
mcp_fxlist_empty.png
mcp_sendlist_empty.png
tcp_bgsel.png
tcp_idxbg_sel.png
rtconfig.txt

Among these 9 files, there is only one which is new : envcp_hide_ol.png, which means that there should have been 8 replacements in the CubeX subfolder. Can you confirm this also ?

3) The last one is the CubeX.ReaperTheme file which should replace the old one in the edited theme. So, at the end, are you sure that you have zipped TOGETHER the new CubeX.ReaperTheme AND the CubeX subfolder, change the extension of the resulting archive and put it back in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation ?

If unsure, try again all the process with another copy of the theme. I don't have more time this evening (it's already 21:30 in France) but will come back tomorrow to see how things went. HTWH, though...
Old 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #24
Phazma

I followed all your steps precisely but sadly it still doesn't work. Here a video of how I have done:

https://vimeo.com/351701242

Btw. in the video there is still the file with my theme tweaks of the old Cubic version inside the Color Themes folder.. I have obviously also tried with removing that file before installing the new theme but it didn't change anything.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #25
cubic13

After seeing your video, I have reproduced your exact steps here, using Windows desk (something I never do, usually ; I prefer using 'My documents' for this kind of process, but it shouldn't have any effect on the result). Even if I'm not under OSX, the Windows commands seem to be more or less the same and everything worked as expected, here, this with the patch downloaded : I get a functional theme with the modifications done.

So, I have looked at your video again and there is one moment that is not clear : could you check that the resulting theme file takes more or less 332 kB ? I ask this, because it seems that, at the moment where you compressed again, the two already updated CubeX subfolder and CubeX.ReaperTheme were not selected. This could lead to a 0 kB theme, which could explain why the Classic_1.x one is displayed as a result.

Another explanation (and something is telling me that this is actually the case...) could be that it's the parent folder which contains these two objects that has been rezipped, instead of the two objects themselves. Testing this, I get the same result as you : the Classic_1.x is displayed, instead of the expected theme. Worth a check...

Beside these two possibilities, I have no explanation, to be honest, as the patch once downloaded is obviously functional...

Last edited by cubic13; 08-03-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #26
Phazma

Awesome, it worked! The problem was in fact that I was compressing the parent folder and not the 2 objects.

Just one other thing, is it possible to load the tweaks I made to the old CubeX theme into this new version and work from there to adjust to taste with the new features? Would be nice but if not it is no big deal, just would need to find a day where I have time to re-do the tweaks.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:05 AM   #27
cubic13

Glad to see that it's solved.

About the tweaks that you made, yes, you could integrate them in the theme, but at an expence : the few modifications that I made will be lost. Actually, I just changed these, to make the peaks more apparent when an item with the new and brighter background is selected (so, it should be easy to set them again correctly) :

Media item peaks when selected (odd tracks) : 130/137/145
Media item peaks when selected (even tracks) : 130/137/145

About your own tweaks : if you have saved them, you should have, in your \ColorThemes subfolder, a CubeX.ReaperTheme file beside the CubeX.ReaperThemeZip one. The settings that you did with the Theme development/tweaker window are actually saved in it. So, the procedure is the following :

1) Change again the .ReaperThemeZip file extension to .zip and unzip it.
2) Move the CubeX.ReaperTheme file (which was coexisting along with the theme file) in the same place as the CubeX resources subfolder so they are in the same parent together, replacing the existing CubeX.ReaperTheme file with yours.
3) Rezip again BOTH objects together and change the extension from .zip to .ReaperThemeZip.

From this, there is one thing to keep in mind : If you have a .ReaperTheme file together with a .ReaperThemeZip with the same name in the \ColorThemes subfolder, the settings included in the former will always override the ones included in the latter.

Should do the trick...
Old 08-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #28
Phazma

Worked perfectly, now I have an amazing theme, thank you a lot!
Old 08-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #29
puddi

This is really nice!

I haven't found any theme that can replace Janne 2016 Light Tinted for me, but this is looking like a serious contender. Good work!

Edit: This is slowly becoming my favorite theme. My only minor complaint is that there are no mixer/master panel layouts with dB lines on the meters. Those really help when looking at the meters to quickly get an idea of where the levels are.

Last edited by puddi; 08-03-2019 at 05:54 PM.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #30
cubic13

@Phazma

You're welcomed...

@puddi

The problem I have is that there are already 20 layouts for the master.mcp track, due to the different colors available for the fader caps, the compact/normal extended area display (Cube6* themes) and the -72/+6 vs -72/+12 dB options. So, adding 20 more for this is not a reasonable option.

OTOH, if you are sure that you always want the dB scale on the meter, there is a not so complicated way to make it appear. It involves a little theme tweaking and text editing, but well...
Seeing your screenshot, I guess that you are using the Cube6R theme. So, I'll take this one for my explanations :

1) Make a copy of the Cube6R.ReaperThemeZip outside the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.
2) Change its extension from .ReaperThemeZip to .zip and extract all its content.
3) At this point, you should see two objects : a Cube6R.ReaperTheme file and a Cube6R folder, which contains all the resources of the theme.
4) In the Cube6R folder, you have a rtconfig.txt file which contains all the instructions that command the theme behavior : open it with a raw text editor (Notepad++ or an equivalent).
5) Locate the block of 4 following lines (starting at line #719, near the end of the file which have 832 of them) :

set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom

6) Delete these 4 lines and replace them with the following ones :

set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom [112 112 112 180]
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top [185 185 185 180]
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom [12 12 12 180]
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top [70 70 70 180]

7) Save the edit done.
8) Rezip BOTH the Cube6R.ReaperTheme and Cube6R together and change the .zip extension of the resulting file to .ReaperThemeZip.
9) Bring it back in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.

Done ! If you want to modify the colors used, you'll have to change the values that are in the brackets, which are actually the RGBA (Red/Green/Blue/Opacity on a 0-255 scale) values of, respectively, the lowest metering values of the scale, the highest ones and the same thing for lit meters (with signal in the background).

HTWH...
Old 08-04-2019, 02:30 AM   #31
Phazma

Hey, the dB lines are something I also like, so thanks for sharing how to do it! I guess it is not possible as I haven't seen that on other themes either but is there a way to mabye add the dB lines also to the mixer channels and not just the master?

And btw one last thing, is it possible to change the color of the Media Item Buttons with a simple edit in the rtconfig file too? As you can see here, when the black buttons overlap with dark colored peaks they are hard to see:

I'd like to change them to something like white when inactive and yellow (or another strong color) when active.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:16 AM   #32
puddi

Quote:

@puddi

The problem I have is that there are already 20 layouts for the master.mcp track, due to the different colors available for the fader caps, the compact/normal extended area display (Cube6* themes) and the -72/+6 vs -72/+12 dB options. So, adding 20 more for this is not a reasonable option.

OTOH, if you are sure that you always want the dB scale on the meter, there is a not so complicated way to make it appear. It involves a little theme tweaking and text editing, but well...
Seeing your screenshot, I guess that you are using the Cube6R theme. So, I'll take this one for my explanations :

1) Make a copy of the Cube6R.ReaperThemeZip outside the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.
2) Change its extension from .ReaperThemeZip to .zip and extract all its content.
3) At this point, you should see two objects : a Cube6R.ReaperTheme file and a Cube6R folder, which contains all the resources of the theme.
4) In the Cube6R folder, you have a rtconfig.txt file which contains all the instructions that command the theme behavior : open it with a raw text editor (Notepad++ or an equivalent).
5) Locate the block of 4 following lines (starting at line #719, near the end of the file which have 832 of them) :

set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom

6) Delete these 4 lines and replace them with the following ones :

set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom [112 112 112 180]
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top [185 185 185 180]
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom [12 12 12 180]
set master.mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top [70 70 70 180]

7) Save the edit done.
8) Rezip BOTH the Cube6R.ReaperTheme and Cube6R together and change the .zip extension of the resulting file to .ReaperThemeZip.
9) Bring it back in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.

Done ! If you want to modify the colors used, you'll have to change the values that are in the brackets, which are actually the RGBA (Red/Green/Blue/Opacity on a 0-255 scale) values of, respectively, the lowest metering values of the scale, the highest ones and the same thing for lit meters (with signal in the background).

HTWH...
I understand man, and it's honestly not a big deal at all. I do really appreciate the instructions though, so I'll give it a shot.

After using this for a couple of hours it has become my new favorite theme. I never find themes that I really like but this one is just so clean and uncluttered.

The only thing I did was making the selected media item's waveforms completely white since the default color made them a bit hard to see on selected white items. Not sure if I will regret that later but so far it looks great to me.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:41 AM   #33
cubic13

@puddi

Just in case, let me know if there is a problem...

@Phazma

Hi again !

About the dB scale on the meters, it's more or less the same procedure as my previous post in answer to puddi, excepting that this time, you'll have to look for this lines block (starting at line #360 in CubeX theme) :

set mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top [0 0 0 0]
set mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom [0 0 0 0]
set mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top [0 0 0 0]
set mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom [0 0 0 0]

and replace it with this one :

set mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.bottom [112 112 112 180]
set mcp.meter.scale.color.unlit.top [185 185 185 180]
set mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.bottom [12 12 12 180]
set mcp.meter.scale.color.lit.top [70 70 70 180]

It works here, even on the 'Narrow' layouts for CubeX* themes, but it doesn't on 'Narrow' layouts for Cube6* ones as, if I remember well from my empirical tests long ago, the meters should have at least a width of 11 pixels to see the dB scale - otherwise, reaper disables its display, no matter the preferences setting concerning it.

About the media item buttons, no, there is a graphical work to be done and the problem is that there are something like 20 graphic files involved. So, let me few days to make something more useful for you.

Last edited by cubic13; 08-04-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #34
puddi

Quote:
@puddi

Just in case, let me know if there is a problem...
That worked perfectly, thank you!

Now I'll just have to figure out how to make the unselected mixer track's names slightly more visible when the tracks are of a darker color. Then I'll be all set I think.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #35
Phazma

Thanks for the explaination! I actually had already attempted this but I didn't remember there was also a preference in Reaper to toggle on to make the dB lines visible in the mixer. After toggling it they appeared.

Oh I didn't think that it would be that complicated. You have already done so much to make this theme perfect so I can also live without this detail if it involves a lot of work.
However if you still want to do this, as you said it involves editing the graphics anyway, may I suggest you make those symbols a little bolder? Or maybe put them onto some kind of solid background (for exmample a little square-shaped button with a contrasting background color)? I think either of these will help to make the buttons more visible against the waveform that might be underneath them.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #36
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
Now I'll just have to figure out how to make the unselected mixer track's names slightly more visible when the tracks are of a darker color. Then I'll be all set I think.
I'm afraid that, beside suggesting you to use a little more bright colors, I won't be able to help you, unless you are ready for another rtconfig.txt tweak. Indeed, there is an issue in this case, but it's the same thing in the original. So, I could diminish the color contrast for the label background, but the problem is that there is no less than 53 instances of the involved graphic file, in 8 different versions corresponding to the tracks types, this only for the mixer. In a less extended way, it's the same problem for the tcp. And I'd rather keep the true color appearance for this. So, another solution is to change the tracks label color in the mixer : the procedure is the same as the one described in my previous post, but this time, you'll have to modify this line (#366) :

set mcp.label.color [16 18 20 255]

to get labels close to white, i.e.:

set mcp.label.color [236 240 244 255]

Worth a test, maybe, but I'm afraid that this will be only a partial solution as more or less the same issue is going to appear, this time for bright track colors. Sorry, not being able to help more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
However if you still want to do this, as you said it involves editing the graphics anyway, may I suggest you make those symbols a little bolder? Or maybe put them onto some kind of solid background (for exmample a little square-shaped button with a contrasting background color)? I think either of these will help to make the buttons more visible against the waveform that might be underneath them.
Would something like this do it ?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 AM   #37
Phazma

The idea with the white square under the buttons looks great! However I myself would actually most of all need it for the Per-take FX and Automation Envelopes buttons, hope you can do it like this also for those.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:14 AM   #38
cubic13

Fine ! And don't worry : these were just tests.

Actually, it might take me just one or two hours to make the change for all the involved buttons. Stay tuned...
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 AM   #39
puddi

Quote:
I'm afraid that, beside suggesting you to use a little more bright colors, I won't be able to help you, unless you are ready for another rtconfig.txt tweak. Indeed, there is an issue in this case, but it's the same thing in the original. So, I could diminish the color contrast for the label background, but the problem is that there is no less than 53 instances of the involved graphic file, in 8 different versions corresponding to the tracks types, this only for the mixer. In a less extended way, it's the same problem for the tcp. And I'd rather keep the true color appearance for this. So, another solution is to change the tracks label color in the mixer : the procedure is the same as the one described in my previous post, but this time, you'll have to modify this line (#366) :

set mcp.label.color [16 18 20 255]

to get labels close to white, i.e.:

set mcp.label.color [236 240 244 255]

Worth a test, maybe, but I'm afraid that this will be only a partial solution as more or less the same issue is going to appear, this time for bright track colors. Sorry, not being able to help more...
Ah, I see. It seems Reaper is smarter regarding this on the TCP where the text dynamically changes brightness on contrasting backgrounds.

I guess an alternative could be to only have the color showing in the header box in the MCP and not in the track label box. That would also reflect the TCP better since there all the label backgrounds are one neutral color while the track color only shows in the header. Right now it's almost the opposite behavior in the MCP. Not sure if that's just how Reaper works or if it can be fixed.

Last edited by puddi; 08-05-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:38 AM   #40
cubic13

@Phazma

Done ! You can find the involved files here. The procedure is the same that the one described in post #21/23 : it's more simple, actually, as there are only graphic files to be put all in the resource subfolder of the theme. You should get something like this :

Hope it will match what you were expecting...

@puddi

Concerning the mcp header, I tried to stick as much as I could at the model. I could have done it differently with, indeed, the track label under and both the index and headers above.

Will see if I can do something about it, but don't hold your breath, as it will probably be too much work : at first glance, all the instances of the mcp panel backgrounds (selected and not selected), as well as the label and index ones will have to be reshaped graphically, this with the necessary adjustments in the rtconfig.txt (Walter commands) for most of the layouts.