Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #201
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Woot! Can't wait to get home and try it! Thangs, mang!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-09-2019 at 08:07 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #202
ReaMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
^-yep-- this is going to need some real extensive testings by users to catch any gremlins that lurk in the filth... there is a lot here atmo.. so please,try all options noting erratic behaviours to sai'ke thanx..
a community effort helps speed up such needed focusing to details..and clarity.
But I like Gremlins and want them to stay.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #203
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
But I like Gremlins and want them to stay.

heh-well gremlins can be cuddly+furry-so i guess a few can.. stay.. in the versions that have them..
-but-! gremlins still...lurk..causing havok in the filthy kitchen.
it will all be fine in the morning...after a clean up.

greater update!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #204
sai'ke

It's grown a bit

Code:
Changelog:
+ Added goniometer
+ Renamed old "Stereoize" filter mode to "Stereo Boost" (didn't move it, so no preset should be affected)
+ Added Stereoize filter mode.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #205
foxAsteria

Oh damn. The crybaby sounds killer! I'm glad you did the weeping demon too cos it's more over the top, but I'm liking this a whole lot.

And the new graphs are a much better use of that space and should prove helpful. Man what a narsty tool you've made!!

I had a few thoughts...

1. How about a way to link the two spline shapes or a shortcut to copy A -> B? The points on the splines could be bigger as well or if possible, allow dragging the number, which is what I keep trying to grab anyway.

2. Any plans to alphabetize the filters in the list? Getting kinda unwieldy with so many choices in chronological order.

3. When you say "out of sliders" does that mean all controls? Like buttons? It would be a lot handier to have power switches for the filters instead of OFF being one of the options. Oh, and...

4. Do you think you could expose the colors in a config file so that we could "theme" it ourselves?

5. Question: do any of these graphs demonstrate what oversampling is doing to the sound? I don't fully understand the concept but maybe if I can see it?

6. Is there a gate built into crybaby somehow? My guitar cuts out at low volumes, but not with other filters.

Thanks again, dude! Amazing.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-10-2019 at 02:15 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 AM   #206
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
5. Question: do any of these graphs demonstrate what oversampling is doing to the sound? I don't fully understand the concept but maybe if I can see it?

6. Is there a gate built into crybaby somehow? My guitar cuts out at low volumes, but not with other filters.
ey- well 5. that's why they were included i thinked- there does appear to be 'audible differences' using the different oversampling amounts..fo sure. to my ears as i listened last time- most the filters will start to loose some top end when option is set to 8x funny enough..i would have expected the reverse tbh..but not so..

6= ^this is why a 'minimum cutoff point for each type that falls below 0- it's not so much for the res-but cutoff's are dropping audio- fo sure.
as there has also been newer types of lfo added-some of the pulses are also creating a gated effect- some are a little steep atmo,unless the mod amount is brought waaay down closer to 0 there..

this is getting to a professional stage-almost production ready if no more additions are made..but still some types of filters are just well... blowing $hat up!!

it's a beast- getting close to the honey badger now-savage animal style.
exellent work to date- sifu sai'ke! (bow)
it's pretty grizzly like a bear..graphix just add that xtra feedback-gd gd.

+oh! what's this then!! ? i see a...logo.. (honestly,unedited snapshot! only mirror flip )

Last edited by Bri1; 02-10-2019 at 04:07 AM. Reason: 1xtra
Old 02-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #207
mawi

Nice update. As default preset I have adjusted the in/out voltage, so that it doesn't become quieter during insertion.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #208
sai'ke

Changelog:
+ Added option to copy spline function over to other side.
+ Threshold = 1 default.
+ Fix bug not resetting random appropriately on init.
+ Smoothened goniometer dots a little bit.
+ Implemented more sensible minimum for all filters.
+ Added option to bypass filter.
+ Added shortcut SHIFT+S (swap filters).
+ Added shortcut SHIFT+F (randomize filters).
+ Added shortcut SHIFT+W (randomize waveshaper).
+ Added shortcut SHIFT+L (randomize LFO).
+ Fixed issue with vowel filter not resetting properly.
+ Fixed issue with experimental filter not resetting properly.
+ Added second vowel filter (more stable this one).
+ Added monstro filter.
+ Added subtle stereo mode.
+ Add smoothing for the spectrum.
+ Exposed colors in init section.
+ Fixed issue with spline end point jumping around

@Fox;
Quote:
1. How about a way to link the two spline shapes or a shortcut to copy A -> B?
Done.
Quote:
1b. The points on the splines could be bigger as well or if possible, allow dragging the number, which is what I keep trying to grab anyway.
Maybe in the future.
Quote:
2. Any plans to alphabetize the filters in the list? Getting kinda unwieldy with so many choices in chronological order.
Nope. Never going to happen. Text processing is a huge pain in jsfx.
Quote:
3. When you say "out of sliders" does that mean all controls? Like buttons? It would be a lot handier to have power switches for the filters instead of OFF being one of the options. Oh, and...
Bypass is added.
Quote:
4. Do you think you could expose the colors in a config file so that we could "theme" it ourselves?
There is no file reading/writing. Config files are not possible in jsfx. However, I put all the colors at the top CTRL + F for init. If you come up with a nice set, I could add it as an option.
Quote:
Oversampling reduces aliasing. When you distort sound you add higher harmonics. These harmonics can flip back at the top of the spectrum and fold back into the spectrum. If you want to see this in action, pick a nasty spine waveshaper, and use a sine sweep that goes from 20 to 20.000 Hz. You will hear that at some point you cannot tell the direction of the sine sweep anymore, as the higher harmonics begin folding back. You can also see this on the spectrograph. For real sounds, these folded back harmonics often sound not so nice as they are not harmonic with the note you are playing, and hence sound tinny. For bassy sounds you shouldn't need oversampling.
Bri; Yes, you are right in what you heard, you lose high, but that high you usually don't want. Although, with drums, the effect is probably not so bad
Quote:
Nope. Might be part of the actual thing, nonlinear distortion and all. The paper described a pretty accurate model and they challenged it with data, which it seemed to describe quite well. Boost volume a bit?

@Bri;
I added a minimum cutoff for all filters. It's around 20 Hz. Also some smoothing of the spectrum.

@Eli;
Finally managed to fix that issue with the last spline node jumping around annoyingly.

@Mawi;
Good idea!

Latest screenie:

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #209
foxAsteria

Most excellent! Yea that explanation helps me understand oversampling better, thank you. Lemme just bother you with one more question:

Without getting toooooo technical, can you explain those voltage graphs a little bit? I tried to study electronics some years ago but didn't get too far and remember not much. It's fun to play with the splines, but I have no clue what I'm looking at, much less why there are two of them. If it's too complicated to explain, that's fine, just curious...
Old 02-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #210
mawi

And another great update.
Quote:
+ Add smoothing for the spectrum.
I don't like this update.

It would be nice if I could adjust the spectrum analyser in level with up and down mouse drag, like in the rms/time window.

Last edited by mawi; 02-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 AM   #211
Bri1
Banned

I bow @ sifu sai'ke:
feed this man^
Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #212
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Most excellent! Yea that explanation helps me understand oversampling better, thank you. Lemme just bother you with one more question:

Without getting toooooo technical, can you explain those voltage graphs a little bit? I tried to study electronics some years ago but didn't get too far and remember not much. It's fun to play with the splines, but I have no clue what I'm looking at, much less why there are two of them. If it's too complicated to explain, that's fine, just curious...
The curves represent how positive and negative voltages are transferred (voltage really just being another word for signal). For instance, if you'd set negative to zero, and positive to just a linear line, you'd be cutting the negative part of the waveform away completely (this is what a diode would do in a circuit). The curve represents the output at a given input. A linear line is no change. A staircase would act like a bitcrusher for instance. Quite a lot of real distortion modules show asymmetric clipping, hence the possible differentiation between how positive and negative voltages are processed.

Some rules of thumb:
- Real distortions often flatten out near the top end of the voltage.
- Sharp changes in these curves lead to more high frequencies.
- For more beef, make it go up relatively fast.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-11-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #213
Eliseat

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE? (⊙_◎)

I'm about two days absent and now I find Filther grown up to a level I had never expected. Sai'ke, you are really crazy. I mean: When I created my VLC extension in two weeks I even dreamed in Lua. Seem like you see the code like Neo in Matrix. How do you keep focus in between all those filters and stuff. Just incredible!

Many thanks.

I will check this updates as soon as possible.

PS: Is it possible to automate program (preset) changes in Reaper? As you know, I'm planning to make videos. But I have no idea how I could create an automation or something that only switches to the presets I want for a certain type of music. As we all know, its impossible to run slow attack at fast tempo tracks etc. It wouldn't make sense to go thru every preset. (Do I really have to write down all the fitting presets and turning them in manually?)

Anyway. I can clearly say I feel kind of addicted to FILTHER. It just rocks! (òÓ,)_\,,/
Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #214
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Some rules of thumb:
- Real distortions often flatten out near the top end of the voltage.
- Sharp changes in these curves lead to more high frequencies.
- For more beef, make it go up relatively fast.
Awesome, thank you! I think I sort of get it now. Always wishing that I had been more interested in the sciences when I was in school... That info right there would probably make a nice tooltip for those graphs (or mebbe just over the spline button?).
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #215
Bri1
Banned

ey- updates are streaming like water-nice flow of attention..
there was always 1 thing concerning me about the neg/pos-- it seems reversed,is that correct? img>

can only say thanx again,but quite liked the orignal goniometer with the dots-appeared better res for a monitor before that smoothing was added-- nice touch with both graphs being zoomable now.. nycer.

so,
Old 02-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #216
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
And another great update.

I don't like this update.

It would be nice if I could adjust the spectrum analyser in level with up and down mouse drag, like in the rms/time window.
Thanks.

In the latest release you can adjust the amount of smoothing with the scrollwheel (when over the spectrum).

@Eliseat;
Hmm, maybe I can somehow help with this. I wonder if calling slider_automate sends out a message that something needs recording. If so, I could make a 'save snapshot' shortcut key. I need to do some experiments tonight, I will report back.

Changelog:
+ Allow dragging spectrum and goniometer for setting minimum level and zoom.
+ Allow changing smoothing level with scrollwheel on spectrum.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 AM   #217
Bri1
Banned

wow,really feeling that ignore button on these forums-- maybe it's time to dissappear.
have fun finding faults-- the programme is full of them..gaaahh what a waste.
mumble,grumble,stumble,rumble,stay humble.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 AM   #218
sai'ke

Quote:
wow,really feeling that ignore button on these forums-- maybe it's time to dissappear.
Yo Bri1, what's the deal mate?

I hadn't replied to your last post yet because I want to check that +L, -L issue at home first. I'm at work now. I did think the thank you gonio was cool.

Also, there's a lot of posts! So many things to keep up with. This is not the only project I'm involved in and I have a dayjob next to that. Can only spend the time once! More time replying = less time coding and squashing bugs. No ill will intended.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #219
Bri1
Banned

lol- alls good-- just having a manperiod m8
the ignore is just a general feeling/vibe am getting as feedback- your thanx mean a lot i guess- am trying to constantly give and not expect in return.. =)

am totally being honest about reaper as a 'programme'- i really love it,but it's like full of bugs and i've literally made a whole lot less music while using it-- more time spent on exploring/fault finding and less time actually creating notes-- fx is the area i like to explore the most, and highly value such generous users as yourself sai'ke...people like you,are seeming to show the actual creators what people actually want..and even do it better,often.
good times ahead--but suppose 1 should get back to creating/rather than debating,feeling frustrated,and fault finding-- 1 does not need to look far to find (if i can,why are creators,not?)
wish all well.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #220
mawi

Quote:
Thanks.

In the latest release you can adjust the amount of smoothing with the scrollwheel (when over the spectrum).

@Eliseat;
Hmm, maybe I can somehow help with this. I wonder if calling slider_automate sends out a message that something needs recording. If so, I could make a 'save snapshot' shortcut key. I need to do some experiments tonight, I will report back.

Changelog:
+ Allow dragging spectrum and goniometer for setting minimum level and zoom.
+ Allow changing smoothing level with scrollwheel on spectrum.
Very nice.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #221
Eliseat

How did you do this? Is this one of your Photoshop tricks, little Gremlin? But of course it was a nice way to say Thank You.

I understand Sai'ke as he truly flies in different spheres. He can't react in detail every time while he is this busy. It even gets kind of weird how productive he is, what also implies that he probably lives in a good amount of stress. So please take care Sai'ke! We all are happy with the good stuff in your upgrades but don't get under to much pressure from here if you also have to code in your job.

Lovely greetings.

And pet your cat once from me. Seems like it loves to play around with the keyboard to test the new Filther presets.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #222
sai'ke

My cat does most of the coding really. I just bring him tea and treats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_K8cB_Kyg

Actually, a few work projects are coming to a close soonish, so double trouble

Oddly enough, my home projects typically keep my sane, because it's easier to feel progress there. More stuff, fewer bugs = good. I still have one new filter in the works, but it needs a bit more testing/tweaking. It's kind of unstable at the moment.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #223
foxAsteria

Quote:
If it helps you get some perspective, I could show you a very long list of threads in which I was the last to post (considered changing my handle to ThreadKiller once), as well as some other threads in which I struggle with and question those feelings of being "ignored."

Try not take it personally m8. Forums have different rules than life. The big difference is that unless someone quotes you, you have no way of knowing if anyone even read your post. Just because no one responds directly, doesn't mean no one read it. The imagination gets carried away in the absence of information...

If you stick with Reaper (warts and all) you will be rewarded. It took me a long time to "settle" into a workflow and to stop making endless tweaks to it, but now it's the most seamless experience I've had with any DAW (and I've tried most). I spent a much longer period of time not making enough music when I was trying out all those other DAWs than even the years it took me getting this one set up just right. Hang in there.

Quote:
Actually, a few work projects are coming to a close soonish, so double trouble
Does that mean more time for these personal projects? I had the impression you were about to get very busy with work projects and that's why you've been working so hard rn. But if the current amount of updates is you with not much time and you're about to have more...
Old 02-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #224
Bri1
Banned

lolz--aye- nothing taken to heart--but it is pretty frustrating knowing i've asked probably 100's of questions now over time- bout 2/3 answers at best.. anywayzz...lyfez good in da hood.
filther is nice,and i'm finding uses for it--but like reaper (in all respect) it's 'sold as seen' - cannot be relied upon..just yet__
spent years with this programme now foxAsteria-feel like i know it close to the back of mi hand- but a lot still remains a mystery...and i don't feel comfortable with that..not seeing a change either in the nearest future,unless reaper 6 pulls a massive bunny out the hat-- bug free!?
wuut.. am at the stage of thinking reaper is not actually 'complete' _without bugs.. that's a sad factoid which i wish to see change_rapid or it's curtains for this show..

>to filther.. this gives a whole heap of character+shaping possibles-- the double waveshaping+serial/parallel filther combo kix sonic ass_but it needs surgery to raise the bar even higher in terms of accuracy+ emulation--if that's the point.. da cone headed nerdz may need all their scoping jedi skills to sort this 1.. =)

@Eliseat-that effect was achieved running a recorded sample from http://oscilloscopemusic.com
^user can basically create art forms with sonic wave forms- been around a while now__ and if you check the experimental filther and tweak it slowly right now_ you can get some weird shapes as it will self oscillate_m8__ overdriven shapes with the waveshaper of course..

Old 02-14-2019, 01:15 AM   #225
Eliseat

Quote:
My cat does most of the coding really. I just bring him tea and treats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_K8cB_Kyg
Awwww! This made my day. Such a cutie! But now we finally know how you manage to make so many updates. I tried to bring my cat to code me a Reaper video splitter but he only purred and wanted another snack. That was kind of weird. Such a lazy poser!

I guess I have found out what sometimes makes the overflow on my system while using Filther. In my system tools the graphic processor goes crazy and gets overheated till 90°C. I already had issues with my graphics card so I guess its a combination of graphics and CPU usage that makes my system unstable.

Need a new laptop soon as well as new studio headphones. Both are broken which feels a bit nude at the moment.

Anyway. Thanks for all, Sai'ke!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 AM   #226
Eliseat

Quote:

@Eliseat-that effect was achieved running a recorded sample from http://oscilloscopemusic.com
^user can basically create art forms with sonic wave forms- been around a while now__ and if you check the experimental filther and tweak it slowly right now_ you can get some weird shapes as it will self oscillate_m8__ overdriven shapes with the waveshaper of course..

Wow! Didn't know this is possible. As I learned Photoshop from version 1.x I just suspected it was made with graphic software. There is always something new to learn.

And yes, Reaper somehow feels a bit loose and often not to straight forward. I guess this is also depending on personal fondness of the creators. Reaper isn't meant to be a super compact DAW rather then an open ATB: Audio Toolbox!

And Filther? This is something I really dreamed of especially the MIDI trigger implementation which makes Filther be a "WS-bass synthesizer". When I began making music end of the 80ies I loved my EMAX's analog filters. They sounded lovely, warm and were able to tweet like a bird. This made all the upcoming successors with digital filters look like stupid plastic boxes. Everybody wanted more memory, more voices, longer sampling times etc. but I wanted my analog filters back.

SO there is a special love between me and filters. And Filther is the surprise bag #1 for filters. Yes, there are some weird behaviors like the infinity level outbreaks but I learned to avoid them. Maybe this could be fixed with a natural limiter or compressor which keeps the level in range. As I already mentioned: I remember testing a filter plugin once which also had aggressive filters and handled it with ducking or limiting. I don't know exactly what they did. But if the resonance went crazy it pushed the audio level down even until the original sound source disappeared. I'm not sure but the plugin I'm talking about could be biFilter2 from Tone2.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:36 AM   #227
sai'ke

Quote:
Does that mean more time for these personal projects? I had the impression you were about to get very busy with work projects and that's why you've been working so hard rn. But if the current amount of updates is you with not much time and you're about to have more...
Haha, no, 'fraid not. It will get worse after these end. New country, new job, new stuff to learn. This is why I'm trying to wrap a lot of these things up now. Also, no being greedy . I've easily sunk a over a hundred hours into this thing, probably much more, but I lost count. It was fun though, so it's all good! .

I do appreciate all the testing you, Eliseat, Bri1, JamesPeters and the others have been doing! I will make sure that I will put a little thank you in it at some point

Quote:
>to filther.. this gives a whole heap of character+shaping possibles-- the double waveshaping+serial/parallel filther combo kix sonic ass_but it needs surgery to raise the bar even higher in terms of accuracy+ emulation--if that's the point.. da cone headed nerdz may need all their scoping jedi skills to sort this 1.. =)
Hmmm. Sorry, but there are not going to be huge changes to how it works from here. There may be minor changes and fixes, but nothing will suddenly make all the filters behave nice in all possible situations. I fix what I can, but the flipside of giving a wide range of sonic possibilities, is that you can also have some issues. I don't really feel it's *that* unstable anymore though, especially compared to v0.01.

If you find it unusable in its current state, then you should probably look elsewhere. If you worry about stability, don't use the double mono, M1/S2 and M2/S1 modes at all. I did add a disclaimer to them. They can sound interesting, but they are using the filters 'wrong' . Think of it like circuit bending. If you worry about screeching, don't drive up the resonance too much.

The problem with non-linear filters is that a lot of the classic proofs for stability simply go out the window, and you're stuck with pragmatic solutions to "problems" (limiting internal states, clipping stuff).

I saw the guy's scope music before, it looks great! Really cool idea and well pulled off. I really liked the deconstruction one with the machines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
And Filther? This is something I really dreamed of especially the MIDI trigger implementation which makes Filther be a "WS-bass synthesizer". When I began making music end of the 80ies I loved my EMAX's analog filters. They sounded lovely, warm and were able to tweet like a bird. This made all the upcoming successors with digital filters look like stupid plastic boxes. Everybody wanted more memory, more voices, longer sampling times etc. but I wanted my analog filters back.

SO there is a special love between me and filters. And Filther is the surprise bag #1 for filters. Yes, there are some weird behaviors like the infinity level outbreaks but I learned to avoid them. Maybe this could be fixed with a natural limiter or compressor which keeps the level in range. As I already mentioned: I remember testing a filter plugin once which also had aggressive filters and handled it with ducking or limiting. I don't know exactly what they did. But if the resonance went crazy it pushed the audio level down even until the original sound source disappeared. I'm not sure but the plugin I'm talking about could be biFilter2 from Tone2.
I love the biFilter2 actually. I used to use it a lot. It was part of the inspiration for Filther, because I always thought that a lot of the regular linear filters that I used before sounded a bit "dead".

I was thinking, maybe to help usability, I could make a keyboard shortcut that increases or decreases the gain, making it easier to control gain while tweaking resonance.

I know that in linear filters, it's pretty easy to correct for the increase in peak volume when you up the resonance, keeping the end volume the same. But it's not so easy in filters with non-linearities in their feedback (for some impossible). You can make empirical curves, but then there's still no guarantee that another sound will hit it differently afaik.

I could maybe invest some time into making an autogain mode, that corrects for volume by looking at peak output RMS in the lookahead region. Maybe with some clipping in case there are really crazy spikes. It would maybe be a nice tool to use while still tweaking the filter, and to turn off once tweaked.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #228
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I don't really feel it's *that* unstable anymore though, especially compared to v0.01.
heh- yep- it certainly has improved on stability! quite a lot works fine-but overall it's currently likely to 'break'-even more so with randomizing options now... gaah-it's a very very fine line atmo between usable/disaster.. +

Quote:
I could maybe invest some time into making an autogain mode, that corrects for volume by looking at peak output RMS in the lookahead region. Maybe with some clipping in case there are really crazy spikes. It would maybe be a nice tool to use while still tweaking the filter, and to turn off once tweaked.
(+1.1 for bifilter2 btw) < 1 can tweak to most max setting without blowing up,overall....it's the mighty resonances that can create sonic explosions,so they need some taming... how about lessoning some of the resonance ranges down to half/ or 3/4 what they are now-- filther is really popping hard with low resonance factors atmo--
there is a vps avenger filters that the guy made options as balanced+unbalanced resonances - also a damping feature on 1 of the other ktracking types i think.. tames the resonances much better..
in the last update-as i was tweaking cutoffs- 1 could hear the steps of changes happening-- very jagged interpolations-- this should all be butter smooth eh.. >?
some types are still falling to 0 outputs.. did you not set all types to a minimum cutoff point 20hz >sai'ke?

your doing what i 1st wished for using reaper sai'ke -> making your own plugin fx- but little did i realise the amount of code that goes into these things...it's no easy tasking even with all the required textbook wisdom--so i give thanx for each update that rolls by-- but tbh- i'm sick of broken stuff-no offense.. just wish coders would do more thorough testing periods before unleashing to the un_aware public userbase.. i kinda think it's unfair that users must struggle with understanding broken,or not 100% fault free,working products.... even if they are free.
jus being honest-wish all well.
oh+ that new stereoize option makes the plug worth it just by itself- nice widener=thanx-a-lot.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #229
Eliseat

Sai'ke. Did you change something on the Narsty filter? In one of my presets its only crackling and acting weird. Will take a closer look this evening.

Eli
Old 02-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #230
sai'ke

Quote:
in the last update-as i was tweaking cutoffs- 1 could hear the steps of changes happening-- very jagged interpolations-- this should all be butter smooth eh.. >?
Did you have inertia on? Inertia interpolates smoothly.

Quote:
some types are still falling to 0 outputs.. did you not set all types to a minimum cutoff point 20hz >sai'ke?
No, I did for all where a minimum cutoff was calculable. For a few, it is not possible to calculate the cutoff back to a specific value since it depends on input level. Tell me which one are you talking about in particular then I can have a look.

Quote:
just wish coders would do more thorough testing periods before unleashing to the un_aware public userbase.. i kinda think it's unfair that users must struggle with understanding broken,or not 100% fault free,working products.... even if they are free.
How exactly do you expect this to work though? I tested it for 3 months before release within my own prods. The alternative would have been no Filther at all because with all the fixes that I've been doing based on feedback given, I've had exactly zero time to make music myself the past few months. There was even a warning in the original post that not everything is 100% stable.

Companies spend money and resources to hire/recruit people to do this. They gain revenue from their products that they can use to buy more manhours.

To be honest, I think your expectations of free software are a bit unreasonable in this regard. While I appreciate the constructive feedback and especially the bug reports, I do suggest sticking to commercial products then

@Eli; Only lower limit. Is it near the bottom of the range? The only two things I can think of are the minimum cutoff and that the oversampling may have gone down. What's the filter mode? One of the double pass modes? (MS or double mono). Can you send me that one preset?

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-14-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:07 AM   #231
Bri1
Banned

lolz @ sai'ke! m8,some of the commercial products are no better.. sold as seen.
am totally not knocking you,or anybody else's works,or efforts-- but tbch- i would be most upset people finding faults in work i may do- this either points to lack of wisdom-or,care,attention + application of any known wisdom.
your a very generous soul-i see that+thank that+value that.
this is also why previously suggested other jsfx coders get looking at this particualr code- to off load some of the braintax 1 goes through- + power check +optimize code:
many heads lighten a mental,or physical load..right?

will give new .v a blast later today- and report any findings_if any.ok=thanxu
Old 02-14-2019, 05:14 AM   #232
Eliseat

Quote:
heh- yep- it certainly has improved on stability! quite a lot works fine-but overall it's currently likely to 'break'-even more so with randomizing options now... gaah-it's a very very fine line atmo between usable/disaster.. +

(+1.1 for bifilter2 btw) < 1 can tweak to most max setting without blowing up,overall....it's the mighty resonances that can create sonic explosions,so they need some taming... how about lessoning some of the resonance ranges down to half/ or 3/4 what they are now-- filther is really popping hard with low resonance factors atmo--
there is a vps avenger filters that the guy made options as balanced+unbalanced resonances - also a damping feature on 1 of the other ktracking types i think.. tames the resonances much better..

your doing what i 1st wished for using reaper sai'ke -> making your own plugin fx- but little did i realise the amount of code that goes into these things...it's no easy tasking even with all the required textbook wisdom--so i give thanx for each update that rolls by-- but tbh- i'm sick of broken stuff-no offense.. just wish coders would do more thorough testing periods before unleashing to the un_aware public userbase.. i kinda think it's unfair that users must struggle with understanding broken,or not 100% fault free,working products.... even if they are free.
jus being honest-wish all well.
oh+ that new stereoize option makes the plug worth it just by itself- nice widener=thanx-a-lot.
Bri1, I don't want to start an off topic discussion but you can't compare an official release of pay- or freeware with Filther. Sai'ke shared his experiments with no guarantees or sales arguments. He started with: "I made a thing"
Filther already grew to an unexpected level of features and possibilities but I doubt that it will ever turn into a perfect piece of software. Its a side project, a fun experiment with ambitions. But not an official release or sale with support etc.

Your frustration about software issues shouldn't belong to this project as it doesn't promise anything. All you and I can do is helping Sai'ke making it better. Step by step.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #233
sai'ke

I would appreciate help. But given the relatively large code-base already, I think it's unlikely that anyone would step in to help

For me, time is the enemy.

I do feel bad whenever bugs are found. Especially if they affect people's projects. Squashing them is satisfying though.

I just looked at some diffs. Yes, the Narsty changed in a few ways (not forcing oversampling by default and higher cutoff setting (changed 4 months ago) ). I can have a closer look if you can send me the preset. Don't worry about overwriting my local presets
Old 02-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #234
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I do feel bad whenever bugs are found. Especially if they affect people's projects. Squashing them is satisfying though.
ey- umm,well sorry,but it appears there still needs quite a bit of squashing to do...
ok so found a few things in short time spent looking.. v1.90

1st is the filters that seem to have zero effect using default 0 cutoff (taking off all waveshaping before so)...
1: waspey linear zdf
2: pwm potatoes hp
3: pwm potatoes bp

:narsty seem to also default to using the tanh shaper even after multiple reselects of other filther types..
:most all filters need to be reset,or retweaked after selecting different stereo modes.. eg: stereo<> going to stereoize and back = needs resetting of filter used.
:the fir button toggle seems to randomly enable when using the randomizing function on the filter types..
:muck and another type..um delay feedback? maybe,seems to having no effect atmo..
:when using key tracking: tried the whole scale of c-2 to c8-- some of the filters would not respond to tracking above or below certain threshold of cutoff-- + kt will not work at all with cutoff @ 0 (obviously>?) only kicks in above a certain 'minimum' range of say 0.1 or 0.2 or around 100hz.
:some of the new stereo modes-seem to have very very little effect other than-> stereoize.

+by default, filther is set to spline and the volume drops straight away-- would tanh,or another be a better default? or change the spline to slighty off full linear- just to touch/kiss the sound initially...?

video link also shows splines falling apart round the edges (again) + even using monitor reso of like 1360/768 i still cannot get the 2nd filter to show all options now-- the plug is basically going of screen rader..
link> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ol7...Mgabvmkq4/view

oh+ when i originally suggested some smoothing of the edges sai'ke,i actually meant the plugin design-the rectangled edges--(not any scopes,but that's smart in the fft,but liked the original res in the goniometer >> looks razor sharp=cutting the eyes here bruv

+ glad some1 brought up the bifilter2- because it was released with a dc bug- needs a dc filter post plug ok!

Last edited by Bri1; 02-14-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: 1xtra
Old 02-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #235
foxAsteria

Quote:
lolz--aye- nothing taken to heart--but it is pretty frustrating knowing i've asked probably 100's of questions now over time- bout 2/3 answers at best..
Seems you're pretty popular then...I have to answer my own questions about 80% of the time.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #236
sai'ke

Quote:
video link also shows splines falling apart round the edges (again) + even using monitor reso of like 1360/768 i still cannot get the 2nd filter to show all options now-- the plug is basically going of screen rader..
link> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ol7...Mgabvmkq4/view
That is not a bug, that's by design. If I didn't prevent filther from accepting that node you put right at the end, perfectly perpendicular with the node below it, that would cause the voltage to just pop to infinity the moment the gain goes out of the input range. I really doubt that's something you intend to do.

Quote:
:narsty seem to also default to using the tanh shaper even after multiple reselects of other filther types..
It only disallowed OFF, but I removed the contraint. Mind your ears though, because on OFF that thing can spit out some narsty things.

Quote:
:most all filters need to be reset,or retweaked after selecting different stereo modes.. eg: stereo<> going to stereoize and back = needs resetting of filter used.
What do you mean by 'needs to be reset'?

Quote:
:the fir button toggle seems to randomly enable when using the randomizing function on the filter types..
Yep, FIR is part of the filter types.

Quote:
:muck and another type..um delay feedback? maybe,seems to having no effect atmo..
As mentioned in the description, muck adds subtle multiplicative noise. That's all it does. It won't have any output with no input and it will not be audible in very rich sounds. I use it to dirty up saws sometimes. You won't hear much, if anything at all on a break.

Quote:
:when using key tracking: tried the whole scale of c-2 to c8-- some of the filters would not respond to tracking above or below certain threshold of cutoff-- + kt will not work at all with cutoff @ 0 (obviously>?) only kicks in above a certain 'minimum' range of say 0.1 or 0.2 or around 100hz.
Yes, some of the filters do not respond to tracking by design. Because for filters without a cutoff frequency, the whole concept of keytracking makes no sense to begin with. As for tracking not following up the entire range, tracking the resonant peak beyond nyquist frequency would blow up the filter big time. So this is not allowed by design.

Quote:
some of the new stereo modes-seem to have very very little effect other than-> stereoize.
Some are subtle. Some require there to be stereo information in the input signal to begin with (it then amplifies the stereo difference). I can try make this more clear in the tooltip, but this is not a bug.

Quote:
1st is the filters that seem to have zero effect using default 0 cutoff (taking off all waveshaping before so)...
1: waspey linear zdf
2: pwm potatoes hp
3: pwm potatoes bp
Will be fixed in next update.

Quote:
+by default, filther is set to spline and the volume drops straight away-- would tanh,or another be a better default? or change the spline to slighty off full linear- just to touch/kiss the sound initially...?
Yes, this annoys me too. Fixed in the next update. Default of first spline pos will be 1.0.

That the plug is too big for your screen sucks, but I can't make things smaller and still have them readable. I'm not prepared to do a complete UI overhaul for super old resolutions.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-14-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #237
vdubreeze

I'm having fun playing with this great plugin, but I can't figure out how to get to the wah filters. I'm sure I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I just can't find the new wahs. How does one check them out? Are they filters in the filter drop down? A preset that uses a filter not called wah?

On MBP 10.11.6 I also have one filter window and can't figure out how to make a second one come up. If both of these are referred to previously here I apologize.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #238
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I'm sure I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I just can't find the new wahs.
Weeping demon and crybaby are the wah filters. Toward the end of the list.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #239
vdubreeze

Quote:
Weeping demon and crybaby are the wah filters. Toward the end of the list.
Thanks, foxAsteria. I just put it on a 13" 2009 MBP and there they are, and with the full two filter layout. On the 15" 2015 MBP it has a truncated list of filters. It seems to be not be expanding to show the whole list. Maybe that's the issue with the 2nd filter not being up, that the graphics are being weird. When I moved it to the external monitor with the 2015 15" it grew too large to fit on the screen, really large, but same issue with filter list not making it to the end. And when I dragged it back to the laptop screen the site of the outer frame of the plugin was normal but the graphics were too small and only took up a third of the plugin space. Couldn't get either to adjust. On this older laptop it's good.

What I know about the technical side of such things you could fit on the head of a pin, but might it be related to OS X and retina screen MBPs?

Thanks for responding : )
Old 02-15-2019, 02:57 AM   #240
sai'ke

@bri1; Hm, bri1, I just had another look at home, and the filter2 list shouldn't go off the screen indeed. So that was a valid concern after all

@vdubreeze;
Thanks!

Hmmm, the filter 2 box going offscreen seems similar to the issue Bri1 mentioned. Anyways, re both these issuse, it sounds like the issue with the second filter is that the combo box is opening in the wrong direction. I guess I didn't anticipate how big it would grow .

I will look at fixing this in the next update. I hope to roll this one out by the end of Saturday. There's one last filter in there too, which I'm still working on, that needs to be tamed a bit to play nice before I can roll it out.

As for the size discrepancies on different displays, is only one of the screens a retina display? If it opens on a retina display, all the sizes are doubled, so that's what you're seeing there. I'm not entirely sure whether it is possible to detect dragging from and to retina display, from/to a non retina display. I don't have one to test, which makes it tricky.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-15-2019 at 03:14 AM.