Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #2281
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Thanks as usual to you and others for the fabulous discussion/testing/support.

Basically what you've posted here is a great start to the Tips/Tricks/Gotchas section of the docs -- huge thanks !!
You're welcome Feel free to edit/reproduce as you see fit.

Regarding the master fader bug, I've reduced the MCU channel count to 8 to leave out the master fader. This works for the main Tracks Page, but when I switch to the sends page the channels shift to the right by one.

That is to say, if the far left fader on the Tracks Page is Track 1, switching to the Sends Page will leave a blank channel where Track 1 should be and Track 1 will appear where Track 2 was on the Tracks Page and all the other Tracks shift right accordingly.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #2282
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Regarding the master fader bug, I've reduced the MCU channel count to 8 to leave out the master fader. This works for the main Tracks Page, but when I switch to the sends page the channels shift to the right by one.

That is to say, if the far left fader on the Tracks Page is Track 1, switching to the Sends Page will leave a blank channel where Track 1 should be and Track 1 will appear where Track 2 was on the Tracks Page and all the other Tracks shift right accordingly.
You probably already checked this but, is the MCU channel count also 8 on the Sends page surfaces setup ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #2283
MixMonkey

Quote:
You probably already checked this but, is the MCU channel count also 8 on the Sends page surfaces setup ?
All set to 8, I’m afraid.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #2284
dixo

Hi Geoff, MixMonkey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post

Strangely, with my setup (QCon Pro+Ex) this does not happen. I can switch back and forth between the Tracks and the Sends page and all tracks stay in exactly the same place (provided that the Sync Pages option is set of course).

However, I am experimenting with the various ways to map VSTs to the surfaces too, and now and then it seems to happen that all tracks shift (i.e. track 2 moves to fader 1) when I change back to the Tracks page after having FX mapped to the surface. Not sure if this is related...

The whole VST mapping stuff still behaves a bit erratically, the major problem seems to be that changing tracks or FX focus (e.g. by Reaper actions like _S&M_WNFOCUS6 etc) is not picked up by CSI most of the times. It seems that clicking with the mouse between FX windows a couple of times suddenly updates CSI and the FX is then mapped to the surfaces correctly. But then it stays mapped, and there is no way to unmap the FX so that the faders control the tracks again (except for running the "Track: Unselect all tracks" action (40297) in Reaper).

This may be caused by a lack of understanding on my part. The principle of mapping MIDI to Names (.rst) and Names to Actions (.axt and .fxt) is pretty straightforward, but the exact behaviour of the special events (e.g. TrackOnSelection, TrackOnFocusedFX) and actions (MapTrackAndFXToWidgets, MapSingleFXToWidgetsForTrack, SetShowFXWindows etc.) are less straightforward.
When exactly are those events triggered? And what exactly are these actions doing? The names do give a bit of a hint but the devil seems to be in the details... Are there also actions to undo the mapping of widgets again?

The otherwise impressive and very clear "How it works" document in the latest release does not answer this yet

Another thing that I ran into was: what if I want to execute multiple actions when an event (MIDI, or one of the specials above) happens? I can't specify multiple actions in the .axt/.fxt files, can I? I can of course create a custom action in Reaper and trigger that, but I can't trigger any CSI specific actions (e.g. NextPage, or one of the mapping ones) from that Reaper action. Are you thinking of implementing these as reaper actions too (e.g. _CSI_NextPage) in some form? I know Klinke does this for his plugin. Or am I overlooking something obvious that makes this either already possible or even unnecessary?

Last edited by dixo; 01-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #2285
poetnprophet

I can also confirm that when switching to the sends, tracks shift to the right by 1. I always thought this was a remnant from the earlier days of CSI when the master fader was still part of the mixer.

Also, I can confirm that the master fader shows up on NEW projects. I have been using templates since I started CSI and forget the trick to "remove" the master from the list, but for new projects it's there.

Lastly, I think the idea from Dixo to include CSI actions as Reaper actions is a great idea.

PS: What's this function? "SetShowFXWindows" I have never seen that, what's it do? Is there a list of these functions anywhere?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #2286
poetnprophet

Here's a new one, probably not related to a CSI issue but thought I'd share:

I have a new channel strip: Lindell Channel X. Nice little plugin, made a new fxt for it. When I turn the C4 knobs, nothing happens at all. But, when I use the gui, the C4 responds to that. Weird, i've never seen that happen.

Just to check, I did a quick midi learn with another controller I have, which is not connected to csi at this time. When I turn the knob on that, nothing happens with the gui but the C4 will respond to that input.

Weird, huh?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #2287
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I think the idea from Dixo to include CSI actions as Reaper actions is a great idea.
Except that a lot of CSI actions take parameters, I don't think Reaper actions can accept parameters.

Quote:
What's this function? "SetShowFXWindows" I have never seen that, what's it do? Is there a list of these functions anywhere?
Controls automatic display of FX when they are mapped by MapTrackAndFXToWidgets, MapSingleFXToWidgetsForTrack, etc.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #2288
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Here's a new one, probably not related to a CSI issue but thought I'd share:

I have a new channel strip: Lindell Channel X. Nice little plugin, made a new fxt for it. When I turn the C4 knobs, nothing happens at all. But, when I use the gui, the C4 responds to that. Weird, i've never seen that happen.

Just to check, I did a quick midi learn with another controller I have, which is not connected to csi at this time. When I turn the knob on that, nothing happens with the gui but the C4 will respond to that input.

Weird, huh?
Does the sound change ?

If so, it's just a GUI update bug, where the UI is not getting refreshed when the values are set by anything other than the mouse.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #2289
poetnprophet

Quote:
Does the sound change ?

If so, it's just a GUI update bug, where the UI is not getting refreshed when the values are set by anything other than the mouse.
Nope, no sound change, easily confirmed with the gain setting. This is the only plug I've encountered like this.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #2290
poetnprophet

Quote:
Except that a lot of CSI actions take parameters, I don't think Reaper actions can accept parameters.
oh well, just an idea. In Klinke's it was really necessary because his was mapped for the MCU specifically, so if you're missing any of the buttons then those functions can still be used. I'm not sure its as necessary here as it is convenient.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:08 AM   #2291
Gass n Klang

Default Don't get it work (QCon Pro G2 + Ex G2)

hey guys,
I bought a QCon Pro G2 and an Ex G2 but I don't get it work with CSI. There's no problem using the reaper MCU controller scripts.

Setup:
1) I copied the CSI folder to reaper folder and the dll to the plugins folder within the reaper folder.
2) I created a CSI control surface in the preferences
3) I created a "Mix" Page following the MCP
4) I create a midi surface with 8 channels and selected the QCon MIDI I/O.
5) As templates I used MCU in all three dropdown menus and hit OK.

Now my QCon Pro G2 runs (even if it is a bit laggy when moving all faders simultaneously).

Problems:
1) If I now open preferences again and have a look at the surface edit window and hit ok two times, my faders go down to -infinity and I have to restart reaper to get them back working.
2) How to get the EX working? I don't get it working at all.

Thanks guys!
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #2292
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
hey guys,
I bought a QCon Pro G2 and an Ex G2 but I don't get it work with CSI. There's no problem using the reaper MCU controller scripts.

Setup:
1) I copied the CSI folder to reaper folder and the dll to the plugins folder within the reaper folder.
2) I created a CSI control surface in the preferences
3) I created a "Mix" Page following the MCP
4) I create a midi surface with 8 channels and selected the QCon MIDI I/O.
5) As templates I used MCU in all three dropdown menus and hit OK.

Now my QCon Pro G2 runs (even if it is a bit laggy when moving all faders simultaneously).
Hmmm... define laggy

Here's an ancient CSI demo with 1420 tracks, it's faster than that now, do you have similar performance ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravhFzHcYKI

Quote:
Problems:
1) If I now open preferences again and have a look at the surface edit window and hit ok two times, my faders go down to -infinity and I have to restart reaper to get them back working.
You're on Windows right ?

If so that's a known bug.

Quote:
2) How to get the EX working? I don't get it working at all.

Thanks guys!
Just add another surface (name it something like "EX") and set the Midi IO to the EX Midi ports, everything else the same.

The order the surfaces appear in the list is the order they map left to right.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #2293
Gass n Klang

Thanks!
Laggy means, if i touch 8 faders and move them at the same time and then take my hands off, faders still move and find their correct position. EDIT: don't know where it came from but it's gone...

Yes I'm on windows.

Does something like Klinke's folder mode exist or is it possible to just show what the MCP is showing? I'd like to create folders/groups similiar to Midas' pop group feature (seen in the midas pro series) which are some kind of "visibility" groups. Making these groups visible / invisible using the mixer e.g. makes mixing very fast as you don't have to search for your channels.

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 01-06-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #2294
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
TDoes something like Klinke's folder mode exist or is it possible to just show what the MCP is showing? I'd like to create folders/groups similiar to Midas' pop group feature (seen in the midas pro series) which are some kind of "visibility" groups. Making these groups visible / invisible using the mixer e.g. makes mixing very fast as you don't have to search for your channels.
Right now you can choose between following MCP or TCP visibility on a per page basis.

Folders/Groups etc. are on the to do list.

I'm not familiar with Midas pop groups, but I'm willing to steal the best licks from anyone, I'll have a look at it
Old 01-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #2295
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Right now you can choose between following MCP or TCP visibility on a per page basis.
Great! How to do that? I couldn't really find out which features are implemented. Is there some kind of manual or so?
Just I got it right: Pages are some kind of "layers"? So I can create a mixing page with all the channels and a sends on fader page where I can see my send levels and a plugin editing page? Or for which reasons do I need pages?
Old 01-07-2019, 04:57 AM   #2296
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Great! How to do that? I couldn't really find out which features are implemented. Is there some kind of manual or so?
Well... it is a pre alpha , which means the feature set is not yet defined.

There will be documentation, probably around the alpha phase.

Quote:
Just I got it right: Pages are some kind of "layers"? So I can create a mixing page with all the channels and a sends on fader page where I can see my send levels and a plugin editing page? Or for which reasons do I need pages?
You can call them "layers" or "scenes", and there are probably other equivalent names.

A Page is simply a collection of surfaces that have these options available in the Page panel:
follow either MCP or TCP
synch/don't synch banking with other Pages
use/don't use Track colouring as a navigation indicator

The surfaces themselves that are on the Page can be configured any way that the .rst/.axt/.fxt allow -- this is potentially completely different for each Page.

The reasons you need pages are entirely up to you, whatever you want to define for your personal workflow.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #2297
poetnprophet

Quote:
oh well, just an idea. In Klinke's it was really necessary because his was mapped for the MCU specifically, so if you're missing any of the buttons then those functions can still be used. I'm not sure its as necessary here as it is convenient.
Hello Geoff happy 2019. I just had an idea around this and from something you said earlier about pages. I currently have some buttons mapped for screensets so I can go from the arrange to mixing. It would be really neat that, when I select a screenset I can also trigger the corresponding "page", so I could have TCP view with arrange, mcp with mixer, etc with cycle actions. So I think in order to do that we would need to have access to the page select function as a reaper action...?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #2298
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hello Geoff happy 2019. I just had an idea around this and from something you said earlier about pages. I currently have some buttons mapped for screensets so I can go from the arrange to mixing. It would be really neat that, when I select a screenset I can also trigger the corresponding "page", so I could have TCP view with arrange, mcp with mixer, etc with cycle actions. So I think in order to do that we would need to have access to the page select function as a reaper action...?
Once we have the go to named page functionality in place you should be able to do something like this:

F1 GoPage Track
F1 Reaper 40454 // Screenset: Load window set #01

F2 GoPage Sends
F2 Reaper 40455 // Screenset: Load window set #02

F3 GoPage EQ
F3 Reaper 40456 // Screenset: Load window set #03
Old 01-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #2299
Travesty

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I've been trying to turn my Maschine Studio controller into a Reaper editor, emulating the workflow of Maschine as closely as possible. The plan is to make the jump between Reaper and Maschine smoother.

There are a lot of modifiers in this workflow, mute, solo, select, note, nudge, most of which modify the functions of the main pad section.
I couldn't find much in the documentation to do with modifiers, and I wanted to know is there a limit on how many can be set up? I'm thinking I will probably want to have pages which are active only when a modifier is held, with the possibility of emulating the "Pin" function too, which makes each modifier a toggle rather than a gate control.

Also, to transpose the pads up and down, is that something that would be possible, or will I have to find another way of doing this? I would think I would need some way of persistently adding a +1 / +2 / +12 etc value to each midi note when it was pressed, based on what octave / semitone offset had been set.

This is mostly in my head at the moment, I have tried some things using cycle actions as modifiers, but I ran into problems (One of them being no dummy actions in the midi editor, another being that the mousewheel actions I was using can't be switched with a modifier, as they are continuous), and then remembered this thread.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #2300
funktion1

Hi, I'm new to this Plugin and tried to install it the past few days, butI can't seem to make it work. I think i read most of this thread by now, if I still missed the solution and it has been posted before I'm sorry.

The problem is, that the plugin doesn't find the CSI files in the resource location. Whenever I try to create a new Page it's not saved. The directory is not propietary od the system admin, and there is no change if I run Reaper as administrator or not. I'm betting ut's a simle mistake but I don't find it. any ideas?
funktion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #2301
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I've been trying to turn my Maschine Studio controller into a Reaper editor, emulating the workflow of Maschine as closely as possible. The plan is to make the jump between Reaper and Maschine smoother.

There are a lot of modifiers in this workflow, mute, solo, select, note, nudge, most of which modify the functions of the main pad section.
I couldn't find much in the documentation to do with modifiers, and I wanted to know is there a limit on how many can be set up? I'm thinking I will probably want to have pages which are active only when a modifier is held, with the possibility of emulating the "Pin" function too, which makes each modifier a toggle rather than a gate control.
If you go with the page approach there is no practical limit.

Pages use the "Pin" style functionality.

Quote:
Also, to transpose the pads up and down, is that something that would be possible, or will I have to find another way of doing this? I would think I would need some way of persistently adding a +1 / +2 / +12 etc value to each midi note when it was pressed, based on what octave / semitone offset had been set.
Haven't thought about transpose, will put it on the to do list.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #2302
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktion1 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this Plugin and tried to install it the past few days, butI can't seem to make it work. I think i read most of this thread by now, if I still missed the solution and it has been posted before I'm sorry.

The problem is, that the plugin doesn't find the CSI files in the resource location. Whenever I try to create a new Page it's not saved. The directory is not propietary od the system admin, and there is no change if I run Reaper as administrator or not. I'm betting ut's a simle mistake but I don't find it. any ideas?
Which OS ?

Does the existing content load -- to check this, do you see .rst/.axt/.fxt folders in the surface config lists ?

If so, it's probably a rights/permissions problem -- seem to recall one case like this earlier -- I believe it was Windows...
Old 01-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #2303
Travesty

Cool thanks, I suppose I could simulate the hold behavior for pages by sending the same value on both on and off
Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #2304
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
T I'd like to create folders/groups similiar to Midas' pop group feature (seen in the midas pro series) which are some kind of "visibility" groups. Making these groups visible / invisible using the mixer e.g. makes mixing very fast as you don't have to search for your channels.
Checked into this, cool workflow.

Just preliminary thoughts, but what if we had a concept similar to Pin/Unpin where the selected channels would be affected, but instead of Pinning on this page, they would be exported in their pinned state to a new page.

Maybe something like this in the .axt:
F6 CloneSelectedTracksToNewPage
F7 PinSelectedTracks
F8 UnpinSelectedTracks

CloneSelectedTracksToNewPage would present a dialog to name the new page, the selected tracks would be pinned in the new page, the rest of the parameters (surface config, etc.) would be cloned from the existing page.

What do you think folks ?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #2305
mschnell

If I understand correctly, being able to configure "in realtime" the selection of tracks that are controllable by the device seems like a good idea !

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:56 AM   #2306
Travesty

Sounds pretty powerful
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #2307
funktion1

@ Geoff Waddington
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

No, there are no template files or folders shown when I try to add a new Surface.

I also thought it would be a right/permissions problem, but I couldn't figure out what kind, since the problem persists even if I log in as Admin.

edit: it's also kind of strange that the add page and the add Surface windows have the wrong sizes. I can't see the Ok or cancel buttons and I cannot move them around.

Edit 2: I got it to work now. Problem was that the resources directory for the admin was a different one, than the one for my normal User. It's working now, if I run reaper as admin. Close enough Now for the Real Work...

Last edited by funktion1; 01-08-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #2308
funktion1

So, next step next problem. Here's what I'm trying to do:
I have the new Version of the Presonus Faderport and I want t integrate it in Reaper. I have written an .rst and an .axt file for it, although I think the .axt doesn't really make sense, or at least it isn't really necessary. However, I couldn't think of a way to make the MCU template work with a single Fader, so I wrote a new file anyway. Mostly I copy pasted stuff from the existing .rst and .axt files and added some Reaper Actions. I'm stuck now with three issues:
1. The Fader and all the Channel controls don't work. I think it's more or less every action that is not a reaper action, for example TrackRecordArm or TrackMute. For those I could simply use Reaper Actions, but the Fader will not work how I expect a Motorfader to work, if I use it only with Reaper Actions

2. I don't now how to assign a but to to change a page. The Faderport 2 has some buttons wich indicate another Use of the Encoder,and I would like to make use of those buttons by switching between pages.

3. If I switch to another window Reaper will stop taking MIDI messages from the Faderport until I switch it off, delete the Control Sruface Integrator Entry in the Preferences, Switch it back on, and then create a new Control Surface. Is there any way around that?

Thanks for your help. I am absolutely new to this kind of stuff, butI really want to make it work. the Files I wrote are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSI Files.zip (983 Bytes, 112 views)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #2309
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
So, next step next problem. Here's what I'm trying to do:
I have the new Version of the Presonus Faderport and I want t integrate it in Reaper. I have written an .rst and an .axt file for it, although I think the .axt doesn't really make sense, or at least it isn't really necessary. However, I couldn't think of a way to make the MCU template work with a single Fader, so I wrote a new file anyway. Mostly I copy pasted stuff from the existing .rst and .axt files and added some Reaper Actions. I'm stuck now with three issues:
1. The Fader and all the Channel controls don't work. I think it's more or less every action that is not a reaper action, for example TrackRecordArm or TrackMute. For those I could simply use Reaper Actions, but the Fader will not work how I expect a Motorfader to work, if I use it only with Reaper Actions

2. I don't now how to assign a but to to change a page. The Faderport 2 has some buttons wich indicate another Use of the Encoder,and I would like to make use of those buttons by switching between pages.

3. If I switch to another window Reaper will stop taking MIDI messages from the Faderport until I switch it off, delete the Control Sruface Integrator Entry in the Preferences, Switch it back on, and then create a new Control Surface. Is there any way around that?

Thanks for your help. I am absolutely new to this kind of stuff, butI really want to make it work. the Files I wrote are attached.
First off the .axt IS necessary, please read or re-read the How it works doc.

Yeah, you've missed some things which are undocumented or buried somewhere in this thread, docs coming when we go alpha

The reason your track stuff doesn't work is it's missing the Channel/ChannelEnd markers, see MCU.rst for example.

Make sure that surface bankable is set and fader count is 1.

You should remove the following entries from your .axt file, .axt files ALWAYS have at least 2 words per line:

Master
Section
Pan
Channel
Scroll
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #2310
funktion1

Quote:
First off the .axt IS necessary, please read or re-read the How it works doc.

Yeah, you've missed some things which are undocumented or buried somewhere in this thread, docs coming when we go alpha

The reason your track stuff doesn't work is it's missing the Channel/ChannelEnd markers, see MCU.rst for example.

Make sure that surface bankable is set and fader count is 1.

You should remove the following entries from your .axt file, .axt files ALWAYS have at least 2 words per line:

Master
Section
Pan
Channel
Scroll
Yes, I understood I need an .axt file, but I think I could have used the MCU.axt as well. I think this is how the FP16.rst works as well, isn't it?

The entries you mentioned, are the ones wich are supposed to change Pages, but I didn't know how to set that up, so I decided to leave them without any action attached. But I will try if it works better without.

Thanks angain for your quick help and all the great work you are doing!

Edit: I found out how to change pages now.

Last edited by funktion1; 01-09-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #2311
SebyMusic

Default Help please!! C'ant close reaper Console Output

Hi, I don't know why, but suddenly, the REaper Console Output is always coming back and open istself as soon as it receive midi with CSI. What I'm doing wrong?
Please help me
tks
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #2312
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yes, I understood I need an .axt file, but I think I could have used the MCU.axt as well. I think this is how the FP16.rst works as well, isn't it?
Ah, gotcha, yes, you can use any .rst/.axt/.fxt that works for you

Quote:
The entries you mentioned, are the ones wich are supposed to change Pages, but I didn't know how to set that up, so I decided to leave them without any action attached. But I will try if it works better without.

Thanks angain for your quick help and all the great work you are doing!

Edit: I found out how to change pages now.
Great !!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #2313
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Hi, I don't know why, but suddenly, the REaper Console Output is always coming back and open istself as soon as it receive midi with CSI. What I'm doing wrong?
Please help me
tks
Seby
Go to CSI prefs and turn off midi in monitoring.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #2314
SebyMusic

Quote:
Go to CSI prefs and turn off midi in monitoring.
mmm, do you mean the 3 checkbox that I can uncheck?
CAuse if I uncheck all of thos 3, Nothing is received or sent anymore to my controller...
tks
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #2315
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
mmm, do you mean the 3 checkbox that I can uncheck?
CAuse if I uncheck all of thos 3, Nothing is received or sent anymore to my controller...
tks
Seby
Hmmm...

That is very strange, you shouldn't need midi monitoring on, it's there for testing/config.

Is your control surface Midi disabled in Preferences->Audio->Midi Devices ?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #2316
Travesty

Hi, I finally got round to trying this out.

Installation seems to have worked.

First I tried using console 1, I seemed to get data from the device, but after a few seconds it stopped. I couldn't get it to do anything, despite there already being config files for it included in the installation.
Is there a walkthrough to getting this up and running? I tried searching the thread, but couldn't find a solution. I know you developed a lot with this device, so I thought it would be a good first device to try.

Then I tried wiping everything and making files for Maschine Studio

Again, I seemed to get data from this, but then it fizzled out, and after that the console was giving me nothing other than an initial message it was sending out.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #2317
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
First I tried using console 1, I seemed to get data from the device, but after a few seconds it stopped. I couldn't get it to do anything, despite there already being config files for it included in the installation.
Is there a walkthrough to getting this up and running? I tried searching the thread, but couldn't find a solution. I know you developed a lot with this device, so I thought it would be a good first device to try..
Welcome to the world of pre alpha, aka no docs

Make sure you do not run the Console 1 software, it will switch to sending that midi message as you have seen.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #2318
Geoff Waddington

Ok we all know know simpler is better.

But one single switch isn't much of a control surface, so some complexity is inevitable.

A few posts back we were discussing CloneSelectedTracksToNewPage and although that is very useful for some things, it is overkill for others.

Also around that time we were discussing Mashine integration with Latching Modifiers, etc., which is kind of like FX mapping if you think about it -- the normal surface definition gets replaced momentarily with another definition.

So with all that...

Consider adding 2 more concepts, one to the surface definition files, and one to the action/FX definition files.

These have been discussed in many different portions of this thread, and now that there is sufficient real world experience -- thanks for testing folks -- perhaps it's now time to add:

Zones -- designated area of a surface made up of a list of widgets -- Channel is a real world example of this that already exists.

Layers -- on the axt/fxt side, layers overlay the page definition -- FX mapping is a real world example of this that already exists, ditto for Modifier Keys -- Shift, Alt, etc.

So we're really just extending (generalizing) the two notions.

What do you think ?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #2319
poetnprophet

Hey Geoff, sounds interesting and I'm all for more functionality! But...I don't quite follow.

Can you give some examples of how we could use those new features in our current setups?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #2320
Travesty

I think I understand, so I could create a zone which was just the pads on Maschine, then use a modifier to change just how that zone behaves?