Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 AM   #1
nikolalkc
Human being with feelings

Default What will happen to REAPER if Justin F gets hit by a car?

What do you think?
nikolalkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolalkc View Post
What do you think?
Sorry but this question is stupid.
Every human's health and life is much more important than any DAW.
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #3
Skijumptoes

WTF?!
If he's hit by a car, Reaper still works, and there's a chance that he'll be ok too - what's the point of this question? Seems pretty sick to me (?)

If you're asking how reliant Reaper's progression is on Justin then please re-phrase it to ask in such a way.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #4
EvilDragon

schwa remains alive?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:00 AM   #5
nikolalkc

Of course, but I'm actually asking is there a backup development plan for REAPER if something happens to guys from Cockos?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #6
gibi25

Take your pills and go to bed.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 AM   #7
vitalker

Quote:
What do you think?
Are you sure Justin is a human?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #8
mccrabney

the same thing that happened last time, we just go back to the lab and make a new one
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
nikolalkc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Are you sure Justin is a human?
Haha, good one.

My question may sound morbid and wierd, but I'm acutally serious.

A lot of jobs depend entirely on health and reason of just two guys.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:18 AM   #10
EvilDragon

If something happens to those two guys, the program doesn't stop working in its current state, so your jobs are all safe?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #11
fetidus

I asked something similar in another thread a while back -- I can't recall the answer, but the basic idea was that Justin and Schwa have some sort of continuity plan if Justin disappears off the face of the earth, etc. They gave me the impression that there is the safe business use case for Reaper, and it seemed like there's no issue. But as ED said, your projects are safe in whatever the current version and also keep in mind that the actual save files of Reaper are basically TXT files in an XML-like format that would be relatively easy to parse the write a translator for. Open up a Reaper save file and you'll see what I mean. It's actually easy to read and understand, which is really refreshing. So you are actually in really good shape with Reaper IMO, and I'm pretty damn picky about this issue.
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
RDBOIS
Banned

How many bells and whistles do you need to call the dog?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
Jeffsounds

First of all, this would never happen. At the last possible moment, just before the car hit our hero, there would be a bright flash of light and Ancient Aliens would swoop down from space and take Justin away to another universe, called DAW's and Justin would be named JUSTIN, KING OF DAW's! And of course, the national animal of DAW's would be the llama...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
serr

Well, when Steve Jobs died Apple kept making professional computers for 1 more year... oh shit! That was pretty quick! Well... That existing hardware will last me the rest of my life if nothing better ever comes along. As will existing versions of OSX. As will existing versions of Reaper! Someone would have to do something pretty impressive to even knock down an old version of Reaper from flagship DAW status right now too.

Justin, you're not into weird all banana diets or whatever Jobs was doing to himself there are you? I wish you all the best and a long healthy life!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Someone would have to do something pretty impressive to even knock down an old version of Reaper from flagship DAW status right now too.
Change of administration and philosophy could do some damage: for example, say the next wave of administrators find a way (loophole) to change terms of proprietorship and licensing and decide to go down the money-grabing paranoia tech-locking dongle, iLok, gobbler, PACE, central installer, cloud real time licensing path, then also decide that the next version upgrade of Reaper will mess around with registry and other computer script dependencies so that everyone is now on board the new slave ship?

My wife keeps telling me - lets buy a new computer and printer - set them up - put them back in the box for the day all are other computers have become useless pieces of infected spyware incapable of running half of our applications properly. Of coarse I would the current version of Reaper and my VSTs loaded on that In The Box music production tool, inside the box. I former Vietnam vet told me once that luck is simply the meeting of opportunity and preparedness. If the day my wife speaks of should occur, we - of course - would be very lucky indeed.

hehehe
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
ivansc

Meh...
Just - Meh.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
emarsk

The question sounds insensitive but it's a common metaphor to talk about the perfectly valid concern known as bus factor, so there's no need to insult the OP.
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsk View Post
The question sounds insensitive but it's a common metaphor to talk about the perfectly valid concern known as bus factor, so there's no need to insult the OP.
I agree. Obviously we're all just lucky to be using great software and there are no guarantees in life or business and the landscape of DAWs changes all the time and we adapt, etc etc etc. But for those that throw their business lot in with the Reaper dream it's nice to know what the contingency plans are, or at least that there are some kind of contingency plans. Not that Cockos has to tell us if they don't want to, of course; just saying that it's not crazy to ask.

If Schwa and Justin's elevator tragically malfunctions and we're left without the main devs, presumably there is some kind of legal arrangement that kicks in, whether with some business partners or relatives or lawyers or whomever. (I've always hoped there was a "if nobody survives to carry on, it all becomes open source" clause.)

Of course they will likely keep this contingency plan private. Those of us that are attached to Reaper either because of business reasons (not I) or emotional reasons (I), just want to believe that they've thought ahead on that, and personally I think it's safe to assume they have. It'd be pretty shocking to me if their plane went down and probate lawyers moved in and just assumed control of the company and sold it to Microsoft or whatever. The devs are smart people, after all. (And hey, maybe the plan is to pass it to a relative who it turns out will then sell it to Microsoft, who knows.)

But for a business owner deciding what software to base everything around, I can understand them getting a little queasy at the idea of relying on a company that at least seems to be pretty dependent on so few people. It would take a big plane crash to take out Steinberg, after all.

Or, for that matter, the devs might decide they don't want to do it anymore. Again, presumably they wouldn't just turn the lights off and walk away from it. But the fact that it's two dudes who apparently aren't super-profit-driven is enough to make a business owner a little cautious.

Changing from one DAW to another is not the biggest deal in the world, no, but it's not a negligible cost. It's at least an understandable thing to be curious about.

Last edited by clepsydrae; 05-16-2018 at 12:10 AM.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
EvilDragon

I think Justin was mentioning open-sourcing it in some form or another...
Old 05-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #20
Bri1
Banned

Heh- yers,the old ancient aliens may zap these guys-but people do tend to forget-- permission is granted-there is no actual 'ownership' of anything.
we are *lucky @ a price* to be granted a *license for use* of kool softwares.
some of the included code is 3rd party-with credits given to use also.
there is no physical,tangible product here to worry about (unless burn to a disk to 'worry about'-lol)

same for a few other daws--the only constant is change--so please embrace it when it does come--it will come..
we all as humans- must pass over at some point (until we find that golden elixir of life!)

"it is inevitable mr.anderson" -as 1 movie plot put it.. =)

-move along please...
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
clepsydrae

A strong case could certainly be made that the size of a software company does not correlate with either its longevity or continued product quality. :-)

I'd rather deal with a ~2-person company any day, no doubt.

It's just that Reaper is precious to many of us (for business or artistic reasons or both) and it's a semi-unusual situation when the fate of something important to you lies in the hands of just a couple people. Personally I trust that we're in good hands and I'm not worried about it. But I admit that I do wonder "what if" sometimes. :-)

If you're a building contractor, or a supply-chain manager, you heavily weigh the perceived stability of the companies supplying you with the tools you depend on. It's not nearly as critical in the DAW world, but still...
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #22
Geoff Waddington

J: Have you ever flashy-thinged me?
K: No.
J: I ain't playing with you, man. Have you ever flashy-thinged me?
K: No.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
Quasar

If there is a nuclear winter in which all mammalian life forms are destroyed and the earth comes to be dominated by giant radioactive cockroaches, will this impede the progress of Reaper's planned ARA integration?
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #24
SoulOne82

Quote:
What do you think?
That´s an easy one. The car will get smashed to pieces while Justin survives unscathed.

Remember, his full name is Justin Chuck Norris-Frankel.
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #25
Doc Brown

He would come back in the form of a lama, that is all that is certain.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #26
lunker

No offense meant to Justin ...

But I'm more worried about *me* getting hit by a car (or shot in a road-rage incident)!

Being dead would have a serious impact on my ability to make music.
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #27
Jeffsounds

If something serious DID happen to Justin, my first suspects would be the makers of Pro Fools...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #28
Valle

A DAW is just code. Not magic.

Code is language. It tells you exactly what’s going on.

A DAW does not stand and fall with its creator(s).

Creators/developers of DAWs should be more concerned about what would happen if all the licensees where hit by a bus at the same time.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #29
krabbencutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsk View Post
That's an easy one. As long as Justin keeps an instance of TDR Kotelnikov with him, which would simply compress the bus in the cleanest way possible without causing any damage, everything should be fine.

Joking aside, having your own contingency plan if service/product/company XY shuts down for any reason is always a good idea. Even more so, if you're running a business.

Last edited by krabbencutter; 05-16-2018 at 02:40 AM.
krabbencutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:44 AM   #30
uksnowy

Actually, it is a valid point and parallels to Apple or any other big company are erroneous. Apple has tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in it some of which would be high caliber to fall in if the need be, as was the case.

Taking on board the benefits of Cockos' size, having two main developers does make the organisation sensitive to events that could impact on their ability to perform.

And, I do not accept that Reaper is just code... that is like say my music is just notes.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:05 AM   #31
zookthespook

all i know is when he is not hit by a car...he and his team are working very hard making this amazing daw better ! However what would happen if you'd get hit by a car ?

gnite man
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:28 AM   #32
Softsynth

People invest their entire lives and most if not all of their earnings into one significant other, and if they die or leave the other half suffer major repercussions.

By contrast what is going to happen that will render our existing Reaper builds useless in the next decade? This is a $60 DAW, that at worst stops improving when the developers perish or flee.
Most of us could drop back to previous versions of Reaper and it would only be a minor inconvenience, so why imply doom and gloom if Justin unfortunately gets a personal meeting with the other reaper?
He will probably get into a heated debate about trademark infringement with the dude anyway.

Last edited by Softsynth; 05-16-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #33
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
He will probably get into a heated debate about trademark infringement with the dude anyway.
Awesome... LOL
Old 05-16-2018, 03:35 AM   #34
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
I do not accept that Reaper is just code... that is like say my music is just notes.
You don't have to accept it. Although, that's exactly what it (your music) is – notes. Unless you mean to say that your music is *MAGIC* ...

You need to separate the writer (who puts your "notes" together in a logical, readable and usable way) from the performer (who uses your notes in their own expression).

REAPER works on pretty much the same principle as any DAW out there. Yes, it's my first choice of DAW, and perhaps yours as well, but it's really not *that* revolutionary anymore. If all the guys who coded Steinberg Pro 16 got hit by a bus back in the early 80s and for some reason all the source files were protected and for ever inaccessible, then maybe we'd had a tricky situation. But just tricky, not impossible.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #35
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
Awesome... LOL
Well Bill and Ted are apparently coming back, so maybe they can help him?!!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:13 AM   #36
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
You don't have to accept it. Although, that's exactly what it (your music) is – notes. Unless you mean to say that your music is *MAGIC* ...
It's what goes into that code that makes Reaper special, specifically how they develop it, what their morals are and their unique licensing stance. And that applies to 'notes' too, give one guitarist a guitar tab, and another the same and they will play it with many differences.

Show me another DAW out there which allows so much user customisation and add-ons to exist without obstructions, with Reaper we can all add our personality to the environment as to what suits us creatively.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #37
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
It's what goes into that code that makes Reaper special, specifically how they develop it, what their morals are and their unique licensing stance. And that applies to 'notes' too, give one guitarist a guitar tab, and another the same and they will play it with many differences.
Now that is a very fine example of half-ass (mis)quotation and selective reading. You basically repeated my point in the part you chose to un-quote: "You need to separate the writer (who puts your "notes" together in a logical, readable and usable way) from the performer (who uses your notes in their own expression)."

Quote:
Show me another DAW out there which allows so much user customisation and add-ons to exist without obstructions, with Reaper we can all add our personality to the environment as to what suits us creatively.
I don't need to. Because REAPER is probably the leading DAW in that area. And I personally love ReaScript. But that doesn't mean other DAWs lack customization, or that REAPER is unique.

On the other hand, I don't fancy third party add-ons/extensions (i.e. SWS, etc) that much. Not because they necessarily suck, but because they're not part of the core and they get more or less obsolete by every major DAW update.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #38
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
Now that is a very fine example of half-ass (mis)quotation and selective reading.
Schucks! Thank you.

Quote:
You basically repeated my point in the part you chose to un-quote: "You need to separate the writer (who puts your "notes" together in a logical, readable and usable way) from the performer (who uses your notes in their own expression)."
I was being specific in the context of this thread which you failed to do (i.e. explaining why it's not 'just' code, the development ethics, licensing morals etc.). Perhaps if you were less cryptic and more specific your point would be clearly understood in relation to the thread at hand? We can all talk fluff.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean other DAWs lack customization, or that REAPER is unique.
Yeah it is unique, show me another fully fledged DAW that allows such active (Dev supported) customisation as Reaper, and on top of that, also has such generous licensing, trialling and cost.

It is Unique, and one of the few products that people are happy to pay for as a moral obligation, and it stands up to all the major DAWs out there which exhibit somewhat closed eco systems - i would love to see another DAW that offers all that Reaper does, enlighten me!

Quote:
On the other hand, I don't fancy third party add-ons/extensions (i.e. SWS, etc) that much. Not because they necessarily suck, but because they're not part of the core and they get more or less obsolete by every major DAW update.
So you don't use plugins then? Same concept. Difference is your projects rely on a plugin, whereas reaper extensions aren't essential in retrieving archived projects, majority of the extensions people use are for workflow and improvements aesthetically. i.e. it's client side extensions and the obsolesce isn't an issue due to the uniqueness of how Reaper works.

If you've not experienced deeper customisation via extensions such as SWS etc. then you're in no position to claim that it's not unique in it's ability vs other DAWs, so why make such a claim?!

As someone who uses multiple machines at different locations i can have different workflows on each to suit portability/equipment/screensize installed on each - yet share projects without issue. For me, that's massive and really helps if i'm using a laptop capturing recordings vs studio.

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 05-16-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #39
Valle

Quote:
So you don't use plugins then? Same concept.
No, it's not.

What goes for the rest of your post, I believe you're a bit too fixated on REAPER as a brand rather than seeing REAPER as a DAW. My views will most likely seem wrong and fluff-ish to you no matter what.

REAPER is unique to you. That's OK
Old 05-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #40
msundh

Everybody is replaceable. I've been in several projects that survived without any problem when the key guys left.
What could happen is that goals and directions change in the future.
Apple still lives.