View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 01:41 AM   #574
endorka
Human being with feelings

I'm arranging and producing a project at the moment, one in which I had hoped to use the notation editor for notating the musician's parts, but not being able to save or print prevented this. There were about 50 individual parts I had to manually copy, paste & re-edit into Musescore via MIDI export/import, quite a chore. While we are on the subject of "session mathematics", this conversion process probably took an average of one hour per part, is error prone, and involves re-doing a lot of work already done in reaper in terms of dynamics, keyswitched articulations, etc. Because of the duplication of effort I do not feel justified in charging clients for much of this time. That's a week I could find far more productive things to do in!

In spare moments I've been following this thread, trying the new Reaper notation editor and find it excellent. Note entry is really good, far more intuitive than Musescore. I'm amazed at how much good stuff you have in it already, and here, finally is my point;

From what I can see from the pre releases and discussion here, you may be close to getting the Reaper notation editor to the point where I may not have had to export to Musescore at all for this particular phase of the project, which is professional musicians recording under my supervision. For this, the notation doesn't have to be "presentation ready", just readable and correct. Just about everything seems there, and the notehead menu is a huge part of this for drum notation and improv slashes, and just plain hearing what I've written.

So great work developers, and hopefully I can shave a week off the schedule for the next project of this type. I am sure I would not be the only person who will benefit from this.

Jennifer