View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 01:58 AM   #4
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Hi all.

Started getting somewhere the other day with 7th order ambisonics mostly via the iem plugins so thanks for that.

So far, have a few other questions if any one could have a go at helping that would be much appreciated thanks!

1. Compared to vr where its very easy to localise above and behind sounds in games, so I'm not getting very good headphone positional cues for above or behind me with the binaural plugins I've tried so far (the iem one) and the js one that has many impulses in it.

I'm guessing this is because so far I've only panned using the iem panner which is strictly a volume based pan so no time based cues. My question is, are there pan plugins that will also add some positional delay between ears (haas panning) so that we have proper cues for positioning or does the binaural plugin actually try to add in the head separation anyway if a sound is above the head and to the left? I did add the iem reverb and it definitely helped me localise the direct sound via having the additional cues all around me. Any thoughts?

2. Is there a panner that can do straight front to back, top to bottom or side to side panning without first going through the height or floor speakers first (or the sides/front if it's top to bottom)?

I noticed "hemisphere panners" in the blue ripple plugins but they read like they will still utilitise the top speakers if I pan back to front? Or is this just not an effective pan in Ambisonics anyway? In dolby atmos, it works fine to pan via just the surrounds and not use the heights so I'm hoping there's a plugin to do that

Thanks guys!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 07-31-2019 at 02:59 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote