View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #108
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

One of the first apps I added to my smartphone was a better file manager. So I know what you mean...

Yeah, the "double-extension" trick. It fooled so many people, even though they should've been suspicious that their JPG files suddenly showed a .JPG "extension" for only one or two of them when the rest of their pics folder had no such "extensions". Shaking my head. And despite how many times I'd warned people to use Firefox (and later Chrome) with AdBlock and script blockers (NOT Internet Explorer!!!), effectively holding their hands as I showed them how easy it was, I'd inevitably get phone calls to come help them with their computers "because the Internet told me I needed to install a virus scanner, and I gave them my credit card number, but the virus only got worse!" Ugh. The Internet told you that you had a virus. Sigh. Call your bank and cancel your credit card right now lol.

I feel the same way about Windows 10. It crossed a few lines for me. I kept using Windows 7 right up until the bitter end. And yes although there were updates for Spectre and Meltdown, when I ran InSpectre to verify they'd been done (after a firmware update from my mainboard manufacturer), the author of InSpectre was sure to include in the report how despite the fact the patches were done, one of the two patches was half-assed for Windows 7 and it would in fact affect my system performance (going on for a bit about how it should be possible to do this patch properly in Windows 7, but "it remains to be seen if Microsoft will do this" lol). That was the last straw.

I'm happy so far with MX Linux. I'd already switched apps a while ago (sometimes just coincidentally) to ones which were available for both Linux and Windows, and the odd few exceptions have been easy to substitute. I had to get a new controller board for my laser engraver but that wasn't expensive, and now I get to use Inkscape with it, yay!
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote