View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Zeugitai
Human being with feelings

Default So

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetary View Post
On the CD, there's a program called MPK Mini Editor. You're definitely going to want to edit and load presets for the pads to work properly.

[...]

I highly recommend opening the pdf manual and checking it out as you assign the pads, because it's definitely confusing for those of us who are new to this. The manual has a numbered list of the parameters for the pads and how to edit them.

Basically, you're telling the pads which keyboard notes to correspond to. So if C1 is a snare drum, and you make the first pad C1, it'll hit that snare.
Thanks for the guidance. I understand what you're saying and I get the idea. I'm going to mess around with it now. But how do you know, with any particular VST, which pads to assign to what in order to get them to jive with what the VST wants or needs to use?

Just as an aside: I gave up on computer music in the 90s because of incompatibilities and such. I was wasting too much time and money trying to get this (expensive) thing to communicate with that (expensive) thing, high latencies, finding drivers, beating my head against bugs and glitches, and not making any music in the process, and then windows would change versions and it would start all over, etc, etc. Recently I decided to try again thinking that after twelve years things would have been smoothed out. But Here I am again wasting all my time and a fair amount of money trying to make this thing work with that thing, and any thought of making music has become secondary to all this BS. I had a spark of inspiration but that is long gone now and I'm facing this drudge work of editing midi information that I don't know jack about just to get a sound out of this keyboard and this VST. It's just the same situation I was in back in 1995 and it's discouraging.

But thanks again.
Zeugitai is offline   Reply With Quote