View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 02:55 AM   #7
fHumble fHingaz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvebbs View Post
Link in the first post?
When I tried it, it said it had been taken down... it seems to be back now.

Some cool riffs here... nice work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vejichan View Post
Working on a new idea.. still very rough since i recorded this 2 days ago. Its a very mellow soft rock kinda thing.
Any advice on getting the mix thicker and beefier? its so thin sounding.. and there is no bass. Sorry for the horrendous timing. I'll rerecord again just wanted to capture the idea. Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/davidcho-1/lu...-rough-draft-d
Hmm... I'm hearing plenty of "beef" and bass. If anything, the mix has too much in the way of boomy bass around the 80hz mark.

Part of getting a mix that sounds "thick" and "beefy" is getting the guitars and bass to interact in the right way and to compliment each other.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but usually the problem is less about having enough bass and more about the way the the low mids and mids are handled in the mix.

If you have too much low end in the guitars, it will mask the upper harmonics of the bass, and it will make the mix sound muddy. On the other hand, if you suck too much mids and low mids out of the guitar and bass, the mix will have a tendency to sound "thin", even though there is actually tonnes of bass.

It sounds like what may have happened here is a result of pulling too much low mids out of the bass (around 200 - 250hz) and too much mids out of the guitars around the 400-500hz mark. Because there is a lack of fullness being perceived (which is actually coming from the aforementioned areas, not the bass), that area around 80hz has been boosted.

One way to get a bass to appear beefier than it is, and to fit better with distorted guitars is to (surprise, surprise!) distort it! Saturating/distorting the bass can bring out harmonics above the fundamental, which will make the bass sound bigger and fuller, without having to boost low end.

In any case, it sounds like you have some good ideas happening here. Concentrate on getting the performances as tight as you can, editing them if need be. A tight performance goes a long way to making a mix sound "big"