View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 11:28 PM   #3
Kvebbs
Human being with feelings

I have no experience with EzBass, but the low end is often difficult - not least for us that record at home. Our room and speakers are often working against us, and if you feel the mix is booming with bass when you mix it and then lacking once you bring the mix elsewhere ... then this is likely happening in your place.

You can do a bit of subtractive EQ on the kick to offer more room to the bass guitar, as enroe says. I quite liked the snare, to be honest, so I'd try to leave that alone. But before you do any of this I think you should re-balance your mix. Maybe try to solo your kick, and then gradually fade in the bass guitar until the two sound roughly equal in volume. Then solo the entire drum kit and the bass guitar and listen to what you get. Your room and monitors could be working against you here, so do a bit of checking -- maybe listen again in headphones and even look at meters (don't mix with your eyes, though) to make sure they are in the same ballpark. Maybe A/B with something, such as the intro to No More Tears by Ozzy etc., to be sure you are in the same ballpark in terms of volume levels. Afterwards, however, you slowly bring in the guitars ... and then you switch them on and off and listen for what, if anything, goes missing on the other instruments. That will point you toward troublesome frequencies that need your attention.

Now that I think about it, I would be keen to hear a drum & bass only mix -- maybe myself and others can help you with the low end.

Finally, there is also no denying that tight playing between the guitars, bass and drums is important to get that beefy chuggy thing going.
Kvebbs is offline   Reply With Quote