View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #119
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
Serious side-note question:

How does the user know (or can they know) if a software is "pinging home" as part of its online authorization every time it is being used? Is that common, compared to just needing to connect online once when the software is initially installed?
Typically, on later OS's it can't without you knowing because the firewall will tell you the app is trying to connect to the net and ask your permission to allow it (it is remotely possible the installer while running in admin mode could create a firewall allow rule as part of the install). That said, I don't know of any that check every time it's being used but it's not something I keep up with. Easy check is to go offline and see if it stops working.

There are other methods to check but no need going that far right now as I consider it a non-issue at the moment. And I'm a little lazy for long-winded tutorials at the moment. That said, let's not mop ourselves into a corner because even Reaper phones home every so often during launch to check for updates if you allow it to do so.

Quote:
I have no problem with the latter personally, but I do take issue with software that "checks up on you" every time you use it.
Like I said, I don't know if/which ones do that but it's an easy check, disconnect from the Internet and launch them.

Quote:
I just recently dug out my old copy of Battery 3. In the box with discs, a printed manual, and a printed activation code. The good ol' days. To my surprise and delight I was able to update it to the final version, including to 64bit, no problemos. Working great in Reaper, saweeet!
Nice!