View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Not being an expert, I would probably send all my midi hardware to same virtual midi port, and using this single midi port as input in Reaper, going to 'MIDI INPUT track'. No vst there.
Then, doing all your routing needs from this single track.
Maybe this helps a bit, or you are doing this already.
Other than that probably a combination of all available live tools for Reaper.
- Realearn, with clip engine

I would start simple. Try it first with a single instrument. Finding your dream workflow, for this single instrument. Then try adding a second instrument, and find an elegant way of switching between both. Finally, transition from two to more instruments, and how to switch elegantly between those. Just a few general ideas. Have fun with Reaper, friend.

For simplicity's sake I just have each track set to get all midi sent to it. I have ten tracks, each with one VSTi, and I choose them by option clicking the arm button, which instead of making an additional armed track makes the current one the only armed one.

It functions fine, more or less. I can go to any of the tracks and use the VSTi on that track but it's not smooth, partially because of the cursor needing a click to refocus on the tracks if I did anything else with it, and also because it requires both cursor movement AND option clicking. I don't want to have to have the laptop within reach, rather do it without touching it once it's set up. Using Reaper as VSTi host this way doesn't allow that, so I'm looking for a way to use any other means, from the controller keyboard or, if it has to be, arrow keys.

For example, MainStage allows you to create a patch list (which can be any VSTi, not just patches from one) and toggle up and down on it using arrow keys, IIRC. Trying to get something like this out of Reaper, where no track pad or clicking required to switch VSTis.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 05-25-2023 at 01:42 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote