View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #79
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why I need a virtual amp/cabinet/rooms. It seems like when I add a chain like EQ - -Saturation - Compression - Reverb - Delay, for example for a clean sound, I get a pretty good sound.
For clean sounds, an amp/cab is definitely not necessary. When an amp (or pedal) produces distortion, it's expecting that you'll run it into a speaker that smooths things out. A speaker is like a specific shape of EQ curve, really.

Quote:
Are people using virtual amps and virtual cabinets in order to recreate the guitar sounds they're used to hearing when using a real amp, or is it more than that? In other words, is this just a question of trying to get a sound that everyone is accustom to hearing; a sound that was determined by historical/technological limitations?
Virtual amps/cabs/pedals are designed to behave like the real thing, since that's what people generally want. But you can abuse them all you want to get different sounds.

Quote:
Will my guitar sound lack anything (besides the psychological habituation ear-effect) when using my proposed chain of FXs? What else would I need? Something to enhance harmonics or tube warmth perhaps?
For cleans, that's more than enough. A lot of older pop/rock albums - I think Motown, especially - had the bass guitar plugged straight into a DI with just a little compression and EQ after.

Quote:
1) If I'm going to use Simuanalog.GSuite is it best to slap on either JCM900 or RednefTwin FIRST (to act as a virtual amp) and then add other pedals if needed?
That's the idea, but whatever works for you.

Quote:
3) LePou : some VSTs don't seem to work. Perhaps I'm not getting somethings in regards to Amps vs Cabinets vs Impulses...? What would be a good chain of FXs when using LePou?
Most of the LePou plugins are just amp heads, so you would want (say) Le456 and then LeCab after it. You need impulse response .wavs from a guitar cabinet, which you then load up in LeCab. Once you load a file in LeCab, make sure you turn that section on. There's a little power button in each block, if memory serves, and it doesn't turn on by default.

Depending on the sound you want, pedals might be necessary in front of the head. Check out the freebies from TSE or Ignite Amps.