View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I've got nothing to show. I said I was thinking about it.

The ESP8266 seems like a good candidate, because it has on-board Wifi, it's a fairly powerful 32 bit RISC processor with 512 MB ram and a resourceful community. And it's only like 9$ or so.

There's an example of an OSC to MIDI controller here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd6sPLynBo
Or ESP32 which has BTLE built in (and 10 touch sensor pins) but it's API/Toolchain isn't quite as mature as the ESP8266 yet (32 is dual core though!). I'm fairly buried in ESP8266/32 tech if anyone has questions - I've been working with them for a few years now.

I just had a discussion here recently about how it wouldn't be "that" difficult to use ESP32 or 8266 to achieve this. Even WiFi is doable.... because the 8266 can be the client/server and/or an access point taking the user's network completely out of the picture (by the controllers just talking to each other on their own network), or even using websockets which is about as near real time as you can get over the air and so on.

I haven't gotten interested enough (or have the time) to do this, but I'm certain someone could create the mother of all wireless controllers this way, if they spend the R&D time. There has never been a better time in history to do this, parts are dirt cheap and the tech is there.