View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #35
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Well that’s just a completely different thing! You’re using the control path rather than midi input. And writing envelope data rather than recording midi. I was actually about to mention that your might be able to write that envelope using the two track method. Either record or don’t (monitor only) the midi track, but write the envelope on the audio track at the same time. But…

1) Automation data does not generally have as much timing resolution as midi can. 960ppq at reasonable tempos is faster than block size.

B) It only works for parameters that are learnable and envelopable. Many plugins - especially synths - have internal connections from specific CCs to parameters which are not exposed to Reaper in any way.

How much either of those matters in a given situation is up to you.

I personally think that tracks are cheap and would prefer to avoid the control path for things which are track-specific and would just rather have the midi to mess with rather than automation (though honestly the way they’ve messed up CCs in recent versions isn’t much better). I might even use three tracks: raw audio and midi both routed (possibly as children) to an “amp” track.
I so agree.. but he asked for one track, I delivered.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote