View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #88
Wolffman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Wolffman,

I've just been using Paint, I've got it configured so I can draw somewhat to scale using feet/inches and I've got a spreadsheet set up for calculating the metric to Ft/In.
Paint, wow, i had never thought of using paint to draw anything technical, learn something new all the time

Speaking of which, through this thread i discovered Sketchup, its free and from what i've done with it so far its seems brilliant, and if you have any experience with cad software, its very easy to understand and draws everything in 3D.
The cad software i use for work is complicated to draw in 3D so this Sketchup is a great find.

Thanks Geir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

So is that the way your dimensioned lumber comes? 100mm x 100mm for a 4x4 or 50mm x 100mm for a 2x4?

Yes, its all metric here in Australia, I think we changed in about 1972, i remember it was my last year of primary school, going into high school and having a whole new system for measurement, quantities etc was not a lot of fun

I still understand the imperial measurements though and its suprising the amount of older carpenters still come in and talk 4x2's and 3x1@1/2's

It messes with the younger guys heads when someone comes in and asks, do you have an 8'x3" hwd beam 15 ft long, the look on there faces

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote