View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Forget about any manufacturer being made for a specific genre, that's crazy : ) There are speakers with tighter or not as tight low end, or subtly more (or less) detail in mids or less fatiguing after an hour of listening, etc. There are many variables but if an "EDM" speaker is any good at all it will be good for acoustic music as well, or else its mids and highs would have to be just as wrong for EDM.

At low volumes there's much less difference between decent nearfields, with the important "all else being equal" inserted here : ) What you care about is a pair of speakers that

1) Are pleasing for you to sit in front of and listen to
2) Are 'flat' and not hyped for listening like stereo bookshelf speakers, because you want as close to the true sound and not a sound improved by the speaker;
3) You can work on for hours without getting ear fatigue;
4) Translate well to other environments when you mix on them. In other words, that are easy for you to (eventually) get a handle on so that your mixes sound right in other rooms, in the car, in your friends' listening environments, everywhere else, etc. You want to be able to get used to them and feel at home as you mix, that you are confident that the more you learn to mix on them the more the mixes will sound better elsewhere as well. That your ears and the speakers are a team, not fighting each other or playing guessing games.

There's really not that much else to it. People with well developed ears will have preferences in $300 nearfields, that one may be a hair more open sounding than the other, which may sound a tad constipated. Play your music through anything you're considering and see how it strikes you, keeping in mind that it won't/shouldn't be shaping the sound to your liking or disliking. That's a function of the production and mix (leaving the mastering of commercial music out of the equation for now).

Having put three different pairs of nearfields on my DAW desk at home one the past ten years, I can say with certainty that the difference between them wasn't especially great in the context of a non- studio room. If you're not going to do much to the room, where you place them, and where you place your desk make all the difference in the world. I moved to my current speakers, Kali LP6's, because I wanted a upgrade from the self powered nearfields I had to ones that had more extensive eq dipswitches for different placements and I wanted front ported because I had to have my desk closer to the wall than I used to. And they replaced speakers that had replaced decent passive speakers that were being too colored by an inexpensive power amp. Had they all been the same sized speakers they all would have been fine, but only had all the rest of the factors fallen into place (less colored power amp, more flexibility in positioning) which they didn't : )

So I told myself any decent front ported, self powered nearfields that got good reviews would be worth looking into, and it didn't matter if they were the favorite of death metal mixers or Americana mixers : ) I'm not a huge fan of the small Rokits I had heard, as I thought they didn't tell me enough (and that's not a dig on KRKs, just that inexpensive 5 inch speakers are not going to give you what inexpensive larger ones will) but that's just me and my stuff. But make that judgement based on how they sound to you with your music and your budget. Not anything else. The best thing about speakers, especially powered speakers, is that if you go with something for a year and then decide your ears have developed and you want something else, selling them and swapping in a different pair is the easiest thing in the world.