View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Baggage
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Processing what your outboard gear is doing to the signal and allowing reaper to code that into your song as it sends the signal from the compressor back to reaper can only be done in real time. Think about it, a hardware compressor works with electrical components and time parameters not calculations, so if reaper/your computer is computing the processing in faster than real time of your song, the compressor would not work right...if that makes sense. I don't think you can use any outboard processing with offline render, but I don't use outboard gear, so not well versed in the details of that.
Admittedly, I jumped the gun with this question and soon after figured that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Your second question is not clear to me. Need more info.
Are you saying that you rendered a wav of your mix, played that rendered wav in reaper then played that same rendered wav in itunes and it sounded louder in itunes?
In reaper I've created a mix that I was satisfied with, levels and all. I rendered out a wav file and listened to it in iTunes, but it was several db lower than the un-rendered mix. Therefore I did another render with the master fader level higher. It did make the rendered file louder but still not as loud as the un-rendered mix. I've done some more research and it appears that this is a common issue. Some of the answers given to others is that to achieve a professional (louder) rendered file you have to go through a mastering process to bring up the level. Other answers mentioned that there are multiple variables that go into the mix itself to get it louder, such as your advice on how it is mixed with compression, limiters etc.
Apparently not just one answer. I was hoping it was as simple as an unchecked box that would solve the problem... Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by Baggage; 11-11-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Baggage is offline   Reply With Quote