View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 12:16 AM   #57
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I tried yesterday to install my copy of Native Instruments Komplete Elements, which was a real stripped down version of Komplete I bought before getting the full version of Kontakt. I wanted to use that one because it's not installed on the Windows side of my dual boot machine. Anyway, it won't install because it gets all the way up to where you've answered all the preliminary questions about locations and keycodes and then it putzes out with a message to insert the DVD into the drive. It doesn't see the genuine store bought, factory produced DVD that is in the drive as the valid media it wants.
osxmidi is right, "sudo mount -t udf file.iso -o unhide /mnt" should work. It took me many days to figure that one out when I wanted to install Komplete 8. I don't know if it's some kind of copy protection or just a strangely formatted DVD, but what happens is that Linux/Wine only sees the OS/X assets and not the windows ones. If you use the above command it should see the needed Windows assets.

Quote:
The ones I suspect will be the most difficult to eventually get functioning in Linux will be the few that employ PACE copy protection. I have an iLok with multiple activations, but I doubt that the PACE software needed to use it will fly in Wine.
I'm unsure if iLock dongles will work in Wine, just be careful that you don't lose some important licenses when you try to get it working! :S But there have been reports of people getting Pace's cloud/harddisk licensing to work. I suppose the same caveat applies here..

Edit: For installing NI, you might have to change directory to the DVD before running the installer. Another tip, when trying to install Waves, it might be smart to create a new account and install a few demo licenses, so that you are sure that it works before you try with one of your genuine licenses, would be bad for them to vanish into the digital ether...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 08-22-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote