View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #80
cdavis6406
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
Interestingly, I recently had a pretty good example of this on the Axe-Fx forum. I posted a patch, asking for contributors to make it a better tracking patch. Two guys sent me their modified version but one guy sent me a patch that does have a lot more gain. I decided to do a small clip with each contributions, using a song by Death Angel as a reference.

Basically, the clip has this structure:

Death Angel clip, alone
5 short clips, each patches soloed
5 Death Angel clip background with one patch, same order as previous 5

As you will notice, the patch with the most gain is the one getting completely lost with the background track.

Here's the clip: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9615882

And here's the thread on the AFX forum if you want the context:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/vi...p?f=25&t=19814
This is true, gain, tube gain, transformer saturation, etc., all rectify a perfiectly good wave. In inverse. More gain the more the tops of the wave are sawed off. Hence, surburban cores post earlier. And Techniqe. A lot of fader riding ,compression as some prefer,on the take isnt a problem when Im tracking someone thats a good player. Guitarist, drummers, and so forth that now the deal when it comes to tracking are a rare gift. They play consistant, methodically with out losing the feel. Their dynamics are part of the song and they place it automatically where it goes. This beats the usual reason, they play like they are on stage, and thinking,"How do I look while I play this". Kidding..

Anyway yea if ya lay off the gain the notes will have an actual transient, wow! Thats something that compresson and limiters are actually designed to handle. Not 4:00 minutes of one large blocked waveform of sizzle, mmmmm...
Then when you do thi voodoo to it in the mix the guitars actually become punchy, clear, and cut through a dense mix, they eq out a shit load better, and their placment in the stereo field and coherance are waayyyyy more detailed. It sounds good.

Not knocking sim plugins, they have their place, and used in the right spot are quick and simple, Clean stuff, some solo's, composing, practicing and I enjoy AmpSVX on the bass(wont track it anyother way). Even with those the same gain rule is in affect. But more so. And one more gain stage in the signal chain to work with. The DI stage. Get this one right or your not using your plugs to about half their potential.