View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #43
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the OS, it's the difference between "syncing" and "aligning" samples at the device level AFAIK. IOW, ADAT or WC sync can't address this either, they can sync what they have but they can't determine "who was out of the gate first", and can only keep what is there from drifting.
This has percolated in my head for a while, maybe an explanation is that the PLL locks onto the sync signal at a slightly different phase each time sync is established. So they are actually slightly out of sync, but they will keep the same off sync position as long as they are running.

Would be interesting to see if there is a pattern to how much out of sync they are during multiple tries. Mind you this is only a wild guess as I've never heard of this before and I've never studied the subject.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote