View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #41
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I was toying with the idea of getting a Behringer UMC1820 so I'd have a lot of inputs from one device, but Jack pointed me to a test he did in Linux, which showed the "monitoring thru" latency of USB devices in Linux.
Well let's not throw they baby out with the bath water. Maybe if we quantize the real loopback latency that you have, we'll find that the difference isn't insurmountable, especially at these low buffer sizes.

Another alternative would possibly be to add the usb device in the same manner with zita-a2j, it does have a high quality resampling algorithm and might very well serve well for recording toms and room mics.

Quote:
When recording drums I now check the alignment the moment I finish recording, and find some loud snare hit and some loud kick hit to use as my visual timing marks. Only takes a few seconds to hand align, if it needs it, which about 25% of the time it doesn't. That is what was messing with my head before knowing what was going on too, because sometimes I'd record drums and they would sound full and robust, and other times they would sound wimpy and thin.
I have actually started aligning kick and snare to the overheads even when recording with only one interface. As I also use a recorder man setup, both kick and snare align in the overheads. I religiously move the kick and snare tracks to line up with what I have in the overheads. IMO it leads to a fuller sound. I don't bother much with the toms as I can't align them to both overheads anyways, and trying to do it for the room mics would be useless, as they are further away..

I can imagine the disconnect between the full and the thin sound, that would have bugged the hell out of me too.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote