View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
mayfly
Human being with feelings

Default Totally Baffled Newbie.

I am completely new to home recording so I am literally starting from scratch and my brain is about to explode.
The first problem is that I can't watch Kenny Gioia's tutorial videos if I have Reaper open on my computer. They freeze after a few seconds.
If I close Reaper the videos work fine. But this makes it awkward for putting into practice what I've just learnt.
Surely this cant be normal ?

----------------------
Onto the main problem.

I have bought a Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB audio interface/mixer.
On the advice of the guy at gear4music I downloaded Reaper.

So I've got two steep learning curves to get my head around.
After following all the 'start up' instructions in the videos I still haven't managed to record a single note after a week.

I've gone into Preferences - Device - and set my audio to ASIO4ALL.
The inputs are enabled.
Everything from the mixer is connected and set correctly.

One tutorial says I must enable my Audio Interface.' But there is no mention of it anywhere in Devices or in the Track controller. All I have got is Audio Mic 1 & Audio Mic 2.

Just to confuse me more, when I play my keyboard (Yamaha Motif 8) the VU meters react and the track looks as though its recording. But when I play it back the sound is a very faint. I think it has just recorded ambient sound. Even if I unplug the USB cable and clap my hands the VU meters react ????
How ?

I have been able to copy and paste existing songs into a track and they play fine. But I can't record.

So what am I doing wrong ?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
If you don't hear back from me - my brain has exploded.

John.
mayfly is offline   Reply With Quote