Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v5.966pre1 - January 23 2019
Major things in this prerelease (have existed in the +dev branch):
+ New stretch marker modes/project mode
+ Elastique: improve timing of timestretch ramps [t=204269]
+ Rubberband: improve timing of timestretch ramps [t=204269]
+ Stretch markers: add new "transient-optimized" and "no pre-echo reduction" stretch marker modes
+ Stretch markers: add project setting for stretch marker mode
I would like to raise the issue of sloped stretch markers again.

Sloped stretch markers can potentially be used to protect transients when stretching drums and other material with strong transients: If each stretch marker starts at 1.00x, the transient should be minimally affected.

Unfortunately, stretch markers that slope downwards still give echoey artefacts.

As an example, here is a drum track that I am trying to slow down from 120bpm to 77bpm. 1) Place stretch markers before each transient, using Transient optimized mode, 2) stretch item, 3) convert all stretch markers to sloped ones, and 4) render:

The transient before the start of measure 2 is destroyed, but surprisingly, the transients at start of measure 3 all stretched OK, even though they are closer together.

And zoomed in at the stretch marker:

Strangely, I get the least artefacts when I use a very long stretch marker fade length of 200ms. Shorter fade lengths such as 2.5ms lead to terrible smearing of transients when downward sloping stretch markers are used.

Are these issues with sloped stretch markers something that can be solved, or do they fall into the "just live with it" category?

Last edited by juliansader; 02-01-2019 at 05:08 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote