View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #152
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
We talked about it before.

I'm keeping them there because they are interesting and I might use them in the future.

I can't use them at the moment because the balance breaks and high priority threads still dominate other threads in an unbalanced way with your patches because of parent/child thread priorities still being unbalanced, so all the threads (6 of them btw) need to be at the same fifo priority to maintain balance and the way that that is done is by setting the fifo priority before the fork and then the parent and child are at the same fifo priority and the thread balance is maintained and it's also realtime.

I also had to rework the internals to cater for Reaper's automation and the fifo priority needs to be balanced for that as well.

House of cards.
OK, that's understandable. Makes me a bit sad though that my patch doesn't get tested or receives any feedback.. I had some more ideas that I wanted to follow up on, and now I'm not quite sure what to do. Maybe it's just easier if I fork it, and start working on my own project.

If I come up with something good, I can publish it to get public feedback. It probably means that our code bases will diverge and it will be difficult to merge the code again, something I really wanted to avoid! But I suppose that if I publish it on github, you could look at my git commits and pick up anything that is of interest to you.

Btw, your way of setting the realtime priority has the side effect of changing the priority of reaper's main thread, though I haven't noticed any adverse effect from this.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote