View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #34
Borodog
Human being with feelings

Default Hybrid multitrack recording in Reaper

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to put this. Kenny has 2 excellent tutorials on 2 different approaches to multi-track recording. In the first, he shows you how to us a single multi-channel track, which makes takes and comping a breeze, but doesn't handle editing individual tracks well. In the second, he shows you how to record multiple tracks, which makes editing individual tracks easy but makes takes and comping more complicated. Luckily, there is a pretty simple way to get the best of both worlds. It does require you to do your take management and comping first in your workflow, but for me that's what I'd do anyway.

First, follow Kenny's instructions for using a single multi-channel track and output tracks. Record your takes. Choose a keeper, or comp one together the way you'd normally comp any set of takes. When satisfied you've got a keeper, select all the stereo output tracks (e.g. stereo overheads, stereo rooms), right click and choose "Render to stereo stems and mute originals." Then select all the mono output tracks and right click and choose "Render to mono stems and mute originals." Mute the multi-channel track and put it and all the output tracks in a folder for safe keeping (or delete them and save the project under a new name, whatever works for you). You now have a multi-track recording of your keeper ready for editing. If you had any effects setup on your output tracks (EQ, compression, time delays, etc) they are now printed into the multi-tracks.

Anyway, I hope somebody finds this useful. Thanks Kenny Gioia for the fantastic tutorials.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote