View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
xdudex
Human being with feelings

Default ALSA: error opening input device

Hey all,

First off... Linux noob. I installed the latest native version of Reaper.

I'm using a Scarlett 2i2 interface (will also be setting up my Presonus 1818VSL in the near future). My monitors are working, my headphones are working. In JACK I have ALSA chosen as my driver and my input and output devices both show the same "hw:USB Scarlett 2i2 USB (hw:2).

Every time I go to launch Reaper I get the attached error that ALSA can't open the device.

I attempted searching the web as well as this forum for the error, but couldn't find much on this specifically.

I never thought getting Linux up and running would be so tedious, but I'm more than happy to work through all the issues I'm dealing with (still attempting to get plugins installed). Will be reading up further on Ubuntu basics, but really wanting to get back to mixing and tracking ASAP if possible.

Happy to provide any other info you need, just let me know! I appreciate any assistance in advance!

EDIT: It may also help, but I noticed in JACK when I click on Connect, under the ALSA tab it shows only "14:Midi Through", under that,"0:Midi Through Port-0". Also, I also installed QjackCtl so I think I'm using that? I have two JACK icons in my system tray.

EDIT2: In my preferences in Reaper, I have Audio System as ALSA and it does show my input and output devices as: hw:USB ; USB-Audio - Scarlett 2i2 USB

Trying to upload more screenshots, but they don't appear to be uploading?
Attached Images
File Type: png ALSA Error Reaper.png (12.9 KB, 930 views)
File Type: png JACK ALSA Conn.png (25.5 KB, 770 views)
File Type: png Jack Audio Conn.png (38.2 KB, 781 views)

Last edited by xdudex; 08-07-2018 at 01:38 PM.
xdudex is offline   Reply With Quote