View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #24
cyrano
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's my point, you get distance *and* the fact there is no existing network to worry about. I've already tested this as far as WiFi'ing them with each other, it's plenty fast and reliable because the microcontrollers literally have nothing else to do.
I never worry about networks. They just work.

And it seems a waste to use 2 ESP's as one can do the job. Besides, I want to connect to an existing network, not have yet another one to add to the congestion.

Quote:
The only concern would be interference from other WiFi networks but that would be a non-issue since we aren't talking actually using large distances. For example, I also use these for my home automation and my motion/light sensors for light switches can turn the lights on when I enter the room in 100ms or less and that's while on my home network and taking 3-4 hops through various endpoints and two servers. Two 8266s talking only to each other are far faster than that.
Of course they are faster. But it seems a waste to use a 32 bit CPU with 512 MB ram for something that can be done with a Wireless 433 MHz serial chip. (800 MHz in the US, I think)

Quote:
I really wish I had my own use case and time, I'd mock up proof of concept and demonstrate - or you can check out cnlohr's YT channel where he's has a real time oscilloscope demo... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISbmQTbjDI Keep in mind, my stuff above isn't even using web sockets.
It's the hardware that takes most time to debug. Serial over TCP/IP shouldn't take much work. Antennas. Power supply. That kind of unexpected wizardry...