View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #91
technogremlin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
i just gave oatmeal another try out - haven't used it in quite a long time. i downloaded a bank from kvr (the tinga compil bank - some truly wonderous sound design in there) just to have some good presets to listen to... crashed reaper within a couple of minutes of going through presets . i dunno, perhaps i can live with it. it only seems to be this that crashes it. there are some kinds of sounds that i can only get from this synth...
I've seen other messages about Oatmeal's stability in Reaper. I have been playing with it for hours several times now and yet have to see it's first crash. Again it might have to do with me still running a single-core CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
i agree crystal presents a very powerful set of tools but it still retains a very thin and weedy sound. i used to spend hours programming patches with it and i generally found i would always have to use all 3 oscillators to prevent it from sounding too weedy. of course, you don't always want a big fat sound that takes a huge chunk of the frequency range in your track, but i generally found it to sound fairly 'thin'. i ended up deleting it because now and again i would get very high cpu spiking that i couldn't find the cause of. it was usually when i was using the mseg's but i couldn't definitely pinpoint it.
That's my feeling to now that you mention it; Most sounds are very impressive in complexity but not really awe-inspiring in pure sonic quality. It's great for rhythmic soundscapes though.

Thinking of it it's actually INTRO that gives me the sounds that I should expect from Crystal; very complex but also large, in your face and fat when needed. But INTRO is as complex to program as Crystal as well, and it has the same appetite for CPU-cycles
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote