View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #135
insub
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Edit: There are things I've considered/noticed while mixing, I hope we can step back and discuss post contest as I think all our thoughts and that conversation may be even more valuable than the mixing work.
I'm hoping for some conversation afterwards which didn't really occur last month. Probably because the new contest started and people were moving to get started on the next mix. Honestly, I still haven't given the other projects the in-depth inspection I was planning to do. I checked out the things I noticed most where I was lacking, but only gave a brief look into the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, the drums are less then ideal, but I think for something like this they are probably on par as average, and no I'm not using any drum replacement.
I was wondering if it was just me. Most of the live drums I've mixed to date were the ones I had tracked. In those cases I had plenty of time to confer with the drummer and experiment with mic placement. Honestly, I prefer some of those drum recordings over these, and they were recorded with cheap-ass mics in a bedroom by amateurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Heh heh, the biggest problem I'm having is getting in compliance with the -0.5dB/-14.0LUFS thingy. I'm really glad you posted the Orban meter Karbo, but now it's driving me nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Insub's suggestion might be easier, I just wasn't aware of it and had to find my own way so that's what I did. I'm also not going to be losing sleep over 1/2 dB or so; if I get close to that, I'm sticking a fork in it and calling it done.
I wouldn't sweat it either. Honestly, if you're slightly hotter than the requirement is probably better. At least then your mix is unlikely to get limited more for voting distribution. Just your peaks may be ever-so-slightly less then the rest.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote