View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #110
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Thanks Lawrence. Can you possibly address my question in post #89 a little more directly, please? Specifically as it pertains to limiting the signal quality by patching a top quality pre into a low quality USB interface (and would it make a difference if going into a high quality interface).

This thread has taken some interesting turns!
Mic preamps deal with low level signal. So it is important that you bring that level up to line level in a high quality way. Once you're up to line level, no more gain will be added so patching into your less than stellar interface won't be harmful. As long as you use the line inputs. Not the mic preamps again.

The limitation now is that you're using the A/D conversion in your cheaper unit which isn't great, but should still be quite usable.

I've worked with many artists using great mic preamps into Digi 002 or 003 and have gotten stellar results. I don't like to knock the great work of high end A/D conversion but I would worry about that last.

A great mic pre (around 1k) and a great mic (around 1k for vocals) should yield a great sound even with a modest interface. I would then look at outboard compressors and outboards EQs before worrying about your conversion.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote