View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #409
n997
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
Hi there, I don't want to/find it hard to learn music theory so, if my desire is just to be able to write down my musical creations, either by playing around with the key board or possibly writing down tunes in my head, what might be the best/good way to do this. I realise that at the moment the piano keyboard is the norm, but I don't particularly want the written script to be universal, just able to be read back by me to be able to play what I wrote.
If you feel aversions to staff notation, I'd suggest simply using the piano roll in your DAW - and if you need wide compatibility, saving to standard MIDI files (with several backups on different drives/machines for long-term archiving).

If you feel aversion to complexities of music theory, it may be enough to learn just the basics of intervals and scales and chords, while keeping in mind the physics perspective instead of illogical traditions.

If you prefer writing to paper instead of relying on machines, I suggest trying to learn the basics of traditional staff notation, if at all possible. The rudimentary form of staff is quite simple to use after a few weeks (or months, depending on individual) of practice.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote