View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #5
osxmidi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieMfB View Post
This is not directly related to Reaper, but I don't know where else to ask right now.

I've just migrated to Reaper in Debian Linux, after using Adobe Audition 1.5 (!) on Windows 7 for years.

It's taking shape, but what drives me crazy is that I can't seem to get good latency. To quote a user at Reddit, "I do the research, buy the recommended gear, follow the wikis and the how-tos, and scour the internet for just about every "no more XRUNs" tips I can find. And still, there I am grooving in the midst of an awesome take and SPLARBPTTTTTTTTT along comes and XRUN and ruins it."

I'm using an M-Audio Delta 66 PCI soundcard which have always worked flawlessly in both Linux and Windows. But now when using jack, I can't set the buffer (frames/period) to smaller than 1024 (42 ms lacency) without getting xruns. Never had a problem with it in Windows (ASIO).

Currently testing without Reaper, just using jackd/qjackctl and qsynth/fluidsynth with my midi keyboard playing a simple piano soundfont.

I've gone through various checklists, such as this one:
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration

... but to no avail.

Is it really worth it trying a different kernel?
Currently running a newly installed Debian 9 with regular kernel 4.9.130.

Any help greatly appreciated!
I think the M-Audio PCI cards can get pretty good latency with Linux.

I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and the latency is way below 1024.

That's with native vst's, windows vst's are another thing.

It also assumes there are no hardware issues.

I just install the Debian rt kernel and install rtirq-init.

The Debian rt kernel can be installed using something like

uname -a (to get the current kernel version)

then search for kernels using

aptitude search linux-image

and

aptitude search linux-headers

and install a similar kernel version that has rt in it's name (linux-image-rt-amd64 and linux-headers-rt-amd64 )

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-22-2019 at 12:28 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote