View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #402
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
To illustrate what I mean, attached is a crop of a screenshot from Ableton Live's Spectrum with ST (semitone) overlay showing a saw wave.

I find it extremely convenient that the piano keyboard/roll is exactly proportional to the analyser, and that the distances on horizontal scale correspond to how human hearing works.
You have attached equally distant and same size of vertically placed rectangles next to one another with some of them shaded in dark (gray, black) - this is not the piano keyboard, rather an equal distant (simplified geometrically) representation of it - a uniform layout of it! This will work with any such a uniform keyboard layout. You can also shade the rectangles to represent any scale or arpeggio you want. I think in FL Studio you can do that (in order to stay diatonic - as a visual help to which 'correct' notes to choose).

This example has the natural major C scale shifted up (root is D), but I think in FL Studio you can choose from tens if not even a hundred of scales. The piano keyboard though stays the same, because they can not solve its "spacial case" design.
You can also clearly see the awful misalignment between the keyboard and the shifted scale. Inevitable.

Human hearing has nothing to do with that. There is nothing logarithmic about our hearing. We can hear freqs from 20 to 20kHz (a stretched range beyond the average) with favouring 2-3kHz (where babies' voices are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
Traditional theory defines:
step = any movement <= 2nd

skip = any movement > 2nd and <= 4th (i.e.: 3rd or 4th)

* yes, I had to double-check that skip & leap have overlapping distance in their definitions. The ambiguity continues :-X
Skip and Step will usually have the same abbreviation as S-S which will be confusing. Leap is good for movements >2 (>J - jump), for example within scales that have hiatus (which is 3). In arpeggios Leap will be uncertain, but that is why numbering the intervals can come in action as 4 (for major "third"), 5 (for perfect "fourth") and so on.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-07-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote