View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #40
osxmidi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I was emailing with the guy who did it a few years back. And he said he didn't get any help from PACE. He did the wine tweaks on his own.

Do this as a test. Load 16 instances of Kontakt on 16 tracks in Reaper with no instruments loaded. On my system (Manjaro/KDE) with latest Wine Staging, each instance of Kontakt takes up 250MB when looking at system memory usage. So it does not seem to be sharing memory. On Windows, the first instance of Kontakt will take 250MB and then every other instance of Kontakt takes a very small amount of memory.

Next test, load two instances of Kontakt, each with the same instrument. In Windows, only the first instrument instance is loaded into memory. The second duplicate instrument shares memory with the first and doesn't add to the memory usage. In Linux/Wine, they each take up the same amount of memory - so double the memory usage. Again, indicating that memory is not being shared in Wine.

I'm very sorry if I'm not understanding here, but shouldn't the shared memory per VST instance be MUCH higher for instruments like Kontakt? 5MB won't even load the blank plugin with no samples loaded. Having only 5MB of shared memory for multiple Kontakt instances or Omnispheres etc. doesn't seem like it would be of any help at all.
Did the Ilok tweaks work?

As far as I can tell, the Ilok usb needs Windows drivers from PACE.

Wine can't use Windows hardware drivers, so a Linux driver would need to be written and the driver programming specs would need to come from PACE.

I assume that PACE isn't going to give their driver programming specs to just anyone, so maybe a licensing deal could be done but that leaves WineHQ out.

The shared memory is how Xenakios explained it.

LinVst has local shared memory that has nothing to do with Wine, and it's currently around 5MB per instance and it could go down to around 3MB.

All of the rest of the memory management is up to Wine.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-01-2019 at 09:39 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote