Thread: Missing files!
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
toleolu
Human being with feelings

There's a couple of things you can do, if you're not doing them already, that will help you keep all your Reaper files organized so if you ever have to copy things again, you can avoid something like this happening in the future.

The first is in Preferences under General then Paths. The first item is "Default path to save new projects:" If you'll put a directory location here, when you save a project, Reaper will automatically put the saved project there. In your case, that path would look something like this:

C:\Users\jrbow\OneDrive\Desktop\Sound Files\Song Projects

That's just an example based on what you posted earlier, you can create any path you want. By specifying a path for your projects, Reaper will always put your project file(s) in that location.

There's a few other default paths for rendering and recording that you might want to take a look at.

Next, there are a couple of check boxes that appear in the window that opens when you save a new project. One is:

Create subdirectory for project

If you check this box, Reaper will create a new folder in your default path for saved projects that will have the same name as the project. So if you save a new project called "New Song" Reaper will create a folder named "New Song" in your default directory and put the project file in that folder, something like this:

C:\Users\jrbow\OneDrive\Desktop\Sound Files\Song Projects\New Song\New Song.rpp

Below that first check box there are two more check boxes to either move or copy all media to that project folder. By checking one of those boxes, you'll have all the media files associated with your project "New Song" located in the "New Song" folder. The difference between "move" and "copy" is if you have a file located in another folder somewhere and you use that file in your project and you select "move", that file will be moved from the folder it was in, and be put in your new project folder, so that file will no longer appear in that original folder. Copy, on the other hand, will just make a copy of that file and put it in your project folder, so you'll have the same file in two different locations on your computer.

I seem to recall someone mentioning in a past thread that there was a setting in Preferences to do the file copy automatically. I looked for that setting this morning but couldn't find it, perhaps someone else here can respond with where that setting is, or I could possibly be mistaken about having read that.

I realize that this is of no help with respect to your current problem, but hopefully this will help you better organize your project files so something like what you're going through now doesn't happen again.

Good Luck
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote