View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 09:52 PM   #61
ultraleetj
Human being with feelings

oh goodness, a 1024 BPI? just imagine that...
the thing is that, and I am really not sure how ninjam handles bandwidth, but it would be interesting if someone can explain so, as I am on a mobile data connection (so far a few drops and sudden disconnects but nothing major or irksome when participating in jams)
but my understanding is that its done in sort of bursts of bandwidth, if you will. So your client records, compresses and then uploads a file, fast, and the server takes care of synchronicity, decompression, playback and crossfading (I know the crossfading thing because some thread discussed the whole thing by continuously playing a sine wave over a short interval to see how the whole thing would respond and it was smoothed out cleverly at the end of the thread)
So... back to it, your client uploads a file or a chunk, in one second, more or less or that is what the statistic in windows task manager shows. And it will then download all that it can in a short time too, which is the compressed audio from all of the other participants. Which means that if you cannot keep up and download things fast enough, most likely, the server will just drop you.
Even though I have jammed privately and there were a few people who have had bad connections, meaning slow, I guess 1 mbps or less and yes... they do had lots of audio pops and crackles in their audio, but somehow they still manage to do it, even in a 8 person jam!
so... isn't the story interesting after all?
I also tried to get a thread started for creative ideas for jamming but I guess there was not enough interest, or I stated too obvious things.
And yes playin other time sigs and things like a 3/4 blues is a bit more involved but done if you have good musicians with you.
ultraleetj is offline   Reply With Quote